Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

There was something poasted in this thread that was described as "Stranger Things the tabletop game" but I can't recall its name. I need it now more than ever since it might be the only way to get my group to play something that isn't D&D 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tales from the Loop

Serf
May 5, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

There was something poasted in this thread that was described as "Stranger Things the tabletop game" but I can't recall its name. I need it now more than ever since it might be the only way to get my group to play something that isn't D&D 5e.

The game that comes to mind is Tales From the Loop.

efb

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Haystack posted:

Tales from the Loop

Serf posted:

The game that comes to mind is Tales From the Loop.

efb

Thanks!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Cat Face Joe posted:

Home by Dark

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Saw this in action at PAXAUS, and its a super cool project that doesn't look like it's gonna make it, which is a shame because I know I'd love the hell out of it.

Augmented Reality stuff for your role playing game.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Cassa posted:

Saw this in action at PAXAUS, and its a super cool project that doesn't look like it's gonna make it, which is a shame because I know I'd love the hell out of it.

Augmented Reality stuff for your role playing game.

It's amazing how far this stuff has come - I've been toying with ar.js for making animated objective markers for Warmachine

https://medium.com/arjs/augmented-reality-in-10-lines-of-html-4e193ea9fdbf

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TRAGEDIES OF MIDDLE SCHOOL: An anthology of RPG's, story games, and other strangeness inspired by the greatest HORROR of all… Junior High.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Majimonsters, the not-Pokémon rpg, is funding its first expansion. One Shot Podcast just started a short playthough, if you want to see it played. I don't know how to compares to the assortment of free rpgs that actually do do Pokémon, though.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anyone have any thoughts about this nutso Joan of Arc game? It looks like Memoir 44 scale and pretty neat, but I am scared at the same time.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1162110258/time-of-legends-joan-of-arc

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about this nutso Joan of Arc game? It looks like Memoir 44 scale and pretty neat, but I am scared at the same time.

I'm in the same boat. Looks awesome, but I'd like some feedback on rules quality from people who know these things

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Signal posted:

I'm in the same boat. Looks awesome, but I'd like some feedback on rules quality from people who know these things

I watched a play through video. The rules look pretty decent and allow a lot of interplay and clever resource management. The rues aside, that box is a pretty good 15mm 100 YW army all by itself.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

djfooboo posted:

It's supposedly to be by the same guys who did Mythic Battles: Pantheon, but I forget for sure.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kinkouin posted:

It's supposedly to be by the same guys who did Mythic Battles: Pantheon, but I forget for sure.

Yes.

Looks like a fairly simple ruleset, which is nice. Plus what other game has you smacking down Satan with guisarme (rip Hell Dorado)?

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

LordAba posted:

Yes.

Looks like a fairly simple ruleset, which is nice. Plus what other game has you smacking down Satan with guisarme (rip Hell Dorado)?

Explains the grandiose scale of some of the figures. I still only want the big stuff: Devil, Dragon, and Tarrasque. It's such a shame to throw out the rest or part it for something else, but yeah.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Bucnasti posted:

Home by Dark

This looks good too, thanks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Majimonsters, the not-Pokémon rpg, is funding its first expansion. One Shot Podcast just started a short playthough, if you want to see it played. I don't know how to compares to the assortment of free rpgs that actually do do Pokémon, though.

The bar for the 'real' RPGs that do pokemon is incredibly low to begin with, 90% of them are either a huge mess of crunch and tables or the exact opposite where it's Fate style 'pokemon have key words and junk, those help, for god's sake please don't make us write a table and poo poo'. Listening to One Shot it seems to steer closer to the latter without being completely lacking in structure, which is exactly what I'd hope for.

Henker
May 5, 2009

kinkouin posted:

Explains the grandiose scale of some of the figures. I still only want the big stuff: Devil, Dragon, and Tarrasque. It's such a shame to throw out the rest or part it for something else, but yeah.

The devil and dragon are their own separate add-ons, so you could probably pledge a dollar and then get just those two.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I recently got my goods for a KS I backed, it wasn't TG related, but it did make me think... "It has been a while, Is Far West Out Yet?"

I tried to check that one simple website, but apparently it died. That is ok, I think I know what the answer is in my heart. :v:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I recently got my goods for a KS I backed, it wasn't TG related, but it did make me think... "It has been a while, Is Far West Out Yet?"

I tried to check that one simple website, but apparently it died. That is ok, I think I know what the answer is in my heart. :v:

Far West Kickstarter page posted:

When will the Adventure Game be available?

