Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just read the new Cap. Eh. I get not wanting to get bogged down in post-SE angst, but it literally takes place in a town that is so dedicated to him that they named themselves 'Captain America, Nebraska,' and are currently in a Captain America festival where people get on stage and extol his virtue. The only person to mention the event brushes it off.
He is square-jaw'd'ly busting up cartoonish white supremacists and smiling at children in here. That might exactly what folks need to get back on the book's side, but I wasn't really compelled.

And it might not work anyway if people get mad at it definitively stating that he's only been unfrozen since 2007 first!

I'll try the next issue to see if it actually gets into an interesting story.

edit: Frazer Irving Black Bolt issue, though. This week is still gonna be good :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I honestly don't even know what I want out of Spider-Man anymore. I liked the status quo of the marriage, but also enjoyed the world post that as well, for the most part (I think I got pretty annoyed when they did all that work to establish people couldn't learn his secret identity and then blew it away for a storyline that ultimately went nowhere). I ended up catching Sinister on Unlimited, enjoyed his stop over in the X-World and really enjoyed it, but actually haven't been interested at all since Peter came back. Which really isn't that weird, my Spider-Man interest as always ebbed and flowed. Actually I think I would rather he just hang out with the X-men for a while if I had to pick, there's a lot that could be done there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Teenage Fansub posted:

And it might not work anyway if people get mad at it definitively stating that he's only been unfrozen since 2007 first!

We're soon going to approach a point where Marvel's obsession with keeping the universe and everyone in it young is going to result in things like when Batman went through 5 robins in 5 years.

Cap is one of the few characters who's origin story doesn't need to ever be updated since you can just move the year he was unfrozen up as many times as you want, but it's still puzzling to think he had all those adventures in barely 10 years. There's something to be said for keeping things vague.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Plus, I still have that issue of ASM that shows Cap was at Ground Zero on 9/11 back in 2001. #AskQuestions

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Plus, I still have that issue of ASM that shows Cap was at Ground Zero on 9/11 back in 2001. #AskQuestions

Doombot.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I love how Chip Zdarsky just makes old people inherently funny. Anyway, issue 6 of Spectacular Spider-man is all about Jonah and Spidey having a wacky interview.

I'm in tears :smith:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Zdarsky is kind of a good writer. I guess it helps that he probably read every Spiderman book in history.
I like the fact that JJJ actually didn't have any new information to give. But he was able to connect those dots.

Was that the first time that this kinda thing happened? Or did Peter have this talk at some point before some universes where mashed together?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 1, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

cant cook creole bream posted:

Zdarsky is kind of a good writer. I guess it helps that he probably read every Spiderman book in history.
I like the fact that JJJ actually didn't have any new information to give. But he was able to connect those dots.

Was that the first time that this kinda thing happened? Or did Peter have this talk at some point before some universes where mashed together?

Ultimate Peter had some nice talks with JJJ; not like this but nice and heartfelt. Honestly, I liked Ultimate JJJ way better than this one because he showed quite a bit of character growth before fizzling out with the rest of their world.

Not sure about Jameson in the main universe but Secret Wars didn't change any histories as far as I know, so if they didn't have a talk after Civil War they probably haven't had one like this at all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Rick posted:

I honestly don't even know what I want out of Spider-Man anymore. I liked the status quo of the marriage, but also enjoyed the world post that as well, for the most part (I think I got pretty annoyed when they did all that work to establish people couldn't learn his secret identity and then blew it away for a storyline that ultimately went nowhere). I ended up catching Sinister on Unlimited, enjoyed his stop over in the X-World and really enjoyed it, but actually haven't been interested at all since Peter came back. Which really isn't that weird, my Spider-Man interest as always ebbed and flowed. Actually I think I would rather he just hang out with the X-men for a while if I had to pick, there's a lot that could be done there.

If you build it they will come. The audience responds to good and interesting stories. Everything you listed in relation to Spider Man are gimmicks, not story telling, so you're probably just tired of everything hinging on the new gimmick the marketing team came up with.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HIJK posted:

If you build it they will come. The audience responds to good and interesting stories.

(Except for all the times they don't)

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Yet again, Spectacular Spider-Man proves it's the Spider-Man book that we need right now.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
I just read Spec. Spider-man and, honestly, this is the most heartfelt, meaningful way they could have done this. It's well done.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I think its one of the best Spidey issues I've ever read.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Thinking about Spectacular Spider-Man, I wonder if that big reveal is going to be canon or not.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

As someone that probably will be reading this in like two years it's really surreal to such excitement from a Spider-man book and Marvel didn't even have to announce whatever happened early to news outlets

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Well, just to give you something to look forward too, it's called "My Dinner With Jonah", all but the last two or so pages are just Spidey and JJJ talking, and it's given that issue of Black Bolt with just BB and Crusher talking a run as my favorite issue of the year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kinda pissed many of the early issues of Simonson's run on Thor on Marvel Unlimited are the recoloured versions. Really wanted to see the original art, or as close to it as MU usually gets.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oh my god, spectacular spiderman was actually spectacular.

