Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems to have the standard Not Naughty Dog human character look for this gen. Slightly off, kind of always look like they're making a frightened face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

McCloud posted:

Is it just me, or do the graphics look less than stellar for current gen?

I'd take slightly shittier graphics for a huge open world New York and physics based swinging.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That's something I always wondered why computer game companies never do.

So way back in 2000, footage was released for this new Zelda game. It looked amazing and was considered too good to be true. In fact it was, it was a tech demo to drum up interest, but they couldn't make a game using that engine.

But that thought has always stuck with me. Like why not make a computer game, with a generic engine that is easy to work with and does all the stuff that you want the main game to do.

But then for one specific section of the game (say the final boss battle.) use a completely different engine. One which pushes technology to the limit and looks far better than the main game. But make the engine limited so that it only has to do like three or four things. Instead of a wide engine that has to handle your character walking around and jumping over fences, just make it a pre-rendered on rails sequence where you have a couple of limited choices.

Like basically make a normal game and have the very final boss fight just be a Dragons Lair style branching animated movie with the best possible pre-rendered graphics imaginable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

People hate QTE boss battles already, that's a garbage idea.

Also, you can't just "switch engines" that's not how it works at ALL.

Also, that's not how different engines work. You don't have a different engine for each style of play you could have.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 31, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Question IRL posted:

That's something I always wondered why computer game companies never do.

So way back in 2000, footage was released for this new Zelda game. It looked amazing and was considered too good to be true. In fact it was, it was a tech demo to drum up interest, but they couldn't make a game using that engine.

But that thought has always stuck with me. Like why not make a computer game, with a generic engine that is easy to work with and does all the stuff that you want the main game to do.

But then for one specific section of the game (say the final boss battle.) use a completely different engine. One which pushes technology to the limit and looks far better than the main game. But make the engine limited so that it only has to do like three or four things. Instead of a wide engine that has to handle your character walking around and jumping over fences, just make it a pre-rendered on rails sequence where you have a couple of limited choices.

Like basically make a normal game and have the very final boss fight just be a Dragons Lair style branching animated movie with the best possible pre-rendered graphics imaginable.

Your ideas are garbage because you just described QTEs which are a medium rarely well done and also described something most people hate in their video games which is a final boss where all the stuff you spent the entire game learning gets thrown out the window for some random one off poo poo

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Question IRL posted:

What you're proposing is basically the same as trying to shove two entirely different types of engine into a single automobile.

The engine for a program is the central set of software libraries which guides every bit of the whole experience, from graphics to physics to where its files are located. Using another engine entirely for a specific segment would comically bloat the size of the final product for an uncertain benefit to the end-user, at least double the time it took to test and debug the game, and require a producer to hire a team of employees specifically to work with and integrate the two programs, which is going to blow a big hole in the game's operating budget.

It's much simpler to use a single, flexible engine that can do most or all of what you ask of it, and if somebody wants to make a game that demands more performance or utility than existing engines can produce, then they're just going to make a new engine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also, most people who buy a game will never fight the final boss. Looking at my Steam library, I've beaten 11 out of 145. probably half the games I own are just things I bought on a whim because it was less than 5 bucks in a sale, but there's at least 30-40 games on there I've played for more than a few hours and haven't beaten out of boredom or distraction or difficulty. So that's a lot of extra work for content most people will never see, that's part of the reason many games are hella front loaded in the quality of their content.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The go-to number in games development, due to the current prevalence of achievement systems, is 30%. When you release a game, it must be with the knowledge that an average of 70% of your end users will not play it for long enough to complete it, in whatever form that completion takes.

It's actually a little disquieting if you look at similar statistics. A lot of players also mash buttons to get into a game as quickly as possible, so a lot of games get played with the first default customization profile, or whichever main character is the first one you can select. 80% of Mass Effect players use the default white male Shepard.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

The go-to number in games development, due to the current prevalence of achievement systems, is 30%. When you release a game, it must be with the knowledge that an average of 70% of your end users will not play it for long enough to complete it, in whatever form that completion takes.

It's actually a little disquieting if you look at similar statistics. A lot of players also mash buttons to get into a game as quickly as possible, so a lot of games get played with the first default customization profile, or whichever main character is the first one you can select. 80% of Mass Effect players use the default white male Shepard.

