Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oops, I kinda sequence broke the first boss by accident. I hope I didn't miss any important cutscenes or anything.

By the way I've heard higher rarity mounts are faster? Is this true?

EDIT: Anyone else unable to download the Desert Cobra pack?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I wish this game's writers weren't so afraid of joking. It happens but very very rarely. That's what made TW3 and Ezio games great and actually gave them some tone range. I know that the protagonist is supposed to be in mourning but they don't really show that in character interactions either. Emotionally it's all pretty limited. It's still good for an AC game but maybe because of all the TW3 mechanics I'm missing some better writing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of that, the (post first boss spoilers)way his son dies is so dumb.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

RatHat posted:

Oops, I kinda sequence broke the first boss by accident. I hope I didn't miss any important cutscenes or anything.

By the way I've heard higher rarity mounts are faster? Is this true?

EDIT: Anyone else unable to download the Desert Cobra pack?

That's a good question really. It just kinda... happened randomly without my even realizing he was there!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Palpek posted:

I wish this game's writers weren't so afraid of joking. It happens but very very rarely. That's what made TW3 and Ezio games great and actually gave them some tone range. I know that the protagonist is supposed to be in mourning but they don't really show that in character interactions either. Emotionally it's all pretty limited. It's still good for an AC game but maybe because of all the TW3 mechanics I'm missing some better writing.

I know he's not a wise-cracking American Action Movie star but I found the little things he did--when he smiled or frowned--especially during certain moments in cutscenes (ie: turning to a scowl after joking and drinking with friends, getting all soft around kids, or my favorite, silently mocking someone when meeting (early celebrity spoilers) Cleopatra endeared him more than enough to me. I don't mind that he's not throwing one-liners or hitting on the ladies all the time. He's an Ancient Egyptian Spectre/Super-Agent/Judge Sheriff. He'll be putting on a firm front towards most, especially if you're doing nothing but side-quests (like I am), but he's also not afraid to mention how much he's getting bothered by folks.

Also, I totally feel that they show Bayek (same spoiler as quote) in mourning with how he reacts to certain things in cutscenes, especially the assassination targets post-mortem cutscenes. Don't know why, but I'm rather fond of Bayek.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Arthil posted:

That's a good question really. It just kinda... happened randomly without my even realizing he was there!

I got exactly the same. I was doing a side mission where I was supposed to infiltrate some place. I was working on cleaning out the guards when I assassinated one of them and the game immediately cut to a cut scene showing me murdering the first target. I was very confused. The cut scene that follows is very long and strange too, hard to understand at the time what was happening.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm gonna sleep dart The Crocodile and feed that motherfucker to some actual crocodiles. The piece of poo poo.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so how bad is the cpu problem some people have reported?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Still deeply not seeing the point of the levelling system. Just killed The Outsider, one of those phylake guys, loot him and get... a sword I can't use for another 2 levels. In a single player game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Vitamin P posted:

Still deeply not seeing the point of the levelling system. Just killed The Outsider, one of those phylake guys, loot him and get... a sword I can't use for another 2 levels. In a single player game.

new to rpgs huh

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So are people aware that you can use your sword (and other melee weapons) and bow in the water?? :aaa:

For the bow you have to be above water, but the sword can be used while treading water or swimming beneath the surface. This is amazing and the game never loving told me. I found out completely by accident.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Morter posted:

I know he's not a wise-cracking American Action Movie star but I found the little things he did--when he smiled or frowned--especially during certain moments in cutscenes (ie: turning to a scowl after joking and drinking with friends, getting all soft around kids, or my favorite, silently mocking someone when meeting (early celebrity spoilers) Cleopatra endeared him more than enough to me. I don't mind that he's not throwing one-liners or hitting on the ladies all the time. He's an Ancient Egyptian Spectre/Super-Agent/Judge Sheriff. He'll be putting on a firm front towards most, especially if you're doing nothing but side-quests (like I am), but he's also not afraid to mention how much he's getting bothered by folks.

