Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sunsoft has a couple of trying to be a mascot character platformers in the 90's, Aero was the best of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

dogsicle posted:

at least bubsy isn't as bad as aero

Don't just bring up aero unless you're gonna bring up Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

What separated Sonic from all his woeful imitators was that he was 100% antifa as gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I actually seriously did not realize there was a Bubsy sequel out now. I was so confused over the last week seeing people talk about the character again.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I blame Ulillillia

I find some comfort that at least one person got great joy out of Bubsy 3D. I do feel kind of bad for that game because they were working in an environment where 3D platformers weren't a thing with far less money and talent needed to create a genre from scratch and when they presented at E3, it was the same year Nintendo debuted Mario 64 and they knew they were just completely screwed and there was no more money left to do anything about it.

Also, I find it weird as hell that Ulillillia has a job and even his own car now. It's cool but I never would have expected it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I actually seriously did not realize there was a Bubsy sequel out now. I was so confused over the last week seeing people talk about the character again.

The new one doesn't honestly look THAT bad from the trailers (beyond Bubsy himself). It seems competent at least. It looks better than that attempted Rocket Knight reboot from a years ago at least, but that's not saying much. I'm still certainly not getting it unless it gets completely fantastic reviews.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bubsy would kill you if you fell too far it was a lot worse than its contemporaries

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

The new one doesn't honestly look THAT bad from the trailers (beyond Bubsy himself). It seems competent at least. It looks better than that attempted Rocket Knight reboot from a years ago at least, but that's not saying much. I'm still certainly not getting it unless it gets completely fantastic reviews.

Yeah watching the trailers and looking at the screenshots, it looks just competent at best. The art style is amateur and the game looks to have zero personality of its own.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lets hang out posted:

Bubsy would kill you if you fell too far it was a lot worse than its contemporaries

also didn't it have the rule of "one hit = death" sonic style, except it didn't have rings

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yup

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KIeAY9hHI

He's back, baby!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

also didn't it have the rule of "one hit = death" sonic style, except it didn't have rings

he could run real fast but had no way of killing enemies with something like a spindash, which is even worse game design than "run real fast.....INTO SPIKES"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It was all right though because even if you died you were treated to Bubsy's snappy one-liners again and again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There was also that one pilot for a Bubsy cartoon that was somehow even worse than the games themselves, they seemed really desperate to make this character a thing for some reason. I think Bubsy is one of the few roles Rob Paulsen actually regrets taking.

Beyond that the games just weren't all that fun to play for the reasons already mentioned above. But who knows, maybe they learned from their mistakes and the new one will wind up being halfway decent.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd assume in the 20 year interim between the bubsy games being made and then having a cash grab nostalgia reboot squirted out literally none of the design team is shared between the two

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bubsy 1 and 2 are both games that I own on the megadrive and completed. Especially the full tour mode of Bubsy 2.
I quite enjoyed the digitised lines. One level was called "Queen of De Nile" Bubsy's digitised speech said "I am not!" and that did make young me laugh quite a bit.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Please do not buy Bubsy. Do not let memes make money.
It's developed by the people who made the new Giana Sisters games so it might actually be good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The new giana sisters wasn't good though...

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

I felt like there was at least one more day of unlife left in your last av.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

The new giana sisters wasn't good though...
It was good for a while at least.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

I felt like there was at least one more day of unlife left in your last av.

It was building up to this, the scary avatar! Kirby with bayonetta legs is terrifying :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Accordion Man posted:

It's developed by the people who made the new Giana Sisters games so it might actually be good.

Lol I just watched the trailer thinking it looked exactly like that

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

VideoGames posted:

It was building up to this, the scary avatar! Kirby with bayonetta legs is terrifying :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/BalrogGameRoom/status/925120242979885056

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
How many Applebee's do you get to destroy in it?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i first found out about bubsy through the ulillillia vid. that's my bubsy story i guess

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

This may be worse...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not a fan of how the new internet humor is "thing with extremely detailed, hairy man rear end."

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

"new"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Grapplejack posted:

I'm not a fan of how the new internet humor is "thing with extremely detailed, hairy man rear end."

lol if you don’t find extremely detailed, hairy man rear end hilarious

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe people who have an extremely detailed hairy man rear end don't like to be the butt of jokes.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tired: we need more lesbians in every videogame

wired: we need more extremely detailed, hairy man rear end in every videogame

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Grapplejack posted:

Uh I'm not sure about the sites you've been visiting

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Hour and a half I can believe but $30? :lol:

tbh I kind of suspected they'd try that because it also has a physical release but still, they do realize that almost no one actually likes those games, right?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tbh I kind of suspected they'd try that because it also has a physical release but still, they do realize that almost no one actually likes those games, right?

Everything about Bubsy is a special kind of stupid

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

tired: we need more lesbians in every videogame

wired: we need more extremely detailed, hairy man rear end in every videogame

universe brain: extremely detailed, hairy lesbians

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Imagine finding a game box-sized gift under the tree from Santa and opening it to find Bubsy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Really Pants posted:

universe brain: extremely detailed, hairy lesbians

:hai:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Which extant game has the best body hair rendering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bubsy's development history is hilarious because the creator studied the game design of sonic for days so that he could get it greenlit because he was bored of making narrative-focused games, and then he made a game that was worse than sonic on every level. then he left the company, and bubsy 2 was made by a team of people who hate bubsy and hung plush dolls of him around the office

bubsy is not a character that ever needed to return because literally his entire history is a mix of design mistakes, developers who hated working on it and a pilot cartoon episode that the creator hated enough that it never got aired

• Locked thread