Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

northam is more likely to win than not, but a loss seems likely to trigger a full-blown self-immolation.

democrats were already freaking out about ossoff. losing virginia would be rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

I always get weirded out when people post stuff like this that seems a lot like really biased propaganda. Over 90% of bernie voters went for hillary. There is no reason to think they wouldn't vote for the dem candidate in a special election. It just seems like you're trying to push anti-bernie sentiments at the slightest provocation to me.
I said bernie-lifers, not bernie voters. I'm not anti-bernie at all.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

My understanding was that Northam had always taken that weird stance of "if a sanctuary city started I'd stop it, but I won't preemptively ban them". I guess the problem is that he keeps talking about that loving issue instead of ignoring it and pressing more favorable topics.

Dems really need to get their jujitsu on this topic down pat and stop letting Republicans dictate the narrative of these races.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Demoralizes democratic base right before an election?

If it was 2018 I'd be more worried, but NJ and VA are the two on the chopping block, and VA chose Hillary twice--in the primaries and in the general, even when PA, MI, WI, and FL chose Trump. Says something about the direction the state is trending.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Pretty please.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

northam is more likely to win than not, but a loss seems likely to trigger a full-blown self-immolation.

democrats were already freaking out about ossoff. losing virginia would be rough.

I think it's different this time--Virginia is WAY more favorable territory than the GA-4. Moderate to good turnout will win it for Democrats.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

This sounds about right

https://twitter.com/RWPUSA/status/926266340343799808

Lol if a constitutional crisis will be on the shoulders of this gop majority

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Zoro posted:

This is going to demoralize the gently caress out of people. Staying home is why Republicans win and democrats lose and they just got their weapon from a centrist trying to make a quick buck, as usual.

Im betting democrats are so loving mad at trump right now they will vote just to get the republicans of office.

I honestly dont care who is running im going straight ticket D rest of my life.

Nothing motivates like hate apparently.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Alter Ego posted:

I think it's different this time--Virginia is WAY more favorable territory than the GA-4. Moderate to good turnout will win it for Democrats.

don’t disagree. georgia was always a reach. virginia is much more blue.

e: seriously doubt that trump will try to fire sessions to take out mueller

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

They aren't smart enough to plan this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

Having every advantage then loving it up is kind of the Trump MO. I guess he is running it like a business.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

The "New Acting AG" will just be Rosenstein and he isn't doing poo poo for ol' Donny.

Though I guess we could still end up with a Saturday Night Massacre.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They aren't smart enough to plan this.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

The acting AG would be Rosenstein though right? The only person who could fire Mueller without canning Rosenstein first would have to be confirmed by the Senate.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

There will be riots if muller gets fired.

The country would burn.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

spunkshui posted:

The country would burn.

On a serious note, I don't think it would actually take much for something to blow up badly. I mean, some dickhead at a skinhead rally using a gun instead of a car and this all starts accelerating.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

spunkshui posted:

Im betting democrats are so loving mad at trump right now they will vote just to get the republicans of office.

I honestly dont care who is running im going straight ticket D rest of my life.

Nothing motivates like hate apparently.

Maybe I'm just brokebrained from last year when one letter hosed us. It just feels all too familiar, you know? The last second before the election and someone leaks info that damages the candidates. It almost feels like a repeat, ya know? I mean, hell, polls can't make me feel better because, ya know, last year. And the assurances mean little since, from what I learned, everyone reacted to the Comey Letter like they reacted to this. So, it falls on deaf ears.

I'm going to vote straight D on Nov 7th, but it's hard to shake this feeling.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

Except that Sessions set himself up by lying. This has been about a year and a half in the making, so Painter's conspiracy seems rather far-fetched.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I guess in a way I was lucky to be raised Republican with the "Always vote straight ticket, party if not the man" ethos. It's transferred over nicely since I realized I was on the wrong God drat side of humanity.

I will never forgive the GOP for turning my family from mellow Kasich assholes to Trumpist monsters. Voting D with no fucks given may not erase my 2008 support for Palin, but damnit, the conservatives have earned my eternal contempt and they're gonna loving get it till I'm six feet under.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Zoro posted:

Maybe I'm just brokebrained from last year when one letter hosed us. It just feels all too familiar, you know? The last second before the election and someone leaks info that damages the candidates. It almost feels like a repeat, ya know? I mean, hell, polls can't make me feel better because, ya know, last year. And the assurances mean little since, from what I learned, everyone reacted to the Comey Letter like they reacted to this. So, it falls on deaf ears.

I'm going to vote straight D on Nov 7th, but it's hard to shake this feeling.

shut the gently caress up or toxx it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Google Butt posted:

shut the gently caress up or toxx it

post your map

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Vice had an interview with the people involved in the new Wolfenstein, was not expecting to hear someone from Bethesda straight up saying "gently caress Nazis", good for them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-tF7WilP8

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

post your map

don't give me flashbacks

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Grammarchist posted:

I guess in a way I was lucky to be raised Republican with the "Always vote straight ticket, party if not the man" ethos. It's transferred over nicely since I realized I was on the wrong God drat side of humanity.

I will never forgive the GOP for turning my family from mellow Kasich assholes to Trumpist monsters. Voting D with no fucks given may not erase my 2008 support for Palin, but damnit, the conservatives have earned my eternal contempt and they're gonna loving get it till I'm six feet under.

:same:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

spunkshui posted:

The country would burn.