I know a good chunk will just go with the default no matter what, but I wonder how much that 80% would change by if the default Shepard wasn't a white male. There was a multiplayer survival game that in alpha you could only be a bald white dude, but an update made it so you could also be a bald black dude, but you couldn't actually choose, you were just randomly assigned one or the other and stuck with that forever. A lot of people complained about being forced to be a black guy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah like check the trophies for a game like dark souls 3, something like 80% of the total players lit the first bonfire (something that takes like 10 minutes to do)

Edit: 89.9% of all ds3 players have beat the first boss

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 31, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
78.1% of players finished the first chapter of TWD; 37.1% finished the last. That's a 40% drop on a game where all you do is click on choices, it's no surprise someone might not beat the first boss of DS3.

To be fair, that's not exclusive to games, many times I've watched a couple of episodes of some tv show and then gave up, not even because they're bad. There's just a lot of stuff to do online nowadays.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Samuringa posted:

78.1% of players finished the first chapter of TWD; 37.1% finished the last. That's a 40% drop on a game where all you do is click on choices, it's no surprise someone might not beat the first boss of DS3.

To be fair, that's not exclusive to games, many times I've watched a couple of episodes of some tv show and then gave up, not even because they're bad. There's just a lot of stuff to do online nowadays.

For me it's a side effect of young me being able to get 2-3 new video games a year if I was LUCKY, so I instinctively jump on every humble bundle and good deal that I can. I'd wager I've played less than 10% of my Steam backlog for any length of time, and I have Playstation 2 games that aren't even opened.

Shockingly, I don't have as much time to spend on games as I did when I was 13.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd rather have too much to do than not enough anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

In that specific example, I think the first chapter has been offered for a free a few times.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

For me it's a side effect of young me being able to get 2-3 new video games a year if I was LUCKY, so I instinctively jump on every humble bundle and good deal that I can. I'd wager I've played less than 10% of my Steam backlog for any length of time, and I have Playstation 2 games that aren't even opened.

Shockingly, I don't have as much time to spend on games as I did when I was 13.

This is it for me too. There's so much to do in these games now and so little time. I felt like I binged through Arkham Knight and it took me like 10 weeks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

This is it for me too. There's so much to do in these games now and so little time. I felt like I binged through Arkham Knight and it took me like 10 weeks.

Witcher 3, man. That one set me back. Saw mountains rise and fall in the time it took to finish that game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn sucked me in, between it and Saints Row 4 I spent more time on those two games than the rest of my game purchases in the last 7 years combined.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I was moving around a bit and had to take about 2-3 months off from gaming, then when I got back into it I played Phantom Pain and Fallout 4. Between all of that I don't think I'll ever make a dent in my backlog (Witcher 3 is sitting there taunting me too)

Content wise though I certainly don't mind having a lot to do, but I'd rather have a really fun, 8-10 hour game than some open world epic where I'm just doing the same 3 or 4 things over and over again for weeks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I know a good chunk will just go with the default no matter what, but I wonder how much that 80% would change by if the default Shepard wasn't a white male. There was a multiplayer survival game that in alpha you could only be a bald white dude, but an update made it so you could also be a bald black dude, but you couldn't actually choose, you were just randomly assigned one or the other and stuck with that forever. A lot of people complained about being forced to be a black guy.

Probably a fair bit. Single-player video games on a console or PC have a significant enough barrier to entry that the primary demographic for them is still young white guys, and most people, if given the choice, tend to play characters in games that reflect themselves. It's one of the reasons why so many video game protagonists tend to be young, generically handsome white guys, and why a lot of multiplayer shooters will have an entry-level, back-to-basics character who's a white guy, i.e. Soldier in Overwatch or Hollywood in Agents of Mayhem.

It's one of those sociological game factors that tends to change a lot when you get into the enthusiast population, of course. Enthusiasts are the ones who don't mind playing flamboyantly ugly fantasy races in their RPGs, or who'll spend two hours tweaking every detail of a custom Shepard, and in a mainstream game, the 10 to 20% of the user base who are enthusiasts can still comfortably be a few hundred thousand people. Since they also congregate together due to a shared interest, it can result in a media bubble where they have no idea how the silent majority is actually playing the same games.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Medullah posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn sucked me in, between it and Saints Row 4 I spent more time on those two games than the rest of my game purchases in the last 7 years combined.

