Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

So... why can she wear regular clothes just fine once you unlock them?

[zoidberg voice] Hurray she's cured!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Noooo. Quiet is far and away the nadir on that issue for a fair few reasons.

I mean, yes and no. She has a personality and a character arc, at least, and it's obvious that they put a lot of time into the subtlety of her facial capture.

And then she sticks her rear end in your face...

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Kojima (despite all his flaws) is creative and makes solid and sometimes groundbreaking gameplay.
Cage makes bad amalgamations of movies he’s recently seen and wants to make movies instead of games.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

but it's a very intimate and plot important face assing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

but it's a very intimate and plot important face assing

Yes, I did smell a sort of intimacy between my digital overman and the digital deafmute paramilitary waifu

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finished Nier:A -- I think? I got endings A B C D and E but I thought (probably remembering a post here wrong) D and E were like, routes that were short but maybe a few hours? and I got them just going back and making the different choice at the final fight between 9S and A2 and then doing the credits shooter game. Actually got D before C -- I figured this was one of the points you'd come back to for the other routes but the first time how are you not gonna choose your boy Nines?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I mean, yes and no. She has a personality and a character arc, at least, and it's obvious that they put a lot of time into the subtlety of her facial capture.

I love the way BB and Quiet wordlessly communicates throughout the story and also during gameplay. To me, they were the best of war buddies, and her last mission is in every way the game's true ending IMHO. Also, that rain scene is god-drat hilarious.

It's unfortunate that Kojima couldn't help himself. She would have been a decent-to-great character otherwise. Unlocking the prologue outfit helps but it almost makes the heli animations stick out even more.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

gently caress Kojima for setting off the sequence of events that resulted in me seeing a photo of Palmer Lucky in fishnets and a bikini top.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Finished Nier:A -- I think? I got endings A B C D and E but I thought (probably remembering a post here wrong) D and E were like, routes that were short but maybe a few hours? and I got them just going back and making the different choice at the final fight between 9S and A2 and then doing the credits shooter game. Actually got D before C -- I figured this was one of the points you'd come back to for the other routes but the first time how are you not gonna choose your boy Nines?

Doesn’t matter if you do C or D first.
When you’ve seen E you’re done. You didn’t miss anything. That’s the last ending. The rest are the optional joke ones.

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 31, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Montalvo posted:

Thanks! One other question -- how is the text in terms of size/readability? My eyes aren't the greatest. I have a fairly large TV and sit reasonably close to it, but just wanted to double check.

It's been a while so I don't think I can give you the best answer, but I would recommend pulling up a PS4 gameplay video through the YouTube app and seeing how the text there looks to you

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Renoistic posted:

I love the way BB and Quiet wordlessly communicates throughout the story and also during gameplay. To me, they were the best of war buddies, and her last mission is in every way the game's true ending IMHO. Also, that rain scene is god-drat hilarious.

It's unfortunate that Kojima couldn't help himself. She would have been a decent-to-great character otherwise. Unlocking the prologue outfit helps but it almost makes the heli animations stick out even more.

I feel the same way about that mission, the way I played it and the scenes afterward made it feel like a perfect coda for the game I had been playing and the story that I cared about. Everything after, and everything else people wanted to be tacked on, is extraneous cruft by comparison.

It even does the full credits with that great song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLyiIkO7WtI

If Kojima had just pulled back a little on the visual design, it would be so much better. But his goal was to influence cosplayers I guess, and mission accomplished on that front, I guess :geno:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I went with A2 instead the first time. I was more into winning as the character 2B explicitly entrusted with the future.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Holy poo poo, FFXV is 66GB

This better have the most fluid hair graphics in the world.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Samuringa posted:

Holy poo poo, FFXV is 66GB

This better have the most fluid hair graphics in the world.

The boy crew require 10gb per character to contain each of their sparkling, beautiful personalities.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's a good thing they're splitting up the FF7 remake, because otherwise there wouldn't be a way to not download the entire thing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Hey who here has played Hidden Agenda? That got almost no hype huh.