Also, I totally feel that they show Bayek (same spoiler as quote) in mourning with how he reacts to certain things in cutscenes, especially the assassination targets post-mortem cutscenes. Don't know why, but I'm rather fond of Bayek.
I don't know why you went for the wisecracking American movie star spouting one-liners hyperbole when I provided 2 good examples of what I meant right there in my post: Ezio and Geralt. I get that you're fond of Bayek though, it's perfectly ok. I agree that in the cutscenes things are properly shown but I specifically wrote about character interactions - I'm missing the loss of a child theme being present in the protagonist's interactions with his wife or friends to a point that it seems weird considering that it's the main motivation for the pair's actions. To me the writing could be better and especially the sidequests are wearing thin on me - I enjoyed them at first but deeper into the game it's all really generic and fetchquest-y (there are some exceptions though). They went the TW3 way alright but forgot to make the 10 thousand sidequests actually amusing or memorable and it's not working for me in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game a lot for its action and its setting and its beautiful world and I like Bayek as an AC character. It's just that with all the changes they brought to the series I have a feeling that the writing got left behind.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 1, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

corn in the bible posted:

new to rpgs huh

You're probably confusing mechanics with the things those mechanics are meant to represent.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Palpek posted:

I don't know why you went for the wisecracking American movie star spouting one-liners hyperbole when I provided 2 good examples of what I meant right there in my post: Ezio and Geralt.

I feel like--accents and setting aside, they play off of that just a little. Both made my eyes roll at poor attempts of puns or shots at enemies. Obviously, not in a way to dislike them any--I like Ezio a lot--but I feel like their personalities, or at least Ezio's (I haven't played too much into The Witcher games) are influenced by the idea of screen presence and charisma, doing little things here and there to sort of wink to the audience that there is the presence of comedy or snark or what have you. Bayek and Connor, IMO, felt more fully encapsulated in their setting, so it felt a bit more realistic and immersive to play as them. But sorry if the movie actor stereotype bugged you. Not my intention to rile. :shobon:

quote:

I agree that in the cutscenes things are properly shown but I specifically wrote about character interactions

Ah, okay, I might have misunderstood your intention here but to me it seems like he just puts on different faces depending on who he's with: With random peasants he's firm but receptive (for cries of help); To children and women he's softer and more outgoing; To anyone more annoying he's curt and a bit abrasive; To his wife he's one half of a vital young couple (at least that's what's being projected) and to his enemies he's ruthless. So he's sort of "on" as a medjay when it's called for, being more reserved, and otherwise energetic and motivated to do his own thing. That's the impression I get. But I really fall for him in the cutscenes, especially The Scarab. :ohdear:

Palpek posted:

I'm missing the loss of a child theme being present in the protagonist's interactions with his wife or friends to a point that it seems weird considering that it's the main motivation for the pair's actions.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but I feel like these two are super gung-ho into what they're doing to combat the feelings they have over that issue. Like if someone was trying to quit smoking by doing exercise and then became a gym-rat. I sense an almost tragic overcompensation/obsession into what they're doing, but I think I need more context into what they were doing before said incident, to make that call of if they're gong too far the other way. Regardless, from where I'm sitting, I'm intrigued enough to find out more, and that's just what I'm doing...

But all those side-quests though--which I can't help but do because even if you are over their level they give good chunks of experience to help fill out your bar. drat it. :negative:

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 1, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morter posted:

But all those side-quests though--which I can't help but do because even if you are over their level they give good chunks of experience to help fill out your bar. drat it. :negative:

the tooltips in the white room tell you to do sidequests for that reason and not to kill people because they're just doing their job and they have a family

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

You can light unlit wall-torches by standing near them. :3:

Edit: Correction: Any unlit fire-source.

