Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

Shin Megami Tensei is the adtrw of self-hate fandom

???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm trying to figure that one out.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tae posted:

Shin Megami Tensei is the adtrw of self-hate fandom

(Vanilla p3 is really bad)

Oh wait weren’t all your allies AI controlled in vanilla? Yeah that would suck. I really liked FES though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Getsuya posted:

Oh wait weren’t all your allies AI controlled in vanilla? Yeah that would suck. I really liked FES though.

Your AI is controlled in FES, also. It wasn't until P3P that you can control your allies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To my knowledge it's balanced around that and P3P is really easy as a result. Never played more than about 10 hours of FES myself though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

chumbler posted:

Yeah I'm trying to figure that one out.

truly the dark souls of shin megami tensei posting

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Charles Get-Out posted:

How is Lost Dimension? The reviews make it sound interesting, but the screens look real generic.

The gameplay is fine, if generic, but the gimmick really hurts the story and characters. Because every character can randomly leave your party after a level, none of them are really that well developed or interesting. It has a social link style system, except the person you've been trying to max out might just be the next traitor with no hints whatsoever due to how the mechanic works.

The plot, such as it is, pretty much solely revolves around the protagonist and the antagonist.

Also getting the true ending requires maxing out everyone's loyalty which will take a minimum of two playthroughs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Motto posted:

To my knowledge it's balanced around that and P3P is really easy as a result. Never played more than about 10 hours of FES myself though.

It's "balanced" in a way that your allies are brain dead and when faced with an enemy that has resistance to them they'll actively do nothing. Even more frustrating if an enemy repels or uses a repelling ability they'll attack without hesitation. It makes the final boss an absolute pain in the rear end because it instant-kills anyone who attacks it in between its 12 phases of 5,000hp each. If I didn't have the foresight to play FES on easy to get the phoenix feathers I would've quit the final boss and watched the ending.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Motto posted:

If I recall in my game, this also meant that my MC was the only one doing work. Also whoever the hell had Marin Karin was loving useless because they would use that instead of killing things.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Persona 3 party AI wasn't that bad at all if you udnerstood how to order them around using the AI settings. The issue is that what exactly the AI settings do is really poorly explained.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Charles Get-Out posted:

How is Lost Dimension? The reviews make it sound interesting, but the screens look real generic.

It's a tactics rpg with some interesting ideas that kinda fizzles towards the end of a play through.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The infiltration mission in FF Type 0 has reminded me how jank and broken this game is. You can’t put in bosses that insta-kill things that don’t dodge at the right time in a game with (poorly controlled) AI companions. You can’t further make those bosses puzzle bosses so you’re just rattling through your roster while you try to figure out the gimmick. Also trying to get kill shots give me motion sickness as the camera slams into the tight corridors while trying to track my target.

Also the SO system sucks.

And yet somehow I still claim to enjoy this game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Awful

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Persona 3's party control is actually a really cool idea that I got a lot of enjoyment out of but it was exhausting yeah. You could make a real cool game centered around that concept.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess FFXIII's paradigms are kinda similar in that you're regularly switching partner behavior out of a set list while only manually controlling the lead member.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

I guess FFXIII's paradigms are kinda similar in that you're regularly switching partner behavior out of a set list while only manually controlling the lead member.

I guess mashing A counts as controlling the lead member

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
When I started FF13 I told myself I’d never use the auto-choose function and would put in all the commands myself. That lasted maybe the first hour.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

Persona 3's party control is actually a really cool idea that I got a lot of enjoyment out of but it was exhausting yeah. You could make a real cool game centered around that concept.

they did and it was called last remnant

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I guess mashing A counts as controlling the lead member

it apparently does in every other turn-based final fantasy

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Getsuya posted:

When I started FF13 I told myself I’d never use the auto-choose function and would put in all the commands myself. That lasted maybe the first hour.

Auto-battle starts getting real slow and annoying to play around when you get to the last third of the game, when it decides to actually throw challenge at the player, and you'll pretty much need to do manual inputs when it comes to a bunch of the later missions. Either you're gonna start boosting stats a bunch or things will get much tougher.

It's a tricky thing to balance really. It's a really good, complex, balanced battle system that's fun and fast but hard to get into. Normie casual FF fans are gonna freak out when real-time decision making is actually a thing so you gotta put something in help them out. But when it's too good, half-decent players are gonna turn off their brains (as evidenced by earlier posts here). I'm okay with their solution of making Auto-Battle unoptimal/slow for rankings/speedrunning and basically a requirement for the later missions, even if players can get the wrong impression if they don't explore.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I thought the auto-battle in XIII was pretty good overall. For the most part it does what you would do, and the points where manual input is better are weird edgecases like Sazh's Blitz vs single targets or stuff like buff and debuff priorities. And Sentinel in general but Sentinel was not the best designed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do any jrpgers with real-time systems even have the balls to make combat actually difficult, or at least including a proper difficulty mode? Because there seem to be a running theme with those types of games always being too easy.

I remember playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story like a million years ago and it had pretty neat combat system but man was it way too easy, I ended up dropping it because of that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nier Automata and Ys can be pretty tough, if those count.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Nier Automata and Ys can be pretty tough, if those count.

I'm not sure Nier Automata counts. It's more of a Platinum game, from the gameplay standpoint.

