Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
iOS 11.1 seems to have fixed most of the poo poo that was crippling my 6 plus. Considering cancelling my iPhone X order now that I've been bumped down to second week of December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got an iPhone 6+ in great shape, no real problems. Use it for everything, particularly taking pictures of my 3yr old. I have course have a fancy camera for special events, but day-to-day, I'm taking pictures of him with the iPhone.

From a little digging around the net, it seems as though the differences between the 6+ rear camera and even the X aren't STUNNINGLY different.

If my main reason to move up would be to improve picture quality, is it even worth it? And to which model? Please keep in mind I'm also one of those luddites who is unreasonably upset the 3.5mm audio jack is gone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iPhone X has OIS on both lenses, and the telephoto is slightly faster
otherwise same as 8+

both sensors are significantly better than 6+ especially in low light

if camera is your only concern, it would be a pretty large upgrade for you to go to an 8+ or X.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I know a lot of you aren’t Gruber fans, but I still like hearing his opinion. Want to go through the looking glass into Apple apologetica? Listen to the latest The Talk Show with special guest Jim Dalrymple.

John: after using the iPhone X it’s obvious how much of a waste of space the forehead and chin bezels are.

Jim: well, actually... that space is necessary to make the iPhone 8 as great as it is! The iPhone 8 is amazing and the bezels allowed apple to use the technology they needed to.

John: ...right...

I used to have The Loop in my RSS feeds but had to drop it because of poo poo like this.

Edit: this episode of the talk show is the fox and friends of tech podcasting.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 2, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fly Ricky posted:

If my main reason to move up would be to improve picture quality, is it even worth it? And to which model? Please keep in mind I'm also one of those luddites who is unreasonably upset the 3.5mm audio jack is gone.
You obviously get a decent bump in IQ on the 8+ or X, though neither are worth their entry cost for the camera alone.
I'd say iOS 12 will for sure practically kill the viability of the 6/+ , so maybe wait a year and get the new hotness.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
That dalrymple dude’s been a technologically geriatric moron for about a decade now, in addition to his being an Apple sycophant.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Etrips posted:

So... if I am not one of the 4 major carriers, am I SOL in trying to get an iPhone X to work with my carrier (Cricket Wireless) until the unlocked versions come out?

Pivo posted:

just pretend you are with VZW their stock should be sim-unlocked

kingcobweb posted:

AT&T phones should work on Cricket. It’s just AT&T prepaid under a different name.
I'm fairly certain Apple won't sell you a carrier phone without a plan. I'm pretty sure you're SOL until they start selling unlocked versions.

(Though I do believe they will sell you a phone with a new plan which you can immediately cancel, I suppose.)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Damnit FedEx let me do onsite pickup for my package I have poo poo to do tomorrow - or let me change the delivery address to my office so my reception can sign for it :argh:

agwho
Aug 25, 2009

Pivo posted:

iPhone X has OIS on both lenses, and the telephoto is slightly faster
otherwise same as 8+

both sensors are significantly better than 6+ especially in low light

if camera is your only concern, it would be a pretty large upgrade for you to go to an 8+ or X.

This is incredibly nerdy, but one more noticeable change is between the 8 and X goes unremarked: the different focal lengths (and so field of views). The iPhone 8 is 56mm equivalent, while the iPhone X is 52mm. It sounds small, but the effect is actually quite pronounced. Oddly enough, this makes the iPhone X’s ‘telephoto’ lens (really, a normal lens) worse for portraiture than the iPhone 8. But ~50mm is actually a wonderful focal length for photography, so I’m jazzed.

See TechCrunch: https://techcrunch.com/2017/10/31/review-the-iphone-x-goes-to-disneyland/

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Best thing about iPhone X is that due to the notch, there’s no option to display the battery percentage. The only way to see your percent is to pull down the control center.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

goddamn do I hope Apple could extend the ability to customise control centre. I really don’t need screen mirroring or that apple music thingy enough for them to constantly take up space

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Biodome posted:

Best thing about iPhone X is that due to the notch, there’s no option to display the battery percentage. The only way to see your percent is to pull down the control center.

