Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProZocK
Apr 22, 2013
Here, to make up for dicing you, multiple times, have some nice, calm text.
"and it can bring down the source of the FTL inhibitor (which might be a Starbase or even a planet)"

OH MY GOD IM SO EXCITED. Locking the enemy down on a system with a fortress of a planet is going to be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Xae posted:

I'm not sold on the jump drive changes yet, but I'll have to check them out first

It's likely going to be insanely powerful in conjunction with the other changes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Shadowlyger posted:

But in this case, it isn't.

It's not even being forced to use only one FTL type that irks me. It's being forced to use the worst FTL type.

Okay. There’s basically nothing more than can be, or need be said, that hasn’t been said already in the dev diary. They didn’t pick hyperlanes arbitarily. Most people consider the warfare in Stellaris it’s greatest weakpoint, hyperlanes are seen as the most effective way to remedy that. It is a shame you disagree but c’est la vie.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Taear posted:

Why is it that people who're mad on the forums always use loads of elipsis, are really bad at spelling and say "Good Bye"?
Beyond comedy "They're all Serbians" answer.

God, the ellipsis thing bugs the hell out of me. It's always people who type in all lower case and can't string a sentence together to save their life who think that throwing a ton of dots in there will somehow make their lovely grasp of language acceptable.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
November 2, 2017 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the business practices of a single video game company, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced the new plan for FTL in Stellaris tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Paradox Interactive was a company I respected, and their employees were people I looked up to. Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria, and Hearts of Iron were all quality game series that combined historical accuracy with sandbox game worlds. These games may have been cartoony and humorous at times, but deep down they were always realistic and crafted with a level of detail and skill that won appreciation from gamers all across the internet. Stellaris was their newest release, and the internet was in unanimous agreement that it was of unparallelled quality. Following it's long awaited release, Paradox began releasing quality DLC that raised the bar ever higher for Grand Strategy Games.

Then the FTL changes for Cherryh were announced. This was not just an announcement of a DLC feature, it was announcement of Paradox Interactive's suicide. It was a change intended to completely disregard any scientific accuracy, and instead shock the entire world with its lunacy. Paradox Interactive had gone off the deep end and raised the middle finger to everybody who stayed loyal to them. They had announced that they didn't care anymore, that they didn't care for their community, and they were going to go out of their way to sabotage everything they had spent years creating.

The pain I felt from this betrayal has destroyed me on an emotional level, and has deprived me of my primary source of entertainment. No longer can I play Grand Strategy games without remembering the day I ceased mattering to people I devoted myself to. Paradox had not just destroyed me or their company, they had destroyed the one force of stability in the world: Trust.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I would support a super slow non-hyperlanes warp-style option as a mid-game tech, but only if it were so slow that it's easy to divert a fleet to intercept. It should be less a tactical advantage than a strategic work-around.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Captain Oblivious posted:

Okay. There’s basically nothing more than can be, or need be said, that hasn’t been said already in the dev diary. They didn’t pick hyperlanes arbitarily. Most people consider the warfare in Stellaris it’s greatest weakpoint, hyperlanes are seen as the most effective way to remedy that. It is a shame you disagree but c’est la vie.

Yes, they picked hyperlanes because it was the one that fit with Wiz's ~vision~ as opposed to the one that was actually good.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:qq: Why does the man in charge of the game get to make decisions I don't like about the game :qq:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Upon further thinking, if Warp stays in as the Scourge FTL type I'll be cool with never having access to it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

IAmTheRad posted:

There's one thing that has been bothering me.

Hearing 'Gateways' makes me think more of Fredrick Pohl's Heechee saga over someone named Cherryh.

Unless Pohl is more obscure than Cherryh. Or being saved for a future update.

Cherryh has a really famous novel about space stations (Downbelow Station) and that's why it's about her.

quote:

God, the ellipsis thing bugs the hell out of me. It's always people who type in all lower case and can't string a sentence together to save their life who think that throwing a ton of dots in there will somehow make their lovely grasp of language acceptable.
The sort of people who, twenty years ago, would be sending an angry rambling letter into Points of View about how Terry Wogan's irish accent is too common for them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Was that quote about ground combat from a while ago or is that in the context of the 2.0 changes? Because changes to ground combat seem like they'd be definitely in the cards given the introduction of system control via starbases etc.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Wiz, earlier today in the Paradox forums thread, mentioned that ground combat needs work but he doesn't want to just flat out remove it.

