Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Redvenom posted:

Sheer volume of blocks (and block prevention against me), on average, should wear the opponent down. Doesn't have to be a pitch clear, just numerical advantage. The odd KO, CAS, a few stuns - that's enough to make a decisive drive.

AG3 isn't the end of the world for ball handling. Just need to be careful against elves, otherwise use the crushing weight of 2d blocks and inability to be blocked to prevent access to the ball/carrier. It's a pretty tedious gameplan but not out of the realms of possibility.

I'm leaning towards the Amazon roster at the moment, only because I've played so much Norse and swore at the last tournament I would never ever take them again. Oh how easily I forget...

My comedy option: play Goblins. Give them all Dauntless.

“Scraggit’s Fearless Gitz”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ineptmule posted:

My comedy option: play Goblins. Give them all Dauntless.

“Scraggit’s Fearless Gitz”

This is the only good choice.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
You know, if I had a gobbo team or could borrow one, this would absolutely be the plan. Love it.

Actually, have Ogres, maybe this works with snots....

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Snots and Dauntless will be trickier as you have further to go to match strength. And there’s still only 16 players overall so the quantity isn’t substantially different. You’d need a viable plan for the Ogres and they really need more than one skill to work - although being able to buy them Block is decent.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I don't think Ogres are viable - I did the numbers and the low TV nature of the tournament means it's hard to make work.

4 Ogres w/ 2 doubles 2 normal
10 snots w/ 5 doubles
2RR

I mean I could either drop more Ogres (I wouldn't go below 5 out of choice) or move the skills, but snots are so spectacularly bad that even then it's not particularly feasible. I could run the above and take 4 DP + Leader on the snots, which isn't the worst idea I've ever had.

If I had Dwarves or other boring teams I'd spam guard or MB, but really nothing else is springing to mind to break this ruleset.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I thought you couldn’t buy more than one skill per player?

Edit: Disregard, just worked it out.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Redvenom posted:

I don't think Ogres are viable - I did the numbers and the low TV nature of the tournament means it's hard to make work.

4 Ogres w/ 2 doubles 2 normal
10 snots w/ 5 doubles
2RR

I mean I could either drop more Ogres (I wouldn't go below 5 out of choice) or move the skills, but snots are so spectacularly bad that even then it's not particularly feasible. I could run the above and take 4 DP + Leader on the snots, which isn't the worst idea I've ever had.

If I had Dwarves or other boring teams I'd spam guard or MB, but really nothing else is springing to mind to break this ruleset.

Where is this tourno by the way? It sounds like fun.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The ogre team would not work at all. Fun and out there for sure, but not abusive in the least. Norse idea sounds good but surely you'd want to give block to your big guy..

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Where is this tourno by the way? It sounds like fun.

Sydney, Australia. Probably short notice for most people on this forum :) April/May next year there's a team tournament in Sydney, so if anyone was thinking of a holiday... probably going to be one of the two biggest events on the calendar next year in the antipodes.

Marmaduke! posted:

The ogre team would not work at all. Fun and out there for sure, but not abusive in the least. Norse idea sounds good but surely you'd want to give block to your big guy..

Only reason not to is because I can't afford it. Claw/MB with all that guard hopefully ensures 3d blocks and minimises nuffle fails.

I'd like the idea of Underworld and Ogres more if I could skill stack, then that could end up seriously abusive. Guard/Two Heads, Two Heads/wrestle on gobbos or the dauntless, guard snots is hilarious to get 2d on caged ball carriers.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Dammit. Straya is a little far to go for a BB tournament.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bunch of Necromunda leaks from WD:

Big box is £75/$125 as predicted, however...

Everything in the box will be available separately straight from the bat! Personally I'm over the moon, I'm not really fussed on getting the Golliaths, but I wanted to paint some Eshers asap.

One of the first NM releases down the line is gonna be a Beastman bounty hunter based on the classic Beastman Guardsman.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hot drat that owns

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Beastman bounty hunter!

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That's really cool.

Unlike Shadespire, which I demoed in Essen and was an awful experience.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

That's really cool.

Hey buddy, this isn't the right thread to talk about Shadespire (for some reason)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

That's really cool.

How come? I've been really enjoying it and it's quite popular locally already.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Beastman bounty hunter!

40 years older! This is awesome and I really hope it happens.

I'm glad to see that they are sticking with the $40 per unit pricing a la Blood Bowl - for 10 models, that's pretty drat reasonable considering GW pricing.

They are also selling 10 NM bases for $6.50, which, at $.65 USD per base, is an amazingly decent deal.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I really hope the new Gangs come quicker than the Blood Bowl teams. This being really popular can't be a big surprise for them this time, so I am hopeful.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

SteelMentor posted:

Everything in the box will be available separately straight from the bat! Personally I'm over the moon, I'm not really fussed on getting the Golliaths, but I wanted to paint some Eshers asap.

If you only want one of the gangs but also want the terrain your best bet is still buying the box. You can sell the rules, card tiles and other gang on ebay and come ahead of where you would be or keep the gang and have bits for conversions for just a little extra. I mean its nice they're selling the terrain separately but its pretty expensive.

Also if you want the new rules rather than to just use the models, because I bet the gang war book references the starter rules.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really hope the new Gangs come quicker than the Blood Bowl teams. This being really popular can't be a big surprise for them this time, so I am hopeful.

All four of the other house are coming in 2018 at least. Apparently Bloodbowl was a surprise to them and they didn't realize how popular it would be - a lot of delay on teams was switching back to plastic when they had intended to do future teams in resin. They must know that Necromunda will do as well so I would expect them to be better.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
They were surprised by bloodbowl being popular, soooo....

