Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The more holes Grier's bodyguards can punch, the easier it will be for him to sweep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would have loved to play as Grier and potentially kill Hanse, but him wielding those two HAG40s with gunnery 0 is definitely a good runner up

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwaihir posted:

I would have loved to play as Grier and potentially kill Hanse, but him wielding those two HAG40s with gunnery 0 is definitely a good runner up
Grier is going to melt whatever he shoots and it is going to be hilarious to watch.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The HAG-40 seems quite useful with ACE.
I'd still find a quartet of LBx-es way scarier though.

Hopefully the Timber Wolf and Hunchback won't create too many holes... They're probably more likely to kill mechs or blow off arms than leave them crippled.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 3, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Sentinel

Grandpa Grier won't walk into an ambush, but that doesn't mean his posse won't. The Hunchback is most likely going to end next turn in 1613, which gives the Roughnecks and me time to reach 0618, 0519, and 2618 to meet him with long-range fire when he gets there.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
You're far too good for us, PTN. This is going to be amazing.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Whoa, Clanners gonna clan I guess. Grier hoping for an out from a losing war is probably the most rational explanation here, but I always thought Clanners recycled their rationality to miniaturize their lasers.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

vorebane posted:

Grier hoping for an out from a losing war is probably the most rational explanation here, but I always thought Clanners recycled their rationality to miniaturize their lasers.

Yeah, Grandpa Grier is glossing over the fact that perhaps Hanse doesn't want to absorb the Horses.

Although, really, if you were in his position, what else would you do?

Dueling it out is the most efficient way of saving his Clan in both Blood and Material, which is why the Batchall process was invented in the first place.

I would think that Grier is wizened enough such that this is less 'Clanners gonna Clan' and more 'I just want to save my Horses'.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not to be a dick here but are you reading the thread?

Well you failed at not being a dick.

Maybe some people don't read mechwarrior lore or know what the gently caress trials of absorption or condensation are. Or if it had to be 1v1 or if he's really offering 13v2 cause that seems dumb. But hey, thanks for trying not to be a dick.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He knows his star is hot poo poo, that clan equipment is generally superior to anything the Inner Sphere fields and that half of Gooncompany is beer cans that have been shot to pieces. It's "fair" to him but he's also thumbing the scales one way or the other.

His one mech has a higher BV than Korean Robert's entire lance. That and it's 2 brutal hole punchers setting up for his mech scale punt guns.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 2, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Maybe some people don't read mechwarrior lore or know what the gently caress trials of absorption or condensation are. Or if it had to be 1v1 or if he's really offering 13v2 cause that seems dumb. But hey, thanks for trying not to be a dick.

Nah man, he said that cuz one of PTN's posts shortly before yours addresses that specific concern. I get not reading every poster's screed (looking at you, Paradise Lost thread), but this wasn't quite that

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Yeah, I know I misinterpreted things regarding how to approach this, seeing as I'd like to get this done with minimal explosions from us.

Personally? I'm hoping for a hilarious simultaneous headcap.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CourValant posted:

Dueling it out is the most efficient way of saving his Clan in both Blood and Material, which is why the Batchall process was invented in the first place.

Well, yes and no. Like every notable thing the Clans have, they actually stole it from somebody else. Some grossly outnumbered Kuritan partisans during Operation: Klondike offered to fight the Clan troops one-on-one because until then, the Clans fought SLDF-style. They really liked the dick-waving aspect of it and later justified it to being about conserving resources.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Defiance Industries posted:

Some grossly outnumbered Kuritan partisans during Operation: Klondike offered to fight the Clan troops one-on-one because until then, the Clans fought SLDF-style.

Gotcha. So, like every other stupid thing in the 'Verse, its a Kuritan's fault. :ocelot: :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder why the Khan thinks some random scout group has the authority to accept a trial of this import? Like, they can commit the Drac Suns to absorbing rather than destroying the remaining Hell's Horses units on the planet? It makes sense for Siedman to want this outcome, but I'd have thought he'd need to send the challenge to the leader of the DracSuns or whatever.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder why the Khan thinks some random scout group has the authority to accept a trial of this import? Like, they can commit the Drac Suns to absorbing rather than destroying the remaining Hell's Horses units on the planet? It makes sense for Siedman to want this outcome, but I'd have thought he'd need to send the challenge to the leader of the DracSuns or whatever.