The Limited Edition hardcover of the Adventure Game, as well as the Ebook, Kindle and PDF, will be available in December 2011.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

:sparkles: It is so unbelievable. How long has the almost finished version been about to go out?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

:sparkles: It is so unbelievable. How long has the almost finished version been about to go out?
Years.

The thing is, the game is mostly written. The fist nine chapters were released to backers ages ago, and were all laid out and everything. We also got the setting chapter as an RTF file. The only missing chapter is the GMing one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh hey, the original site is down, but the spirit lives on.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Henker posted:

The devil and dragon are their own separate add-ons, so you could probably pledge a dollar and then get just those two.

And waste money on all the other minis? I guess. :sigh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The best way to troll Far West would be for someone else to finish and release it for free. Except the concept is pretty uninteresting, so good luck finding someone to volunteer that time.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

moths posted:

The best way to troll Far West would be for someone else to finish and release it for free. Except the concept is pretty uninteresting, so good luck finding someone to volunteer that time.

There is High Plains Samurai, even if it isn't for free.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, the domain was up for renewal and Garethman hadn't published any new deadlines to blow through, so.

moths posted:

I've been working on something like this as well, but it's honestly harder than you'd think to mesh the wuxia and western genres. Wulin heroes are supposed to be outside the normal community, but western heroes, even the ones that can't live in a normal community, are supposed to be acting on behalf of that community.

inklesspen fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 1, 2017

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Kickstarters!

Operators is a Fate-ish game about being spies, the main gimmick for which are the fight and chase decks. These have no mechanical effects but offer a string of situations and ideas for those kinds of scenes -- which is the primary reason I backed it, because I often run out of ideas for chases. You can get the decks without the game if you want.

The Fall of Somerset Landing is basically Aliens, using a ruleset I don't know anything about but Angus Abramson is a name I trust.

A Far Off Land is a fully Fate game about people who span the real world and an adjacent fantasy land which owes a lot to Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure how good it's going to be, but with a $10 pdf level it's probably worth a shot.

Henker
May 5, 2009

potatocubed posted:

The Fall of Somerset Landing is basically Aliens, using a ruleset I don't know anything about but Angus Abramson is a name I trust.

I'm impressed by much they managed to complete rip-off Aliens.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Any thoughts on Detective: City of Angels? I love mystery solving games, but the price seems awfully steep.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Henker posted:

I'm impressed by much they managed to complete rip-off Aliens.

After looking at it I can't believe this is legal.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

potatocubed posted:

lol it's using that lovely O.L.D./N.E.W. system made by the guy in charge of ENWorld.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

lol it's using that lovely O.L.D./N.E.W. system made by the guy in charge of ENWorld.

Holy crap, I haven't thought about that dog in ages.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Is it truly lovely? From what I've heard it's an inoffensive variant of WEG's D6 system.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

In non-RPGs, Mantic's Kings of War: Vanguard has gone live, Skirmish game connected to the wildly successful rank and file mass battle game Kings of War. Uses elite troops and heroes to play the battle before the battle, skirmishers lead by commanders with character progression, can make one big campaign with both games, or just a skirmish campaign, or one off games as you like. Their approach to a skirmish game was inspired by a visit to the memorial at Quatre Bras, and the battle for the farmhouse that helped decide how the Battle of Waterloo went 2 days later.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 1, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Megazver posted:

Is it truly lovely? From what I've heard it's an inoffensive variant of WEG's D6 system.

Reviews/breakdowns I've seen of it suggest that it's basically a fiddly d6 system with nothing to actually recommend it whatsoever.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Kai Tave posted:

Reviews/breakdowns I've seen of it suggest that it's basically a fiddly d6 system with nothing to actually recommend it whatsoever.

Sounds like a job for the FATAL & Friends thread!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Peas and Rice posted:

Any thoughts on Detective: City of Angels? I love mystery solving games, but the price seems awfully steep.

I looked into it but didn't back. The default game seems to be a GM and multiple players who compete which doesn't seem like a good system. If the players cooperate it's pretty much an RPG and I already have a bunch of those. If you play it without a GM it's Consulting Detective which I still have cases for. Basically I think it is trying to do too much and doesn't look like it does anything very well.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Sounds like a job for the FATAL & Friends thread!

I never looked into it, but I'd say the opposite - sounds too boring for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

ProfessorCirno posted:

I never looked into it, but I'd say the opposite - sounds too boring for that.

Well, by itself Middenarde seemed boring by itself too, until we found the Peasant Birdlord ;)