Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Proper post holes are a bell shape so the post is harder to pull out and is more lean resistant. You will probably not encounter these ever unless you are yanking out a commercial swing set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
One house we looked at during our search had a a laundry line attached to a pole that was embedded in a concrete post block located more or less in the middle of the yard. Guess they were really worried about their laundry line falling over.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

novamute posted:

Any way to remove an old standalone newspaper box that is easier than trying to dig the drat metal post out? Looks like it goes pretty deep. Nobody gets a paper anymore and even if they did it'd just get dumped in the driveway anyway. I could just angle grind it off I guess but I'd rather get the metal out of the ground if I can. It has holes through it, if I found some rebar or something small enough there might be a chance I could just get a car jack under it.

If you happen to have access to a truck/chain and have an old wheel, you can but the wheel up to the post, run the chain as close to ground as possible and hook to post, then other end to truck. Then pull it out with the truck. The wheel makes sure the pulling force goes up instead of to the side.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

z0331 posted:

One house we looked at during our search had a a laundry line attached to a pole that was embedded in a concrete post block located more or less in the middle of the yard. Guess they were really worried about their laundry line falling over.

This reminds me of one we had as a kid. It was a rural house so they build the post out of what they had on hand, in this case two 6 inch ibeams with a bar welded to the top. Now these beams are a pain to cut and these were pretty long so you just use the back hoe to dig a deeper hole. Anyway fast forward 15 years into the future and some unfortunate bread truck driver hits some ice falls asleep whatever happened and runs off the road right into one of the poles. Luckily he was not going too fast and didn't die but he totaled his truck. We had bread all over the yard.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Elephanthead posted:

Proper post holes are a bell shape so the post is harder to pull out and is more lean resistant. You will probably not encounter these ever unless you are yanking out a commercial swing set.

Also as the ground goes through freeze/thaw cycles the expansion of the ground will actively lock the anchoring in place (pushing it down from the top part of the bell) rather than possibly working it upwards/outwards.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Our neighbors helped us pull a couple of those with a post puller that worked like a car jack.

They got one out, and the other one sheared off at ground level. If I were to do again, I would dig first.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum

QuarkJets posted:

Posts about posts
There are some products that are made to fix just this issue.
https://www.strongtie.com/fences_decksandfences/ezproducts_productgroup_wcc/p/e-z-base.-e-z-mender.e-z-spike
I'd also consider whacking one of the concrete bases with a sledge and see if the 2 foot part isn't just a few inches deep, if it is full depth it seems a waste not to just use these existing oversized bases.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bibendum posted:

There are some products that are made to fix just this issue.
https://www.strongtie.com/fences_decksandfences/ezproducts_productgroup_wcc/p/e-z-base.-e-z-mender.e-z-spike
I'd also consider whacking one of the concrete bases with a sledge and see if the 2 foot part isn't just a few inches deep, if it is full depth it seems a waste not to just use these existing oversized bases.

My bullshit posts aren't 4x4s. They're about a quarter inch smaller (aka 3.25" instead of 3.5"). So these things would be too big, and looking around other people have posts like mine and complained that these things don't come in the size they need

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Noticed that irrigation timer didn't have power, so I ran to Home Depot for a new transformer, which didn't work, so I went back for a new irrigation timer. And then I noticed that one of my automatic valves was leaking, so I ran to Home Depot again for a new one of those (none of the hardware stores here sell just the parts for them). Have blown my whole saturday just replacing irrigation poo poo

homeownership!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuarkJets posted:

Noticed that irrigation timer didn't have power, so I ran to Home Depot for a new transformer, which didn't work, so I went back for a new irrigation timer. And then I noticed that one of my automatic valves was leaking, so I ran to Home Depot again for a new one of those (none of the hardware stores here sell just the parts for them). Have blown my whole saturday just replacing irrigation poo poo

homeownership!

Planning a project, going to Home Depot, getting home, and completing the project without forgetting anything, and with no unexpected problems causing you to have to return to Home Depot makes you feel like a loving god.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Home depot will take things back. I usually cut my loses and plan two trips, one I buy the entire inventory of parts for whatever I am fixing, then the second trip I return what I didn't use.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Home depot will take things back. I usually cut my loses and plan two trips, one I buy the entire inventory of parts for whatever I am fixing, then the second trip I return what I didn't use.

And buy that washer you dropped down the drain forever.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Squirrels kept trying to dig up the flowers my wife planted, so I bought some repellent and sprayed it, and this kind of feels like a situation where the cure is worse than the disease because now I am assailed by an awful smell every time I use the front door.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Feed the squirrels so they stop vandalizing your flower bed.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

I put some static cling window tinting film on my front door - it's the only window in the house that didn't already have film professionally installed on it. The instructions say to leave a 1/16th gap around the film to leave room for thermal expansion of the film, so it looks pretty good but there is a noticeable strip of brightness at the bottom of the window.

Does anyone happen to know if it would be OK to put a thin bead of caulk/silicone over the edge of the film to the wood trim of the window? Or would that screw up the film's ability to expand in the heat? I would probably only do the bottom edge because the top and sides don't really have the same bright line - must be the way the light reflects through the glass.

