Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

That's how they ran out of writing staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ku Klux Klam and scratchtasia. great stuff

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

GIRL BRAINS posted:

Boy I hope somebody got fired for those blunders

Blunders....or wonders?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Benny Harvey posted:

Blunders....or wonders?
I think that's implode by what I said.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I just got to season four. It's such a great season. Though season 2 and 3 were great too. Tons of different types of jokes with a healthy mix of subtle, subversive, or visual humour. I am noticing that celebrity cameos have always been a thing. I guess it's just the quality and direction that is horrendous. Even one of the earliest episodes that completely centered around celebrities, the baseball episode, allowed celebs to be made fun of and allowed them that cartooney personality. Having Daryl Strawberry be a suckup and a brat teasing Homer or Ken Griffey Jr, when asked if he was better than a plant worker reply "Well, I don't know you - but yes" we're pretty great uses of talent. I don't know. Maybe when I get to the higher seasons I'll forgive the celebrity cameos and focus back on poor directing, writing, and show running.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Houle posted:

I just got to season four. It's such a great season.

Season 4 is great, it's really where they hit their stride.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I just watched the comet episode from season 6 and holy poo poo - that's in serious Best Episode Ever territory.

"Flanders, get out - my family needs to use your bomb shelter"
"Well I figured this might happen, so I made the shelter big enough for both our families!"
"No deal, out"

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

webmeister posted:

I just watched the comet episode from season 6 and holy poo poo - that's in serious Best Episode Ever territory.

"Well I figured this might happen, so I made the shelter big enough for both our families!"
"No deal, out"

this is a Twilight Zone episode

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Houle posted:

I just got to season four. It's such a great season. Though season 2 and 3 were great too. Tons of different types of jokes with a healthy mix of subtle, subversive, or visual humour. I am noticing that celebrity cameos have always been a thing. I guess it's just the quality and direction that is horrendous. Even one of the earliest episodes that completely centered around celebrities, the baseball episode, allowed celebs to be made fun of and allowed them that cartooney personality. Having Daryl Strawberry be a suckup and a brat teasing Homer or Ken Griffey Jr, when asked if he was better than a plant worker reply "Well, I don't know you - but yes" we're pretty great uses of talent. I don't know. Maybe when I get to the higher seasons I'll forgive the celebrity cameos and focus back on poor directing, writing, and show running.

The celebrity cameos are a kind of a cargo cult thing I think. It’s not bad in itself to have them. Later seasons just tastelessly bung them in all the time because That’s What Simpsons Does, not just because they ran out of ideas. Even like Marge vs The Monorail, which a lot of people in this thread have praised and which I totally love, has the out-of-loving-nowhere appearance of Nimoy. You can say a similar thing about the Simpsons becoming “too cartoonish” or “unrealistic”, at the end of this episode Nimoy transports away ffs! The later seasons are bad because they’re just aping concepts from earlier in the show without any of the humor or good writing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

The celebrity cameos are a kind of a cargo cult thing I think. It’s not bad in itself to have them. Later seasons just tastelessly bung them in all the time because That’s What Simpsons Does, not just because they ran out of ideas. Even like Marge vs The Monorail, which a lot of people in this thread have praised and which I totally love, has the out-of-loving-nowhere appearance of Nimoy. You can say a similar thing about the Simpsons becoming “too cartoonish” or “unrealistic”, at the end of this episode Nimoy transports away ffs! The later seasons are bad because they’re just aping concepts from earlier in the show without any of the humor or good writing.

To defend it, Nemoy doesn't show up and become the central focus of the plot. It doesn't really feel terribly out of place because minor celebrities show up to unveilings of things all the time. A modern episode would revolve around the Simpsons somehow being the only people who can get Nemoy to the launch of the monorail by tricking him into thinking he's back on Star Trek.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There's a big difference between "here's Celebrity, to do Thing Related to Celebrity's Fame and also they have jokes written that don't hinge on Thing" and "It's Celebrity! Isn't the thing they're famous for funny or weird? Thing! Thing thing thing"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Last season had an episode with a couple New York Times editor/writers in Homer's living room and a some chess grandmaster guest star and all I could think was "who could possibly give a poo poo!? Who is the target audience for these guests!?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Last season had an episode with a couple New York Times editor/writers in Homer's living room and a some chess grandmaster guest star and all I could think was "who could possibly give a poo poo!? Who is the target audience for these guests!?"

See also: Julian Assange, and Elon Musk.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
did they ever make an episode where the entire family breaks the fourth wall and pleads with the audience to let them die

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Police Automaton posted:

did they ever make an episode where the entire family breaks the fourth wall and pleads with the audience to let them die

yeah it's actually the main plot of the last ~400 episodes

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Iron Crowned posted:

See also: Julian Assange, and Elon Musk.

Oh come on now, they didn't bring a rapist in as their guest voice, you can't b..

Now the writers are just being spiteful.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Police Automaton posted:

Ah the "lost" simpsons episode where it has a hyper realistic Homer crying over his dead families bodies. There is no soundtrack to the episode, you can only hear Homer's raspy breathing and weeping. Homer begins begging to the camera to kill him, but all you can hear is Dan Castellaneta. He's not even using his Homer voice, just begging for you to let him die. He lets slip that the other actors have been dead for years, they just recycle past voice work.

