Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

In Shadow of War, you can send your orcs to the fight pits to either get stronger or die.

Some of them seem to have a pretty loose grasp on the idea of sportsmanship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDYq6ux65X4

Run-ins are a totally valid strategy, orc matches are always no-DQ and I don't see a ref anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dude is The Beast-Master so I think that might be the only way he fights lol

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I bought Grim Dawn from Steam during this year's Halloween sale.

I was going to return it because it was so hard for me to play due to everything looking muddy and difficult to differentiate.

Then I saw the color blindness options in the options menu. I turned on the deutan colorblindness settings and it was like a miracle. Instantly. It was so much clearer.

I can play it now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hob is a neat platformer with some light Zelda-style exploration.

It's cool because it has absolutely no narration or dialogue in game (except for the descriptions of skills you can buy). There are no cinematics either. You can't control the camera either; the game will shift around the camera for you, and usually it's in order to get a cool angle on what's coming next, or else it's a kind of generic top-down camera position.

Every now and then there's a little post that you can interact with to basically get a cool view to take a screenshot of and relax for a minute, so I sat at this one and a little robot buddy flew up to me to say hi.

So I gave him a hug. :kimchi:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I did an orc fight last night and both had dogs and also an ability that let them one-shot the dogs. So it was just a big dog slaughterfest until they finally fought in the middle of a dog corpse littered battlefield.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

scarycave posted:

You can use that curry in the sequel to get Bigfoot out of hiding and kill him. I think?
The soul capturing thing was such a fun gimmick because of how crazy some of these powers get.

It's a shame that the drop rates were so low that you had to grind endlessly to get most of them, though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Okay, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus has only been out for a few days, so I'mma put this in spoilers, but its some character interactions from maybe about 6 hours in, so its not anything important. Okay, so very early on, the daughter of the main villain in the game saves your life and defects to your side. Shes a heavy-set young woman who has been relentlessly bullied and humiliated by her mother over her weight, personality and lack of proper nazi-ness for her whole life. Has an accent a little like the german kid off've the simpsons. Between the interactions you see, the diary entries etc you can find, and the things you overhear her saying in her interactions with other characters I found myself feeling quite sympathetic towards her; She didnt choose to be the daughter of a genocidal murdering nazi, right? And at least one other character in the game is also shown to be the child of a terrible parent and we dont hold it against against them.

Anyway a couple of missions later you join up with another resistance group made up mainly of african-americans. They are, understandably, wary of the white german woman who was brought up as a nazi. So she gets kicked out of a planning meeting, and wanders out dejected. A while later I'm wandering around the submarine which is your home base/mission hub, and I hear some of the NPCs chat about how she might have good intel, but they dont trust her. There are various little vignettes around the sub where you can overhear conversations but you usually cant actually contribute to them or anything, just wee character things. Continuing to wander and I go to the canteen, where 3 black resistance members are sitting playing dice. The german woman brings a plate of food over and sits next to them and says hello. They look at her, look at each other, get up and move to a different table as a group without a word, leaving her sitting alone.

Now, I'm a sensitive soul deep down, and I dont like hurting nice peoples feelings, even if those people and feelings are in fact virtual collections of ones and zeroes. I always have a hard time picking evil conversation choices in games, I find it easier to do an evil run by picking neutral options and murdering people. So I look at this and go "Oh, thats harsh..." then I notice that when I look at the german woman my cursor is a conversation bubble. So I hit it and BJ (the player character) sits down at the table opposite her while she talks to you for a bit about various things. You dont have any lines though, this isnt a picking conversation options kind of game. So after she says her piece all you can do is stand up and walk away. Except after you do the black freedom fighters the other table call over to her "Hey... How do you know him?" and she goes "Oh, I saved his life and helped him escape the <earlier mission details>". They think for a minute and invite her to her table to join their dice game.

Now, I'm undoubtedly going soft in my old age, but to me it was a nice moment.

Also, as a Scot, I appreciate Fergus, just in general. I was gonna be more specific, but nah, just Fergus in general. And rarely is a game quite so enthusiastic about the coming together of hatchets with nazis.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Okay, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus has only been out for a few days, so I'mma put this in spoilers, but its some character interactions from maybe about 6 hours in, so its not anything important. Okay, so very early on, the daughter of the main villain in the game saves your life and defects to your side. Shes a heavy-set young woman who has been relentlessly bullied and humiliated by her mother over her weight, personality and lack of proper nazi-ness for her whole life. Has an accent a little like the german kid off've the simpsons. Between the interactions you see, the diary entries etc you can find, and the things you overhear her saying in her interactions with other characters I found myself feeling quite sympathetic towards her; She didnt choose to be the daughter of a genocidal murdering nazi, right? And at least one other character in the game is also shown to be the child of a terrible parent and we dont hold it against against them.

