Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Missed opportunity if there isn't a dick laser attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

teagone posted:

Looks too similar to Iron Man/War Machine imo.

Yeah. As I said in that post, it "does look Ironman-y, i.e., a dude in a metal suit," and I think what they have in the movie is a better representation of how his tech might manifest. I just wish they had found a middle ground that didn't make him look utterly CGI. Every chance it could look fine in the movie, but it, I dunno, is a bit of a jarring visual.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'm okay with the guy who's had most of his body replaced by alien machinery being a bit jarring to look at.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm okay with the guy who's had most of his body replaced by alien machinery being a bit jarring to look at.
Jarring in the sense that it looks very CG and that sets it apart from the rest of the visuals, not jarring in the sense of "omg his body is a machiiiine!"

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

Jarring in the sense that it looks very CG and that sets it apart from the rest of the visuals, not jarring in the sense of "omg his body is a machiiiine!"

I'm not sure what trailers you've been looking at, but the ones I'm seeing are obviously filled with CGI.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not sure what trailers you've been looking at, but the ones I'm seeing are obviously filled with CGI.

Sure, like CGI from 2017, not 2005.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

Sure, like CGI from 2017, not 2005.

Hah, okay.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

For reference, this is what a CG character looked like a decade ago:

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

wdarkk posted:

I don't like Cyborg on the Justice League because I consider him an integral part of Teen Titans. Then again it's not like they're going to do a Teen Titans movie without Robin.
He's a more recognizable character than the Martian Manhunter, isn't he?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

So basically Cyborg.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Huh, I was expecting an argument that I Am Legend was unrepresentative or something like that, not simply an abject embrace of nonsense. Seems a bit lazy, honestly.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm mostly okay with it too, but because his costume is completely CGI unlike the others, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Aesthetically, it's way too busy in the middle section, and the result is that he looks like a reject from the Transformers movie. If his costume had more practical aspects to it, it might not look as bad as it does.

Maybe it'll look better in motion.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I'm mostly okay with it too, but because his costume is completely CGI unlike the others, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Aesthetically, it's way too busy in the middle section, and the result is that he looks like a reject from the Transformers movie. If his costume had more practical aspects to it, it might not look as bad as it does.

Maybe it'll look better in motion.

I feel like it's kinda the opposite. Like, the only things in that shot that aren't CG are probably Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa (and their costumes and props) and a bit of Ray Fisher's face.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I feel like it's kinda the opposite. Like, the only things in that shot that aren't CG are probably Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa (aThat's thend their costumes and props) and a bit of Ray Fisher's face.

That's the problem. Cyborg blends into the background because he's almost completely CGI, unlike Wonder Woman and Aquamomoa.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did you do this on purpose because I Am Legend has an ad for BVS in it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Huh, I was expecting an argument that I Am Legend was unrepresentative or something like that, not simply an abject embrace of nonsense. Seems a bit lazy, honestly.

I mean, you've launched this bizarrely pedantic defense of a fairly minor point in response to what is in fact my personal opinion. I don't know why Cyborg's design is such a personal issue for you, but if nonsense isn't what you've been begging for, I don't really know what is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you do this on purpose because I Am Legend has an ad for BVS in it?

That certainly didn't hurt ;)

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That's the problem. Cyborg blends into the background because he's almost completely CGI, unlike Wonder Woman and Aquamomoa.

I feel like there's a bit of a disconnect between the problem being him blending into the background and it being him sticking out like a sore thumb. I mean, I get that you're talking about how he reads differently from the other characters because he's always CG and they only sometimes are, but I just can't sign on to the idea that Aquaman looks better because he's a live human floating around in front of an entirely-animated backdrop as compared to the guy who's simply another animated element of a largely-animated film.

Habibi posted:

I mean, you've launched this bizarrely pedantic defense of a fairly minor point in response to what is in fact my personal opinion. I don't know why Cyborg's design is such a personal issue for you, but if nonsense isn't what you've been begging for, I don't really know what is.