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

How come? I've been really enjoying it and it's quite popular locally already.

The demo was really poo poo for a variety of reasons but mostly "ok I charge in this guy and roll some dice and you roll a die to try and defend and well you didn't roll right so now a third of your force is gone" really was the highlight. The power cards were underwhelming and in most cases useless on the back foot too.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh hey, recent official endorsement that Homo Sapiens Variatus are still approved abhumans (at least on Necromunda at whatever time the game is set).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
$125 feels like a lot to me, but I can't complain about the $40 entry point if you just want a gang to start with. I can't wait to see the Beastman.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

The demo was really poo poo for a variety of reasons but mostly "ok I charge in this guy and roll some dice and you roll a die to try and defend and well you didn't roll right so now a third of your force is gone" really was the highlight. The power cards were underwhelming and in most cases useless on the back foot too.

After a few games you get a feel for what a poo poo starting hand looks like and you can mulligan.

Losing 1/3 of your dudes isn't really a big deal due to upgrades, you can pump up the other two and they can carry the game if you play right. This is true of both sides actually.

That said, the 'demo' (i.e. pre-constructed) decks suck balls.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hmm. I'd say in a game that has objectives you need to control, losing people is a big deal, and upgrade cards can be character specific so you're potentially losing a heap of options on the outcome of a single die roll.

Anyway I accept that a single demo game doesn't beat the experience of playing multiple full games but holy poo poo was that a dreadful first impression. Given how many great games were at Essen it was incredibly jarring.

Even the Batman game felt better than that, and that's a game that thinks it's a really good idea to remove your options at every turn.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

Hmm. I'd say in a game that has objectives you need to control, losing people is a big deal, and upgrade cards can be character specific so you're potentially losing a heap of options on the outcome of a single die roll.

Anyway I accept that a single demo game doesn't beat the experience of playing multiple full games but holy poo poo was that a dreadful first impression. Given how many great games were at Essen it was incredibly jarring.

Even the Batman game felt better than that, and that's a game that thinks it's a really good idea to remove your options at every turn.

I think the game gives you a lot of ways to play and you'll see that if you play more. Also, it's not a single die roll because none of the Sigmar dudes can be One-shot by the only other warband in the game right now, you would have had to have been hit (fail a die roll), then fail to kill your attacker (fail another die roll) and then get hit again (fail another die roll) and most likely (unless it was garrek or saek) you had twice the chance of succeeding than your enemy did in each of those three cases.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Oh my God, you guys, take it to the Shadespire thread.

Nah, just kidding. Why do we even have that thread?

Anyway, I got my copy of Shadespire. I really want to pick up the skeletons. I suppose I should play the game before going all in though.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

I think the game gives you a lot of ways to play and you'll see that if you play more. Also, it's not a single die roll because none of the Sigmar dudes can be One-shot by the only other warband in the game right now, you would have had to have been hit (fail a die roll), then fail to kill your attacker (fail another die roll) and then get hit again (fail another die roll) and most likely (unless it was garrek or saek) you had twice the chance of succeeding than your enemy did in each of those three cases.

That doesn't sound right. You can definitely do 4 damage in a round of combat given you can roll multiple hits (and from memory, have >1 damage per hit) which is further boosted by power cards.

If you can counter attack after the first hit rolled then that was a crucial detail left out by the guy teaching us...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

That doesn't sound right. You can definitely do 4 damage in a round of combat given you can roll multiple hits (and from memory, have >1 damage per hit) which is further boosted by power cards.

If you can counter attack after the first hit rolled then that was a crucial detail left out by the guy teaching us...
If you were applying damage for every success, you were playing the game wrong which is on the guy who taught you to play.

The attack dice don't work like that. You compare the number of successes/crits to the opponent's defense results and if you win the exchange you deal the proscribed amount of damage. Doesn't matter if you roll 2 to their 1 or 2 to their 0. The damage is set.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Haha, nice. Yeah the guy teaching us definitely told us to do it that way, but he was really low energy and awful in other ways too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I'm gonna buy the Necromunda box for some reason.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Safety Factor posted:

If you were applying damage for every success, you were playing the game wrong which is on the guy who taught you to play.

The attack dice don't work like that. You compare the number of successes/crits to the opponent's defense results and if you win the exchange you deal the proscribed amount of damage. Doesn't matter if you roll 2 to their 1 or 2 to their 0. The damage is set.

Yeah, an attack never does more than its printed damage. Except for Arnulf who gets +1 damage on crits. There are other cards and such that provide +1 dmg on crits but nothing base on fighters.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Because it looks awesome? I'm pumped.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

JcDent posted:

This is always the right decision

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

JcDent posted:

I bought into the Promethium Forge kickstarter earlier this year because I thought some industrial terrain would be cool, now I'm using that as reason to buy into the Necromunda reboot... it's a dark path. What's holding me back is that I don't really care about Goliaths and I already have an Escher gang.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I love Necromunda but I’m kind of turned off the box. Gonna wait and see if it’s any good and also what is up with the Gang Wars expansion before I drop any cash on it.

For now I’m buying Shadespire instead.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really hope we get a PDF and made-to-order for the classic gangs.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

Well there's a classic gangs link on the website that doesn't go anywhere yet so we're getting that. I don't know if they'll do made to order if they're planning to release new sculpts though.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I highly doubt we'll get made to order of the house gangs because they've already announced new versions will come in 2018 and one of the restrictions on MTO they have is no models that replacements for are coming soon.

A PDF for stuff like Arbites, Scavvies, ratskins plus MTO for them is much more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Still going to strip and rehab my Orlocks. There goes my IG penal squad.