Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

.Z. posted:

Non stick coating is going to wear off no matter how nice the pan is.

Not if you never use them!

My Calphalons (not Unison, the mid-range ones that are $50 for two at BBB) lasted 5 years before I had to replace them, they had very light use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

What are you guys doing to your pans?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I would just buy the cheapest non stick stuff I could find. Save your money for the stainless, cast iron and carbon steel stuff. I am still really happy with my stainless sauté pan.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'd been hearing that nonstick tech had been improving in the durability department. Is that not really the consensus?

Vast majority of use is eggs. We make fried/scrambled/omelettes probably 4 days a week, so they see a lot of use. We do take good care of them, never using metal utensils and handwashing with non-abrasive sponges, they just see a lot of use.

I'm already well stocked on other pans, with a full range of All-Clad pots and pans, with a carbon steel wok.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Do you really need a separate non stick pan then? We have a three ply all clad set with no coatings, and as long as we heat up a bit of butter or oil before putting them in, our scrambled eggs never stick.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That does not match my experience, honestly. I've done eggs in the stainless pans a few times when the nonstick are either dirty or otherwise engaged, and even with plenty of butter, there is always a solid layer of egg stuck wherever it touched.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

burner matters a bit. I cannot do those loving glass tops with an egg and stainless since the on/off operation of them sucks dick.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

What are you guys doing to your pans?

My experience is that, sooner or later, a friend or family member is over and uses the pan with a metal utensil and destroys the coating.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Feenix posted:

Le Creuset kettles have a black lining on the interior that will invariably start flaking off within a year or two's time. I've had it happen twice (and they have been kind to replace it, but in researching it, this "is a thing".

Yeah had a look at one in the shop. gently caress that.

Back to the drawing board. Good stovetop kettles please. Aesthetics important.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

.Z. posted:

My experience is that, sooner or later, a friend or family member is over and uses the pan with a metal utensil and destroys the coating.

It's either this or someone heats it up while it's empty. My Mom is amazing at destroying pans.

A couple of my Calphalon non-stick pans have held up well, but I only use them occasionally.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
FYI I have a glass top (I know :() and a Tramontina tri-ply and I make sunny side up eggs with a healthy bit of oil and don’t get sticking. Omelettes and the like can be a bit trickier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The best nonstick pan, isn’t.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkTcnjqUlmg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

So, the OP mentions the Good Grips flexible turner as a non-stick friendly spatula, and I found one on sale recently.

But compared to my prior one, it's a piece of crap!

The Dreamfarm Chopula, stupid name notwithstanding, is thinner, more flexible, more sturdy, more heat and scratch resistant, and better shaped, at the same price point.

So as much of a kitchen scrub as I am, I can't recommend it enough.

Steve Yun posted:

I'll buy it and test it out

I was skeptical, but this is actually a really good plastic spatula! It's thinner than the Oxo and that makes it more flexible upwards, which is handy for scooping up things. Also because of its concave shape, it's rigid in the downwards direction, allowing you to pick up heavy things without worrying that your spatula is going to sag and drop it.

Ironically this concave cleverness is something the Oxo thin steel spatula has had for over a decade. I dunno why they never thought to put the concave in their plastic spatula.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

.Z. posted:

Yep. My brother-in-law just spent five months living with us, and week one he had two forks in my nicest nonstick pan, trying to flip an egg. :negative:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Steve Yun posted:

I was skeptical, but this is actually a really good plastic spatula! It's thinner than the Oxo and that makes it more flexible upwards, which is handy for scooping up things. Also because of its concave shape, it's rigid in the downwards direction, allowing you to pick up heavy things without worrying that your spatula is going to sag and drop it.

Ironically this concave cleverness is something the Oxo thin steel spatula has had for over a decade. I dunno why they never thought to put the concave in their plastic spatula.

What the hell? It comes in six colors, but they won’t even let you pick the color?

That’s bullshit. They have an entire line of colored products, and I have other colored stuff in my kitchen. What if I want them all to match?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Looks like you can get red or black as individual items:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=chopula

Also, I should note that this is one of those "right-hander-friendly" utensils

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 1, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Check out Matfer Bourgeat stuff, too. I have a bunch of kitchen utensils from them, and they're absolutely amazing. Not flexible, but when you want a rigid plastic utensil, you can't do better. They're safe on everything, and they won't melt at any reasonable temperature (you'd have to take a torch to them, and I'm pretty sure they would just burn instead).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's a good receptacle to hold some kosher salt? I have a twist off lid and it's basically a pain in the rear end to have to unscrew poo poo all the time. Maybe something easy to open with a seal? I see people on Youtube and TV with something like this... But gently caress, $23?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Search "salt cellar" on Amazon. There's a metric shitload of options under $12.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

obi_ant posted:

What's a good receptacle to hold some kosher salt? I have a twist off lid and it's basically a pain in the rear end to have to unscrew poo poo all the time. Maybe something easy to open with a seal? I see people on Youtube and TV with something like this... But gently caress, $23?
I use a delitainer.

