Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

Embrace being shallow, being shallow will keep you from many bad relationships.

Oh man. Boy is that true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

maskenfreiheit posted:

edit: Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.

Aaaand back to grateful. So sorry this person did this to you. :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gonna say though, figure out where the shallow needs to stop. Do not declare that men who play darts in amateur leagues are the only man you'll date.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

The cool thing about going to grad school in the arts is that you get the power combo of the healthy environment that is academia and the stable functional lifestyle of being in the arts

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Penguissimo posted:

The cool thing about going to grad school in the arts is that you get the power combo of the healthy environment that is academia and the stable functional lifestyle of being in the arts

haha

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

it's a nice split of crazies and rich people who can afford an unpaid vice internship

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

5 years removed from the doctorate and I touch computers for a living now and play music for fun and it's loving awesome

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

You're giving me cold sweats just reading this sentence

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

it's a nice split of crazies and rich people who can afford an unpaid vice internship

I dunno about calling it a "split", the Venn diagram there is pretty lunar eclipse-y

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Each department is its own cult, with about the same incidence of mental illness, tho jonestown still has to catch up on total suicides

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

I dunno about calling it a "split", the Venn diagram there is pretty lunar eclipse-y

no i mean, i met plenty of well adjusted folks in both the arts and sciences who simply enjoyed a topic and were otherwise relatively normal. they all came from pretty affluent families though. (or worked for a while and saved up money, like the guy who did infosec consulting for a decade then switched to journalism)

if i was independently wealthy i'd probably do a phd in cryptography or something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

no i mean, i met plenty of well adjusted folks in both the arts and sciences who simply enjoyed a topic and were otherwise relatively normal. they all came from pretty affluent families though. (or worked for a while and saved up money, like the guy who did infosec consulting for a decade then switched to journalism)

if i was independently wealthy i'd probably do a phd in cryptography or something.

Basically at this point I would be very unlikely to recommend grad school to anyone without "gently caress you" money.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My girlfriend [25F] would like to move in with me [23M] in order to save money while in grad school, but I don't want her to.Dating

quote:

My girlfriend recently finished her bachelor's degree in humanities at NYU and is applying for master's degree programs. She didn't work during college and her apartment (midtown Manhattan) was paid for by her parents.

Now that she's graduated, her parents have pulled the plug on paying her rent, and are telling her to get a job. She asked them to continue paying for her rent while she's in grad school but they refused. Now she got hired as a sales associate at Nieman Marcus but only earns a basic salary, no commission. She has as of yet not been accepted to any grad school but she is aiming for NYU, and wants to stay in Manhattan.

Now about me. I graduated from the same college two years ago (I skipped one year of high school so that's why I'm younger) with a degree in accounting. I haven't been to graduate school myself but my salary at a large firm allows me to live in Manhattan on my current pay. I have a one bedroom apartment. I have outstanding student loan payments in the sum of around $42,000 (I worked as a waiter in school) but my employer is subsidizing part of it and the payments are easily manageable with my lifestyle. My employer will also subsidize my future MBA after I've worked for them five years and have established a good record.

My girlfriend wants to move in with me, and frankly I don't really want her in my apartment. We've been dating since I was a senior in college, so close to three years. She was a sophomore but was two years behind her average age group because she went on a tour of Europe after high school.

I love her but also enjoy my privacy and being at home with my own things and no one else's. Plus, my place is too small for two people. I have one bedroom but the entire apartment is only 400 square feet.

Also, she has a cat and I know she has no plans of getting rid of it. I do not like her cat. I suggested she get a roommate but she says she doesn't want to move in with strangers. Her parents are in Connecticut which is a long train ride but she could live there since her classes only would require her to come to campus once a week really. And she hasn't even been accepted into NYU's masters program yet. She says she doesn't want to live with her parents, either.

We've had some idle talk about getting engaged and I do see myself as her husband someday.

She says that since we're going to get married someday I should let her move in. When I suggested that maybe she pay some kind of rent she told me it was tacky.

She says that when she graduates with her MA, she can support me while I'm in school so, in her opinion, it's fair.

She thinks I'm being unreasonable in not wanting her to move in with me, and that my not wanting to have her live with me means that I don't want to marry her someday.

What suggestions could I make to her for alternative living arrangements? Am I actually being a selfish jerk for not wanting her to move in with me?

I've been thinking maybe we should move in together, but maybe find another, larger place. I can't afford a larger place right now, though.

What to do? Am I being greedy or disloyal here?

tl;dr: Girlfriend wants to move in with me to save money while going to grad school. I don't want her to move in, told her so, and now she thinks I don't really love her.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

Now that you mention it, I guess I did know that one guy who met that description. Nice guy, talented, worked hard, and by far the most successful of anyone in my graduating class (he got a job selling swimming pools).

Pick posted:

Each department is its own cult, with about the same incidence of mental illness, tho jonestown still has to catch up on total suicides
I don't dare ask what things are like in the sciences, but the oboe studio always seems to be noticeably denser in lunatics even by the standards of the music program

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

How's this - divorce, a hot, loving new wife/stepmom, and limited visitation for the untreated depressive sadsack?

