Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Brother Entropy posted:

i won't lie, the complete transparency in bucky-cap dying just in time for steve to take back the mantle right as the first cap movie was coming out soured most of the dwindling goodwill i still had in cape comics

(bucky and dick grayson were robbed! robbed, i tell you!)

The loss of DickBats still pains me to this day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

idea for an mhr campaign: bucky cap and a bunch of other undone legacy characters team up to murder the personification of cape comics' unrelenting need to shift back to a safe boring status quo

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There's a difference between "not critically examining the media you consume" and "aggressively fighting against critical examination of media." The latter happens when you take the media you consume and make it a core part of your personality. Which is, well, nerds.

TVTropes is absolutely hilarious because it's the end result of "I have a STEM degree, which means I'm Smart, which means I can understand anything!"

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 31, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Thor is much more a symbol of nacho macho duderism than the rest, even Wolverine. But it's ironic to hear such whinging, particularly because it's not like Original Thor was even taken off the board like some others were, he just doesn't have his hammer. He even has his own comic again and all.

I can only wonder what would have happened if the internet had existed when Beta Ray Bill first appeared. I mean, you want to see Thor getting chumped by a new horse-man out of nowhere and having his role nabbed, those issues are a big slice of humble pie for the thunder god. They're great, but think I can ssume some people threw a fit at the time... but now just about everybody how knows about Bill thinks he's rad.

According to the Walter Simonson interview from the lightning and the storm podcast, he received many letters telling him that he was wrong about how the Hammer worked because people assumed that Beta Ray Bill must have been evil. This was actually intentional on Walter Simonson part which is why he made Beta Ray Bill look like a villain and he wanted that response so he could flip it out on his head in the next issue when Beta Ray Bill was revealed as a super heroic figure.

Edit: also, Thor respects women and is not a dude bro so you shouldn't view him as a symbol of that. As far as he is concerned, everyone matters, everyone who treat others fairly is worthy of respect, and he believes in many kinds of strengths, like how he was amazed at Jane Foster's ability to accept cancer but still fight it. There is a reason he is worthy of the hammer and the big reason is that he is a good person.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 31, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The more someone thinks of themselves as a TRUE FAN, the more their own assumptions and beliefs about how things should be supersede how things actually are in their head, until their version of the thing they're a TRUE FAN of has almost no resemblance to what it is or ever was.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

The more someone thinks of themselves as a TRUE FAN, the more their own assumptions and beliefs about how things should be supersede how things actually are in their head, until their version of the thing they're a TRUE FAN of has almost no resemblance to what it is or ever was.

But enough about D&D...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

The loss of DickBats still pains me to this day

I like Bruce, but DickBats was the best Batman, in large part due to how it shaped his interactions with Tim and Damian.

I miss DickBats.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brother Entropy posted:

idea for an mhr campaign: bucky cap and a bunch of other undone legacy characters team up to murder the personification of cape comics' unrelenting need to shift back to a safe boring status quo
Gillon's run on Journey Into Mystery did this already.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nessus posted:

Gillon's run on Journey Into Mystery did this already.

Do tell.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Scrolling back to dicepool chat, has anyone actually played cthulhutech enough to see how its die mechanics work in play?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Splicer posted:

Scrolling back to dicepool chat, has anyone actually played cthulhutech enough to see how its die mechanics work in play?

I haven't actually played it, but the critical results are a silly clusterfuck at face value. Critical success happens if you get 10 over your difficulty, but critical failure happens if half or more of your dice come up 1s, and they don't address what happens when you get both, which isn't ridiculously unlikely.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

https://twitter.com/OneShotRPG/status/925224665362165761

OneShot did a stream of Invisible Sun but the sound levels are hosed and I can't stand it enough to hatewatch. Anyone willing to turn their volume up and down based on who's speaking willing to watch hours of nerds playing The Most Pretentious Elfgame and then report back what they do with the plastic hand?