No word on when that may be happening though. Likely not this update by the way it was phrased.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I can't tell the difference between the c+p complaining and the actual complaining

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Wiz, earlier today in the Paradox forums thread, mentioned that ground combat needs work but he doesn't want to just flat out remove it.

No word on when that may be happening though. Likely not this update by the way it was phrased.

Gotcha thanks.

I'm cool with them fixing it, I'm sure they could whip it into something a little more interesting.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Gotcha thanks.

I'm cool with them fixing it, I'm sure they could whip it into something a little more interesting.

Even if it's not more interesting, it'd be great if it wasn't a gigantic micro managey pain in the rear end.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

I can't tell the difference between the c+p complaining and the actual complaining

It doesn't matter because neither is the legitimate opinion of the person posting it.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

IAmTheRad posted:

There's one thing that has been bothering me.

Hearing 'Gateways' makes me think more of Fredrick Pohl's Heechee saga over someone named Cherryh.

Unless Pohl is more obscure than Cherryh. Or being saved for a future update.

There weren't actual gateways in those books, though, it was just the name of the station they found?

Besides, Gateway was more about people being psychologically scarred by ftl travel,than the actual mechanics of going to other stars. So yeah, maybe Pohl is a better name for the update.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That paradox forum post about being angry about not getting to roleplay Star Trek is especially hilarious to me because I'm psyched by all these changes because I get to play Deep Space 9 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Basically the best.

I can't wait to open a wormhole into the middle of some sort of horrible death empire on the far side of the galaxy and scramble to build up my starbase in the wormhole system.

In terms of galaxy generation, clusters and colliding galaxies are fantastic ideas they mentioned in the stream, but it sounds like what they really want are the Magellanic Clouds. The Magellanic Clouds are really cool and sound like exactly the type of thing they want to set up in map generation where you end up finding a wormhole out there and it full of monsters or a fallen empire or an endgame crisis or whatever.

Main Paineframe posted:

I just read through the thread with this in mind trying to figure out how many people are actually bothered and I think there have been maybe two instances of people in this thread who legitimately don't like the changes.

I was worried because of how dumb discourse has been, but the actual dev diary has been as close to universally accepted as you could expect.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, reading this thread and the Paradox one in parallel was a bad idea, there are so many duplicate posts I sometimes get confused over which one I was reading -I just tried posting in the Paradox-thread and got surprised when I couldn't, since I wasn't even logged in! :haw:

Joking aside, I like the new changes. With two exceptions: I'm a little bit sad to see wormholes go the way of the dinosaurs, but Wiz' explanations make sense, like them being a dangerous resource hog in end-game stage. (So that's why games I played hyperlanes-/warp-only were so much faster then the ones were I let tons of wormhole-civs spawn. :lol: )

Losing warp is a bit harder to stomach, especially since I just finished writing down notes for a FTL-mod I had planned. Welp! That project will face some changes now.

What I really like is the new jump drive, since I always preferred jump drives to everything else! As they are now, I consider them too overpowered, though: I would have liked to start with a weak-rear end version as additional fourth FTL-choice instead, and invented super-versions of those four instead to replace the old jump drive techs.

Anyway, my plan is now to mod the hell out of the new FTL-systems, not to recreate warp or wormholes (dead is dead), but to recreate good old German Perry-verse FTL! A really weak New Jump Drive, modded to be nearly impossibly slow to move through hyperlanes, would be a good way to implement the hoary old Transition Drive. With debuffs and cooldown dialed up to 11, of course: Travelling via Transition Drive is a harrowing experience, you basically punch a hole into hyperspace, then launch yourself as an energy cloud to the target coordinates, were you fall back into normal space and transform back into normal matter. Jump far enough, and the aftereffects can kill the crew and distort the ship so bad it explodes.

Later on players can unlock more advanced drives, of course. Since I'm poo poo at modding, chances are they'll all just variations of the jump drive, though. I do want to make warpdrive-like FTL, but until the update hits I obviously can't tell if this is actually possible.

Anyway! Out of spite for the warpdrive going away, I'll frankenstein together my own FTL-mod over the next couple weeks. Just that in my half-assed version, wormholes and hyperdrives will be the deleted options! You could consider this my sign-off for old Stellaris. :v:

Edit:

And believe me, I will need this first mod as a practice run, considering even something as dead simple as portrait mods tend to turn into a buggy mess when I'm the one making them.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 2, 2017

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Eiba posted:

That paradox forum post about being angry about not getting to roleplay Star Trek is especially hilarious to me because I'm psyched by all these changes because I get to play Deep Space 9 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I do wonder how the New Horizons mod will handle the FTL changes, actually.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I was worried because of how dumb discourse has been, but the actual dev diary has been as close to universally accepted as you could expect.

