Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/troyhunt/status/924095418421481474

Quoting:

https://twitter.com/imrichardmorris/status/923980655050002432

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Running Windows 7 at that.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Any Charlotte infosec folks looking for a job?

Our Vulnerability Management team is looking to hire for folks with experience in Configuration Management, Tripwire implementation, and knowledge of NERC CIP (this would be a bonus)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
After using a Mac for a year for real work, there are blessings I founds (Unix shell plus one single place for certs instead of each browser having their own store) but one thing that always seem off is the frequency of password entry for the same store and apps asking for things from the keychain beyond their use.

Every day I will enter my password no less than 20 (not for login ) times. Outlook is the main offender but I am surprised how many times it asks if it wants to remember the password and never does.

Isn't this a super bad risk encouraging the use of weaker passwords ? I use a password of at least 20 characters all across the character set but typing passwords like that repeatedly can be beyond a normal user who just wants to get poo poo done.

The other thing is why does a text editor like sublime require keychain access? I am guessing it's ability to connect to svn or git is the reason but does it need it if no such config is entered?

I use Intellj and Eclipse IDEs for decompile work. Even on Mac they don't need access to git or svn requiring keychain access until, hold on to your asses for this one, I'm actually using git/svn.

Maybe because all this nonsense is because I am running a Mac in a windows network world.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It sounds like it's setup wrong, certain apps might want to install Finder extensions or whatever, but that should be a one time thing, or once per version update, not every time you launch it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

After using a Mac for a year for real work, there are blessings I founds (Unix shell plus one single place for certs instead of each browser having their own store) but one thing that always seem off is the frequency of password entry for the same store and apps asking for things from the keychain beyond their use.

Every day I will enter my password no less than 20 (not for login ) times. Outlook is the main offender but I am surprised how many times it asks if it wants to remember the password and never does.

Isn't this a super bad risk encouraging the use of weaker passwords ? I use a password of at least 20 characters all across the character set but typing passwords like that repeatedly can be beyond a normal user who just wants to get poo poo done.

The other thing is why does a text editor like sublime require keychain access? I am guessing it's ability to connect to svn or git is the reason but does it need it if no such config is entered?

I use Intellj and Eclipse IDEs for decompile work. Even on Mac they don't need access to git or svn requiring keychain access until, hold on to your asses for this one, I'm actually using git/svn.

Maybe because all this nonsense is because I am running a Mac in a windows network world.

Something got set up wrong. Outlook never asks me for my password beyond my initial login to my active directory account.

I don't use sublime myself, but I do use PyCharm, and again other than installation time I've never been asked for a password. Even using GitHub only asked for it as part of the setup in the config.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pretty sure you can adjust how long the keychain remembers your password in the settings for it.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

RFC2324 posted:

pretty sure you can adjust how long the keychain remembers your password in the settings for it.

My password is apparently stored throughout the keychain like herpes. Is there a log feature for keychain that tells me what application/service requested what password?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EVIL Gibson posted:

My password is apparently stored throughout the keychain like herpes. Is there a log feature for keychain that tells me what application/service requested what password?

I'm dumb and posted in the wrong thread

RFC2324 posted:

when I googled it, first hit was this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

Which sure sounds like your issue

google isn't telling me about any log tho. just one question looking for it with no answer

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endless September still hasn't completely given up the ghost? It's going out with a 10.0 on CVSS v3 for CVE-2017-10151 affecting Oracle Identity Manager.

Nevermind, it's not clear that this dates from back in September like I thought. Still, 10.0s don't come around every day.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 2, 2017

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Endless September still hasn't completely given up the ghost? It's going out with a 10.0 on CVSS v3 for CVE-2017-10151 affecting Oracle Identity Manager.

Nevermind, it's not clear that this dates from back in September like I thought. Still, 10.0s don't come around every day.

Fuuuuuckkk. I know a couple places that are hosed.

