Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also, this was posted in the scale model thread today:

This owns

quote:

Also Mr. punch your poo poo is tight, the dragon tail is great

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I dropped one of the tiny back leg thrusters

It's cool, I needed to completely clean every inch of my entire floor anyway

you should be doing your builds in the gunpla containment zone

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ive been real lucky so far re finding bits after i drop em

i had my hi mock bits drying in the garage on foam blocks and the wind picked it up and blew it out and down the driveway and i still didnt lose any parts!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
oh man i finally had some time to start assembling tonite

getting to sand all these plastic hanging chads is so peaceful :3:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
oh my god

babies having babies,
robots building robots

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

oh my god

babies having babies,
robots building robots

this is how skynet becomes aware

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

oh my god

babies having babies,
robots building robots

lol

This is how your closet gets filled up with kits

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

B E E P a n d g r e e t i n g s t o y o u a l l
the day is here
my robot is as above still working on its legs. i have helped him with sanding and stuff but life has happened and i have not been able to help him reach completion yet ( :wink: ) but im sure this evening after class i can put some more elbow grease and processing power to work on this problem

hope yall are doing well with your other robots too :)

b e e p

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The local comic shop had a sale this weekend. I may have taken too much advantage of that

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

im gonna start my first MG kit in a couple weeks also i have like an 8 kit backlog now

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gunpla's cool and i have an old lovely particleboard thing full of kits from when i was working and had money to waste on it but no drive or space to properly do much more than clip and click them together

edit: very grumpy i only found this thread today lemme tell you what

Kitfox88 has issued a correction as of 10:01 on Oct 31, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's the last day, people! Any HI-Mocks you complete after this will not be part of the competition, you will have done them only for fun!

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's the last day, people! Any HI-Mocks you complete after this will not be part of the competition, you will have done them only for fun!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

that's me. :shobon: been meaning to work on it but lots of distractions have gotten in the way.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

that's me. :shobon: been meaning to work on it but lots of distractions have gotten in the way.

i am high + mocking you :twisted:

it was actually way easier than i thought it would be and u didnt even do it :sad:

just get a pair of dikes and some sandpaper, i used 100, 240, and 400 grit :thumbsup:

e:
also used my drill to make a hole for the middle finger i made from the greebles lol turdbott is now operational   b e e p

aint got no paint yet cuz i aint got paid yet but one day soon that is my aim :unsmith:

byob historian has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Nov 1, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Here's mine again, I tried taking a decent photo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Here's a quick gallery of mine, I made a lightbox! But i'm still bad at photos.

Silver Hi-Mock (Bad Lightbox Photos Edition) https://imgur.com/gallery/7uO7j

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i got plans to go thru today and gangtag it up, folks!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here they are, the results of the first ever C-SPAM Hi-Mock challenge!

SkunkDuster

Nebakenezzer

Guy Goodbody

punchymcpunch

mrbradlymrmartin

Taintrunner

Neurolimal

Unkempt

Guy Goodbody has issued a correction as of 14:40 on Nov 1, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

that was a lot of fun

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

that was a lot of fun

yeah i kinda wanna build another robot now :3:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah i kinda wanna build another robot now :3:

yes... yes... that’s how it starts

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

yes... yes... that’s how it starts

A long time ago, the scale model thread had a few Hi-mock alternatives. Can you tell us about other cheap grunt gundam?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

A long time ago, the scale model thread had a few Hi-mock alternatives. Can you tell us about other cheap grunt gundam?

off the top of my head, the GM is Earth’s general grunt suit and there’s a bunch of variations on it. The Gusion is like a fatter hi-Mock with a big hammer which is fun. Gouf is another solid choice, he’s one of Zeon’s grunt suits. And Zaku is always a classic, I just snapped up an MG last week, I’ll post a picture when I’m back at my computer. If you stick to HG there’s a lot of cheaper choices, but there’s absolutely options that can scale up to the ~$200 range, I have a perfect grade Strike I’m going to do pretty quick here.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You want to look for HG kits made roughly after 2003. There are literally hundreds of them, just go to dalong.net and check out the HG, BF, or IBO tags.

Dalong.net is THE website for reviews and pictures. He often goes out of his way to show what the kit looks like before detailing, and always shows runners, parts, and construction notes.

Anyway, awesome work guys! The Hi-Mocks rule.

Edit: Best Grunt kits to come out recently are the Gundam: The Origin Zaku molds. Any of them are great, though my favorite is the Prototype Dom.

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Nov 1, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
A couple good recent grunts are the GM/GM and the Io Shiden

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

RUDE BOY

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Guy Goodbody posted:

A couple good recent grunts are the GM/GM and the Io Shiden

I had a clerk at HobbyTownUSA tell me that the HGUC Ground Type GM was a really solid kit, but I'm not a huge fan of 08th MS Team or its redesigns. Going to hold out for the recently released Blue Destiny remold if I really want to play with it.

My next kit honestly is probably going to be this fellow. After the YMS-08B Prototype Dom and Char's MS-05S Zaku I Commander Type, I can't get enough of that mold and its accessories.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah, seconding the suggestion to just go on dalong and browse any of the modern HG stuff. Anything post mid 2000s is more or less snap it and click it together in terms of build simplicity, and the HG scale stuff is usually at most 25ish bucks for the actual kits, shipping notwithstanding if you're importing. :toot:

edit: my favorite GM is the Powered from 0083. IIRC there's also a version of it that showed up in build fighters so there may even be a newer fancier kit available for it

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Powered BF is pretty cool if you like yellow. There's a separate add-on pack that gives him a backpack with a bunch of arms with two miniguns and two rifles (it's what's on my Hi-Mock if you want a look), which can make him look pretty imposing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The HG Graze from the IBO line is another solid grunt suit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib
Congrats to participants in the Hi-Mock challenge! So many interesting interpretations. Unfortunately I can't choose a favorite bc they're all precious robot children trying their best in a crazy post escalator world.

IF YOU HAD FUN, YOU WON

This thread got me addicted to gunpla so I got uh, carried away (several HGs so far) and completely forgot to order a Hi-Mock myself but I'll step into the ring for the next challenge!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m definitely up for another challenge!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taintrunner posted:

I’m definitely up for another challenge!

Should we do another specific kit? Or maybe a theme?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

Should we do another specific kit? Or maybe a theme?

PERFECT GRADE LED EXIA

I mean I dunno I think it’d be fun to do something more C-SPAM themed, not sure how though

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I tried with the protest signs

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's tricky, because if we do something specific like "Antifa" that just means "paint your robot black" We need something that can inspire people in different ways. The protest signs were a good idea.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
We need to put the RED back into the Red Comet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mecha Gojira posted:

We need to put the RED back into the Red Comet.

I was thinking about Communism as a theme, but I'm worried that would just mean "paint your robot red or like a Soviet tank"

• Locked thread