If you want more traditional, the search term you want is `salt pig'.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

obi_ant posted:

I use a hermetic jar, size is 1/2 of something, quart maybe? I think it was a hand me down.

similar to:
https://www.amazon.com/Bormioli-Rocco-Fido-Clear-17-50/dp/B0001BMYG6/

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Just go to your local goodwill and find something vaguely bowl-shaped. I use small ramekins if I need to have a separate quantity from my main salt bowl.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does the perfect salt cellar exist? My wish list:
- clear so you can see if it needs refilling
- cover to keep oil droplets and errant food splashes out
- cover that can be opened single-handedly, without needing to pop a lid
- cover that is on a hinge that closes on its own with gravity after you pull your hand out

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

- cover that is on a hinge that closes on its own with gravity after you pull your hand out
That's more or less exactly what obi_ant posted, isn't it?

What I do is use a delitainer, pop the lid when I take it out and just let the lid sit on top as a splash guard when it's on the counter, when I'm done seal it and put it in the cupboard. In addition to salt, I do this for other frequent grab-a-pinch seasonings (also sugar, five spice, and so on).

I guess if you wanted to get fancy you could hog out the lid with a flathead screwdriver so it doesn't snap shut and then make a hinge out of gaffer tape. But I've never really thought that popping the lid on a delitainer when I start prep to be a big barrier to the efficiency of my mise or whatever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Steve Yun posted:

I think you want an intern.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I just use a little bowl I bought from Target for a few bucks. It matches my decor and is easy to clean. I've never felt the need to protect my salt.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

That's more or less exactly what obi_ant posted, isn't it?

I've used that one but it seems like it was really designed for two handed use and feels awkward to use with one hand. Maybe if it A) had a lip on the lid and B) had a door that was tilted so that gravity always kept it closed, then it would be easier to open with the back of your hand, scoop out salt and have it close on its own in one motion. I know this sounds like a ridiculous amount of nitpicking for a salt cellar, but when you're cooking several things at once and scatterbrained any bit of ergonomics is appreciated

Please invest in my new kickstarter for a salt cellar

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I use the tiny useless Tupperware that comes with every set so they can up the number of pieces even though it's only big enough for like 3 olives. It was originally to make me feel better about that bullshit, but it actually works pretty well for salt.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If you can find the old school Alton Brown salt cellar, get it. It’s exactly what you want.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I've got a little generic pseudo-vacuum seal plastic tub that's pretty easy to open or close with one hand. It doesn't close or reseal itself without manual intervention though. I just leave it open while I'm actively cooking/seasoning and then close it up when I'm done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
10 or 12 inch cimeter knife for home use? I feel like 10" is probably big enough but they are about the same price. 12" might be annoying to store.

VVVVVVVV Holy poo poo I haven't seen a page like that since Geocities went offline.

wormil fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 2, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Steve Yun posted:

It's hard to tell from the bad picture in the amazon link, but it might be for onehanded usage.

Here's what a proper one should look like anyway:
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/references/theequipment/sccu.htm

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

10 or 12 inch cimeter knife for home use? I feel like 10" is probably big enough but they are about the same price. 12" might be annoying to store.

VVVVVVVV Holy poo poo I haven't seen a page like that since Geocities went offline.

I have a 12 inch chef’s knife and it’s just a bit too much knife for me. I’m an average sized American man, FWIW.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

wormil posted:

Size your knife to your cutting board, I have a small cutting board so I tend to use my santoku most often. The rule of thumb is that the knife should be no larger than the diagonal length of your cutting board and ideally should be a few inches smaller.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Size your knife to your cutting board, I have a small cutting board so I tend to use my santoku most often. The rule of thumb is that the knife should be no larger than the diagonal length of your cutting board and ideally should be a few inches smaller.

I have a butcher block kitchen island, time to break out the machete!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Lawnie posted:

I have a 12 inch chef’s knife and it’s just a bit too much knife for me. I’m an average sized American man, FWIW.

I have a 14" knife just because.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
You guys are weird, I'll just get the ten.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have a 14" knife just because.

For any job, always use the biggest knife available.

Why yes, my fingers ARE covered in tiny scars. Why do you ask?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheMadMilkman posted:

For any job, always use the biggest knife available.

Why yes, my fingers ARE covered in tiny scars. Why do you ask?

I know you're kidding but I bought a paring knife that's too small and I hate it. Never go with a 4" paring knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

My fiance is starting a wedding registry and I figured I should at least find out what goons would recommend when it comes to china/crystal. I remember someone having a few good posts on the subject in the not too distant past, but can't seem to find them. My hope is to just have one set of nice "everyday" china and stemware that we use all the time (and replace piecemeal as it breaks).