EDIT: Oh, I skipped around and it looks like they fix the sound. I'm still not actually gonna watch it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Splicer posted:

It's been a looong time since I gave it a shot, but my experience featured insane-o-swing. Either the dice didn't click and a roll was a miserable failure nowhere near succeeding, or the dice clicked and clicked hard and someone, somewhere, is instantly the deadest thing to have ever died. There was never an in between--you either don't make a check or you make a check so hard that you burn a hole through the character sheet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

https://twitter.com/OneShotRPG/status/925224665362165761

OneShot did a stream of Invisible Sun but the sound levels are hosed and I can't stand it enough to hatewatch. Anyone willing to turn their volume up and down based on who's speaking willing to watch hours of nerds playing The Most Pretentious Elfgame and then report back what they do with the plastic hand?

EDIT: Oh, I skipped around and it looks like they fix the sound. I'm still not actually gonna watch it.

You know how in a game like D&D or MtG you might have powers or cards with ongoing abilities that impact everyone? The plastic hand holds the card that has the active ongoing power

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

i feel like the difference there is ain't no one cares about the legacy of clint barton and laura's been a lady wolverine around long enough that it doesn't feel like a great big shake up for her to take over for a couple years before they inevitably bring logan back
They're bringing Logan back now with the Marvel Legacy series.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'd also suggest that one reason people don't mind Laura so much is that the Logan movie made her cool, much in the way that the Iron Man movies made Iron Man cool. Like, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the movies really invented the character for the popular imagination. Iron Man had been a washed up nonentity for years who hadn't been able to sustain his own book in over a decade and then boom! RDJ sulks handsomely onto the screen and Iron Man is a thing that people care about, and they managed to do this while Civil War was in the process of being awful and painting him as a villain.

I don't feel like it's a stretch to say that Laura has some of the same effect boosting her, while Jane Foster Thor aggressively isn't Chris Hemsworth.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's a difference between "not critically examining the media you consume" and "aggressively fighting against critical examination of media." The former happens when you take the media you consume and make it a core part of your personality. Which is, well, nerds.

TVTropes is absolutely hilarious because it's the end result of "I have a STEM degree, which means I'm Smart, which means I can understand anything!"
I think you meant the latter here, unless I'm missing something huge.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

occamsnailfile posted:

Jane Foster Thor aggressively isn't Chris Hemsworth.

I think Chris Hemsworth could pull it off

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

occamsnailfile posted:

I'd also suggest that one reason people don't mind Laura so much is that the Logan movie made her cool, much in the way that the Iron Man movies made Iron Man cool. Like, I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the movies really invented the character for the popular imagination. Iron Man had been a washed up nonentity for years who hadn't been able to sustain his own book in over a decade and then boom! RDJ sulks handsomely onto the screen and Iron Man is a thing that people care about, and they managed to do this while Civil War was in the process of being awful and painting him as a villain.

I don't feel like it's a stretch to say that Laura has some of the same effect boosting her, while Jane Foster Thor aggressively isn't Chris Hemsworth.

Laura's Wolverine series has been running for two years. If anything, I'd attribute the nonplussed reaction to it being a natural continuation of her solo series that was running for 4 years before that. Kate's Hawkeye stuff is in line with her story arc from Young Avengers through the Clint-Hawkeye books, too.

Also Becky and Jonathan-the-actual-wolverine are good.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 31, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a lingering effect of the Enlightenment impulse to quantify everything and discover the fundamental atoms of everything, which gave us the gold standard and phrenology.

Brother Entropy posted:

This is why the Moon Knight series that Ellis began is the only Big Two superhero book I've enjoyed in the past two years. Ultimately, Moon Knight's nemesis is the Marvel editorial staff, who will always smash him back down into "White Batman who's crazy!" regardless of any character development undertaken by any writer.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You know how in a game like D&D or MtG you might have powers or cards with ongoing abilities that impact everyone? The plastic hand holds the card that has the active ongoing power
That's actually really neat, but Monte Cook is the last person I trust to make it interesting or balanced.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 31, 2017

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a lingering effect of the Enlightenment impulse to quantify everything and discover the fundamental atoms of everything, which gave us the gold standard and phrenology.

hmm

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TVTropes is a cool site to find fun trivia about stuff and get lost in the lists.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

occamsnailfile posted:

I do remember this brief window in time and it was something that made me happy for that reason...until they went and ruined it. Also the show's creator kind of ruined the show IIRC but I actually never watched it.