I know right? I haven't herd a single impression which is weird considering how much people here like Until Dawn. I'd have grabbed it right away if i wasn't already so backlogged. Also, the marketing really kind of convinced me that I should wait until I have a few people over to play it with. i had no idea about the playlink stuff until it was released.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Recently picked up a 4k TV (Samsung MU8000) and a Pro. What are the ideal video settings for this setup?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

el oso posted:

Recently picked up a 4k TV (Samsung MU8000) and a Pro. What are the ideal video settings for this setup?

Check rtings i guess

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Meldonox posted:

I went with A2 instead the first time. I was more into winning as the character 2B explicitly entrusted with the future.
Fair enough, I will say I did not 100% understand what was going on at any point in that game and just went with my gut.

Fantastic experience all around. Played it over like four months and for a while enjoyed it but didn't really get why people were calling it their GoTY but I do now. Still HZD for me but if we're talking about games with ambitious to the point of kinda incomprehensible ideas about storytelling, N:A over MGSV.

Started UC4 immediately after finishing Nier and goddamn is this a good looking game. A few moments in the Nathan and Elena at home chapter genuinely could have fooled me for film. Before I was thinking of HZD as the best looking game I've ever played and I'm eager for the DLC next week to get back in and compare.

Does ULL look that good?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yes, it’s more or less a standalone expansion on the same engine.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope I can just load the Horizon DLC with my endgame save, it would be nice to use the thing I got near the end of the game

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Has anyone played Farming Simulator 17? It looks really dope and is currently on sale.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Manatee Cannon posted:

I got the alien isolation bundle from the sale because gently caress it

any tips for someone starting out

Some tips-

Some weapons other than the Flamethrower can make the Alien run away

Walking is better than crouching around most of the time. If the Alien is in the same room or adjacent to you, then you should be crouching.

If your crafting items are maxed out, craft more stuff, Pipebombs are useful throughout the whole game.

Lockers are pretty much a death trap in my eyes. You run out of options when you hide in a locker, and the Alien is programmed to run a check on lockers when you are in them. Tables are OP, at least on normal. The Alien can't really see over certain tables when you are crouching and you can just circle around it to evade it.

You can use your wrench to kill a certain enemy that pops up much later in the game and it plays a special animation for it and saves ammo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Fair enough, I will say I did not 100% understand what was going on at any point in that game and just went with my gut.

Fantastic experience all around. Played it over like four months and for a while enjoyed it but didn't really get why people were calling it their GoTY but I do now. Still HZD for me but if we're talking about games with ambitious to the point of kinda incomprehensible ideas about storytelling, N:A over MGSV.

Started UC4 immediately after finishing Nier and goddamn is this a good looking game. A few moments in the Nathan and Elena at home chapter genuinely could have fooled me for film. Before I was thinking of HZD as the best looking game I've ever played and I'm eager for the DLC next week to get back in and compare.

Does ULL look that good?

I'd actually say Lost Legacy beats out UC4 occasionally, but is pretty comparable overall.

E: visually at least. UC4 is a better game IMO. Both great though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 1, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never had any problems hiding in lockers, I think the only time it ever grabbed me out of one is when I was too slow and it saw me going in or one time when I didn't hold my breath quite long enough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

Cage makes bad amalgamations of movies he’s recently seen and wants to make movies instead of games.

People said the exact same thing about Kojima for decades now.

