Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Fort Wainwright had to condemn an entire neighborhood before anyone even moved in because contractors tested the soil and found some nasty contaminants (and getting the area designated as a superfund site).

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local...19bb30f31a.html

Bonus:

http://dec.alaska.gov/Applications/SPAR/PublicMVC/CSP/SiteReport/4140

lol the housing department tried to give me a home there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I was looking at a GS job there for funsies. Worth it as a civilian?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Soulex posted:

I was looking at a GS job there for funsies. Worth it as a civilian?

If you're into hunting, fishing, offroading, etc: people go there and never leave for those reasons. If you're bothered by small towns, being cold, how remote Fairbanks is, or being near an army base, don't bother. I think the coldest I ever saw there was -75F, "summer" lasts all of 10 weeks, the sun barely rises in the winter (~3.5 hrs of sunlight on winter solstice) and doesn't go away in the summer (twilight is the best you get), the roads get done with gravel instead of salt (it's too cold for salt to work its magic) so your windshield will have to be replaced every year, driving on ice/snow-pack is fairly weird at first, sometimes its gets so cold the fog itself freezes, etc. People were never meant to live so far north, so of course the army put a loving base there.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
-75 you gotta be out of your loving mind

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That's not a real temperature those temperatures don't exist

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

My jeep's thermometer wouldn't admit to this happening. it won't read past -30F! :haw:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I've seen -60F windchill on a training exercise. It froze the liquid in the portapotty and all the poo poo mounded up until it was almost at seat level. We finished up before we needed to find a stick to knock it over with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I turned on the seat warmer this morning because it was 65.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I've seen -60F windchill on a training exercise. It froze the liquid in the portapotty and all the poo poo mounded up until it was almost at seat level. We finished up before we needed to find a stick to knock it over with.

The only redeeming factor (if there could be one) to the cold of Fairbanks is that there's almost never any wind. It's just so cold at that point that it doesn't matter anymore either way, though.

e: think about it this way: it's a 100 degree difference between -30F and room temp. You've got a temperature swing of ~140 degrees from going inside to outside on the coldest days of winter.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Casimir Radon posted:

I had to do this in pit toilets when working as a ranger in south western Canada. It was a cone of poo poo we had to break with a shovel. If you were stupid/crazy enough to sit down on the can it would have gone up your rear end.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
Re: All military bases are superfund sites.

I'm sure the VA will think about presumptively service connecting some of the wildly diverse diseases and disabilities that will be caused by the absurdly dangerous chemicals the DoD had seen fit to hand over to 17/18-year-old recruits for the last 30 40 50 years since the beginning of time. Then, maybe the poor bastards can get some excellent good not bad ok, not "third-world bad" healthcare paid for by the government.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The one really weird but truly unique experience the military gave me was experiencing my shyt having a hang time before it hit the Splash Zone in those weird range toilets

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

My favorite part about Wainwright so far is they still haven’t issued me any ECWCS and likely won’t.

But I have the FREE stuff, which is just as good, right?

:negative:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Thump! posted:

My favorite part about Wainwright so far is they still haven’t issued me any ECWCS and likely won’t.

But I have the FREE stuff, which is just as good, right?

:negative:

Wearing waffle tops/bottoms under your standard uniform gets you further than it has any right to.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

If you're into hunting, fishing, offroading, etc: people go there and never leave for those reasons. If you're bothered by small towns, being cold, how remote Fairbanks is, or being near an army base, don't bother. I think the coldest I ever saw there was -75F, "summer" lasts all of 10 weeks, the sun barely rises in the winter (~3.5 hrs of sunlight on winter solstice) and doesn't go away in the summer (twilight is the best you get), the roads get done with gravel instead of salt (it's too cold for salt to work its magic) so your windshield will have to be replaced every year, driving on ice/snow-pack is fairly weird at first, sometimes its gets so cold the fog itself freezes, etc. People were never meant to live so far north, so of course the army put a loving base there.

thanks

not caring here posted:

-75 you gotta be out of your loving mind

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
All of us stationed in Anchorage felt sorry for the poor bastards up at Wainwright. Coldest I ever saw was -20 with the windchill, and everyone came in to work not saying "drat it's cold", but saying "thank god we're not at Wainwright."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Icon Of Sin posted:

Wearing waffle tops/bottoms under your standard uniform gets you further than it has any right to.

Is everyone else wearing waffles? THEN NEITHER ARE YOU, SHITBAG!!!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We wear waffle tops around the office instead of our blouses in the winter. Nice workaround to that dumb poo poo about how you have to wear a blouse under the fleece. Also I wear merino long underwear because it's better than any of the issue poo poo. If we're in the field I'll wear the top too.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Dear army plz make a military base for me on an island in the Caribbean

Name it JLB DD214/SMDFTB

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

VI or PR ARNG?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
They built the bases in Hawaii downwind of active volcanos. I can't wait to see how they gently caress up Caribbean bases.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

MurderBot posted:

Name it JLB DD214/SMDFTB

Should have joined the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

-20 in Chicago was bad enough.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Some people must like temps like that, I applied for a couple jobs at Poker Flat after college but didn't get any offers.