:negative:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fly Ricky posted:

I've got an iPhone 6+ in great shape, no real problems. Use it for everything, particularly taking pictures of my 3yr old. I have course have a fancy camera for special events, but day-to-day, I'm taking pictures of him with the iPhone.

From a little digging around the net, it seems as though the differences between the 6+ rear camera and even the X aren't STUNNINGLY different.

Apple still makes noticeable yearly improvements to the camera, so go for it. 8+ has the same rear camera stack as the X as an alternative.

Also while it’s not perfect, you can use one of these dongles that turns your favorite wired headphones into Bluetooth headphones.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

agwho posted:

This is incredibly nerdy, but one more noticeable change is between the 8 and X goes unremarked: the different focal lengths (and so field of views). The iPhone 8 is 56mm equivalent, while the iPhone X is 52mm.

I am a huge photo nerd (I own DSLRs and pay for Lightroom and say 'glass' unironically)
and I had no idea

The X has a 28mm focal length on the 'wide angle' apparently. I'd have preferred 35/85, but 28 and nifty-fifty-ish is also good.

Godzilla07 posted:

8+ has the same rear camera stack as the X as an alternative.

No, not exactly, the telephoto is faster and has OIS on the X.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Or just get AirPods and never look back.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Biodome posted:

this is indeed a baller move but will probably cause the more neurotic among us to bellyache a bit

ulvir posted:

goddamn do I hope Apple could extend the ability to customise control centre. I really don’t need screen mirroring or that apple music thingy enough for them to constantly take up space

you don't use the music controller? that's like the main thing i use

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 2, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fly Ricky posted:

The improvements in camera since the 6+ aren't monumental, but worth an upgrade for in-the-moment child photography -- I'd say to an 8, 8+, or X.

All models since the 7 have OIS on the main wide angle lens, and all models since the 7 capture in a DCI-P3 color space. This is immediately noticeable (at least on the phone's display,) as colors are richer. Low light captures and speed have incrementally improved with each new phone, but to a lesser degree. The 7+ added 2x optical zoom and Portrait Mode via the second telephoto lens, but required generous light for good results.

Starting with the 8, they improved the flash behavior such that the shutter remains open slightly longer, so the foreground of pictures doesn't get blown out (and the background is better lit) resulting in a picture that looks like it was taken with a proper flash instead of an obnoxious LED bulb array. Another change starting with the 8, apparently it shoots in HDR all the time? I don't know much about this as I've had very little hands on time with the 8, but I guess Apple has gotten to the point where they trust HDR that much in any situation, and I've not read anything to suggest it's a bad idea. I'm sure it can be disabled in settings if you're that opposed to it.

The 8+ also adds Portrait Lighting (Beta), which you probably have already heard about -- filters for Portrait Mode. 2x optical zoom and Portrait Mode were further optimized on the 8+, performing better in these regards than the 7+.

With the X, as far as we know, it shares the characteristics of the 8+ camera modules/behaviors, but swaps the 8+'s f/2.8 telephoto lens for a f/2.4 optically stabilized lens. This theoretically results in further improvement to optical zoom and Portrait Mode, especially in poor lighting. Portrait Mode also extends to the 7MP front camera thanks to the IR depth camera buddy, and looks as if it works pretty drat well.

TL;DR -- iPhone 7 captures DCI-P3 color space, making a big difference in color clarity. 7+ adds a second lens for faked bokeh (Portrait Mode) and 2x optical zoom; requires good light. iPhone 8 adds auto HDR and a slow sync flash for less blowouts. iPhone 8+ telephoto effects likely similar to 7+, but adds Portrait Lighting (beta) and better low light performance. iPhone X behaves similarly to iPhone 8+, but adds OIS to a faster telephoto lens for even better low light/high speed performance, and adds Portrait Mode to the selfie camera.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 2, 2017

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm fairly certain Apple won't sell you a carrier phone without a plan. I'm pretty sure you're SOL until they start selling unlocked versions.