Anyway a couple of missions later you join up with another resistance group made up mainly of african-americans. They are, understandably, wary of the white german woman who was brought up as a nazi. So she gets kicked out of a planning meeting, and wanders out dejected. A while later I'm wandering around the submarine which is your home base/mission hub, and I hear some of the NPCs chat about how she might have good intel, but they dont trust her. There are various little vignettes around the sub where you can overhear conversations but you usually cant actually contribute to them or anything, just wee character things. Continuing to wander and I go to the canteen, where 3 black resistance members are sitting playing dice. The german woman brings a plate of food over and sits next to them and says hello. They look at her, look at each other, get up and move to a different table as a group without a word, leaving her sitting alone.

Now, I'm a sensitive soul deep down, and I dont like hurting nice peoples feelings, even if those people and feelings are in fact virtual collections of ones and zeroes. I always have a hard time picking evil conversation choices in games, I find it easier to do an evil run by picking neutral options and murdering people. So I look at this and go "Oh, thats harsh..." then I notice that when I look at the german woman my cursor is a conversation bubble. So I hit it and BJ (the player character) sits down at the table opposite her while she talks to you for a bit about various things. You dont have any lines though, this isnt a picking conversation options kind of game. So after she says her piece all you can do is stand up and walk away. Except after you do the black freedom fighters the other table call over to her "Hey... How do you know him?" and she goes "Oh, I saved his life and helped him escape the <earlier mission details>". They think for a minute and invite her to her table to join their dice game.

Now, I'm undoubtedly going soft in my old age, but to me it was a nice moment.

Also, as a Scot, I appreciate Fergus, just in general. I was gonna be more specific, but nah, just Fergus in general. And rarely is a game quite so enthusiastic about the coming together of hatchets with nazis.
Not only that, but there's also a moment where Grace yells at Sigrun because yeah, she didn't chose to be a Nazi, but she still stood by and was present while her mother commit atrocities. To everyone's credit, Sigrun seems to take this to heart, continues doggedly working for the resistance regardless of the fact that everyone shits on her relentlessly, and eventually Grace relents a bit after getting yelled at by Sigrun.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

Run-ins are a totally valid strategy, orc matches are always no-DQ and I don't see a ref anywhere

My favorite orc is an Olog who has a flamethrower and fights mostly by throwing huge incendiary bombs. The only problem is that he's not fireproof, so his fights in the arena were 50% him unleashing hellfire and 50% everybody running around while on fire. I promoted him to Overlord because I respect the commitment to making everybody burn.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In Get Even I just worked out the route to getting around the cemetery without getting seen by the enormous amount of enemies! YAY! Just need to figure out the best route through the final level. :)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Push El Burrito posted:

I did an orc fight last night and both had dogs and also an ability that let them one-shot the dogs. So it was just a big dog slaughterfest until they finally fought in the middle of a dog corpse littered battlefield.

In general I don't have a big problem with killing dogs in videogames but I do hate the sound effects for it. I have a dog and every time a videogame dog lets out a pained yelp or a death whimper I imagine she hears it and wonders what kind of sick bastard has adopted her.

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

One of the enemies in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is a Jumpkick Skeleton, a skeleton who does jumpkicks.

Also there are skeleton waiters, and the game lets you sometimes pick up powers from enemies: the power you get from them is throwing hot curry at your enemies.

You neglected to mention that if you kill the jumpkick skeleton and manage to get its soul, YOU get a permanently enabled ability to do sweet-rear end jump kicks yourself.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I never got far in Dawn, being a little peeved at the art-change and the shoved-in touchscreen gimmick. What have I missed?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Cool music and otherwise more of the same. It’s still a pretty good game.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Yeah. I played Dawn before Aria - so I loved the art style in Aria more.
But yeah, they're pretty much the same.

As for a little thing in a video game, it's fun having mario run around with his nipples exposed doing triple flips and in a sombrero.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

scarycave posted:

Yeah. I played Dawn before Aria - so I loved the art style in Aria more.
But yeah, they're pretty much the same.

As for a little thing in a video game, it's fun having mario run around with his nipples exposed doing triple flips and in a sombrero.

Mario with his nips out and the caveman hat looks like a stoner surfer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I never got far in Dawn, being a little peeved at the art-change and the shoved-in touchscreen gimmick. What have I missed?

A boss who was literally just Dio from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

TontoCorazon posted:

Mario with his nips out and the caveman hat looks like a stoner surfer.

Odyssey feels like a game that was thought up by a ten year old, and it's wonderful.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ravenfood posted:

Not only that, but there's also a moment where Grace yells at Sigrun because yeah, she didn't chose to be a Nazi, but she still stood by and was present while her mother commit atrocities. To everyone's credit, Sigrun seems to take this to heart, continues doggedly working for the resistance regardless of the fact that everyone shits on her relentlessly, and eventually Grace relents a bit after getting yelled at by Sigrun.

Not just yelled at, but straight up choked out while Sigrun demands to be treated with respect. On one hand it felt nice for a character that's constantly poo poo on to actually get some pathos, on the other the visuals of a large German woman choking a helpless black woman is... muddled, to say the least.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

A boss who was literally just Dio from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Wait, who?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

oh jeez you done did it now

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morlock posted:

You neglected to mention that if you kill the jumpkick skeleton and manage to get its soul, YOU get a permanently enabled ability to do sweet-rear end jump kicks yourself.