Hoping the brony-types have all been drawn to the Rick & Morty honeypot and leave Steven Universe alone.
SU fandom has had some bad moments, but the show itself is so queer and feminist that it repels most of the fedoralords. Of course, MLP is more than a little feminist too, but there are bronies who are actively in denial about it.

Mostly I just watch stuff and ignore the fandoms, and the internet keeps making that it seem to be the right decision.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Ewen Cluney posted:

SU fandom has had some bad moments, but the show itself is so queer and feminist that it repels most of the fedoralords. Of course, MLP is more than a little feminist too, but there are bronies who are actively in denial about it.

Mostly I just watch stuff and ignore the fandoms, and the internet keeps making that it seem to be the right decision.

This image is a loving journey.

Anyway, that poo poo really reminds me of something I read once. For a long time in the feminist community, there was division over whether or not to accept men because there was fear they would try to take over things and make it about their issues. They eventually decided to kind of accept men. Actually not sure how that worked out. All I know is people usually don't mind if you call yourself a male feminist. Point is, this microcosm sort of proves their point: men entered and then made it all about them and then tried to kick out all the women.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why the Moon Knight series that Ellis began is the only Big Two superhero book I've enjoyed in the past two years. Ultimately, Moon Knight's nemesis is the Marvel editorial staff, who will always smash him back down into "White Batman who's crazy!" regardless of any character development undertaken by any writer.
In the post-"Ultimate Marvel" Ultimates (the team run by Carol Davners), Galactus actually stops being the big purple planet-eater and becomes an avatar of life...who then has to fight some of the other cosmic entities who want him to turn back into the Devourer of Worlds because that's who he's always been.

He did manage to fight back, but I think he's back to being "classic" Galactus because god forbid comics have major changes.

(Squirrel Girl is still cool and good because it deliberately ignores every megaevent and is purposefully positive.)

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Brother Entropy posted:

This actually sounds like a really kickass idea for an arc. The Replacements are doing a much better job than their original counterparts, actually keeping the city save. As such, some minor deity or something takes a liking to them and comes to warn them about the Primordial Quo, who regularly sets back society for his own amusement. The B-Team comes up with a plan to fight it. It's got a real underdog flare.

Zoro posted:

In many ways, TV tropes catch phrase should have been " the internet makes you stupid." It fits better. Because TV tropes ruined criticism and analysis of fiction in the public discourse is a bunch of pseudo-scientific phrases that ends of actually ruining any attempt to actually critically analyze a work of art.

I have no idea where you're coming from. I find that TV Tropes makes it easier to discuss works because it allows you to short-hand any of the pieces that aren't relevant to your current analysis, while letting you go back later and go, "Ok, why did the author choose this character to make the Lancer? And where does he deviate from the standard representation of that trope and why?"

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Evil Mastermind posted:

(Squirrel Girl is still cool and good because it deliberately ignores every megaevent and is purposefully positive.)
During the Secret Empire garbage she and her friends were saving the Savage Land, which had partially become a dinosaur theme park, complete with a gift shop. The way they were geeking out about dinosaurs was the best.

At some point I want to make an RPG about superheroes who mainly help people and redeem villains.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

I have no idea where you're coming from. I find that TV Tropes makes it easier to discuss works because it allows you to short-hand any of the pieces that aren't relevant to your current analysis, while letting you go back later and go, "Ok, why did the author choose this character to make the Lancer? And where does he deviate from the standard representation of that trope and why?"

It's useless because it focuses on categorizing literally everything rather actually discussing the use thereof.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Ewen Cluney posted:

During the Secret Empire garbage she and her friends were saving the Savage Land, which had partially become a dinosaur theme park, complete with a gift shop. The way they were geeking out about dinosaurs was the best.

At some point I want to make an RPG about superheroes who mainly help people and redeem villains.

Hit me up if you do, I'd help work on that.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

It's useless because it focuses on categorizing literally everything rather actually discussing the use thereof.

