Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real Name Grover posted:

BTN does what BTN wan-- wait, it's on ESPN2? The gently caress

ESPN needs midweek content for ESPN2 since they dumped hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I used to hate 11 am kickoffs now wtf nothing starts until 1 and I am ready for a nap or I miss the second half of the 3pm games.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The SEC is pretty bad this year. You've got Alabama and Georgia, two legit title contenders. You've got some quality teams in Auburn and Mississippi State. LSU is ???

Everyone else is a dumpster fire.

Most conferences have a sizable middle class of some sort. Instead, the SEC has a bunch of bad teams beating up on each other, plus some good teams beating up on them too.

I agree re: the good teams in the SEC. But South Carolina beat NC State. Tennessee beat Georgia Tech. Vanderbilt beat Kansas State. (Other conferences are garbage, too.)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The following Arizona game has been pushed even later. Win the team is even moderately successful, this always happens. They don't even really have to be successful, just have to have a chance of causing an interesting story line.

MourningView posted:

Late night PAC 12 games own

Also this.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Every other conference takes flak for having 2 or 3 good teams and a lot of bad at the bottom but when it happens to the SEC it's "Hey it's not really our fault the conference is bad outside of 2 teams.". Eat your loving crow like everyone else.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also whether or not it's your fault doesn't change that the schedule is bad. You still get judged by who you actually play not who you hypothetically wanted to play.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
If the Big Ten Champion can surmount the Michigan State "Pizza Pizza" Spartans, then they are definitely worthy of a trip to the playoffs.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm officially going to the Wisconsin - Iowa game. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do? We're staying at the Madison Hill Inn right off the square which is a good location I'm told and we've got pretty good seats, even though they're in the visitors section, I'm being made to wear red. I feel so dirty already.

I'll be going with two people that went to Wisconsin but I'd like to know what I have to look forward to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm officially going to the Wisconsin - Iowa game. Any suggestions on where to go/what to do? We're staying at the Madison Hill Inn right off the square which is a good location I'm told and we've got pretty good seats, even though they're in the visitors section, I'm being made to wear red. I feel so dirty already.

I'll be going with two people that went to Wisconsin but I'd like to know what I have to look forward to.

State Street is good, if you have the time hit up Gino's Deli. Though it's been a while since I've lived there so someone else with more recent experience may be able to help.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It doesn’t matter if Bama’s schedule is bad because we know they’re one of the best teams in the country every year before the season starts. When you win every 3rd championship you get the benefit of the doubt.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Happy Halloween goons

Only registered members can see post attachments!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It doesn’t matter if Bama’s schedule is bad because we know they’re one of the best teams in the country every year before the season starts. When you win every 3rd championship you get the benefit of the doubt.

Yes, every third championship where the teams competing for it are decided by subjectivity. :jerkbag:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Yes, every third championship where the teams competing for it are decided by subjectivity. :jerkbag:

alabama has curb stomped basically everyone put in front of them for the better part of a decade now. It's not a stretch to give them the benefit of the doubt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

alabama has curb stomped basically everyone put in front of them for the better part of a decade now. It's not a stretch to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It doesn't change the fact that the top 2 (BCS) and now top 4 teams are completely chosen based on "who draws the most ratings?" I'm not denying Alabama is good, I'm saying that any championship is still going to be looked at by me with side eyes until they actually make a legitimate playoff.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

It doesn't change the fact that the top 2 (BCS) and now top 4 teams are completely chosen based on "who draws the most ratings?" I'm not denying Alabama is good, I'm saying that any championship is still going to be looked at by me with side eyes until they actually make a legitimate playoff.

It's never going to happen to the level of March Madness or the FCS, and even if they create an 8-team playoff there is going to be fuckery involved in that as well and someone is always going to have a rightful complaint about being left out. For better or worse this BCS-lite setup is the monster now, created by a lot of different factors.

E: Bear in mind too that FCS has a big ol' tournament, which is all fine and good but FCS football sucks outside of a handful of teams anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

loving Iowa was like 3 seconds and literal inches from making the playoffs two years ago. Win your games

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

DJExile posted:

They keep letting the Big Ten try, bless their hearts.