They ALL suck me in it's just finding a rainy Sunday when I don't have my kid to dedicate to it. Jealous that I won't get to play the new Spiderman game since it looks cool and I'm on XBone but I have Rise of the Tomb Raider right now and that poo poo owns.

Still want my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction reboot/remake/sequel/whatever because not only was it awesome but I could also play it in short spurts and just wreck poo poo for 45 minutes without 10 side quests and poo poo.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

used to be way more completionist in the open world games, but now with time a factor, I just go for the main stories and any interesting side quest stuff. A huge problem with these games is "Wow look how huge the world is! Please ignore how there's absolutely nothing to do!"

My girlfriend jokes about my huge backlog of games. Although god help me when dbz fighter z comes out because I likely won't be playing any other game for like a year.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

BiggerBoat posted:

Still want my Hulk: Ultimate Destruction reboot/remake/sequel/whatever because not only was it awesome but I could also play it in short spurts and just wreck poo poo for 45 minutes without 10 side quests and poo poo.

THIS. I don't understand why they didn't take every superhero property and make something like this or GTA. Spider-man 2 (Which we all know and love) was like that as well. That's what I hope the new Spider-man is.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

With no licensed comics thread, I guess this can go here.
Titan has grabbed Ales Kot to make a Bloodbourne comic https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/10/31/16586868/bloodborne-comic-book-titan-comics
There have been Dark Souls comics that I wasn't too impressed with, but that's interesting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Comfortador posted:

THIS. I don't understand why they didn't take every superhero property and make something like this or GTA. Spider-man 2 (Which we all know and love) was like that as well. That's what I hope the new Spider-man is.

Open-world games were incredibly time- and money-intensive to make even back in the PS2 era. Even a relatively featureless city that you made up yourself (i.e. Liberty City) is going to take thousands of man-hours to render, populate, and test. It's part of why a lot of the earlier open-world games are also notoriously, hilariously buggy; for every bug you encounter in-game, assume there were half a dozen that just happened to be ahead of it on the priority list. Eventually they just had to ship the drat thing.

Starting in the HD era, it became prohibitively costly to develop open-world games at all for anyone besides triple-A developers, since the raising level of technology meant the development process itself became incrementally more expensive. A lot of the third-party studios that made their bones off that kind of thing went under or got acquired. It also didn't help that every time Rockstar put out a new game, it effectively raised the bar on what "open world" actually meant.

Right now, open-world games require so many man-hours to produce that they've become the exclusive province of a relative handful of developers, who can keep at it because they enjoy major studio backing (Sucker Punch), a complicated multi-studio structure that turns every release into a 12-office jam session (Ubisoft), or a track record of immense success (Rockstar). Anybody else isn't going to want to commit to that expensive of a production, especially with a studio like Insomniac that kinda took a bath on its last couple of major releases.

Now, you can turn around and say, "Well, gently caress that, then. A studio could just pretend it's 2002 and give me an open-world game with PS2-quality graphics, right? That'd be easier and cheaper!"

Well, yes, in theory. It'd also be a very hard sell at a shareholder's meeting and it'd go over in the casual market like a case of the clap. It's also a level of time and money commitment that's well beyond the reach of the current hobbyist/indie developer, though that probably won't be the case for much longer. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see some kind of early sixth-generation retro craze at some point in the near future, where people get way into super-blocky polygons and simple 3D animations for a while, but you still wouldn't see anybody but the doomed or the crazy try to release an open-world game.

Wanderer fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 1, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The LEGO games pull off open world superhero stuff but that kinda proves your point re graphics.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lobok posted:

Witcher 3, man. That one set me back. Saw mountains rise and fall in the time it took to finish that game.
Every Uncharted game became a tradition of me binge playing it from the evening till the early hours of the morning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

achillesforever6 posted:

Every Uncharted game became a tradition of me binge playing it from the evening till the early hours of the morning.

Are you also one of those Uncharted fans that replays the whole series each time a new one comes out?

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Wait...wait.

What I said was...

...Do you understand?

Wanderer posted:

Extremely articulate, explanative, and well thought out post.