The OSU marching band spells out "Divorce" in perfect cursive

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

My girlfriend [25F] would like to move in with me [23M] in order to save money while in grad school, but I don't want her to.Dating

You don't really love her, which is a good thing. It shows good instincts. :sever:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

maskenfreiheit posted:

She sounds like a spoiled, entitled brat and a manipulative mooch.

Then again, he hates a cat. I'm torn.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My (23m) wife (23f) is in grad school right now and is struggling with a Physics class. And it's putting strain on our relationship.Relationships

quote:

My wife and I have been together for 7 years married one. Right now she is in grad school to get her master's of education. She wants to be a Biology teacher and in order for her to be as broad as possible she has to take a Physics course in order to be certified to teach physics and chemistry.

She is not good at math, so chemistry and physics are hard for her and she is struggling. She has 3 assignments a week and each one turn into a 3 hour yelling and crying scenario. I am not good at physics either, and I'm not taking the class so I'm not helpful. Each night she does homework I try to help as much as possible but I just end up sitting there next to my wife who is either yelling or crying.

It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to be in the same room as her when she is doing her homework. I suggest she go to the tutoring session and talk to her professor and TA's, but she never does. She went to the physics help lab today but left after 20min because it was less than helpful she said. I don't know how to support her anymore than I already have, I feel helpless because I can't help he with her homework. But I am also tired of being an emotional punching bag. It's making me dread coming home after work to her just crying and yelling for 3 hours. Please help me Reddit.

TL;DR. My wife is in a Physics class and is struggling and being very emotional and I don't know how to help anymore.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
She should date the homeless guy. There's no reason the whole "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" thing can't be extended to romantic partners.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

My (23m) wife (23f) is in grad school right now and is struggling with a Physics class. And it's putting strain on our relationship.Relationships

Reminds me of that time I canceled a date last minute because I couldn't get through grading fast enough. Don't date grad students. :smith:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Me [23F] with a grad school classmate [28?F] whose behavior is consistently totally inappropriate in the past 3 monthsNon-Romantic

quote:

I am one semester in to a science PhD program, and am one of 4 women in a cohort of 25. Classes are going well, and everyone has been getting along really nicely, with the exception of one student.

This woman is an international student, and clearly book smart. But she has been struggling to adjust to the new curriculum and standards. She consistently interrupts professors during lecture and asks questions that are totally off base. She asks fellow students for help with problems and then interrupts to tell them that they are totally wrong. She was having difficulty installing software on her computer, and felt that that was something she should go to the department head for help with.

These problems are mostly academic, and while they are uncomfortable to watch happen, they don't really affect anyone but her. However, she is also particularly challenging to spend time with. She has very poor social skills, and is not a nice person. She is very entitled, and incredibly rude. She has no car, and asks for rides constantly, where she will have loud phone conversations and never say thank you. She is very critical and makes cruel comments about her peers on the shared group message.

Something is clearly wrong. I have been trying so hard to give her the benefit of the doubt: she is far from home, struggling academically and socially, and must be feeling incredibly isolated. It is likely that she will not last another semester in the program, as she has burned bridges with students and faculty alike.

But she has reached out to me for friendship many times, and I am feeling increasingly reluctant to help her. How can I gracefully deal with this situation? I do not feel I can intervene in her behavior in any way, she is incredibly sensitive to criticism. She makes me feel very uncomfortable and additionally, I do not want to alienate the rest of my cohort. But it feels incredibly callous and cruel to just ignore her cries for help. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before? What is my responsibility to her as one of relatively few women in our cohort? Any advice is appreciated.

tl;dr: Struggling but incredibly unpleasant fellow student is reaching out to me, and I don't know how to respond

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Me [23F] with a grad school classmate [28?F] whose behavior is consistently totally inappropriate in the past 3 monthsNon-Romantic

Befriend her, you will soon find that she is the least crazy, entitled, and cruel person there. You just don't know it yet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

maskenfreiheit posted:

It'll all get fixed once she makes her husband help her on the chapter about Escape Velocity.

Maybe I don't get grad school but like, why is she in a Physics class if she sucks this bad at it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

It'll all get fixed once she makes her husband help her on the chapter about Escape Velocity.

Maybe I don't get grad school but like, why is she in a Physics class if she sucks this bad at it?

It's important to make everyone as crazy and suicidal as possible with only the vaguest justification.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Barudak posted:

Unlike functioning democracies where a physics teacher would have an MS in physics American teachers do a smattering of :airquote:”education”:airquote: classes and a solitary physics class

Having not taken math since HS this leads to much ennui

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

maskenfreiheit posted:

Unlike functioning democracies where a physics teacher would have an MS in physics American teachers do a smattering of :airquote:”education”:airquote: classes and a solitary physics class

Having not taken math since HS this leads to much ennui

Yeah you can go into mechanical engineering woohoo. *farts*

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
To be somewhat fair if you can't handle the basic courses in a variety in STEM fields you probably shouldn't be teaching any of them because they all relate to each other and plenty of students seeking real world examples of the applications of any of the individual fields would be served well by a teacher who has at least rudimentary knowledge of other STEM subjects as they relate to their own topic.

