Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They were ready for 2 weeks of progression for omega but only 1 here?

https://twitter.com/angered_ffxiv/status/926231926603689985

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Since I'm behind the loop here, Ultimate is remixed Coil no brakes edition if I'm understanding correctly?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Since I'm behind the loop here, Ultimate is remixed Coil no brakes edition if I'm understanding correctly?

Yes, it's specifically designed to be an unfair super-challenge.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

hobbesmaster posted:

They were ready for 2 weeks of progression for omega but only 1 here?

https://twitter.com/angered_ffxiv/status/926231926603689985

https://twitter.com/eriatarka123/status/926237201217679360

lol

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

:vince:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I picked up this game for the first time a couple weeks ago. I asked in fc yesterday but I'll ask here for redundancy - any tips for a sprout?

So far the broad advice I've received has been essentially, "Take your time, there's a ton of poo poo to do" and "do the main story quests for unlocks."

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

What class/job are you playing?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Read your ability tooltips.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tenik posted:

What class/job are you playing?

Been doing warrior.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Che Delilas posted:

I picked up this game for the first time a couple weeks ago. I asked in fc yesterday but I'll ask here for redundancy - any tips for a sprout?

So far the broad advice I've received has been essentially, "Take your time, there's a ton of poo poo to do" and "do the main story quests for unlocks."

Expanding on this a little:
-The first class you level to max will level mostly through questing/MSQ, so make sure you enjoy it. Might be worth leveling a few classes to 15 to see what you enjoy.
-Leveling crafting/gathering is easiest after you've gotten a battle class to at least 50.
-Take some time at 50 to unlock hard mode dungeons, extreme primals, Hildebrand, and Postmoogle quests.
-Don't bother with side quests on your first class below 50. But consider doing the Heavensward and Stormblood ones, they're much better.
-Once you get retainers make sure to check the price of an item on the Market Board instead of just vendoring. Low level dungeon and mob drops sometimes sell for quite a lot.
-Use your chocobo while landscape questing, it speeds things up significantly.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

excuse me, i watched mr. happy's video about how to do the final phase of cape westwind, and furthermore

I legit forgot what Cape Westwind boss even does outside of throw down some fire puddles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

Any quest line that has a + mark in the icon unlocks something and is probably worth doing.

Pick the class you want to level early. Other classes gain bonus EXP if they are below your highest level class so it's worthwhile to focus on finishing the MSQ before alternate classes unless you REALLY hate what you're playing.

Try to finish the MSQ before getting too sidetracked as there is certain content that only unlocks once you're level 70 and it'll save you time if you hit that early. That said don't worry about getting sidetracked too much.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Rascyc posted:

I suspect we'll start to see some player base whiplash if the ultimate fight keeps going longer.

Like people were afraid of players getting mad at discovering they weren't good enough to clear half way through Nael and nobody had pity for those people, but what do you say to people who have dumped 80 hours now and can't get through the harder stages of Bahamut despite the time being thrown at it? I think that's probably a much worse time to realize you or your static might not be good enough!

It's really not a question of "good enough" but the raw, unfeeling march of time.

People laughed at a Yoshida interview prepatch when he mentioned that groups doing an average number of hours a week (so, not WF progression) would easily take multiple months to clear this fight. Months, they'd laugh at, because the only time something like that happened in the game ever was T5 and that was only because T5 had some legitimate bugs in it. Raiders are crazy, SE can never slow them down! Now here we are and turns out Yoshida's probably going to be right on the money.

My group isn't remotely close to the current bleeding edge of the fight but we've progressed far enough to enjoy a common raid hurdle. Even if you have a given phase on utter, total lockdown thanks to massive repetition people are still human and sometimes slip up, especially when you are doing the same fight nonstop for multiple hours. In Ultimate every slip up usually means a wipe and back to start. What this means is if every individual mechanic in the fight takes the same amount of time to learn, execute, and perfect on paper, then in practice every individual mechanic takes longer then the one before it because you lose more and more pulls to attrition. Even the wipes get worse when someone screwing up an egg against Twin eats maybe 60 seconds but progressing far enough to start screwing up divebombs in Nael eats ~5 minutes, and so on.

So when you take that principle and you stretch it out to what looks easily to be a 20 minute fight with nearly zero downtime and no looping of mechanics like Alexander or NED and you end up with a fight that apparently takes more then 80 hours or whatever WF groups have spent in there since last week. 80's probably an extreme lowball.

I mean, it's worth remembering that Yoshida straight up said they'll consider tweaking the fight if no one's cleared it in 2-3 weeks. This is the dev team's first serious attempt at a no-holds-barred gently caress-off-difficult raid battle and they're not guaranteed to get that right on their first offering. The paradox of raid design is every serious fight tries very hard to stop you from clearing it, and yet every fight is also designed to be inevitably cleared.

Frankly I still expect a clear or multiple clears before that point; but for everyone who hasn't compressed 3 months into a span of weeks, well, gotta just keep going back if you really want it!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I hope they make a Westwind (Extreme) that has the exact same layout so sometimes you just get owned

I think we've just found the next super-savage raid.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

I think we've just found the next super-savage raid.

No joke I would be totally down for a Ultimate tier raid which is you versus every Garlean Legatus and Tribunus we've seen so far, in the style of that one FFXII boss fight they added to the Zodiac edition which was you versus all the Judges in a cage match.

Glamour reward will be the Garlean armor sets. Dyeable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Meiteron posted:

No joke I would be totally down for a Ultimate tier raid which is you versus every Garlean Legatus and Tribunus we've seen so far, in the style of that one FFXII boss fight they added to the Zodiac edition which was you versus all the Judges in a cage match.