(Though I do believe they will sell you a phone with a new plan which you can immediately cancel, I suppose.)

I think they will sell a T-Mobile one without a plan. For instance, when trying to preorder an AT&T phone it asks for account information. But if I choose T-Mobile I can check out. Also looking back when I bought my current 6S+, I bought a T-Mobile (could have sworn it was a AT&T) in the apple store without any account information. So unless something has changed since then...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ah, you might be right on that account. I think I did the same at some point.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

I think they will sell a T-Mobile one without a plan. For instance, when trying to preorder an AT&T phone it asks for account information. But if I choose T-Mobile I can check out. Also looking back when I bought my current 6S+, I bought a T-Mobile (could have sworn it was a AT&T) in the apple store without any account information. So unless something has changed since then...

Just a general FYI the T-Mobile (and ATT) version won’t work on Verizon or Sprint. So it’s good for cricket, but good to be aware of.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

When I bought my 7 Plus, I reserved a Sprint model using the “secret” reservation page for IUP customers. When I got to the store, I told them I didn’t have a Sprint account and I just wanted to pay in full right then, and they didn’t give me any grief about it. Popped in my Cricket SIM and it worked fine.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I know a lot of you aren’t Gruber fans, but I still like hearing his opinion. Want to go through the looking glass into Apple apologetica? Listen to the latest The Talk Show with special guest Jim Dalrymple.

John: after using the iPhone X it’s obvious how much of a waste of space the forehead and chin bezels are.

Jim: well, actually... that space is necessary to make the iPhone 8 as great as it is! The iPhone 8 is amazing and the bezels allowed apple to use the technology they needed to.

John: ...right...

I used to have The Loop in my RSS feeds but had to drop it because of poo poo like this.

Edit: this episode of the talk show is the fox and friends of tech podcasting.

started listening to the talk show shortly after i got an iphone; stopped subjecting myself after the coolness of having A New Thing wore off and the verbal gymnasitcs the guy goes through every episode to justify universally-acknowledged shortcomings as part of apple's grand master plan became just bleedingly obvious. just the worst of apple user stereotypes, distilled and packaged for your convenience

i like atp; if you can get past marco's constant self-owns and quest to waste as much money as possible then john siracusa obsessively complaining about poo poo is generally a joy. i did contemplate deleting it after casey, unchallenged, decided to unironically volunteer greasy incel homunculus ben shapiro's podcast as a vehicle for reasoned debate and diversity of opinion. gently caress off

enojy posted:

The improvements in camera since the 6+ aren't monumental, but worth an upgrade for in-the-moment child photography -- I'd say to an 8, 8+, or X.

All models since the 7 have OIS on the main wide angle lens, and all models since the 7 capture in a DCI-P3 color space. This is immediately noticeable (at least on the phone's display,) as colors are richer. Low light captures and speed have incrementally improved with each new phone, but to a lesser degree. The 7+ added 2x optical zoom and Portrait Mode via the second telephoto lens, but required generous light for good results.

Starting with the 8, they improved the flash behavior such that the shutter remains open slightly longer, so the foreground of pictures doesn't get blown out (and the background is better lit) resulting in a picture that looks like it was taken with a proper flash instead of an obnoxious LED bulb array. Another change starting with the 8, apparently it shoots in HDR all the time? I don't know much about this as I've had very little hands on time with the 8, but I guess Apple has gotten to the point where they trust HDR that much in any situation, and I've not read anything to suggest it's a bad idea. I'm sure it can be disabled in settings if you're that opposed to it.

The 8+ also adds Portrait Lighting (Beta), which you probably have already heard about -- filters for Portrait Mode. 2x optical zoom and Portrait Mode were further optimized on the 8+, performing better in these regards than the 7+.

