Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Chloe Grace Moretz was the last overly sexualized child star I can recall, I think she turned out alright. That one legendary creepshot not withstanding.

I was gonna say Ellen Page, but that was probably just Hard Candy, I don't actually remember much media frenzy like the Chloe Moretz stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've been way behind on this thread for ages but just chiming in to say that the current seasons of Nathan For You, Vice Principals, Broad City, Mr. Robot and The Good Place are all loving killing it.

This is one of the strongest years of TV in a long time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seems like I'm watching less TV but said TV is of much higher quality.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Looten Plunder posted:

I've been way behind on this thread for ages but just chiming in to say that the current seasons of Nathan For You, Vice Principals, Broad City, Mr. Robot and The Good Place are all loving killing it.

This is one of the strongest years of TV in a long time.

And Teachers comes back next week.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mr. Robot had a million think pieces about it in season 1 and now it's like the show doesn't exist. Nobody in the media seems to care about it at all, regardless of the actual quality of the show.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Looten Plunder posted:

I was gonna say Ellen Page, but that was probably just Hard Candy, I don't actually remember much media frenzy like the Chloe Moretz stuff.

Ellen Page was already in her twenties when she was playing teens in Hollywood movies, fwiw. And her actual teen roles in Canada weren't sexy or anything.

e: 18 in hard candy tho, thought she was already 20. ffs that was 2005????

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's because S1 was mostly plot-driven and "figuring out what's going on" driven. Then S2 turned sharply into pure character poo poo, which turned away a lot of the "doing hacking missions" and "being like fight club" fans. It also kept getting weirder. These are all good things, from my perspective, but harder to write accessible "thinkpieces" about.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Mr. Robot had a million think pieces about it in season 1 and now it's like the show doesn't exist. Nobody in the media seems to care about it at all, regardless of the actual quality of the show.

Josh Wiggler and Antonio Mazzaro do a great job on their Post Show Recaps podcast. Josh has access to one of the writers that he does a deep dive with every week and there are still a ton of cool observations they make. For example, the amount of The Shining homages in the last episode was incredible.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L7GsGc5adk

Holy poo poo, he is amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Snak posted:

That's because S1 was mostly plot-driven and "figuring out what's going on" driven. Then S2 turned sharply into pure character poo poo, which turned away a lot of the "doing hacking missions" and "being like fight club" fans. It also kept getting weirder. These are all good things, from my perspective, but harder to write accessible "thinkpieces" about.

The ending of season 1 really wrote them into a massive corner that by necessity would change a lot of what would come after, yeah. I love the show, and think the show's highs are at least as high as in the first season now, but I also think it's generally shakier and can feel like character motivations are opaque or even arbitrary at times. I'm in for the long haul, but I don't blame anyone looking for something more grounded.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

That and there are just creepy perverts who have always and will always be gross creeps about celebrity teenage girls. And some of them probably work at Disney and in the pop music industry.

I find myself remembering with a deep inward shudder, the "countdown til the Olsen Twins are legal" websites of internet yesteryear.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fox is bringing back '24'......as a legal drama. Lame.

http://deadline.com/2017/11/24-series-comeback-female-lead-fox-franchise-1202199024/

I forced myself to watch 24: Legacy but didn't end up finishing it. It was so much worse than even the worst season of original '24'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Didn't 24 drop the "this takes place in 24 hours" conceit after the second season?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

precision posted:

Didn't 24 drop the "this takes place in 24 hours" conceit after the second season?
Only 24: Legacy did because they only had 12 episodes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Only 24: Legacy did because they only had 12 episodes.

And they didn't make it 12 two-hour episodes? Come on people!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/24-series-comeback-female-lead-fox-franchise-1202199024/

I forced myself to watch 24: Legacy but didn't end up finishing it. It was so much worse than even the worst season of original '24'.