It seems to be same set of people repeatedly making the same argument over and over ad nauseum. And also reflexively downvoting anything that isn't just mindless kvetching over the proposed changes. It's kinda amusing that they're so salty over it, I guess but I'm not really feeling much sympathy for them.

We seem to have already gotten the bulk of the best salt copy/pasted anyway. I don't see much reason to stick around.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lum_ posted:

I do wonder how the New Horizons mod will handle the FTL changes, actually.
Set hyperlane connections to maximum and call it warp, probably.

We only really lost wormhole drives (and got much cooler wormholes in the deal) and the ability to have a mishmash of FTL types. If you like how warp played, maximizing hyperlanes should get you a fairly close approximation from the sound of it.

Stellaris warp already didn't work like Star Trek warp, what with the range and having to stop at stars.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eiba posted:

Set hyperlane connections to maximum and call it warp, probably.

We only really lost wormhole drives (and got much cooler wormholes in the deal) and the ability to have a mishmash of FTL types. If you like how warp played, maximizing hyperlanes should get you a fairly close approximation from the sound of it.

Stellaris warp already didn't work like Star Trek warp, what with the range and having to stop at stars.

Are they actually deleting warp though? Is there some reason that it's actually being deleted not just removed as an option you get normally while still existing for mod makers?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I'm not sure why people think they'll remove the Warp code from the game. Why would they? Parts of it are still going to be in use by jump drives, and who knows what else.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
It's more likely that it will get broken by accident and they won't bother to fix it because it's not a supported feature.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Are they actually deleting warp though? Is there some reason that it's actually being deleted not just removed as an option you get normally while still existing for mod makers?
Distance calculations. :shrug:

Borders and sensors and distance are all being calculated by hyperlane routes now. I mean I'm no programmer so I don't know if they'd leave a wonky broken warp system in for modders to resuscitate, but it seems like there'd be a lot of issues interacting with other changes.

And it seems pointless when you get the same effect from maximum hyperlanes...

For the record I have no investment in this and think it'd be cool if they could accommodate modders. It just seems like it'd be difficult.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The changes sound real good honestly, the only nitpick I have is that sensor range being based on number of jumps is probably going to be difficult to intuit based on the map, and I don't entirely feel like there's a huge need for that change? It'd be kind of interesting for sensors to be the thing that takes into account actual as-the-crow-flies distances when almost everything else works per jump.

I hope that the changes overall just really slow down the game. If you can only explore with science ships and you have to cross systems to do it, I really hope for a much, much slower game. I like slow games and I always feel like once you get going you can burn through stellaris really fast.

I also really like that you can shut the door on your bit of the gate network, that's a nice idea.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Soup du Jour posted:

Literally my only complaint is that there's no intra-empire wormhole connectors, but other than that this DD was exactly what I was looking for! Can't wait to check out the stream.

I think if you're playing tough enough then all connections will end up intra-empire

I'm pretty excited to see how these islands and everything work out, it's gonna be fun. How quickly could you beeline wormholes now, I wonder?

RIP wormhole surfers of the galaxy, I will miss you

canepazzo posted:

https://go.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Wiz dropping truth bombs.

First banger: only science ships can enter unexplored systems.

gently caress, 7 stack science ship megablob technique is going to be even more powerful now

Baronjutter posted:

So if "destroying" a starbase occupies a system does that mean ground combat is gone? I like the idea of troops but I hate the current troop/invasion system.
Something like an abstracted manpower pool of ground troops that you need to spend to occupy territory in a war would be a great way to prevent total steam-roller victories. The enemy fleet is shattered but as a little 4 planet "tall" empire that hasn't really built up a huge army you just can't justify the costs to occupy the entire 10 system enemy empire.

My only concern with jump drives is that they sound awesome as a player and allow for some creative strategies, but will the AI be able to figure them out? To think up sneaky strategies that take good advantage of the jump drive's abilities plus downside?

rip my endless scourge of machine legions and pissed off godzillas

imweasel09 posted:

Wiz please let me have a special project to recreate the movie rogue one so I can destroy the enemy space fort with a single strike craft.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I sure as hell hope Gateways aren't gated by Mega-Engineering or something. In general it seems like between all the mobility changes and the fleet caps, science-first is going to be the new meta.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I do wonder if these changes will apply to the Spaceborne aliens. I mean the Tiyanki definately do not follow hyperlanes. Amoeba do not either, even in games where it's modded for Hyperlane only.