Upstate NY is decent enough for cold, think the coldest it got last winter was -15 which wasn't too bad. One of my friends from work wants me to go with him skiing on Mt. Washington in February, if I do that I'll know more about my tolerance for cold (or become material for this thread).

Edit: the wind chill got down to -40 once at USAFA while I was there, which kind of blew.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
https://twitter.com/cdicksteindc/status/925847287816998912

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Soulex posted:

Should have joined the Navy

Yeah, NAS Key West is literally on an island in the Carribean, so...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, NAS Key West is literally on an island in the Carribean, so...

Gulf of Mexico. The Caribbean is south of Cuba so technically the only way you can get a Caribbean station is Guantanamo Bay. Lol.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

LostCosmonaut posted:

Some people must like temps like that, I applied for a couple jobs at Poker Flat after college but didn't get any offers.

Upstate NY is decent enough for cold, think the coldest it got last winter was -15 which wasn't too bad. One of my friends from work wants me to go with him skiing on Mt. Washington in February, if I do that I'll know more about my tolerance for cold (or become material for this thread).

Edit: the wind chill got down to -40 once at USAFA while I was there, which kind of blew.

TBH 10 degrees to probably -20 doesn't feel all that different, layer right and you can walk around feeling completely comfortable as long as it's calm; it's the wind that is murder at those temps.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Stultus Maximus posted:

Gulf of Mexico. The Caribbean is south of Cuba so technically the only way you can get a Caribbean station is Guantanamo Bay. Lol.

Well, parts of it are probably in the Caribbean after Irma, at least.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LostCosmonaut posted:

I enjoy it. Sucks getting a car to actually run in those temperatures, but I enjoy it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Faster Blaster posted:

Re: All military bases are superfund sites.

I'm sure the VA will think about presumptively service connecting some of the wildly diverse diseases and disabilities that will be caused by the absurdly dangerous chemicals the DoD had seen fit to hand over to 17/18-year-old recruits for the last 30 40 50 years since the beginning of time. Then, maybe the poor bastards can get some excellent good not bad ok, not "third-world bad" healthcare paid for by the government.

This is sarcasm, right? Because no. They absolutely will not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MurderBot posted:

Name it JLB DD214/SMDFTB

There's a USAF FOL at Curacao. Home of my worst deployment, if that tells you how the AF can ruin anything.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

DoktorLoken posted:

TBH 10 degrees to probably -20 doesn't feel all that different, layer right and you can walk around feeling completely comfortable as long as it's calm; it's the wind that is murder at those temps.

It really doesn't. At a certain point it's just miserable to be outside whether it's 5 or -30. Layers help a lot, but feeling the inside of your nose freeze and hearing it crackle if you flex your nostrils isn't fun.

Also get hosed if you wear glasses. Balaclavas are super warm and awesome but my glasses would always fog up and then freeze unless I left my nose outside the warmth.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Guys the national guard let me serve my country as a citizen soulja boi plz don't be negative tyvm

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aranan posted:

It really doesn't. At a certain point it's just miserable to be outside whether it's 5 or -30. Layers help a lot, but feeling the inside of your nose freeze and hearing it crackle if you flex your nostrils isn't fun.

Also get hosed if you wear glasses. Balaclavas are super warm and awesome but my glasses would always fog up and then freeze unless I left my nose outside the warmth.

What up, balaclava+glasses pal? :smith::hf::smith:

I've found that breathing through the mouth helps, although that leads to other problems. Someone should market winter-grade no-fog glasses.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What up, balaclava+glasses pal? :smith::hf::smith:

I've found that breathing through the mouth helps, although that leads to other problems. Someone should market winter-grade no-fog glasses.

I've used Rain-x on my prescription safety glasses before with excellent results. Apparently you're not supposed to use it on plastics but I've never had a problem.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Coldest I've been out in for extended periods of time was -14F , -70 with wind chill, and that was some serious Jack London To Build A Fire type poo poo without the proper equipment.

Looking back my boy scout troop was loving insane.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Luckily I don't have to do stupid poo poo like motorpool Mondays out in good awful weather anymore, so it doesn't matter for me.

I've always said there's a big difference between living somewhere with lovely weather and Armying somewhere with lovely weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Snow gets good under 20 but under 10 I start to get a little cold on the lift.

Had to ride the spreaders off a ship in Alaska to get to the dock since the tide is so extreme there. Think I only had a sweater and some jeans on in whatever - temp it was.