Here is the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HE57JS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

homeownership!

The real trick is buying a house that's only a few minutes away from a hardware store!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

devicenull posted:

The real trick is buying a house that's only a few minutes away from a hardware store!

Ace is down the road but carried neither the transformer I needed nor 6-station irrigation timers

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

QuarkJets posted:

Ace is down the road but carried neither the transformer I needed nor 6-station irrigation timers

Considering every Ace Hardware I have ever been in seemed to have at least half of its shelves empty with the rest being seasonal crap that they put by the door at a Home Depot or Lowes that does not shock me.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Sprinklerwarehouse.com has reasonable prices and a good selection, I’ve found.

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

Elephanthead posted:

Feed the squirrels so they stop vandalizing your flower bed.

Does this really work? My mother-in-law is constantly complaining to me about the squirrels digging up her planters and the best solution I can come up with is to get her a pellet gun.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Does this really work? My mother-in-law is constantly complaining to me about the squirrels digging up her planters and the best solution I can come up with is to get her a pellet gun.

I'm hoping it was a joke because squirrels can pack away ungodly amounts of seed if you have it freely available. They are tree rats, and unless you have a healthy raptor population there are probably too many if them for your neighborhood anyway.

Same goes for white tail deer anywhere on the east coast.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Economic Sinkhole posted:

Take up falconry.

Edit: f;b

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm hoping it was a joke because squirrels can pack away ungodly amounts of seed if you have it freely available. They are tree rats, and unless you have a healthy raptor population there are probably too many if them for your neighborhood anyway.

Same goes for white tail deer anywhere on the east coast.

The other thing I've read is that this has the opposite of the desired effect by encouraging squirrels to think of your home as a place to look for food

On the plus side the repellent stinks a lot less after a day but I don't know if it works yet.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I have no idea how to stop squirrels from doing squirrel things please don't expect success listening to me. Killing them all would probably be effective. Maybe feed them in the neighbors yard.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Science Friday was talking about a new laser repellent system for blueberry growers, basically the lasers mimic some peripheral sense of a predator coming down, and it really works amazingly well over a long period for birds.

... It's only about ten thousand dollars per unit...

In some thread a goon was talking about DIYing a small cheap electric fence from tractor supply... Maybe something worth looking into?

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I have no idea how to stop squirrels from doing squirrel things please don't expect success listening to me. Killing them all would probably be effective. Maybe feed them in the neighbors yard.

You kill them, and then more come back. Squirrels are a nightmare here (Colorado with big trees) and my policy is to trap and kill anytime they are caught in garden or chicken feed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone have a through the wall combined air conditioner/heater? I'm finally realizing the cold room I have with a horrible draft is due to this idiotic thing. I think I can seal the outside while it's on heater mode without an issue but am going to try to research more, and then also cover the whole interior when it's not running. What a pain in the rear end

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone have a through the wall combined air conditioner/heater? I'm finally realizing the cold room I have with a horrible draft is due to this idiotic thing. I think I can seal the outside while it's on heater mode without an issue but am going to try to research more, and then also cover the whole interior when it's not running. What a pain in the rear end

I think the current deal is to do a mini split where the only hole is for a refrigerant pipe to pass through instead of a window AC type hole. You need a spot on the ground for a mini split though.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
Anyone have any experience with single versus two stage heating and cooling? We're looking to replace our two complete HVAC units, and after going over some options we're trying to decide between single stage or multi stage systems.

Specifically we're looking at either a Lennox 14ACX + EL180E for single stage heating/cooling or a Lennox XC16 + SL280V for two stage heating/cooling. However both my wife and I have only ever lived in houses with single stage heating/cooling so we have no idea what we're actually missing by not having the two stage system. Another option is to split these up and get 2 stage heat + single stage air, or single stage heat + 2 stage air. Looking online it's hard to find much information other than the two stage provides for more comfort, but thats really hard to quantify. If you had upgraded from a single to a two stage system, did you notice a big difference? The cost difference (for this, our first quote) is about $5000 combined for both units.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I do not like about my single stage AC unit is the single stage units are cheaper and louder. If I did it again I would wire a more expense AC to run in single stage. (My house is dumb and full blast is the only effective cooling for an open upstairs area).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Anyone have any experience with single versus two stage heating and cooling? We're looking to replace our two complete HVAC units, and after going over some options we're trying to decide between single stage or multi stage systems.

Specifically we're looking at either a Lennox 14ACX + EL180E for single stage heating/cooling or a Lennox XC16 + SL280V for two stage heating/cooling.

Looking online this looks like the kind of thing heat pump systems do with variable blower and heat/cool rates and it is indeed glorious if your home holds its temperature. The system runs for much longer periods of time but at whisper quiet levels. You would want to ensure your home is correctly air sealed, have insulation in your walls and attic, double paned windows, etc. It really helps prevent "oh god I am freezing my hands off directly under this air vent while everyone else is comfortable" and "turn up the TV the A/C just kicked on."