Jonah hasn't been this interesting since...maybe when his father married aunt may? Or when ultimate Jonah had to support miles morales?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I really didn't like it. There were parts I loved-- the actual reveal, JJJ bringing out a dish of lasagna, the little nods to their shared history and intimacy, but I felt like the tone was way too dialed up, and that rather than a slow build to what would have been a very earned outburst, it just felt like a sequence of minor tantrums and lukewarm de-escalations.

On paper, and in the abstract, the sweep of the issue sounds wonderful-- two characters with a very complex relationship sitting it down and having a long, difficult, conversation culminating in a painful moment of disclosure. But I don't know, the execution fell flat, and rather than earning the gesture of tenderness that PP extends at the end, the recognition that the two characters are family, the meat of the issue gave the impression that their mutual animosity was more petty and hateful than I like to read it as.

I don't know. I don't like a Spidey that calls people "tiny and worthless," even if he's pushed to the limit. And I don't like a Spidey that could parse JJJ as tiny and worthless, and I don't really like a reading of JJJ in which that would make sense.

Edit: I reread the issue to make sure I wasn't being a sourpuss and yeah-- I admire the craft of it more than I did the first time around, but the characters feel off, like they're being made to dance a particular dance that makes more sense for this particular story than for the shared history they have. Which is fine, that's how serialized fiction on as large a scale as this works-- but when that story is about that history, one of the richest and weirdest ongoing relationships in superhero stories-- I kind of wanted them to both be acting more like their best selves. Spidey comes off for much of the issue as a distracted bully, JJJ as a schmuck. And the implication that he immediately gets sold out leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I like JJJ as a complicated and vexed figure, whose best qualities are undermined by his worst ones, but who, paradoxically, can't examine himself honestly because his deep convictions about truth-telling and integrity are projected outward. I like him as a hypocrite, an rear end in a top hat, and an occasional buffoon, but I also like him as someone who knows where his ethical lines are drawn and won't cross them. And I like Peter Parker as someone who feels the same way. That's why i really really loved the chunks of this issue that rang true to me, and why the rest of it felt iffy.

I'll say this though, I was on the verge of dropping this title, but I'm committed to sticking around to see how this reveal plays out, so I suppose I'm playing right into Chip Zdarsky's fiendish hands.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ain't nobody trying Waid's Cap? I thought it'd be the biggest deal of the week.
Wanna hear thoughts!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wanna hear thoughts!

I mostly agree with your take at the top of the page. I get wanting to make a complete 180 from Secret Empire but this felt like a weird hagiography, as if we really really really needed to be told as many times as possible that no, Captain America, he's nice, he's very nice, he's a nice man, he's a sweet boy.

Waid also seems to have a weird take on how this kind of story should be structured, and it didn't work for me. At the risk of reiterating what's already pretty thin broth, the basic premise is this: Captain America, on the trail of a terrorist group, comes to a town where he intervened early on in his post-icecube career, and finds that he's pretty much venerated there. He takes care of the bad guys and is reminded of that he can be a good influence, even after the unpleasant business of SE. Ok, didactic as all get out, and sort of boring, but sure.

But Waid seems to think this is some kind of twist story, where at the end the fact that Cap knew about the terrorists all along and was just in town to deal with them is revealed like we're supposed to be surprised. What the hell? Is he presuming that the average reader thinks that Captain America just likes going undercover to celebrations of himself as some kind of masturbatory exercise in validation? Or that he's just bumbling around the country aimlessly and wound up here as some happy coincidence? It's silly, and by playing his cards close to the chest for that pointless reveal, Waid leaves the Cap we're traveling around with a cipher, just loafing around blankly taking in how much everybody loves him.

Samnee's art was very beautiful even if the storytelling was kind of vague or lazy at times (there's that bit where the writing is telling us that he caught a toy shield reflexively without realizing it, but we don't see that happening, so the fun that visual storytelling like that can provide of being a step ahead of the characters is lost). But yeah, it felt pointless at best, offensively stupid at worst. Again, I understand the need to put SE behind us and move on, but none of this screams "I have a clear vision for a Captain America comic and a story that needs to be told." It's just like--- "here he is, Cap, and now he's not a nazi. In fact he doesn't like the bums. See you in 30." Really bad. I flipped through a store copy of Avengers too to see what else Waid is up to, and I don't know. Kind of a dire combo.