Glamour reward will be the Garlean armor sets. Dyeable.

For that I would get good at crazy raiding.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They've been kicking around "The Minstrel's Ballad: Garlean 2 Magitek Boogaloo" since Heavensward. I think they specifically said they were seriously considering it but decided to do Thordan EX instead, so there is a hope for it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How do I tank the moogle king hard/extreme? Had a wipe today and I'm sure its because idk what I'm doing for tanking that fight lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Xun posted:

How do I tank the moogle king hard/extreme? Had a wipe today and I'm sure its because idk what I'm doing for tanking that fight lol

for hard one person takes the two tank moogles and the other takes the king. dps ignore all of those until all the non-tank moogles are dead, and then either kill them or burn the king (it should be the latter but some people play it safe for whatever reason).

i don't remember extreme, sorry.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

-Don't bother with side quests on your first class below 50. But consider doing the Heavensward and Stormblood ones, they're much better.

I would save the sidequests for leveling up secondary battle jobs, especially DPS jobs. Something to do while you're waiting in roulette queues.

Countblanc posted:

for hard one person takes the two tank moogles and the other takes the king. dps ignore all of those until all the non-tank moogles are dead, and then either kill them or burn the king (it should be the latter but some people play it safe for whatever reason).

For trial roulettes it's just easier to say "kill all the moogles before the king". I'd rather take a bit more time and have a guaranteed clear than gently caress around and maybe get a wipe because of a bunch of sprouts, etc.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 3, 2017

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

if you wiped it on normal it's probably because either the party or you alone did too much damage to the king before enough moogles were dead. Once you do a couple enmity combos just sheathe your weapon and hang out. It sounds dumb but even the tank in tank stance can do enough damage to the king to make him enrage. If you wanna mash buttons just grab the two adds instead.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
extreme you just unsync with 4 white mages spamming holy. No tanking required. If you wanna do that synced go actually look up a guide because it involves bouncing the king between two tanks and being real careful with damage to adds and it's just a tedious balancing game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I can solo mogex on PLD unsynced. Momento moogle does like 30k damage so who cares about mechanics.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks guys, that's helpful. Enjoying warrior so far so I'll stick to it for the most part until at least 50.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Countblanc posted:

i don't remember extreme, sorry.

I got strong opinions on moogle kill order and now you are going to hear them!

blm > whm > brd > pld is the optimal kill order for safeties sake, since if the pld catches your healers in a taunt, it's a wipe and that happens consistently enough to be a real pain in the rear end. I have no idea why anyone ever hassles the archer and thief since they do exactly fuckall.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
How is it that Miniature Sophia and Miniature Zurvan exist as housing items but Miniature Sephirot doesn't?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leofish posted:

How is it that Miniature Sophia and Miniature Zurvan exist as housing items but Miniature Sephirot doesn't?

Too swole to control.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Not sure the joke here.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Stormgale posted:

Not sure the joke here.

MTQ creates video guides for fights that she hasn't personally cleared, and this is bad because

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Why's that bad?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

I can't comprehend people who think taking one or two weeks off of IRL work for video game epeen is a good idea, and this is coming from an avid and lethargic game lover. If they had at least streamed it (or even posted teasers like Momo has been doing) that would've made it fun for everyone, but instead they went radio-silent, failed utterly, ran out of time, and despite the apparent "don't give rival groups hints" attitude other groups have caught up to them anyway. They tied their own noose and I find it hard to pity them.

Remember kids, plan around real life, not through it. The thirty minutes of fame isn't worth it.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Stormgale posted:

Why's that bad?

I don't really know, you'll have to fill in that blank on your own. Some people get upset by it though.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The likely reasoning is that if you have not done the mechanics successfully yourself then you can't properly understand and explain them. People have said that she has people who have cleared the fights explaining it so she can, so I guess it's up to you as to whether you agree with that thought or not.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

HiKaizer posted:

The likely reasoning is that if you have not done the mechanics successfully yourself then you can't properly understand and explain them. People have said that she has people who have cleared the fights explaining it so she can, so I guess it's up to you as to whether you agree with that thought or not.

The ability to successfully perform mechanics and the ability to explain them in a clear and understandable way are not actually related skills a lot of the time.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I finally finished Alchemist last night. 60-70's a ride; political intrigue, murder, magic, playing CSI: Ul'dah, and the final question 'did you actually learn anything from all this?'

lol no time to go cram life into a recliner and make it fly around

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Why's that bad?

it's not and Angered obviously provide and vouch for all the information.
it's just funny (YMMV). Mizzteq seems pretty cool overall though.

Dunking on Mr. Happy will never get old.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Calling Mr. Happy an insufferable nerd (Normal) guide - 1:34:21

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leofish posted:

Miniature Sephirot should be 20 foot tall outdoor furniture that looms over visitors while spamming the /flex emote.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

SL the Pyro posted:

I can't comprehend people who think taking one or two weeks off of IRL work for video game epeen is a good idea, and this is coming from an avid and lethargic game lover. If they had at least streamed it (or even posted teasers like Momo has been doing) that would've made it fun for everyone, but instead they went radio-silent, failed utterly, ran out of time, and despite the apparent "don't give rival groups hints" attitude other groups have caught up to them anyway. They tied their own noose and I find it hard to pity them.

Remember kids, plan around real life, not through it. The thirty minutes of fame isn't worth it.

maybe it’s fun, for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

MTQ creates video guides for fights that she hasn't personally cleared, and this is bad because

She explains the fight using strats that are geared for under geared raiders which the majority using her guides will not be.