If you actually believe this, you need to get off the Internet for a while. Most Americans have no idea who Mueller is.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Alt right is calling on Sessions to resign and be replaced so Mueller can be fired by the replacement. Not sure I understand. Can't Trump directly fire Mueller?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It doesn't matter unless you are a republican or salty Bernie fan that still honestly thinks He Would Have Won.

some people honestly think the sun will rise tomorrow too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Alt right is calling on Sessions to resign and be replaced so Mueller can be fired by the replacement. Not sure I understand. Can't Trump directly fire Mueller?

It's outside his purview.

There's a handy flowchart that explains all the scenarios but I don't have it on hand.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I am honestly surprised this was even possible.

https://twitter.com/TwitterGov/status/926267806261407744

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Grammarchist posted:

same only bush invading iraq while unleashing weapons-grade stupid upon the country via fox news

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Google Butt posted:

This sounds about right

why does anyone listen to bush's "ethics" lawyer.

Phoix posted:

an american hero.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

spunkshui posted:

The country would burn.

No, there would be a multi-thousand person protest with lots of signs.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I believe he, by the letter of the law, can. Yes. But removing the lawman investigating your corruption would be some pretty terrible opti-

Well, this administration has been led along by the nose by the alt-reich so far. :shrug:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Phoix posted:

A true American Hero.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb-tF7WilP8

Something happier as a cleanser for tonight.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
In my mind I can see a picture of Al Franken's face a few seconds before he gets to question Sessions again.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Petr posted:

If you actually believe this, you need to get off the Internet for a while. Most Americans have no idea who Mueller is.

People know the CIA exists.

People know there is “an investigation.”

All ya gotta tell them is “trump fired the people investigating him and laws dont matter anymore”

#riot
#loot

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

KickerOfMice posted:

I believe he, by the letter of the law, can. Yes.

Here's the whole thing-

Washington Post posted:

What will happen if Trump decides to fire Mueller

Now that two Trump campaign aides have been indicted and another has reached a plea agreement after lying to investigators, there are two big questions about what President Trump might do:

Will he pardon anyone?
Will he try to fire special counsel Robert S. Mueller III?
As to that second question, a Trump attorney said something very important Tuesday morning.

The White House would like you to believe this is all a media creation, but it's not. Trump ally and Newsmax chief executive Christopher Ruddy said months ago that Trump was “considering perhaps terminating” Mueller, and Trump asserted in a tweet that he had “complete power” to pardon. On Tuesday morning, Trump ignored a question about pardoning Paul Manafort. They put these questions on the radar.

And the White House has said in the past 24 hours that pardons are not “on the table” and that it has no “intention” of firing Mueller; in other words, it is using language that doesn't totally rule it out.

But on Tuesday morning, Trump attorney Jay Sekulow did do something to downplay the possibility — in a potentially big way.

“The president has not indicated to me or to anyone else that I work with that he's had any intent on terminating Robert S. Mueller III,” Sekulow told ABC News, echoing others' talking points. Then he added: “You could only terminate a special counsel for cause, and we just don't see any basis for cause.”

That second part is key. “For cause” means Mueller would have to actually have done something in his investigation to warrant being fired. Sekulow admits there isn't anything right now.

And that's significant. Trump has hinted before that Mueller going after his and his family's finances might be a red line in the whole Russia investigation. Here's what he told the New York Times in July:

--------------------------------
MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT: Last thing, if Mueller was looking at your finances and your family finances, unrelated to Russia — is that a red line?

MAGGIE HABERMAN: Would that be a breach of what his actual charge is?

TRUMP: I would say yeah. I would say yes.

. . .

SCHMIDT: But if he was outside that lane, would that mean he’d have to go?

[Crosstalk]

HABERMAN: Would you consider —

TRUMP: No, I think that’s a violation. Look, this is about Russia.
--------------------------------------------
The indictments of Manafort and his deputy, Rick Gates, are pretty much all about their personal finances and an alleged scheme that took place before the 2016 Trump campaign even began. This is largely seen as an effort to get them to cooperate with investigators by hitting them on something outside the scope of actual Russian meddling in the election. (Russia is involved in their indictments, but only tangentially as the country that supported Manafort's candidate in Ukraine.)

Sekulow has now said that this is fair game. He has essentially given his blessing to Mueller expanding his investigation into personal finances separate from the campaign.

From there, it becomes more difficult to see how Trump would fire Mueller for cause. How could Trump believe that looking at Manafort's finances is a-okay but looking at son-in-law Jared Kushner's or his own is not? He and his legal team could certainly try to make that argument, but Sekulow will have made it much more difficult by granting that the scrutiny of finances is within the acceptable scope of the investigation — contrary to what Trump seemed to tell the Times in July.

We'll see what happens going forward, but this was a major concession when it comes to potentially trying to fire Mueller down the line.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 3, 2017

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deteriorata posted:

Except that Sessions set himself up by lying. This has been about a year and a half in the making, so Painter's conspiracy seems rather far-fetched.

Yeah, I also don't think even they are stupid enough to think that Mueller getting fired would actually put an end to the investigation. It might postpone things somewhat and cause trouble but it'd just be another obstruction of justice charge in the end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Petr posted:

just shy of half of americans believe the president is guilty of a crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The biggest argument against any elaborate plan is that they've shown absolutely nothing over the past 10 months to even imply that they are capable of thinking a plan of action through.

• Locked thread