He doesn't think they're a random scout group. By their actions, skill thus far, and their courage, he thinks they're the IS playing Counting Coup and approves of an honorable raid against him.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Night10194 posted:

He doesn't think they're a random scout group. By their actions, skill thus far, and their courage, he thinks they're the IS playing Counting Coup and approves of an honorable raid against him.

even so, why would he think they have the authority to bind an entire faction of the inner sphere to his proposed deal?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because he's from a culture where this sort of mission would only be carried out by the people with that sort of authority.

e - In personal roles. They're people who think the president should only be president if he's still an effective, first-choice special ops soldier.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Night10194 posted:

On the other hand, his guards have been...fairly incompetent.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Maybe he expects the group to pass the information higher up the chain? I admit I don't now all that much about the lore of Battletech this LP has been both fun and rather informative.

Also in regards to the mechs PTN from warhansa how badly does the quality vary? Just I rather like the Uziel and was thinking of getting one or two. Sorry if it isn't okay to ask this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Leperflesh posted:

even so, why would he think they have the authority to bind an entire faction of the inner sphere to his proposed deal?

Because it's a riskless gamble. If Hanse accepts post-facto, he saved his Clan's integrity and cultural identity. If Hanse does not, his people are annihilated, which was going to happen whether he offered the challenge in the first place.

Reminder that this is only happening (and GoonCompany isn't already a series of burning wreckage) because he's humoring us.

Also I'd like to reiterate my desire to challenge the Hunchie IIC to single combat. Is anyone opposed to that?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Snake Pit 13

“I am Khan Grier Seidman of the Hell’s Horses..." *snip*

TheParadigm and Goatface are our runners-up. They each get to name any as-yet unnamed Clan OmniMech!

:stare: Gauntlet thrown. Wow and holy poo poo.

Thats a neat prize though, thank you! I'm surprised I actually won anything. I don't know enough about btech to name something blind, though. How's this work?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Strobe posted:

Also I'd like to reiterate my desire to challenge the Hunchie IIC to single combat. Is anyone opposed to that?

As a spectator I don't really get why you want to make the scenario harder for you and your fellow players by doing this. Am I missing something?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Podima posted:

As a spectator I don't really get why you want to make the scenario harder for you and your fellow players by doing this. Am I missing something?

Yes. Every target the Hunchie IIC hits becomes a very attractive magnet for HAG/40 fire. By making myself its exclusive target, I can try to run it out of ammo against a single 'Mech and leave the rest of the group in better shape to weather the hail of gauss pellets.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Strobe posted:

Yes. Every target the Hunchie IIC hits becomes a very attractive magnet for HAG/40 fire. By making myself its exclusive target, I can try to run it out of ammo against a single 'Mech and leave the rest of the group in better shape to weather the hail of gauss pellets.

Just gank the fucker. It all the armor of a mech half its size and the movement profile of one twice its size. It is not going to survive massed fire.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Having the potential of some random DC office-drone be the one to bring a decisive victory against the clanners, robbing Davion of a chance to be The One is possibly sweeter than the chance at actually killing him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strobe posted:

Spider

I would have preferred both Mechs to be taken down by combined fire, but if you really think you can handle the Hunchback solo, I have no objections to you trying.

I spent some time at work earlier today debating on whether or not I should attempt to bait the enemy and draw their attention since I can rack up a decently impressive move mod, but the Timber Wolf having ACE status worries me. I'm thinking it might just be better for me to fall back and regroup with the rest of the team.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

dis astranagant posted:

Just gank the fucker. It all the armor of a mech half its size and the movement profile of one twice its size. It is not going to survive massed fire.

But it would be so cool especially when I fail spectacularly.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Strobe posted:

The concern I have there is that unless both the Timber Wolf and the Hunchback are both challenged to single combat, the Clanners will (rightly) think we're trying to game the system, and the whole Trial might be called off.