Intro level physics is just like the bare bones of applying math to the real world.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

maskenfreiheit posted:

quote:

tl;dr: Struggling but incredibly unpleasant fellow student is reaching out to me, and I don't know how to respond

Shut her down; hard. A lot of us tried to be cordial with a few of the unpleasant students in my MA cohort. They were the nastiest, gossipy, self-centered people and were a total drain to be around. Also everyone learned fast to not share anything remotely personal with them, because they would immediately turn around and poo poo-talk about it to everyone else.

But they always wondered/bitched why they were never invited to lunch study sessions or happy hour.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

It's ok for kids to watch stuff they don't totally get. Hell it's fine for anyone to do this. I bet most people who see great art don't really "get" it but good on them for trying.

I haven't done anything artistic in a few years, but this is always how I felt. Honest emotional reactions were always better than anything else. One child's genuine laughter--even if totally inappropriate--is easily worth ten people jacking off about the mise en scene or whatever.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah I'm not familiar with how things work in the US, can she really teach physics (at a high school level I assume) just by taking a course in grad school? Why does she even want to teach physics if she hates it and sucks at it?

I've been teaching advanced orgo for a couple of years now, and it still amazes me how every semester at least like a third of the students have a high school level understanding of organic chemistry and inevitably flunk out of grad school. But at least these are people who actually thought they were somewhat competent and wanted to pursue a career in organic chemistry I guess?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Read again, she doesn't want to teach physics, she wants to teach biology.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Some schools will give out emergency credentials to people with BS's and then provide on-the-job training. A lot of schools are desperate because most people who go into STEM do not want to teach children. My buddy got his teaching job at a high school with a BS in physics. He never had to go through a credential program but he did have to do BTSA.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011

Pick posted:

Read again, she doesn't want to teach physics, she wants to teach biology.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I misread the "she has to take a Physics course in order to be certified to teach physics and chemistry" part as her wanting to actually teach physics and chemistry as well as biology. Still, from what I can tell she's only taking this class because she wants to be certified to teach physics and chemistry? Which is kinda sad

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

failing forward posted:

Some schools will give out emergency credentials to people with BS's and then provide on-the-job training. A lot of schools are desperate because most people who go into STEM do not want to teach children. My buddy got his teaching job at a high school with a BS in physics. He never had to go through a credential program but he did have to do BTSA.
There's kind of a death spiral here, too. American schools don't want to pay teachers more than the bare minimum, and their idea of performance measurement is standardized testing (which is probably the worst possible way to measure teaching effectiveness, but it's "objective" and doesn't require the administration to do anything). So smart people who aren't complete martyrs won't go into teaching, because it pays garbage. And then the quality of teaching is low enough that the school district can't justify paying the teachers more. This even extends to universities, where an increasing percentage of undergraduate classes are taught by grad students on minuscule stipends or by non-tenure-track "lecturers".

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hi, me again, from page 1917 this time.

I miss the maskenfreit mirthless comedy hour, it was somehow preferable to this.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

my mum married her lecturer when she was doing her PhD and then they went and had Socialist shenanigans in 1980s Britain (helping striking miners, fighting Nazis, getting arrested etc)

they are no longer together but are still friends

anyway that's my story

Whorelord fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 31, 2017

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Sounds like the world could use nazi-punching mom again.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Incoherence posted:

There's kind of a death spiral here, too. American schools don't want to pay teachers more than the bare minimum, and their idea of performance measurement is standardized testing (which is probably the worst possible way to measure teaching effectiveness, but it's "objective" and doesn't require the administration to do anything). So smart people who aren't complete martyrs won't go into teaching, because it pays garbage. And then the quality of teaching is low enough that the school district can't justify paying the teachers more. This even extends to universities, where an increasing percentage of undergraduate classes are taught by grad students on minuscule stipends or by non-tenure-track "lecturers".

Before I was committed to a major in college I briefly considered becoming a teacher. Then I just kind of thought "wait, teachers get paid poo poo in this country and also nobody respects them."

And that was the end of that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Chomp8645 posted:

Before I was committed to a major in college I briefly considered becoming a teacher. Then I just kind of thought "wait, teachers get paid poo poo in this country and also nobody respects them."

And that was the end of that.

I had this internal struggle in 2007 and was like "gently caress it, I'll just go into IT".

Turns out your liver is going to fail no matter what career you take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Incoherence posted:

Or alternatively, the professor simply gives the lectures (aka reads the slides that came with the teaching copy of the textbook) and then the grad students hold labs, lectures etc. But technically it's not taught by a grad student, we're Commited To A Strong Liberal Arts Education