It is ridiculous to post in an online discussion and then complain that someone actually responded to the things you wrote. I did not, of course, respond to your personal opinion, but rather the concrete statements that you made in support of it.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

It is ridiculous to post in an online discussion and then complain that someone actually responded to the things you wrote. I did not, of course, respond to your personal opinion, but rather the concrete statements that you made in support of it.

I feel I shouldn't have to do this with another adult, but I'll point out that I didn't complain about you responding, but commented on your insistence on defending the result of my opinion - which, FYI, is in fact exactly what you have been doing.

In conclusion: Cyborg looks like rear end. You don't mind how he looks. Great. Good for you. I still think he looks like rear end.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

I feel I shouldn't have to do this with another adult, but I'll point out that I didn't complain about you responding, but commented on your insistence on defending the result of my opinion - which, FYI, is in fact exactly what you have been doing.

In conclusion: Cyborg looks like rear end. You don't mind how he looks. Great. Good for you. I still think he looks like rear end.

This is the second time you've used the phrase, so I have to ask, how am I "defending the result of your opinion"? I'm not sure how your opinion could produce a result that I would then defend. Not trying to be an rear end here, I'm just having trouble parsing it.

Anyways, I'm cool with you not liking how he looks. I got into it because you were saying weird stuff about how CG was somehow distinct from other visuals in the largely-CG movie, or misremembering what CG looked like a decade ago.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

"This CGI from 2017 looks like CGI from 2005" isn't an "opinion" it's just a really weak burn you got called out on

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Cyborg sucks. He blends into the background and sticks out like a sore thumb

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

my problem with Cyborg getting spotlight is that he's pretty much the least interesting black character out of DC's entire stable. which, by the way, they have an unbelievable fuckton of black heroes they could be pushing.

like, why the gently caress aren't they pushing Static or Steel or The Spectre or Firestorm or Doctor Midnight or loving Batwing? or Amazing-Man? why didn't Bronze Tiger get a spot on the Suicide Squad? where's loving Bumblebee, the first black woman superhero in DC comics? and that's just the ones that are obvious slam-dunks, the Wikipedia list of black DC superheroes seriously goes on for like several printed pages worth of length

Batwing is garbage and the Spectre is the literal wrath of literal capital letter Christian God

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

This is the second time you've used the phrase, so I have to ask, how am I "defending the result of your opinion"? I'm not sure how your opinion could produce a result that I would then defend. Not trying to be an rear end here, I'm just having trouble parsing it.

Anyways, I'm cool with you not liking how he looks. I got into it because you were saying weird stuff about how CG was somehow distinct from other visuals in the largely-CG movie, or misremembering what CG looked like a decade ago.
I think what I said the first time was clear, though this time the wording was a bit tortured, I agree.

My opinion is that Cyborg's design looks CG. Obviously, most of the movie IS CG - good point there. But whereas most of the movie IS computer generated, my opinion is that Cyborg actually LOOKS computer generated. While it's great that you don't agree with that, neither the fact that 90% of the movie is CGI nor a screencap of a CGI human face from last decade are relevant to how I think Cyborg looks, which, if it's not clear, is very CGI. To me. In my opinion.

Guy A. Person posted:

"This CGI from 2017 looks like CGI from 2005" isn't an "opinion" it's just a really weak burn you got called out on
Lol. That is the definition of an opinion. I am not even sure whom I'm supposed to have been trying to burn there. A fictional character? The design team?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 31, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

UmOk posted:

He blends into the background and sticks out like a sore thumb

Lol.

[edit] :stwoon:
https://twitter.com/RoxyfromGotham/status/925431763622678528

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 31, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

It's not, actually: the first time should have been clear, this time the wording was a bit tortured, I agree. My opinion is that Cyborg's design looks CG. Obviously, most of the movie IS CG - good point there. But whereas most of the movie IS computer generated, my opinion is that Cyborg actually LOOKS computer generated. While it's great that you don't agree with that, neither the fact that 90% of the movie is CGI nor a screencap of a CGI human face from last decade are relevant to how I think Cyborg looks, which, if it's not clear, is very CGI.