MourningView posted:

loving Iowa was like 3 seconds and literal inches from making the playoffs two years ago. Win your games

Are you sure? I thought the post-season ended after the Big Ten Championship game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chump Farts posted:

They keep letting the Big Ten try, bless their hearts.

Are you sure? I thought the post-season ended after the Big Ten Championship game.

The Big Ten doesn't have a championship game go hawks undefeated 12-0 mythical champs of the heart

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

MourningView posted:

The Big Ten doesn't have a championship game go hawks undefeated 12-0 mythical champs of the heart

Both teams were 12-1 with one big ten loss, I think you can call that co-champs and say that 2015 bowl season never happened.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chump Farts posted:

Both teams were 12-1 with one big ten loss, I think you can call that co-champs and say that 2015 bowl season never happened.

Seems fair.

At least I didn't have to pay for a hotel or plane ticket for our embarrassing bowl loss that definitely didn't happen

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

I'm not sure college football will ever be for you. This has never been the way the sport has been structured, and I doubt it changes any time soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

vikingstrike posted:

I'm not sure college football will ever be for you. This has never been the way the sport has been structured, and I doubt it changes any time soon.

I enjoy watching the games, I have always thought it was BS how they declare a champion. You can have both opinions.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We get it Stugotz, you have your own personal record book.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Joey Freshwater posted:

You could fill a weekend eating and drinking on State Street and the Square (although Gino's closed a few years ago iospace.)

Best bars: Essen Haus /Come Back Inn has 2 liter boots and a giant beer list between the two connecting places, Old Fashioned has 50 Wisconsin beers on tap and 100+ in bottles, Plaza is the cash-only "dive" that has been around for 40+ years, City Bar has a great beer list and infuses their own vodkas, Wandos does fishbowls filled with colorful liquor. The stretch of University between Wandos and the Church Key is a shitshow near bartime, since it's about 1200 drunks all leaving at the same time. I'd recommend steering clear then.

Best restaurants: This list is mostly valid, although Bluephies closed. I'd throw Graze (diverse food from a James Beard-winner) and Paisans (Italian food, but just get the Garabaldi, mixed peppers, Porta salad side) in there as well. Depending how the food at that hotel is, you might also want Plaka for a great greasy spoon breakfast, or Gotham Bagels if you don't have a great bagel place near you. For drunk food, Ians Pizza by the slice is tradition (there's a spot on State by the Capital now), as is Parthenon Gyros. If you want something a little classier, Tornado Room has an amazing late-night menu from about 10:30 to 1. Steak sandwich for $9 from the best steakhouse in Madison hell yes!

For Saturday near gametime, if you aren't joining a tailgate just find a spot on Regent Street that doesn't have a line, all the beer prices will be inflated at the same rate. The UW marching band plays at Union South before they enter the stadium, and U South has alcohol too. The Library is a small outpost of a bar, but it's a personal favorite for pre or post-game 'one here, then let's go.'

If you need anything else, or want to grab a bloody Mary Saturday morning, drop me a PM.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coco13 posted:

You could fill a weekend eating and drinking on State Street and the Square (although Gino's closed a few years ago iospace.)

Gino's is still open on Century and Branch (and also Verona Road, if you want to deal with the hassle that is the streets in that area). :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

iospace posted:

I enjoy watching the games, I have always thought it was BS how they declare a champion. You can have both opinions.

I thought you were expected to have both opinions unless you are a fan of one of the half dozen or so teams that get the benefit of the doubt for inclusion in the playoffs (or formerly the BCS title game).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

swickles posted:

We get it Stugotz, you have your own personal record book.

This is good

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Happy 8 laterals day!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

y'all dudes are really gonna argue that the #1 team in the country for the past whenever is okay scheduling ColSt and Fresno?

Really?

They both did better than Tennessee and FSU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

MourningView posted:

Seems fair.

At least I didn't have to pay for a hotel or plane ticket for our embarrassing bowl loss that definitely didn't happen

I came home for New Years specifically to watch with my dad and it was the most miserable NYE ever. He really wanted to go to Dallas too but thankfully couldn't justify it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh it’s the annual “we said we wanted a playoff and now we have one but now we want a bigger playoff” conversation.

