Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have never understood how Acronis makes money with those free-after-rebate deals.

Is Acronis doing the thing where they datamine the crap out of the things they're doing file operations on? Is that it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Acronis was $50 without any discounts, but so far it has saved me way more than $50 worth of time. No problems at all. I guess it's also better than crashplan for offline backups, since it does full images (or inceremental or whatever you want) which you can just restore back. Crashplan is more for those "oh poo poo my house burned" situations.

I have Reflect, which also does imaging and backups.

Thought Crashplan, um, crashed for consumer backups. Deadline is October 23rd, 2018 on that one, unless you're willing to pay the more outrageous prices they want to charge. Apparently they are offering a big discount to at least current home users, see below!

redeyes posted:

The 2016 and 2017 versions were not great. 2018 seems a bit better. My favorite version is 2014 actually but it will not work with NVMe drives.

I'm seeing FAR deals for it all the time so I may as well give it a try after I get around to remembering why I've avoided it like the plague for so long. I want to say it was something like I saw a lot of reports of trouble actually restoring from Acronis' backups. What has your experience been like restoring from their backups?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have never understood how Acronis makes money with those free-after-rebate deals.

Is Acronis doing the thing where they datamine the crap out of the things they're doing file operations on? Is that it?

Generally, companies that do that make money from the resulting word-of-mouth advertising, or charging people to upgrade or whatever. Some (usually bad AV/security stuff) only give you a limited-time license to even further force that.

And of course there are people who forget to send in the rebates, screw up the rebate form/submission, etc.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 1, 2017

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

astral posted:

I have Reflect, which also does imaging and backups.

Thought Crashplan, um, crashed for consumer backups. Deadline is October 23rd, 2018 on that one, unless you're willing to pay the more outrageous prices they want to charge.

They're offering a big discount for the first year of Crashplan Business, at least to current Home users. I signed up since my Home plan runs until June 2018, that means I have until June of 2019 to find a replacement before I'd have to pay a higher rate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

They're offering a big discount for the first year of Crashplan Business, at least to current Home users. I signed up since my Home plan runs until June 2018, that means I have until June of 2019 to find a replacement before I'd have to pay a higher rate.

Glad to hear they offered a little more time!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm on the same deal. I was too lazy to think about it for now, maybe in 2019 I'll have to look how things are. I hate backup so I just want to get it out of the way.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Huh, maybe one of these days I'll take Acronis up on one of those free-after-rebate deals.

To offer another perspective, I think Acronis is garbage. I've tried it on and off several times over the years with mediocre results at best. When you're dealing with image/backup restoration software it should be pretty close to bullet proof instead of "ehh works once in awhile".

Macrium is much more reliable for me and I use Linux-based recovery tools for anything it can't do, those little bootable USB collections are great.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Gunslinger posted:

To offer another perspective, I think Acronis is garbage. I've tried it on and off several times over the years with mediocre results at best. When you're dealing with image/backup restoration software it should be pretty close to bullet proof instead of "ehh works once in awhile".

Macrium is much more reliable for me and I use Linux-based recovery tools for anything it can't do, those little bootable USB collections are great.

I think this was the kinda experience that seemed common enough for me to have been avoiding it.

Oh, that makes me think of another benefit they're getting from these free-after-rebate deals: inflated sales/user counts.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Also, lots of people don't remember or care to send off their rebates.

Or said rebates get lost or misprocessed, and the person never follows up.

Might be that Acronis makes most of its cash from the Enterprise market.

Etc.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

Macrium has failed to restore Windows 10 UEFI partitions for me for some unknown reason. I have never had Acronis fail to restore a backup in something like 10 years. Matter of fact, the last time i imaged a SATA SSD to upgrade to an Intel 750 NVMe drive, it wouldn't boot after. I ended up having to run Windows 10's boot/fixer thing and it did get it working. Honestly I'd be cool trying something other than both of those programs.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Honestly I'd be cool trying something other than both of those programs.

I noticed Veeam's free endpoint backup which I've been a fan of (used to use that before Reflect) had a big 2.0 update (now called Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows) since the last time I used it; haven't had a chance to drill down into the new features too deeply though but I did see source-side encryption mentioned, which sounds great.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

redeyes posted:

Macrium has failed to restore Windows 10 UEFI partitions for me for some unknown reason. I have never had Acronis fail to restore a backup in something like 10 years. Matter of fact, the last time i imaged a SATA SSD to upgrade to an Intel 750 NVMe drive, it wouldn't boot after. I ended up having to run Windows 10's boot/fixer thing and it did get it working. Honestly I'd be cool trying something other than both of those programs.

FYI, the Reflect flash drive version has a checkbox to automatically "fix Windows boot problems" after reimaging the drive, and you can also trigger the same fix using a file menu option.