Morter fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Nov 1, 2017

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Palpek posted:

I don't know why you went for the wisecracking American movie star spouting one-liners hyperbole when I provided 2 good examples of what I meant right there in my post: Ezio and Geralt. I get that you're fond of Bayek though, it's perfectly ok. I agree that in the cutscenes things are properly shown but I specifically wrote about character interactions - I'm missing the loss of a child theme being present in the protagonist's interactions with his wife or friends to a point that it seems weird considering that it's the main motivation for the pair's actions. To me the writing could be better and especially the sidequests are wearing thin on me - I enjoyed them at first but deeper into the game it's all really generic and fetchquest-y (there are some exceptions though). They went the TW3 way alright but forgot to make the 10 thousand sidequests actually amusing or memorable and it's not working for me in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game a lot for its action and its setting and its beautiful world and I like Bayek as an AC character. It's just that with all the changes they brought to the series I have a feeling that the writing got left behind.

Yeah, I like this game but it also reinforces what an achievement The Witcher 3 really is in characters/quests/writing. I find the gameplay more fun in Origins though, the combat in TW3 never really clicked with me. I decided it's probably better to ingore a lot of the sidequests unless I really need some levels and just keep the game installed after the credits to come back for an hour here and there mopping up and enjoying the scenery.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I am hearing a heartbeat sound in a random enemy camp. I heard the same sound near a papyrus puzzle (after I solved it, though...). When I move away it gets weaker, and I can find the spot where it is strongest. But nothing seems to be there. Any ideas?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do Bayek's robes ever get as fancy as say, Ezio's

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

Do Bayek's robes ever get as fancy as say, Ezio's

He can wear Ezio's robes

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Most of the legendary outfits are pretty sweet and intricate. The rare stuff is pretty cool too.

The outfit you get for activating the hidden thing under the Sphinx owns.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

exploded mummy posted:

He can wear Ezio's robes

Ezio looked like the last boss of a jrpg at the end of any of his games

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Morter posted:

that's why i liked bayek. he didn't feel over the top with humor or wisecracking but he also doesnt veer into stoic/brooding dude. like arno is still the worst because he flew between both extremes a bunch. bayek is nice well executed middle ground. he feels enough like genuine well roundish person.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

double nine posted:

I have an i5 and it's at 100 percent while playing. I'm also getting these weird audio buzzes like my computer is freezing up. Probably going to return it if they don't release an update. Shame because the little bit a played was really fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

double nine posted:

I got hit with it and pretty much every top Steam review right now is warning people away from buying the PC version. Refunded until they can fix it. Avoid.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye out and when/if they patch it I'll probably jump in.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Got a third gen i5 and the game runs without any issues. It's at 100% cpu usage but its temp doesn't go higher than 66C.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

SpacePope posted:

Got a third gen i5 and the game runs without any issues. It's at 100% cpu usage but its temp doesn't go higher than 66C.

I'm considering buying this. What settings are you running it at and is it at 60fps?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

On PS4, are photo mode photos only available by accessing them off the console's drive, or are they saved online anywhere?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Lord Hydronium posted:

On PS4, are photo mode photos only available by accessing them off the console's drive, or are they saved online anywhere?

You can choose to share them to an online account (Twitter, FB, Google things), but otherwise they're just on the HD.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Rented this from Gamefly. Does the story pick up at all here? I am about 3 hours in - I am having a hard time caring at all about the characters so far, the story line I really have no idea what is going on, and while I like the game play itself, and the world itself is gorgeous, I am not seeing any of the "Learn about egypt" stuff they were touting. I have not done any cool tomb style raiding which I thought would be in here in spades (Although maybe that comes later and I am not far enough in?) and the pacing of the game itself is all over the board. I also ran into level 20 missions smack dab in the middle of the 3rd area I visited while I am level 11.

Basically, does it ever get any better from a character detail/depth/story perspective? Or should I just expect this throughout the game .

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
loving finally, only took me 38 hours to get it
Edit: OK it's a spoiler apparently, so I edited it... fyi, it's the reward for doing all the stone circles, but it requires an extra step that is not mentioned in your quest log. It's pretty obvious though most people will eventually get this reward:

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 1, 2017

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

well I would have preferred not to see it until I got it.