You an find Cage's games bad or uninteresting but they rely very heavily on the kind of interactivity only a video game can produce. The most memorable part of his best known game is all about how you are the one cutting off a finger. The shitload of choices that go into that act, whether it's choosing the tool for the job, preparing Ethan for the act or readying the follow-up treatment, still impresses me to this day. There's no way this would ever have been even a quarter as memorable if it was in a movie and I'm pretty sure Cage is aware of that. I'm also pretty sure that's why people like his games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I hope I can just load the Horizon DLC with my endgame save, it would be nice to use the thing I got near the end of the game

It's just an area that unlocks on the world map, you can get to it at any point in the story.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im playing through Wolfenstein TNC and it feels like all of the impressive stuff about it is simply related to the story. Maybe its because I burned myself out on The New Order and The Old Blood, but it feels like absolutely no updates were made to the actual combat and gameplay.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No that's about right.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

veni veni veni posted:

I know right? I haven't herd a single impression which is weird considering how much people here like Until Dawn. I'd have grabbed it right away if i wasn't already so backlogged. Also, the marketing really kind of convinced me that I should wait until I have a few people over to play it with. i had no idea about the playlink stuff until it was released.

The Polygon podcast said that the gameplay-to-talking ratio was pretty low and that, at the point they were at, the story didn't seem that great. I haven't heard anything from someone who has completed the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how big of a discount do you think the horizon complete edition is likely to get? because the double discount sale puts the base game at just under $30 and I could preorder the dlc for $15

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's going to retail at $50 when it releases in a month where it will probably remain through at least the holiday season. The only thing you'd miss out on are the deluxe edition theme, weapon and outfits, and none of them are a big deal.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So a month after I replayed LA Noire on a whim, they announced the PS4 port. :suicide:

What a completely random game to port.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I am still holding out hope for a tomba! remaster/remake

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Quiet's design falls apart at a more basic level than waving her rear end in your face in the helicopter with just the premise of "oh she needs bare skin to breathe, that's why she's sprinting at sub-sonic speeds without a sports bra". In the last mission with Quiet where she's captured, she's suffocating with the prison clothes on. The moment just her legs are free, she's fully restored and murders all three would-be rapist soldiers. You could get the same premise across with just a tanktop and khaki pants or shorts, and still look pretty drat practical for combat zones in Afghanistan and Africa.

While it's been a fair while since I've played MGS4, so correct me if I've forgotten something, but the difference with Quiet and the BB Corps is that the most fanservice-y they really get with the BB Corps is the photo mode. And it's clearly set up as a silly little extra thing you really have to try to cause. While their skintight bodysuits are absolutely for the sake of fanservice, their designs at the very least carry an element of looking like they're functionally necessary for integrating with their powered armor with all the data cables and whatnot. When they come for you in a fight, they're out to just straight-up kill Snake as professional/insane super-soldiers. Even the FROGs look functional; It's a lightweight bodysuit and armor to keep the overall weight down so they can leap up walls. Quiet, on the other hand, is played completely straight from the prison cell that's a fistful of single bills away from a seedy stripclub, 80's music and all, to just presenting like a mandrill every couple of minutes in the Aerial Command Center.

Renoistic posted:

Agreed.

...! posted:

So a month after I replayed LA Noire on a whim, they announced the PS4 port. :suicide:

I think the Switch port is probably novel enough to do alright, just in a general "look what it can run" sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-11-01-housemarque-says-a-bittersweet-farewell-to-arcade-shoot-em-ups

:rip:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Next game to launch on steam early access? god drat they are hosed.

For real guys buy nex machina its insanely good and puts the indie twinstick game youve mistakenly been playing to total shame.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

For those of you waiting on cheap PS+, gamestop has codes for $40

https://www.gamestop.com/console-subscriptions/playstation-plus-1-year-membership/84626

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am extremely bad at The New Colossus, but having lots of fun with it as my first foray into the series. I sometimes I have to bump the difficulty down to the easiest option during some of the more intense gunfights, because I am terrible at videogames. That being said -- when I inevitably fail a stealth segment and the commanders call in for reinforcements on their alarms, does that mean enemy soldiers are constantly spawned until I find and kill the commander, or is it just a set number? In other words, is it better to hunker down and kill people from cover in that scenario, or should I just run and gun for the commander?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

...! posted:

Are they making any gameplay changes? Or just a straight port?