I mean if the entire game is changing to Hyperlane only, will the legacy support exist for the Spaceborne aliens, except changing it so they can't just go north on the galaxy map from leaving on the east side for example.

Also, for the FTL interdictor changes, a way to have made it work is that if a ship is in warp, it snags them. If they are in a hyperlane route, it can't snag those until they enter the system. If a wormhole is trying to cross a barrier, the interdictor instead snags the wormhole to make it open in that system. That's just my two cents on the interdictors pre-seeing how the rework might work.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The fact that only science ships can enter unexplored systems is actually a compelling reason to trade star charts with other empires. You'll lose out on anomalies as usual, but you'll gain strategic maneuverability, so it's actually a worthwhile trade now.

And yeah, I really hope that Warp stays for some of the spaceborne aliens and the Scourge. It'll make dealing with them more interesting.

IAmTheRad posted:

Also, for the FTL interdictor changes, a way to have made it work is that if a ship is in warp, it snags them. If they are in a hyperlane route, it can't snag those until they enter the system. If a wormhole is trying to cross a barrier, the interdictor instead snags the wormhole to make it open in that system. That's just my two cents on the interdictors pre-seeing how the rework might work.

I understand the issue they had with wormhole interdiction, since wormholes don't actually cross that space at all, it's done in a separate dimension or whatever. You could swing it with "any wormholes generated in this inhibitor's sphere of influence instead generate over the inhibitor," but honestly, removing them as a player FTL option was probably the better call, and I say this as a person who favors wormholes.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 2, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's crazy that we're basically getting Stellaris 2 as a DLC instead of a new game.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I guess getting at least that first sensor upgrade is pretty drat important now. Particularly If you can get it as one of your first options.

Losing science ships early is a nasty influence hit which is why people did the whole "split the first 3 corvettes and send them to die" thing.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Eiba posted:

Distance calculations. :shrug:

Borders and sensors and distance are all being calculated by hyperlane routes now. I mean I'm no programmer so I don't know if they'd leave a wonky broken warp system in for modders to resuscitate, but it seems like there'd be a lot of issues interacting with other changes.

And it seems pointless when you get the same effect from maximum hyperlanes...

For the record I have no investment in this and think it'd be cool if they could accommodate modders. It just seems like it'd be difficult.

They still need all that stuff in there for jump drives. I see no reason you wouldn't be able to mod in warp since jump drives are still that but faster. There's probably a way to fudge wormhole drives with natural wormholes being a thing but that's me talking out of my rear end.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

binge crotching posted:

You and me both.

I still want my Majesty/Stellaris crossover dlc though

I would play the absolute poo poo out of sci-fi Majesty.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Baronjutter posted:

It's crazy that we're basically getting Stellaris 2 as a DLC instead of a new game.

Not even a DLC, a free patch? I haven't heard any of these features tagged as paid.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

All of these features are explicitly free so far, yeah.

Stellaris 2.0 will be free and it's great.

PittTheElder posted:

I sure as hell hope Gateways aren't gated by Mega-Engineering or something. In general it seems like between all the mobility changes and the fleet caps, science-first is going to be the new meta.
They said it won't be gated by Utopia content, so you won't need mega-engineering at least.

imweasel09 posted:

They still need all that stuff in there for jump drives. I see no reason you wouldn't be able to mod in warp since jump drives are still that but faster. There's probably a way to fudge wormhole drives with natural wormholes being a thing but that's me talking out of my rear end.
Jump drives exist in a world where everything else is dependent on hyperlanes.

I mean I guess they could do it so there are invisible hyperlanes that determine distance for influence costs and borders and sensor range and all that, but everyone flies around with modified jump drives to act like old warp... but that seems really awkward and pointless.

I too am just talking out of my rear end though.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Eiba posted:

They said it won't be gated by Utopia content, so you won't need mega-engineering at least.

While they said there is currently no plan for how to solve the problem, an obvious answer would be to de-couple the mega-engineering tech from the DLC (leaving the existing megastructures as DLC only) and have it only apply to gates or something.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Yeah actually I wonder what will be paid. Presumably warscore revamp is going to be also free as it is tied to the new FTl and viceversa, so can't be decoupled. Maybe a new story pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I guess getting at least that first sensor upgrade is pretty drat important now. Particularly If you can get it as one of your first options.

Losing science ships early is a nasty influence hit which is why people did the whole "split the first 3 corvettes and send them to die" thing.

You don't need to assign a scientist to a ship to fly it around.

• Locked thread