Basically, Oracle uses this tech for ANYTHING dealing with authentication. They have crammed this into all sorts of grams. Db auth, web auth, two factor, ldap and other types of networks, email, smart cards and other pki. I think the main lure of the tech is if you have a login in one , it can be made to also auth you in anything else without creating new passwords. Permissions to the resources would have to be granted to you but imagine a world where automatically log in as admin to prod with the same creds as you do to log into ldap?

Yah... I could see the risk if they slipped in one tiny thing to, I dunno, allow anyone that had guest access that is managed by OIM to have guest (or worse) access everywhere else.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That sounds like the kind of Fun you get in Dwarf Fortress.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

D. Ebdrup posted:

That sounds like the kind of Fun you get in Dwarf Fortress.

Everything always ends in fire.

...So we're not far off really.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. My company's environment uses a '.corp' domain name for its AD/Windows domain for some godforsaken reason and has no AD CS/PKI/internal CA set up. I'm trying to secure a Windows server application with an SSL certificate. The server will talk to many clients (internally). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to accomplish this? Should I just create a self-signed certificate and push it out via a GPO or something? I have less Windows admin experience than Linux but got saddled with this project because reasons and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish securing it. I know I am bad at my job. Thank you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

my bitter bi rival posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. My company's environment uses a '.corp' domain name for its AD/Windows domain for some godforsaken reason and has no AD CS/PKI/internal CA set up. I'm trying to secure a Windows server application with an SSL certificate. The server will talk to many clients (internally). Does anyone have any suggestions for how to accomplish this? Should I just create a self-signed certificate and push it out via a GPO or something? I have less Windows admin experience than Linux but got saddled with this project because reasons and am trying to figure out the best way to accomplish securing it. I know I am bad at my job. Thank you.
Without an internal CA, you're either going to have to use a self-signed certificate, or pay for one from an external CA. What you should absolutely not do is create one self-signed certificate and push it out to multiple servers.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Without an internal CA, you're either going to have to use a self-signed certificate, or pay for one from an external CA. What you should absolutely not do is create one self-signed certificate and push it out to multiple servers.

i dont think that I can buy the certificate because '.corp' is a high-risk TLD according to ICANN and thus is not available for registration and probably never will be. I would gladly just go that route though. I think using a self-signed one would create issues right? (I'd need to distribute it to every client who needs to contact the server or they'll get cert errors, right?)

This might be opening a huge can of worms but can anyone recommend a resource for setting up an internal CA in windows? I assume I should use AD CS for this but people make it sound like a very scary, delicate process... (eg the comments here: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/06/01/ad-certificate-services.aspx )

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 2, 2017

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

That's pretty much accurate. It can be a pain to stand up a CA inside an already existing environment because lots of authentication will break until you sort out the individual certs.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That's pretty much accurate. It can be a pain to stand up a CA inside an already existing environment because lots of authentication will break until you sort out the individual certs.

I need a beer.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I used to work for a company that used a domain name owned by some other company.

That seems like a really bad decision.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You need a good AD consultant.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Craft beer names are getting weirder

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

Holy poo poo. I think we need to start a company. SA goons could be rich.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

:perfect:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Internet Explorer posted:

Holy poo poo. I think we need to start a company. SA goons could be rich.

ID10T IPA - A 10%er to wash away the dumb
PEBCAK Porter
Tripel DES

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

IP Over IPA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Internet Protocol Ale

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

wolrah posted:

ID10T IPA - A 10%er to wash away the dumb
PEBCAK Porter
Tripel DES

Triple DES could already be one!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DLL Helles

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Error: Too Many Hops

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

syslager

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Domain Name Stout
Transmission Control Pilsner
Read-Ahead Lager
us-1-yeast
Test Dubbel

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Disaster Reinheitsgebot

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Mirrored Porter

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Open Porter

^ wtf?!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Porter seems like the easy one to go with.

Border Gateway Porter

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Figure the brewery name could be Berkeley Suds Distribution?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'd KRACK one of those open for sure

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
...get it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brew the Needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AleDAP.