If we go with Honorabu Combat, it has to be with both Mechs or not at all, I think. And none of our Mechs is equipped to solo a Timber Wolf.

anakha fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 3, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

koolkevz666 posted:

Also in regards to the mechs PTN from warhansa how badly does the quality vary? Just I rather like the Uziel and was thinking of getting one or two. Sorry if it isn't okay to ask this.

They're pretty ok (I don't know about the new green resin they're using) as long as you get one of the MWO models. The double-knockoffs (the Warlock (The long-barreled Warhammer), Jaguar, Etherial, Black Reiter, etc) are pretty bad and lack detail.

They are resin though so you may have to drill something out, you will have to wash them with soap and water (I suggest using a soft toothbrush to scrub), and you'll want a sharp knife to trim the flash because there will be flash. Shipping has consistently been a flat $5, which isn't bad but may make picking up a couple at once more economical than just one or two.

If you're not sure, take a look at the picture of the parts and look for the following:
- The feet are attached to the legs (some aren't and have to be glued, they are consistently a pain. The Spider is the worst because the feet are tiny).
- Long or large anchor pegs for the arms and legs. The Zeus, Black Knight, Phoenix Hawk, and Spider are all great for this. Some of the early models (the Awesome, Stalker, and King Crab in particular) are not.
- If you want a Clan 'Mech, the official Iron Winds Metals versions are better. PGI did not do the Clan designs any favors. The exception to this is Warhansa's new Night Gyr which looks great and I want it.
- The Rifleman, Marauder, and Warhammer are all solid but if you're going to buy a Marauder I suggest buying a Zeus too and using the rotary autocannon arm the Zeus gets to replace the Marauder's dinky shoulder autocannon (which will probably arrive badly bent) with the much sturdier rotary version. Some cutting will be required but it's pretty straightforward.

Looking at the picture: the Uziel has pretty big leg pegs so it should be solid, but the hips-to-torso peg looks shallow so that will probably need some drilling. A good quality Pin Vice with a small drillbit is always recommended for working with resin, and I highly recommend having one when you work with Iron Wind Metals models too so that you can pin the arms rather than relying on IWM's often less-than-adequate pegs.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 3, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

Because it's a riskless gamble. If Hanse accepts post-facto, he saved his Clan's integrity and cultural identity. If Hanse does not, his people are annihilated, which was going to happen whether he offered the challenge in the first place.

Reminder that this is only happening (and GoonCompany isn't already a series of burning wreckage) because he's humoring us.

Just to reiterate: Siedman didn't bid his entire Clan. He bid the forces that were on Luthien. The Horses will continue on in some form regardless of how this battle goes, though if they lose Luthien it will reduce their power significantly for obvious reasons.

Also, warriors taken as abtakha, as Siedman would be, are expected to conform to their new Clan and its history rather than continuing to hold loyalty to their old one. So if he bid the entire Clan, he would be destroying the CHH integrity and cultural identity, like how Clan Wolf was destroyed when Phelan's two galaxies were abjured and the Falcons absorbed the rest. Bidding the forces on-planet, on the other hand, allows the individual warriors and units to shed the shame of such a significant defeat.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 3, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Man, I didn't know about all these tiny metal robbits. I would totally pick up a couple of those Kodiak II's now that I know Iron Wind Metals exists, if I could paint for poo poo. Sadly, they'd end up looking like complete horrible trash. :saddowns:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're pretty ok (I don't know about the new green resin they're using) as long as you get one of the MWO models. The double-knockoffs (the Warlock (The long-barreled Warhammer), Jaguar, Etherial, Black Reiter, etc) are pretty bad and lack detail.

They are resin though so you may have to drill something out, you will have to wash them with soap and water (I suggest using a soft toothbrush to scrub), and you'll want a sharp knife to trim the flash because there will be flash. Shipping has consistently been a flat $5, which isn't bad but may make picking up a couple at once more economical than just one or two.