I hate you and your kind. GIVE ME WHAT I WANT.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Lobok posted:

Are you also one of those Uncharted fans that replays the whole series each time a new one comes out?

I would rather kill myself than replay the ship sections of Uncharted 3 again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I played through that bit again on the remaster and it wasn't so bad a second time. It just feels horrible when you don't know what to do.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wanderer posted:

What you're proposing is basically the same as trying to shove two entirely different types of engine into a single automobile.

The engine for a program is the central set of software libraries which guides every bit of the whole experience, from graphics to physics to where its files are located. Using another engine entirely for a specific segment would comically bloat the size of the final product for an uncertain benefit to the end-user, at least double the time it took to test and debug the game, and require a producer to hire a team of employees specifically to work with and integrate the two programs, which is going to blow a big hole in the game's operating budget.

It's much simpler to use a single, flexible engine that can do most or all of what you ask of it, and if somebody wants to make a game that demands more performance or utility than existing engines can produce, then they're just going to make a new engine.

I guess that sort of makes sense. I suppose I was thinking in terms of the days when Game Companies would devote time to making long pre-rendered cutscenes for the Intro that was done with graphics far in advance of the main game. (The PS1/PS 2 Era Final Fantasy Games. A lot of PC adventure games like Outcast etc..) Basically bring something like that back for one or two specific sequences not in the games main engine and just make it a branching cutscene, which is disguised with some button prompts to decide the players choice, or a basic "Rock/Paper/Scissors" style mechanic where your choice is either the right response, the sort of right response, the sort of wrong response or sort of wrong.

The idea that it wouldn't be done because it's more of an artistic idea and not commercially viable visa vie the financing of computer games (and how you'd be paying for content that most buyers would never see...unless they watch You Tube videos of people play it weeks after the game came out.) is probably the biggest reason why it would never be done.

I still think it's an idea with potential, but I understand the why it would never exist. Outside of me stumbling across a Cosmic Cube and wishing the game into existence.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still don't think you're realizing that it's a really bad idea that's already pretty common in games. And you still don't seem to understand what a game engine even is. I would just drop it if I were you before you make yourself look even dumber.

It sounds like you don't play many video games, since you're misunderstanding a lot of basic things, which makes it stranger that you'd be so adamant on "This is what game companies should do" based on a misinterpreted comment about Zelda.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 1, 2017

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

I guess that sort of makes sense. I suppose I was thinking in terms of the days when Game Companies would devote time to making long pre-rendered cutscenes for the Intro that was done with graphics far in advance of the main game. (The PS1/PS 2 Era Final Fantasy Games. A lot of PC adventure games like Outcast etc..) Basically bring something like that back for one or two specific sequences not in the games main engine and just make it a branching cutscene, which is disguised with some button prompts to decide the players choice, or a basic "Rock/Paper/Scissors" style mechanic where your choice is either the right response, the sort of right response, the sort of wrong response or sort of wrong.

You really aren't making a lot of sense here. You want the visual clarity of a PS/PS2-era prerendered movie combined with some degree of interactivity? Because we've more or less had that for close to a decade now.

Those prerendered sequences in earlier games were just movie files set to play when the player performed certain actions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

By definition, pre-rendered graphics cannot be interactive. That's just an FMV game. Which is again, another idea that was tried and hated.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Vakal posted:

I would rather kill myself than replay Uncharted 3 again.

Fixed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tough, but fair.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Eh UC3 has a lot of the best set pieces, the best character (Cutter) and nothing as bad as the jetski sections in UC1. I am glad it wasn't the last game in the series though, since it felt like there was still stuff to explore in that universe and it would have been a shame if it ended the way it did in UC3.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

By definition, pre-rendered graphics cannot be interactive. That's just an FMV game. Which is again, another idea that was tried and hated.

Uh... the pre-rendered backgrounds in the early Resident Evils would disagree. You certainly can't have the whole game be prerendered, but you can absolutely have elements.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Uh... the pre-rendered backgrounds in the early Resident Evils would disagree. You certainly can't have the whole game be prerendered, but you can absolutely have elements.

I mean, the backgrounds themselves are not interactive.

Also, the pre-rendered graphics dude was talking about were straight FMV cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://youtu.be/oMKu9tIkYz0

!!!