Edit: Just to make it clear that I do, you know, like comics-- Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur was very charming this week. Penny Farthing Ghost Rider, Roller Blades Ghost Rider, Tricycle Ghost Rider, love 'em all.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 2, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Spider-Man this month was all about reunions. Lana with her mother Bombshell, Miles with Goldballs, and...well, I suppose that's all! No other big surprises, no sirree bob!:v:

I'm kinda excited to see where this goes.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Wow. That interview with Jonah was truly wonderful.

Sometimes it's easy to forget why Spidey is, without question, the number one superhero around and then something like this comes out.

This book has reinvigorated my love for the best hero out there.

Thanks, Chip.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

So, Waid is totally dunking on JMS' Superman, isn't he?

The first issue is a good Cap story that you can give to anyone. Stands on its own, and there's no cliffhanger, or teases for future plot lines like a lot of first issues do.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I liked it. It's easy to be a bit cynical about its presentation -- aww gee shucks Cap is so great and all us goodhearted Americans sure love him, don't we! -- but I really really liked the core Cap ethos that the issue fixated on, which is that more powerful people should protect people less powerful than them, whether you're a superhero or ordinary person or child or anyone.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

So, Waid is totally dunking on JMS' Superman, isn't he?

The first issue is a good Cap story that you can give to anyone. Stands on its own, and there's no cliffhanger, or teases for future plot lines like a lot of first issues do.

Mark Waid posted:

Half an hour later, still fuming at JMS’s lovely passive-aggressiveness. I should probably go walk it off. Maybe with a long walk. A long, dull, pointless, boring walk. Across America.

That I won’t finish.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

Wow. That interview with Jonah was truly wonderful.

Sometimes it's easy to forget why Spidey is, without question, the number one superhero around and then something like this comes out.

This book has reinvigorated my love for the best hero out there.

Thanks, Chip.

Chip retweeted a CBR article about the issue with a major spoiler in the headline. Not sure I would have lasted the six months until it was put up on MU but to be spoiled in week 1 by the writer himself kinda sucks. Dang.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Thanks for talking about Cap guys. Reminded me that the new guy at my LOS missed yet another one of my pulls.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wanna hear thoughts!

It felt like he was trying to recapture the feeling of the first issue of his Daredevil run but SE isn't equivalent to "Matt Murdock is sad" stories so there was a bit of a disconnect in that regard at least.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have they done anything with the punisher is a nazi or swept under the rug?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Hootington posted:

If they wanted to do something awesome they'd have this guy get a distinctive scar and do some story arcs with him being all grim or whatever and then have the ACTUAL Frank Castle come back from being trapped under rubble or something and shoot his Nazi rear end.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nessus posted:

If they wanted to do something awesome they'd have this guy get a distinctive scar and do some story arcs with him being all grim or whatever and then have the ACTUAL Frank Castle come back from being trapped under rubble or something and shoot his Nazi rear end.

That literally just happened with Cap and it was not awesome.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lurdiak posted:

That literally just happened with Cap and it was not awesome.

I believe that was :thejoke:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

They haven't brought back FrankenCastle so nope.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Space Punisher is now the only punisher canon

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Sorry I'm probably super out-of-the-loop on this one but what's the beef between JMS and Waid?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

Sorry I'm probably super out-of-the-loop on this one but what's the beef between JMS and Waid?

JMS was making GBS threads on the sales figures of Spider-Man after he left, during Brand New Day. Mark Waid was either one of the writers at the time, or friends with them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hate to side with JMS on this, but...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

From what I can remember, JMS was posting pictures of graphs of different sales figures.
Then people pointed out he was comparing issues that were a part of Civil War (which would have a sales boost) against issues from the middle of Brand New Days story arcs.

JMS replied with a "what I wasn't implying sales were better under me. I just posted these photos, and you jumped to conclusions. :smug: "
I think that was when Waid replied with his Long Walk comments.

Edit: I found an old BleedingCool article that sums it all up.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/12/10/fanboy-rampage-jms-vs-steve-wacker/

What I forgot was that JMS got the image he posted from someone else's blog. That person being some crazy online person who went on long rants about how much he hates Dan Slott.
So in a way JMS was just doing what Donald Trump does when he posts a GIF that someone else made of him punching people on Twitter.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

That person being some crazy online person who went on long rants about how much he hates Dan Slott.

:baby: What kind of weirdo would do that.

• Locked thread