This. TVTropes wants to sort all culture into little boxes and it really has to cram things in there to try and insist that they fit, they WILL fit, dammit everything fits under its proper Proper Noun! Add to this that a lot of tropers, including the site admins themselves, reject the idea of discussion and examination--they already sorted the legos, what, how dare you imply that their waifus are sad and shameful.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Ewen Cluney posted:

Golden Sky Stories is all about helping people, being nice and using magical powers responsibly while keeping them hidden from everyone but your best friends. I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t take much fenagling at all to make a super hero themed spinoff. You could just replace the ‘reward anything cute or helpful anyone does’ mechanic with ‘reward anything heroic/pure-hearted anyone does’.

Gentle Saver Stories
Good-Guy Super Stories
Golden (Age of Comics) Sky Stories

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

fool_of_sound posted:

But that makes it easier for other people to discuss the works. That's simply not the goal of TV Tropes, so they don't do it. Not doing a thing that is not your goal doesn't make you bad at what you do :psyduck:

That is HILARIOUS! X-D

Ewen Cluney posted:

...Mostly I just watch stuff and ignore the fandoms, and the internet keeps making that it seem to be the right decision.

:agreed:

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 31, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

occamsnailfile posted:

This. TVTropes wants to sort all culture into little boxes and it really has to cram things in there to try and insist that they fit, they WILL fit, dammit everything fits under its proper Proper Noun!
The steps they take to cram those square pegs into round holes are the best. This six-person protagonist team is a Five Person Team because the role of The Dragon is split among two people! This four-person team is a Five Person Team because the one guy is The Face and The Kid! This two-person team is, um, uh, a subversion (or is that inversion?) of the Five Person Team!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemeral posted:

But that makes it easier for other people to discuss the works. That's simply not the goal of TV Tropes, so they don't do it. Not doing a thing that is not your goal doesn't make you bad at what you do :psyduck:

Broadly, categorization of culture is bullshit, and even a lot of reputable scholars think this. Campbell's "universal motifs" are not universally present, for instance, and TVTropes is no Campbell.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The other main problem with TVTropes is that it gets a lot of people into this mindset where they can only think in terms of tropes. To extend the Lego analogy, when they want to build (write) something, they can't think in terms of plots or "what would make sense to have happen here", they only think in terms of clicking the tropes together.

They're the writer equivalent of people who've only ever played D&D and then try to make their own RPG to "fix" its problems.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Blasphemeral posted:

It actively inhibits discussion through their proliferation of categories that are so specific as to be meaningless.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

The other main problem with TVTropes is that it gets a lot of people into this mindset where they can only think in terms of tropes. To extend the Lego analogy, when they want to build (write) something, they can't think in terms of plots or "what would make sense to have happen here", they only think in terms of clicking the tropes together.

This is actually a mindset that every writting course in the universe tries its best to help you avoid because it's that bad.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blasphemeral posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm2ud36dD-s

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

TVTropes also has the issue of cramming things that don't fit into those holes along racial lines as well. Is Samuel L. Jackson in a movie? Is he playing a villainous character or perhaps has to be a bit intimidating? Scary Black Man! Now admittedly these tropes do exist to begin with due to the fact that bad writing and racial characterization are part of a very complex interconnected series of problems and issues in Hollywood and American entertainment media or cultural differences if produced in, say, Japan or France or Australia. This cannot easily be reduced to a trope nor due they always want to explain the history of the trope and the cultural attachment behind it. However it is indeed a problem for that trope to exist but for there to not be a Scary White Man or Scary Asian Man or Scary Russian Woman or Scary Asian Woman trope etc. etc. This is because they say "well we just categorize what exists, it would be foolish to categorize Everything, we're not here to do that, that's a slippery slope that leads to People Sit In Chairs, etc." while casually continuing to use tropes like Scary Black Man because out of context there is a black man and he does a thing that isn't necessarily particularly nice in the moment.

Or as fool of sound said in less words,

fool_of_sound posted:

It actively inhibits discussion through their proliferation of categories that are so specific as to be meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ewen Cluney posted:

It's really weird that there's basically zero mainstream superhero comics about superheroes using their fantastical control over elements or their superhuman intellect to actually improve people's lives. Even something as basic as disaster recovery barely ever shows up.

• Locked thread