Yeah, I think the basic difference is that I think this also looks like it might contain some CGI:

https://i.imgur.com/o1YzL4o.gifv

But maybe that's just me.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2017

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I was watching Tron Legacy a few weeks ago and I thought Young Jeff Bridges looked pretty good most of the time, it wasn't until the big rear end giant explosion that it became super noticeable

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Habibi posted:

Lol. That is the definition of an opinion. I am not even sure whom I'm supposed to have been trying to burn there. A fictional character? The design team?

The thing is, it objectively doesn't look like 12 year old CGI because technology has gotten significantly more sophisticated. You not liking it is an opinion, you making concrete comparisons is not an opinion my dude, it's something that can be proven factually wrong. And therefor people are going to debate you on it.

Maybe it wasn't intended as a burn but you used the exact same phrasing that armchair internet critics have been using for the past decade (i.e. "this looks like a Playstation 2 cutscene!") so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, etc.

And yeah saying something looks like decade old sfx work seems pretty directly insulting to the people who worked on it? Which I'm not being defensive about, go off on those people if you want, but it's odd that you seemed confused about who your post would theoretically be attacking.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Cyborgs design is pretty lame

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The intent behind it is interesting but it hasn't landed for me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think it's a nice idea, but the actual rendering / comping doesn't look particularly convincing. It's silly to say it looks like something from 2005, though, much less a PS2 cutscene.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

This aired on TV? For a second I thought it meant the movie leaked.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

UmOk posted:

Cyborg sucks. He blends into the background and sticks out like a sore thumb

I'm not sure why I have to explain this, but it's pretty obvious, to me at least. When standing next to the rest of the cast, Cyborg sticks out like a sore thumb:

When he's shown by himself in a shot - in a movie with a lot of grey, "alien" CG backgrounds - he blends in:

What I'm saying is that if he had a practical suit like the others that was predominantly not-CGI, it would look better. As of right now, he looks like a goddamn video game character.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It might have something to do with the hot pink light glowing out of the middle of his chest.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Jonny_Rocket posted:

What I'm saying is that if he had a practical suit like the others that was predominantly not-CGI, it would look better. As of right now, he looks like a goddamn video game character.

I think the glowing red center is what draws the video game comparison since that's the go-to way of showing a boss's weak point.

josh04 posted:

It might have something to do with the hot pink light glowing out of the middle of his chest.

:respek:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

The thing is, it objectively doesn't look like 12 year old CGI
:words:

I realized what he reminds me of: the Sentinels from The Matrix. So I guess to me, it objectively looks like 17 year old CGI, even though it objectively isn't really.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Habibi posted:

I realized what he reminds me of: the Sentinels from The Matrix. So I guess to me, it objectively looks like 17 year old CGI, even though it objectively isn't really.

Ohhh. So you were talking about design similarities to a specific CG element of a specific older movie, not commenting on the quality of the render or other technical elements. That's way less dumb, thanks for clarifying.

Jonny_Rocket posted:

When he's shown by himself in a shot - in a movie with a lot of grey, "alien" CG backgrounds - he blends in:

This is precisely what I like about his design. The character literally made from alien tech visually fits in better with the CG hellscape of the alien invasion. That seems appropriate.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 31, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Batwing is garbage and the Spectre is the literal wrath of literal capital letter Christian God

That's why the Spectre owns. gently caress all this namby tiptoeing "super advanced aliens indistinguishable from magic" stuff, The Spectre is The. Wrath. Of. GOD. Deal with it :c00l:

Habibi posted:

One of these uses of "objectively" is actually the complete opposite of that and should be replaced with "subjectively", can you tell which one?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Habibi posted:

I buy this, and yeah I would agree he has a similar aesthetic

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

I buy this, and yeah I would agree he has a similar aesthetic

Not that I see that as a problem. Obviously there isn't as much detail as in Justice League, and the compositing isn't as good, but the design itself is pretty cool:

Though in terms of design it reminds me most of The Signal (also with Laurence Fishburne!):

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Got my hands on three sets of these at a local AT&T store yesterday. The store manager apparently had tons of them, and didn’t mind if I took extras.