If you're not sure, take a look at the picture of the parts and look for the following:
- The feet are attached to the legs (some aren't and have to be glued, they are consistently a pain. The Spider is the worst because the feet are tiny).
- Long or large anchor pegs for the arms and legs. The Zeus, Black Knight, Phoenix Hawk, and Spider are all great for this. Some of the early models (the Awesome, Stalker, and King Crab in particular) are not.
- If you want a Clan 'Mech, the official Iron Winds Metals versions are better. PGI did not do the Clan designs any favors. The exception to this is their new Night Gyr which looks great and I want it.
- The Rifleman, Marauder, and Warhammer are all solid but if you're going to buy a Marauder I suggest buying a Zeus too and using the rotary autocannon arm the Zeus gets to replace the Marauder's dinky shoulder autocannon (which will probably arrive badly bent) with the much sturdier rotary version. Some cutting will be required but it's pretty straightforward.

Looking at the picture: the Uziel has pretty big leg pegs so it should be solid, but the hips-to-torso peg looks shallow so that will probably need some drilling. A good quality Pin Vice with a small drillbit is always recommended for working with resin, and I highly recommend having one when you work with Iron Wind Metals models too so that you can pin the arms rather than relying on IWM's often less-than-adequate pegs.

Thank you for all the information, I like the look of the Iron Winds models so going to be checking them out.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Dueling the Hunchback one-on-one is a terrible plan, sorry to say. Better for everyone to pour everything they have into the thing and let it just shoot for a few turns than leave it alive and let it do damage continuously.

Edit: Though stalling is a pretty big faux pas in a challenge, so we may all have to redline it to get into position.

raverrn fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 3, 2017

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

If the name of the game is minimizing the damage we take on the way to Grier, and if our coordination holds up, we should try to play our strengths against our opponents' weaknesses.

The Hunchback is slow and only carries short-range weapons, so we have our long-range mechs plunk at him from 16 hexes or so and break LOS when necessary.

The Timberwolf (spit) is going to want to provide covering fire for the advance and keep our bugs from backstabbing the Hunchback. We can't do much about the latter, but we can avoid the former by attacking at angles and keeping plenty of buildings between us and it. If we are really lucky, it might let itself get bottled up in an alley, but we've had way more than our share of luck this mission already.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Grier Siedman, you magnificent bastard. I'm all in favour of the Draconis Hellsuns, but that's quite the gauntlet there. The Hunchie will die quickly but most likely it'll inflict some horrific damage on the way. (Full ultra alpha strikes are a great way to die in one.) the Timby D is a murderous mix of holepunch and critseek, traditionally the streaks are mounted half forward half rearward. Given it's an omni with arm mounted PPCs, they can flip, so standing behind it is generally unsafe.

That custom Kraken is something else. Practically a Dire Wolf D with a headcapper replacing the close range armament. HAG-40s are a personal favourite of mine, but they have a minimum range. Kicking him from behind (Trading kicks with a 100-tonner is generally a bad idea) might help.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Kicking him from behind (Trading kicks with a 100-tonner is generally a bad idea) might help.

Grier is also an ACE.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really wish Clan weapons had been more different than the ones we got. Might as well just put +1 after the names of normal IS gear for most of it. HAGs are one of the few times they really stepped outside that box and I like them a lot for that reason. Were I to do a rewrite, the Clans would have dropped missile weapons entirely in favor of super-long-ranged direct fire cluster weapons, because something something only direct-fire weapons are honorable something something.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

Grier is also an ACE.

Right then, you may need to block him in first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jade Star posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Not to be a dick here but are you reading the thread? The end of the last page answers your question. And a post like 5 up from yours with bolded text on this page.
Please point out where I was critical of you because you did not know the lore? You asked "Do we have to fight the two clanners 1v1 or is this a everyone vs the hunch and timberwolf deal?" which someone else answered on that same page and someone else answered five posts before you asked. That has nothing to do with knowing the lore, so way to continue to prove that you are functionally illiterate. Please also see:

mercenarynuker posted:

Nah man, he said that cuz one of PTN's posts shortly before yours addresses that specific concern. I get not reading every poster's screed (looking at you, Paradise Lost thread), but this wasn't quite that

• Locked thread