I still haven't tried Ys, maybe I should do that.
Is there any recommended entry point for that series?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

dark souls

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lightning Returns' larger enemies can gently caress you up pretty easily if you're bad at blocking, and some combinations of smaller ones as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nier:A is incredibly RPG, like not even in that "squint hard, Zelda BOTW is rpg."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last time I tried to come up with a reasonable definition of (non-tabletop) RPG touhou ended up counting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jack Trades posted:

Do any jrpgers with real-time systems even have the balls to make combat actually difficult, or at least including a proper difficulty mode? Because there seem to be a running theme with those types of games always being too easy.

I remember playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story like a million years ago and it had pretty neat combat system but man was it way too easy, I ended up dropping it because of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

tales of graces gets pretty hard if you crank it up as high as you can

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Jack Trades posted:

I still haven't tried Ys, maybe I should do that.
Is there any recommended entry point for that series?

play The Oath in Felghana, it rules

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jack Trades posted:

I'm not sure Nier Automata counts. It's more of a Platinum game, from the gameplay standpoint.

I really fail to see how Nier:A doesn't as an RPG with real time combat. It's way way way more RPG than any other platinum game (most of which already have rpg-ish elements if you're using broad terms), almost as much as some other arpgs already.

That said, Kingdom Hearts 2 FM does it pretty well. Critical mode is hard enough for casual players, but mostly straightforward for experienced players with a couple of bumps. Level 1 crit is the true hard mode that is actually difficult enough for experienced players to actually learn the systems, but not super ridiculously tedious like a lot of RPG minimalist challenges tend to be.

I think in general the tales of games almost get it half right. A lot of them are hard but not stupid-hard or tedious in the first half of the game, but then in the second half everything is a damage sponge and they feel more and more like battles of attrition.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ventana posted:

I think in general the tales of games almost get it half right. A lot of them are hard but not stupid-hard or tedious in the first half of the game, but then in the second half everything is a damage sponge and they feel more and more like battles of attrition.

I only played Tales of Berseria but that one wasn't difficult at all.
I was playing on the highest difficulty and during 99% of the fights I was just alternating between mashing auto-combo and extending with Break Soul, with some Mystic Arts for when I somehow ended up with less than 3 souls.

The combat system itself was pretty good though.
They only needed to do something like, cutting the normal damage you do by half while raising the weak spot combo damage, so you'd be forced to actually make custom combos, and also somehow solve the problem with you having infinite souls and being invincible basically all the time.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 2, 2017

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Jack Trades posted:

I was playing on the highest difficulty and during 99% of the fights I was just alternating between mashing auto-combo and extending with Break Soul, with some Mystic Arts for when I somehow ended up with less than 3 souls.

They only needed to do something like, cutting the normal damage you do by half while raising the weak spot combo damage, so you'd be forced to actually make custom combos, and also somehow solve the problem with you having infinite souls and being invincible basically all the time.
ToB was a free fall in Tales difficulty. It's probably one of the easiest in fact? I mean the lead is literally unkillable in combat unless you really whiff.

IDK, to me ToB was a button masher. I still enjoyed it for what it is.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Final Fantasy Type 0!

... in all the worst ways and for all the wrong reasons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Tales of Berseria was intentionally designed to be kind of button mashy and easy, after Zestiria was criticized for being super finnicky and easy to get annhilated in two seconds flat in.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Jack Trades posted:

Rascyc posted:

ToB was a free fall in Tales difficulty. It's probably one of the easiest in fact? I mean the lead is literally unkillable in combat unless you really whiff.

IDK, to me ToB was a button masher. I still enjoyed it for what it is.

Endorph posted:

Tales of Berseria was intentionally designed to be kind of button mashy and easy, after Zestiria was criticized for being super finnicky and easy to get annhilated in two seconds flat in.

Oh okay, haven't played ToB yet, but that works. If it makes the Tales of series more accessible/popular while not being unfun then I'm all for it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

they did and it was called last remnant

They said a real cool game, not a real piece of poo poo game.

Jack Trades posted:

If you aren't really good at a Tales game's combat system and play on the hardest difficulty you will get utterly wrecked. If you are good then fights can just take awhile, especially at the start of the game. Tales of the Abyss on Maniac was hellish when you started out and IIRC it only really got more bearable once you got additional characters like Jade (the best character :allears:).

If you're really good at the combat system you probably know how to infinite combo and/or stunlock everything. ...or you're playing multiplayer in which case you need to turn up the difficulty because 2-4 people going co-op in a Tales game will destroy it even if they don't work together at all.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Evil Fluffy posted:

They said a real cool game, not a real piece of poo poo game.

If you aren't really good at a Tales game's combat system and play on the hardest difficulty you will get utterly wrecked. If you are good then fights can just take awhile, especially at the start of the game. Tales of the Abyss on Maniac was hellish when you started out and IIRC it only really got more bearable once you got additional characters like Jade (the best character :allears:).

If you're really good at the combat system you probably know how to infinite combo and/or stunlock everything. ...or you're playing multiplayer in which case you need to turn up the difficulty because 2-4 people going co-op in a Tales game will destroy it even if they don't work together at all.

Last Remnant is really good. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zore posted:

Last Remnant is really good. :colbert:

i unironically love the unique stat every has that does nothing