You pay handsomely for this. If you don't care or haven't noticed your current system just get a modern equivalent.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Looking online this looks like the kind of thing heat pump systems do with variable blower and heat/cool rates and it is indeed glorious if your home holds its temperature. The system runs for much longer periods of time but at whisper quiet levels. You would want to ensure your home is correctly air sealed, have insulation in your walls and attic, double paned windows, etc. It really helps prevent "oh god I am freezing my hands off directly under this air vent while everyone else is comfortable" and "turn up the TV the A/C just kicked on."

You pay handsomely for this. If you don't care or haven't noticed your current system just get a modern equivalent.

I *assume* we have all of those things since our house was built in 2003, but you never know... I guess I'll need to decide if having less blasting cold/hot air coming directly out of the vents and a quieter runtime is worth the $5k. Thanks!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
This is a terrible assumption.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I *assume* we have all of those things since our house was built in 2003, but you never know... I guess I'll need to decide if having less blasting cold/hot air coming directly out of the vents and a quieter runtime is worth the $5k. Thanks!

Do not assume. Get an energy audit.

Odds are you've got decent enough insulation almost everywhere it needs to be, and a couple of missed spots that make it all worthless. Because houses are great.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Taking a look at an older home from the 1940s. It's cute and has excellent room sizes on the downstairs, but the upstairs leaves a lot to be desired. The staircase is narrow and steep (not much of a deal breaker imo except moving in will suck) but the two 'real' bedrooms have extreme sloped ceilings and the third bedroom (listed as loft space because it does not have a built-in closet) uses prefab walls instead of drywall on studs.

Am I right in assuming it would potentially be impossible to replace those prefab walls with real walls because of weight issues? The prefab walls look cheap and trashy and I'm having horrible flashbacks to summer vacations to my grandparents' mobile home.

We'll get a contractor to look at it as well but the more insight the better. I'd post pictures but imgur is not cooperating.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

just another posted:

Taking a look at an older home from the 1940s. It's cute and has excellent room sizes on the downstairs, but the upstairs leaves a lot to be desired. The staircase is narrow and steep (not much of a deal breaker imo except moving in will suck) but the two 'real' bedrooms have extreme sloped ceilings and the third bedroom (listed as loft space because it does not have a built-in closet) uses prefab walls instead of drywall on studs.

Am I right in assuming it would potentially be impossible to replace those prefab walls with real walls because of weight issues? The prefab walls look cheap and trashy and I'm having horrible flashbacks to summer vacations to my grandparents' mobile home.

We'll get a contractor to look at it as well but the more insight the better. I'd post pictures but imgur is not cooperating.

Sounds like a typical Cape Cod. It's kind of hard to figure out remotely if the home has any structural issues, but if a framed wall is enough to stress the structure, there is something hilariously wrong with the house. Most likely it was a lazy/cheap renovation, or they were trying to save space (a framed wall is usually around 5-6" wide).

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Specifically we're looking at either a Lennox 14ACX + EL180E for single stage heating/cooling or a Lennox XC16 + SL280V for two stage heating/cooling. However both my wife and I have only ever lived in houses with single stage heating/cooling so we have no idea what we're actually missing by not having the two stage system. Another option is to split these up and get 2 stage heat + single stage air, or single stage heat + 2 stage air. Looking online it's hard to find much information other than the two stage provides for more comfort, but thats really hard to quantify. If you had upgraded from a single to a two stage system, did you notice a big difference? The cost difference (for this, our first quote) is about $5000 combined for both units.

An update to this, the HVAC contractor I had out just emailed me with another set of options, both two stage cooling/heating but 80% vs 96% efficient. This time instead of Lennox he was using Goodman brand (saying that while they've been a Lennox Premiere Dealer for awhile, they've just recently become a Goodman Premiere Dealer and started selling Goodman as well). From what I can tell online, it appears like Goodman is a decent brand (and it has a better warranty, 10 years parts and labor vs 10 year parts) that gets a bad reputation because they'll sell to practically anyone and installation matters more than the actual brand name. Is that a pretty accurate estimate? The prices for the Goodman install is about $6000 less than the Lennox 2 stage (and is cheaper than the Lennox single stage as well) so unless there's a reason to prefer Lennox over Goodman when installed by the same person, it seems like a no brainer to me.

If it matters, the model numbers on the Goodman units are GMVC80+DSXC16 or GMVC96+DSCX16.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your research on Goodman is correct. They are a middle of the road brand with middle of the road features/quality that are absolutely comparable to other middle of the road units.

I have one in my bar that I've been abusing for many years now (it's installed in an unconditioned space which is totally wrong but keeps on trucking anyway).

Install and support really is what matters.

Goodman gets their rep because lovely plumbers and general laborers buy them and slap them in place with no knowledge of HVAC with the expected results.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A good install is more important then brand. I think you should get at least quotes from 5 different companies though, (5 that you would hire not 5 at random).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So those fire extinguishers you probably have? Turns out they may not actually work: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and