Here’s the best solution: have a conference title game. You win the game you make the playoffs, even if you won the conference title game and have a 6-5 overall record.

P5 and three at large for the G5.

People will still bitch but hey, people always bitch.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Emron posted:

They both did better than Tennessee and FSU

I love that the argument is "well but uh you guys did xyz".

:sad:

Coco13 posted:

Best bars: Essen Haus /Come Back Inn has 2 liter boots and a giant beer list between the two connecting places, Old Fashioned has 50 Wisconsin beers on tap and 100+ in bottles, Plaza is the cash-only "dive" that has been around for 40+ years, City Bar has a great beer list and infuses their own vodkas, Wandos does fishbowls filled with colorful liquor. The stretch of University between Wandos and the Church Key is a shitshow near bartime, since it's about 1200 drunks all leaving at the same time. I'd recommend steering clear then.

Best restaurants: This list is mostly valid, although Bluephies closed. I'd throw Graze (diverse food from a James Beard-winner) and Paisans (Italian food, but just get the Garabaldi, mixed peppers, Porta salad side) in there as well. Depending how the food at that hotel is, you might also want Plaka for a great greasy spoon breakfast, or Gotham Bagels if you don't have a great bagel place near you. For drunk food, Ians Pizza by the slice is tradition (there's a spot on State by the Capital now), as is Parthenon Gyros. If you want something a little classier, Tornado Room has an amazing late-night menu from about 10:30 to 1. Steak sandwich for $9 from the best steakhouse in Madison hell yes!

For Saturday near gametime, if you aren't joining a tailgate just find a spot on Regent Street that doesn't have a line, all the beer prices will be inflated at the same rate. The UW marching band plays at Union South before they enter the stadium, and U South has alcohol too. The Library is a small outpost of a bar, but it's a personal favorite for pre or post-game 'one here, then let's go.'

If you need anything else, or want to grab a bloody Mary Saturday morning, drop me a PM.

This is great info, thanks! I'm looking forward to it. I'll shoot you a PM as it gets closer.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I feel like Bama, UGA, and Ohio State are all locks for the playoff committee rankings tonight. Do they go ND or Clemson for the fourth?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

I love that the argument is "well but uh you guys did xyz".

:sad:

I’m not arguing anything, man. I freely admit that Alabama’s schedule is bad. In fact, if I WERE going to argue, it would be to say that its in conference schedule is largely worse than its OOC schedule. Arkansas, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt are all on the level of top-end FCS schools this year.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Emron posted:

I’m not arguing anything, man. I freely admit that Alabama’s schedule is bad. In fact, if I WERE going to argue, it would be to say that its in conference schedule is largely worse than its OOC schedule. Arkansas, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt are all on the level of top-end FCS schools this year.

Vanderbilt, the Rutgers of the SEC.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

iospace posted:

Vanderbilt, the Rutgers of the SEC.

When your signature upset win that gets your hopes sky high is over K State, you know you’ve arrived.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Oh it’s the annual “we said we wanted a playoff and now we have one but now we want a bigger playoff” conversation.

Here’s the best solution: have a conference title game. You win the game you make the playoffs, even if you won the conference title game and have a 6-5 overall record.

P5 and three at large for the G5.

People will still bitch but hey, people always bitch.

I appreciate you presenting this as though you are the first person to ever think of it

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Not that it matters other than "wow, this season really came out of nowhere," but I think UGA's gonna be #1 tonight. Right in time for Muschamp to do a 2014-on-Roids to us this Saturday.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

D.N. Nation posted:

Not that it matters other than "wow, this season really came out of nowhere," but I think UGA's gonna be #1 tonight. Right in time for Muschamp to do a 2014-on-Roids to us this Saturday.

UGA has a good win and no losses, Everybody else either has no good wins or a loss. So I think you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

D.N. Nation posted:

It’s gonna be 1) Bama 2) UGA 3) Notre Dame and 4) Syracuse (as the obvious wild card choice)

• Locked thread