Thanks

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm gonna sleep dart The Crocodile and feed that motherfucker to some actual crocodiles. The piece of poo poo.
Man finding the drowned girl, still holding her doll made me really angry.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Morter posted:

So are people aware that you can use your sword (and other melee weapons) and bow in the water?? :aaa:

For the bow you have to be above water, but the sword can be used while treading water or swimming beneath the surface. This is amazing and the game never loving told me. I found out completely by accident.

Figured it out the first time a croc attacked me because I freaked out and started spamming all the attack buttons. Then it was like oh, I can just chop it up.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Utnayan posted:

Rented this from Gamefly. Does the story pick up at all here? I am about 3 hours in - I am having a hard time caring at all about the characters so far, the story line I really have no idea what is going on, and while I like the game play itself, and the world itself is gorgeous, I am not seeing any of the "Learn about egypt" stuff they were touting. I have not done any cool tomb style raiding which I thought would be in here in spades (Although maybe that comes later and I am not far enough in?) and the pacing of the game itself is all over the board. I also ran into level 20 missions smack dab in the middle of the 3rd area I visited while I am level 11.

Basically, does it ever get any better from a character detail/depth/story perspective? Or should I just expect this throughout the game .

The entire game is exploring the character detail/depth/story, but it's never in any hurry to do so. You'll get what you put into it, through exploration somewhat (for the tombs and Egypt lore) but mostly through advancing the main story mission. If you're having trouble figuring out which ones are the story missions, the quest menu gives you the option to sort them out.

But yeah, the focus depends on you, and it's never a very "tight" experience. It's obviously meant to be a long, long, wandering journey for Bayek.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Historically Bayek was a man who spent his time famously robbing cedar and bronze wagons and getting into fights with crocodiles
Nothing is *mumble mumble* everything is permitted

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This game owns. I'm having a blast.

Yesterday I was clearing up the sidequests for the "Scarab" area and got to the final mission where I have to rescue a guy from a fort. Goddamn I just systematically dismantled it. I love the moments where you're just like "gently caress it" and take on six dudes. This time a phylake showed up and made things pretty hairy.

After that I was feeling pretty strong and went back to Alexandria to take on the phylake there. Initially I took him on in the middle of the city. I got rolled by him and a group of guards on horseback. After respawning I took him on solo in an area West of the city. Great fight.

The combat is very risk/reward. If you gently caress up you're going to get punished. It's very souls-like in that regard. I'm still adjusting to which enemies I can parry reliably and which I have to dodge.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I've read that the PC version taxes your CPU heavily due to all the anti piracy running on it. Am I better off picking it up on consoles if I have a PS4 Pro, even if I meet the recommended specs of the PC version?

Edit: Scrolling up seems to suggest I should just roll console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ice Fist posted:

This game owns. I'm having a blast.

Yesterday I was clearing up the sidequests for the "Scarab" area and got to the final mission where I have to rescue a guy from a fort. Goddamn I just systematically dismantled it. I love the moments where you're just like "gently caress it" and take on six dudes. This time a phylake showed up and made things pretty hairy.

After that I was feeling pretty strong and went back to Alexandria to take on the phylake there. Initially I took him on in the middle of the city. I got rolled by him and a group of guards on horseback. After respawning I took him on solo in an area West of the city. Great fight.

The combat is very risk/reward. If you gently caress up you're going to get punished. It's very souls-like in that regard. I'm still adjusting to which enemies I can parry reliably and which I have to dodge.

The arena you eventually open up to the north can be amazing for this reason exactly. The line between "total badass" and "smear on the ground" can get really narrow in the boss fights. Not sure yet about the (sort-of late game spoiler) war elephants, they seem an awful lot like bullshit time fillers.

man nurse posted:

I've read that the PC version taxes your CPU heavily due to all the anti piracy running on it. Am I better off picking it up on consoles if I have a PS4 Pro, even if I meet the recommended specs of the PC version?

Edit: Scrolling up seems to suggest I should just roll console.

Unless you want to wait for a possible patch, yes.