Whatever imaging software you use, it lets you seize upon the 1 thing about Windows 10 I truly love: that digital entitlements activate Win 10 automatically after you image a system, so all I have to do nowadays to fix a busted system at work is flash my image and change the computer name. So much nicer than having to worry about product keys.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I havent touched consumer-level windows computers in like 5 years so please bear with me.

My girlfriend has a Dell 13" laptop that is dogshit slow because it has a 5400RPM drive in it. there is a ton of disk read and writes happening all the time and I suspect its some bullshit Dell software but I also dont want to strip it bare of all the Dell stuff as she may need it at times.

If I put an SSD in and install a vanilla copy of windows 10, will it still complain about product keys not matching the version of the OS I have installed ala the OEM/retail versions of windows 7?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

bobfather posted:

Might be that Acronis makes most of its cash from the Enterprise market.

This is it, they have things like SnapDeploy that you license for 500 or 5000 computers at a time. True Image Home can be subsidized to build mindshare for the company.

I've been using True Image for 10 years (before that, Norton Ghost and PowerQuest) and it has always worked perfect, but I've never used the desktop version, I just do the thing where you use it to build a USB drive and boot with that. That makes sure the drive isn't in use at all so there's no way to mess that up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

I havent touched consumer-level windows computers in like 5 years so please bear with me.

My girlfriend has a Dell 13" laptop that is dogshit slow because it has a 5400RPM drive in it. there is a ton of disk read and writes happening all the time and I suspect its some bullshit Dell software but I also dont want to strip it bare of all the Dell stuff as she may need it at times.

If I put an SSD in and install a vanilla copy of windows 10, will it still complain about product keys not matching the version of the OS I have installed ala the OEM/retail versions of windows 7?

Is the entire Win 7 key legible on the laptop? If so you can just punch that in to Windows 10 to register it.

If not, you'd want to buy a cheap USB caddy for the hard drive https://www.amazon.com/Anker-inch-External-Enclosure-Case/dp/B00H98AXOE

Then do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 on the 5400rpm drive, it will come back up as activated Windows 10, then do a factory reset so it wiped the activated Win 10 to a fresh copy with no Dell poo poo, then take the drive out and put it in a caddy, put the SSD in the laptop, boot the PC from the USB caddy, download and install a migration program (if you bought a Samsung SSD for instance, they have a free drive-copy program on their site) and copy the 5400 to the SSD and it'll remain activated.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's even easier than that.

1) Upgrade to Windows 10.
2) Make install media using the tool.
3) Take the old drive out, put the new drive in.
4) Fresh-install Win10.
5) Optionally copy files from old drive over.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Is the entire Win 7 key legible on the laptop? If so you can just punch that in to Windows 10 to register it.

If not, you'd want to buy a cheap USB caddy for the hard drive https://www.amazon.com/Anker-inch-External-Enclosure-Case/dp/B00H98AXOE

Then do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 on the 5400rpm drive, it will come back up as activated Windows 10, then do a factory reset so it wiped the activated Win 10 to a fresh copy with no Dell poo poo, then take the drive out and put it in a caddy, put the SSD in the laptop, boot the PC from the USB caddy, download and install a migration program (if you bought a Samsung SSD for instance, they have a free drive-copy program on their site) and copy the 5400 to the SSD and it'll remain activated.

it has windows 10 on it already, I just remember in my PC janitor days that reinstalling windows from a retail Disc and using the Dell/HP/etc product key didnt work, because the support and warranty of the software was the responsibility of the laptop manufacturer and not microsoft, or something to that effect.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

That seems like a very roundabout way of wiping. If you upgrade to 10, then replace the drive, then do a fresh install, it will pick up the activation. You only need a caddy if you're migrating the install.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Laserface posted:

it has windows 10 on it already, I just remember in my PC janitor days that reinstalling windows from a retail Disc and using the Dell/HP/etc product key didnt work, because the support and warranty of the software was the responsibility of the laptop manufacturer and not microsoft, or something to that effect.

Oh in that case you're set for life. That computer is permanently bestowed with windows 10 home. (Or whatever is on it right now) The original key is dust in the wind.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Laserface posted:

My disk acticity was hitting 100% (task manager) on both my work and home win10 PC's, havn't found a solid solution but since recent update and a refresh it has ceased

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

FYI, the Reflect flash drive version has a checkbox to automatically "fix Windows boot problems" after reimaging the drive, and you can also trigger the same fix using a file menu option.

Whatever imaging software you use, it lets you seize upon the 1 thing about Windows 10 I truly love: that digital entitlements activate Win 10 automatically after you image a system, so all I have to do nowadays to fix a busted system at work is flash my image and change the computer name. So much nicer than having to worry about product keys.