With the X, as far as we know, it shares the characteristics of the 8+ camera modules/behaviors, but swaps the 8+'s f/2.8 telephoto lens for a f/2.4 optically stabilized lens. This theoretically results in further improvement to optical zoom and Portrait Mode, especially in poor lighting. Portrait Mode also extends to the 7MP front camera thanks to the IR depth camera buddy, and looks as if it works pretty drat well.

TL;DR -- iPhone 7 captures DCI-P3 color space, making a big difference in color clarity. 7+ adds a second lens for faked bokeh (Portrait Mode) and 2x optical zoom; requires good light. iPhone 8 adds auto HDR and a slow sync flash for less blowouts. iPhone 8+ telephoto effects likely similar to 7+, but adds Portrait Lighting (beta) and better low light performance. iPhone X behaves similarly to iPhone 8+, but adds OIS to a faster telephoto lens for even better low light/high speed performance, and adds Portrait Mode to the selfie camera.

also live photos are really loving cool. apart from the fast touch id they're the main thing i miss from my 6s

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MarcusSA posted:

This deal is back if anyone was still interested. They are great at $63.00 and at least the pair I got were band new.

Beats X

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/beats-by-dr-dre-geek-squad-certified-refurbished-beatsx-earphones-black/5732542.p?skuId=5732542

Well I was waiting to buy AirPods but you can't beat the price and I think I'd prefer the IEM style of Bluetooth headphone anyway.

My Jaybird X3's are way too uncomfortable no matter which ear tip and wing configuration I use so I hope these are good.

e: Oh gently caress and I had $60 in rewards from buying an iPad Pro. $3 Bluetooth W1-enabled headphones... deal.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 2, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Generic Monk posted:

also live photos are really loving cool. apart from the fast touch id they're the main thing i miss from my 6s

I forgot about Live Photo! Yea, I imagine those would be pretty rad for a toddler doing toddler thangs.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

Well I was waiting to buy AirPods but you can't beat the price and I think I'd prefer the IEM style of Bluetooth headphone anyway.

My Jaybird X3's are way too uncomfortable no matter which ear tip and wing configuration I use so I hope these are good.

i have them, they're pretty great. sound quality is good for bluetooth headphones and excellent by beats standards and i can count on one hand i've had even the smallest issues with reception. only annoyance design wise (and there's not really any other way they could have done this) is that every action related to pairing and power is invoked by holding a single button down for different lengths of time, which does take a bit of getting used to. airpods seem way more intuitive in that regard, although i think the beats design suits my addled lifestyle better as they hang round your neck and are consequently virtually impossible to lose.

for that price they can't be beat. go for it

enojy posted:

I forgot about Live Photo! Yea, I imagine those would be pretty rad for a toddler doing toddler thangs.

even as a childless prematurely middle aged misanthropic student they got me taking way more photos and the novelty never really wore off; they're so cool! if i had a kid i'd probably have to rent a datacentre just to store them all

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 2, 2017

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jealous Cow posted:

I know a lot of you aren’t Gruber fans, but I still like hearing his opinion.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

started listening to the talk show shortly after i got an iphone; stopped subjecting myself after the coolness of having A New Thing wore off and the verbal gymnasitcs the guy goes through every episode to justify universally-acknowledged shortcomings as part of apple's grand master plan became just bleedingly obvious. just the worst of apple user stereotypes, distilled and packaged for your convenience

i like atp; if you can get past marco's constant self-owns and quest to waste as much money as possible then john siracusa obsessively complaining about poo poo is generally a joy. i did contemplate deleting it after casey, unchallenged, decided to unironically volunteer greasy incel homunculus ben shapiro's podcast as a vehicle for reasoned debate and diversity of opinion. gently caress off

The quality of TTS is wholly dependent on the guest for each show, and the show always feels like it's 30 minutes too long. A few years back I listened to it fairly regularly but I have too many other podcasts to listen to today. I also find Upgrade a pleasant listen; it and ATP are the only two podcasts I regularly listen to from the Appleverse.

enojy posted:

I am obligated to mention Google's Motion Stills app, which enhances Live Photos by stabilizing them and letting you export them as GIFs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Google Motion Stills is so good that it makes Apple look like amateurs. They took an Apple feature and made it like 100% better.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I went to The Talk Show when it was live at WWDC with Craig Federighi and Phil Schiller. It was... Something else.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Duckman2008 posted:

Just a general FYI the T-Mobile (and ATT) version won’t work on Verizon or Sprint. So it’s good for cricket, but good to be aware of.