My current save is just next to him- I haven't been lucky enough yet.

nael
Sep 10, 2009
I don't know if I need to spoiler this, but I might as well.
In Wolfenstein 2 there's an arcade cabinet on the ship. You can interact with it to play the entirety of Wolfenstein 3D. But the arcade game was made by the Nazis, so the enemies are reskinned to represent Kreisau Circle members. Their dialog has been translated to English, and all of the Nazi Propaganda decorating the levels has been replaced with Kreisau Circle symbols and paintings of Blazcowicz. Also the boss of act 3 is BJ instead of Hitler.

edit: Set's cat-monkey is on the high score screen. Lowest score by a lot, but still, she's on the board.

nael has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Nov 1, 2017

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

There's a boss you fight in front of the face of a large clock tower, who can freeze time and throw knives at you. I think he might even say "toki wo tomare".

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Bob Morlock posted:

My favorite was the trainee witch soul that allowed you to fling cats at enemies.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Are you asking who Dio is or which Castlevania boss it is?

The former is an anime character and the latter is Zephyr.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I forgot about Zephyr.

You know what, Dawn of Sorrow is a good-as-hell game. Art style isn't perfect and the drawing seals is really stupid but the music is a banger, the world layout is fun and there are a lot of really cool bosses.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
In Super Mario Odyssey during the Festival Part of the New Donk City level, jumping on Pauline's head while she's singing interrupts her song. She'll resume once you get off her head.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

In Super Mario Odyssey during the Festival Part of the New Donk City level, jumping on Pauline's head while she's singing interrupts her song. She'll resume once you get off her head.

"im not singin wit ths plumbr on my head"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

My favorite thing in Doki Doki Literature Club: when Monika, having destroyed everyone else in her universe, refers to your character name not being your name and then she calls you by your actual name, which I'm guessing the game obtains via your OS username? I've never been so deeply, thoroughly unsettled by a game and I am grateful for it.
this didn't really work out so well for me

https://i.imgur.com/kAtJhGK.png

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, do you?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
In Persona 5, the max rank ability for the twin wardens is the ability to pay Yen to fuse persona higher level than you. I ranked them to max, and then the game just let me walk out of the Velvet Room with a level 74 Siegfred with Enduring Soul (reviving me once at full HP once per battle), Auto Mataru (giving my entire party an attack buff at the start of fights), Speed and Defense master (giving me a speed/defense boost at the start of fights), Charge (boosts my next attack by 2.5x power) and Vorpal Blade (Super heavy hitting physical damage against the entire enemy group.

I have a giant list of other things I can make too, and I'm only gated by gold. Gonna be fun. :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
When you get bored of grinding in Persona, just fuse something with all three Auto-Ma skills and win every fight in a single button press.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

Galick posted:

In Persona 5, the max rank ability for the twin wardens is the ability to pay Yen to fuse persona higher level than you. I ranked them to max, and then the game just let me walk out of the Velvet Room with a level 74 Siegfred with Enduring Soul (reviving me once at full HP once per battle), Auto Mataru (giving my entire party an attack buff at the start of fights), Speed and Defense master (giving me a speed/defense boost at the start of fights), Charge (boosts my next attack by 2.5x power) and Vorpal Blade (Super heavy hitting physical damage against the entire enemy group.

I have a giant list of other things I can make too, and I'm only gated by gold. Gonna be fun. :allears:

I went into the final boss fight with a level 89 Satan. I was only level ~60.

Cant even finish the game for another week as I'm not allowed to play without my missus and she's away :/

All of persona 5 is great. Catbus unquestionably the best part.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

See, here it makes it sound like she's experiencing regret.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Lobok posted:

In general I don't have a big problem with killing dogs in videogames but I do hate the sound effects for it. I have a dog and every time a videogame dog lets out a pained yelp or a death whimper I imagine she hears it and wonders what kind of sick bastard has adopted her.

If it's any consolation, caragors in Shadow of War are supposed to be more like giant lion beasts more than dogs per se. I've been playing this game nonstop and I don't think I've heard one yelp rather than just snarl and roar.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The caragors in Shadow of War, and the complete despair they cause in the Orcs, are so good. Using the caragor summon ability while in a huge fight with dozens of Orcs and suddenly hearing a chorus of “OH NO A CARAGOR” “Help me! It’s eating meeee :stonk:” is a really good feeling

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The caragors in Shadow of War, and the complete despair they cause in the Orcs, are so good. Using the caragor summon ability while in a huge fight with dozens of Orcs and suddenly hearing a chorus of “OH NO A CARAGOR” “Help me! It’s eating meeee :stonk:” is a really good feeling

What's real fun is when you do the training missions with them. The top rank fight I could pick had a guy fatally weak to caragors, so I sent a stupidly low level captain who was a beast master up against him. That was some easy leveling.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lobok posted:

The Mordogs don't really make the high pitched yelps I don't think. They just kinda growl and then die.

Of course I once Alt-F4ed out of a game (Watchdogs 2 I think) because I was driving too fast and skidded over a sidewalk and hit a dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

And hidden in the crowd was an orc with beast slayer and enraged by caragors and poisoned weapons and WELP