You can watch this episode if you spin the fourth Season 8 DVD backwards.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
did anyone ever mention the time that marge was actually in real life playboy, for real, naked in playboy as an official thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
scrolling through what was on tv last night the episode guide for a 25th season episode was that bart gains a new friend after homer reverts to the mind of a 10 year old or something

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

webmeister posted:

"No deal, out"

The little chihuahua that walks up to the remains of the comet was a nice call back to Homer being right about what would happen :allears:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It’s not that they’ve run out of ideas it’s that the ideas no longer make any sense

Bart gets a girl pregnant
Bart has a heart attack
Bart drives a car

He’s 10 ffs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Houle posted:

Even one of the earliest episodes that completely centered around celebrities, the baseball episode, allowed celebs to be made fun of and allowed them that cartooney personality. Having Daryl Strawberry be a suckup and a brat teasing Homer or Ken Griffey Jr, when asked if he was better than a plant worker reply "Well, I don't know you - but yes" we're pretty great uses of talent.
one of my favorite all-time simpsons lines is don mattingly saying that burns is still better than george steinbrenner after he gets kicked off the team

the treehouse of horror IV episode where the 1975 Philadelphia Flyers appear in the jury of the damned is great too

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
1976 :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ALFbrot posted:

did anyone ever mention the time that marge was actually in real life playboy, for real, naked in playboy as an official thing

Matt Groening drew it himself.

As a reminder, Marge is based on his mother.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Not a Children posted:

There's a big difference between "here's Celebrity, to do Thing Related to Celebrity's Fame and also they have jokes written that don't hinge on Thing" and "It's Celebrity! Isn't the thing they're famous for funny or weird? Thing! Thing thing thing"

Lady Gaga is so weird you guys (buy her records!!!) and would totally love to hang out with a random working class family. Homer also loves contemporary poopoo-pop.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

the rest of it is indefensible but diePod is a pretty good pun

That's how I guessed the episode wasn't made in the last ten years and I was right.

"What music and scenery you'd like?"
"Gimme Glen Miller and cops beating hippies!"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWI_ECKrBc

I was thinking of this joke today and laughed, I still could not believe they aired it when I first saw it, even with the disclaimer

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

why the gently caress is bart dating girls on the regular? even when you factor in the seasons when it slowly declined into what it is now, i can only think of two times where that was a plot point: the season 6 episode where he falls for Rev. Lovejoy's daughter, and the episode where he falls for some girl and the episode ends with them in canada. he was strictly anti-girls

Honestly even in the 90s the series wasn't sure how to portray Bart consistently. He'd go from being a loser whose only friend was Milhouse and was bullied constantly to a cool dude who just didn't give a poo poo that the other kids seemed to respect multiple times in a season

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

54 40 or gently caress posted:

No joke, this is why Hayao Miyazaki hates anime. He straight up said it’s made by shut ins who don’t actually watch or interact with humans and modern animation is stiff and lifeless because of it

Funny enough they had a few fight sequences in Naruto that are very fluid and elastic and interesting but everyone HATED them because they thought they were too stupid and cartoony looking. They're different from most of the other fights enough that I feel like they had to be animated by a different studio, like the one who did FLCL or Kill la Kill. I thought they were cool as hell though, so it's probably more that anime companies know their idiot followers don't like too much change and tend to stick with what's familiar for profit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ8BhNRcsHI

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly even in the 90s the series wasn't sure how to portray Bart consistently. He'd go from being a loser whose only friend was Milhouse and was bullied constantly to a cool dude who just didn't give a poo poo that the other kids seemed to respect multiple times in a season

So, pretty much the life of your average elementary school kid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Aesop Poprock posted:

Honestly that sounds like the way things worked when I was ten during the early 90s.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 3, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

call it a compromise and say the 1975-76 flyers because NHL seasons go over two years

Aesop Poprock posted:

that's a good point, after season 2 they stopped portraying him exclusively as a bad boy. he regularly shifted between being a dick and being a sensitive guy that wants to make things right

the whole "no girls" thing was kind of a constant outside of the two episodes i mentioned

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
There was also that episode where Bart had a crush on the babysitter from next door. I only really remember him being anti-girl when Milhouse got a girlfriend.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Junk posted:

There was also that episode where Bart had a crush on the babysitter from next door. I only really remember him being anti-girl when Milhouse got a girlfriend.
gently caress, how did i forget about that one? on the other hand, the bart simpson guide to life had a section about cooties and he talks about cooties in Homer Badman. girls just weren't really a thing for him unless they fit the bad girl image. now he's some kind of mopey lovesick loser

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Junk posted:

It always annoyed me that that character and her mother didn't become reoccurring characters. They were pretty cool and would have been a funny contrast to the Flanders.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

khwarezm posted:

It always annoyed me that that character and her mother didn't become reoccurring characters. They were pretty cool and would have been a funny contrast to the Flanders.

There’s a continuity error where Ruth Powers shows up for Maggie’s baby shower despite it being a prequel episode.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

khwarezm posted:

The mom was often in background crowd scenes after that, no more :(

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Code Jockey posted:

I was thinking of this joke today and laughed, I still could not believe they aired it when I first saw it, even with the disclaimer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

this joke is the crystallization of the rat-faced kid who sat next to me in middle school. it's the pedantry of the modern goon combined with the humor sensibilities of youtube commenters. gently caress you al jean, probably.