Fuckin'a. OK, Maybe I missed that checkbox. I LOVE the digital entitlement stuff. It was a loving pain in the rear end to reload windows on older systems where people inevitably rubbed the product sticker off. I actually ended up giving away hundreds of Windows licenses over years because its better to just fix the computer and send the customer on their way with a working box. Trying to explain how licenses work to an end user is not happening and people just don't care.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

djssniper posted:

My disk acticity was hitting 100% (task manager) on both my work and home win10 PC's, havn't found a solid solution but since recent update and a refresh it has ceased

I'd guess Windows Defender going bonkers. Windows 10 is a loving pig of an OS and is FAR slower than 7 on the same hardware. Yeah it may use less overall memory but the I/O load is 100x worse.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Windows 10 totally hosed my wife’s laptop even after a fresh install. I think I ended up disabling hibernation to fix it. Who knows, I tried so many things. I should probably chuck an SSD in there as well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

well I used Mini Partition Tool to resize then migrate the partition (going from 1TB to 500GB) and it has a nifty little GUI you can run within windows that takes care of the reboot, copying and creating of partitions etc.

computer went from 3min+ boot time (I stopped the timer at 3.14min when it was still sitting at 100% disk doing absolutely nothing on the desktop) to booting up in 30 seconds and zero disk usage.

reading some more articles it appears there is a bug with some ACHI/PCIe controllers and windows 10 that cause the OS to continually reset the controller which then causes a lock up of the interface. this is what I was seeing on her machine but her machine has different drivers and componentts.

anyway, its fixed now, its super fast (as fast as I expected anyway, i have the same in my iMac), she will be happy.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dylan16807 posted:

Oh in that case you're set for life. That computer is permanently bestowed with windows 10 home. (Or whatever is on it right now) The original key is dust in the wind.

Yeah CD keys are now like floppy disks. Also never use the manufacturer recovery option, always make your own with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool (and refresh it every so often, like when new major updates are released). When things go to hell and you want to make things like new, make it even better than new and cut out the factory bloatware using this method. Another reason you might wanna look on the MS store when you are looking for a laptop, buy Signature Edition when you can. Not always a lot of deals there but sometimes there are great ones. Last christmas my friend was looking for laptops for his kids and these Dells with 17" 1080p touch screens, i5/8gb/1tb were 499, regular 949 (CDN).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

redeyes posted:

Windows 10 is a loving pig of an OS and is FAR slower than 7 on the same hardware. Yeah it may use less overall memory but the I/O load is 100x worse.

This is entirely horseshit.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Ok what the gently caress, after I reboot all the previously open programs restart automatically?! Is this some lovely win10 feature? :suicide:

Like normally you put programs you want to start automatically to startup folder or something...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ihmemies posted:

Ok what the gently caress, after I reboot all the previously open programs restart automatically?! Is this some lovely win10 feature? :suicide:

Like normally you put programs you want to start automatically to startup folder or something...

Sometimes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Ihmemies posted:

MacOS has been doing this for a while on OS upgrades and such. It takes you a second to even realize that the machine rebooted, it puts everything back just like it was.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

it's an option

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

This is entirely horseshit.

My experience says otherwise. Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

redeyes posted:

My experience says otherwise. Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

Works fine here, last update seems to have sorted a lot of stuff out

Edit, doing a reset afterwards helps a shitload if you've just updated from 7/8

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Your experience is certified crap as these threads have long shown.

Everything is terrible on a 5400 rpm drive and people only put up with back in the day because they didn't know better. 7's a dog on 5400, so's Vista, so's XP, so's Windows 98. Windows 10 is usually a slight improvement though, because it has slightly better caching to handle slow drives.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

redeyes posted:

5400 RPM system drives are horrible no matter what. That's like saying Windows 10 is bad with 2GB of RAM. It may be true but WHO loving CARES?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

astral posted:

it's an option

Which is apparently on by default. I have to find out.. it's somewhere hidden in these multiple control panels windows 10 has.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Which is apparently on by default. I have to find out.. it's somewhere hidden in these multiple control panels windows 10 has.

You know what, I just looked into this more closely and I must have been mis-remembering because I can't find any info that would suggest there's an option for this. Sorry about that.

That is really terrible; workarounds I saw included running shutdown.exe yourself or alt+f4 to shutdown.

Is the shutdown from the win+x menu/right-clicking-start button affected?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for a cheap SD and/or micro-sd reader that's plug-and-play for W10...Anker still the go-to?
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

Why are you such a doorknob?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

redeyes posted:

Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

But I don't want to :(

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

Go ahead and load up 10 on a 5400 spinner and let me know how it works out.

hello, are you from the past??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

fishmech posted:

Everything is terrible on a 5400 rpm drive and people only put up with back in the day because they didn't know better. 7's a dog on 5400, so's Vista, so's XP, so's Windows 98. Windows 10 is usually a slight improvement though, because it has slightly better caching to handle slow drives.

This. My father's 27" i7 iMac is absolutely crippled by its HDD. 4+ minute boot times and constant chugging, so I'm upgrading it to an SSD later this month. SSD's really are just required for any modern OS, this isn't specific to Windows at all.