What would make a good 24 re-branding would be a 24 about a major natural or ecological disaster and the chaos and insanity that goes down in the initial response. Basically Fukushima but set at a US facility or a major hurricane wrecking a city.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

pentyne posted:

What would make a good 24 re-branding would be a 24 about a major natural or ecological disaster and the chaos and insanity that goes down in the initial response. Basically Fukushima but set at a US facility or a major hurricane wrecking a city.
It still makes me laugh that in one season of '24' a nuke went off in an LA suburb and it was only a minor inconvenience

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

How could they possibly think this was a good idea? Did 24 Legacy even get good ratings? It was a loving garbage show that wasn't anywhere near as entertaining as the original.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only reason they aren't making more Legacy is because Corey Hawkins is off doing a play or something like that and they didn't know when he would be available again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Mr Robot, the commercial for next week's episode says that it will be completely commercial free and uninterrupted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of Mr Robot, the commercial for next week's episode says that it will be completely commercial free and uninterrupted.

I hope that means it has fake commercials in it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I caught up with S3 of Mr Robot and I really hope that all the hints they're dropping about time/dimensional travel and the LHC is just a red herring/honeypot after the twists in S1 and S2 were guessed so handily so quickly, because otherwise this show is going to be an implosion on par with True Detective or Homeland.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snak posted:

I hope that means it has fake commercials in it.

Probably means more gently caress-words than usual, or maybe some gore or sex beyond what they're usually allowed to show. "Commercial-free and uninterrupted," on a cable show that makes a non-insignificant amount of its budget back from ad buys, is a diplomatic way of saying "no advertisers would touch this with a fifty foot pole."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Probably means more gently caress-words than usual, or maybe some gore or sex beyond what they're usually allowed to show. "Commercial-free and uninterrupted," on a cable show that makes a non-insignificant amount of its budget back from ad buys, is a diplomatic way of saying "no advertisers would touch this with a fifty foot pole."

I like the speculation that it's going to be an entire episode that's one long take.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The only reason they aren't making more Legacy is because Corey Hawkins is off doing a play or something like that and they didn't know when he would be available again.
I'm a bit surprised to hear that was the only reason considering it was not well received and I don't think it got good ratings.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

24 Legacy and Designated Survivor were both massively disappointing. The last Kiefer Sutherland-related thing I really enjoyed was Metal Gear Solid V.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Seems like I'm watching less TV but said TV is of much higher quality.

Yeah, same. Now that I don't have any tv service if any kind, I just keep up with whatever shows I already liked by watching them the next day online, and I occasionally check out shows that get a lot of online hype.

precision posted:

You're thinking of the "events occur in real time" concept. Each episode was still supposed to be an hour, just that they became creative about timing within that hour.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 2, 2017

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I caught up with S3 of Mr Robot and I really hope that all the hints they're dropping about time/dimensional travel and the LHC is just a red herring/honeypot after the twists in S1 and S2 were guessed so handily so quickly, because otherwise this show is going to be an implosion on par with True Detective or Homeland.

I've avoided the thread and everything else on the Internet about this show, can you summarise some of the evidence to this theory?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Looten Plunder posted:

I've avoided the thread and everything else on the Internet about this show, can you summarise some of the evidence to this theory?

Have you watched the show? It's blatant at this point. It's either a massive red herring or true, but as of this season there are lines of dialogue and stuff that directly allude to or support the "theory"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I really need to catch up then. I only saw the first episode of the season. How many are out?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Have you watched the show? It's blatant at this point. It's either a massive red herring or true, but as of this season there are lines of dialogue and stuff that directly allude to or support the "theory"

I just realised there was an episode just now that I haven't seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Ugh, I really need to catch up then. I only saw the first episode of the season. How many are out?

Last night was ep 4.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
K.

I just watched ep 2. It was good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Finally finished up Legion, and yeah that was real satisfying overall; great cast, soundtrack, cinematography, etc. I'm super excited to see what happens with the next season.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just realized what bugs me about the legal proceedings on The Good Wife:

No one ever does redirect examinations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you keep watching the series I'm really looking forward to how you react to a future Kalinda thing. It takes place over a long time and not many people noticed it at first. It's one of the controversial parts of the show so don't look up any articles about The Good Wife if you don't want the spoiler.

If you mean the thing that solidifies near the end of season 2 I guessed it in season 1.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hi, hello, Riverdale is good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lurdiak posted:

If you mean the thing that solidifies near the end of season 2 I guessed it in season 1.

That's around the time thing starts, or doesn't start.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just discovered Big Mouth. I can't believe i missed this, it's way up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

If you're talking about Kalinda being bi, that's not it. I think. Everyone's being very coy.

• Locked thread