That's definitely true for the X? I thought they used the Qualcomm chip with CDMA for all the X's in the US; it has fewer SKUs than the iPhone 7 or 8.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

fordan posted:

That's definitely true for the X? I thought they used the Qualcomm chip with CDMA for all the X's in the US; it has fewer SKUs than the iPhone 7 or 8.

Yep, if you get an AT&T or T-Mo X you are getting the lovely one. Made that mistake with the 7.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Google Motion Stills is so good that it makes Apple look like amateurs. They took an Apple feature and made it like 100% better.
Especially with the animations and long shutter effects, it shocks me that Apple didn't do any stabilisation at all with Live Photos and you gotta run it through a third-party app.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Etrips posted:

Is the T-Mobile one locked though? Even paying for an AT&T one, I believe it comes locked and you have to go through the trouble of an unlock request.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

fordan posted:

Well, the iPhone 10 has fewer SKUs because it comes in just one size (no "Plus" version), not because of its modem.

The iPhone 8 and iPhone 10 have the same cellular modems, and the Qualcomm-based versions of the iPhone 8 have already shown to perform better than the Intel-based iPhone 8. Yes, just like the iPhone 7.

iPhone Models with the Qualcomm MDM9655 Snapdragon X16 modem (sold by Verizon and Sprint):

A1865 (iPhone 10)
A1863 (iPhone 8)
A1864 (iPhone 8 Plus)

iPhone Models with the Intel XMM 7480 modem (sold by AT&T and T-Mobile):

A1901 (iPhone 10)
A1905 (iPhone 8)
A1897 (iPhone 8 Plus)

The difference in performance may become mostly apparent in "low signal" situations, such as when you have "2 bars" or less of coverage. With a -100 dBi or weaker connection, the Intel modem (iPhone 8 and iPhone X) will drop speed, drop the connection, and start to consume more battery power to try and keep the connection alive. Having an iPhone with the Qualcomm modem will simply give you a better, more reliable connection (and the better battery life that comes with a better connection).

More info on Qualcomm/Intel iPhone models:
https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/79k7vr/iphone_x_qualcomm_vs_intel_battery_life_real/

Testing of the Intel & Qualcomm modems that the iPhone X uses (testing done with the iPhone 8):
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/28/iphone-8-cellular-bandwidth-tests/

The old iPhone 7 tests, for reference:
http://cellularinsights.com/iphone7/

This all means that even if you have AT&T or T-Mobile (or any of their pre-paid options or use an MNVO that uses their network), the Qualcomm/CDMA/Verizon model of the iPhone 8 or iPhone X might be the better option than getting the Intel-based phone that the provider sells you.

I have AT&T, and I bought a Qualcomm-based iPhone 8.

Xenomorph fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 2, 2017

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My notes app still freezes about 95% of the time when I first open it on 11.1. Irritating.

I ordered a Spigen thin case to start out with. I love my saddle leather on my 7 but I wanted to try something thinner.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

And if you're in Canada or pretty much most of the world, you get the Intel version, not the Qualcomm one

Here's the breakdown: https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-x-models-a1865-a1901-a1902-differences/

i.e. you can't get Qualcomm in Canada

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Is the T-Mobile one locked though? Even paying for an AT&T one, I believe it comes locked and you have to go through the trouble of an unlock request.

T-Mobile hasn't locked phones in awhile, though I suppose that could have changed.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If I bought an American iPhone X could I use it in the EU? They're nearly twice as expensive over here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes

EDIT: Provided it's unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

👀🛫