Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
my favorite part of grover is how everyone in gip hated him but they left him as a mod of gip just to spite the posters and show they can't bully mods around

my second favorite is him having a lovely self built home, having every inspector say no this isn't right, then him self inspecting his own home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

Grover was a former mod that pretended to be in the army and built a horrible house

Specifically he had no experience, plan, or even basic skills and decided to build the house himself. He had things like load-bearing stairs. He was like the bathroom guy writ large.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sigh I'll bite

pictures are dead (see proteus for pics)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2253640

e: the op rather :grovertoot:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Speaking of sagas, Space Crabs was only another mask, look deeper.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

I'll give whatever gangtag someone wants for the best rundown of Groverhaus or link to a good one

http://fishmech.info/grovercraft.htm

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Specifically he had no experience, plan, or even basic skills and decided to build the house himself. He had things like load-bearing stairs. He was like the bathroom guy writ large.

grover didn't build a house sorry

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
he bought a house and then constructed a giant addition of dubious quality as a renovation

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
wait. is that fishmechs actual site?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sneakyfrog posted:

wait. is that fishmechs actual site?

yes, he mirrored an LP thread before it got disappeared because making fun of grover and house was mod sass

I think goatstein put it together and it was like the only good thing he ever did

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

exploded mummy posted:

yes, he mirrored an LP thread before it got disappeared because making fun of grover and house was mod sass

I think goatstein put it together and it was like the only good thing he ever did

nice.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I tried to vote that thread 5 but it failed :(

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Yes, but you're a friend from along a different way, not this way. It'd be cheating if I counted that.

Making friends... outside the internet? :crossarms: gonna have to see some diagrams for this witchcraft

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Flesh Forge posted:

Speaking of sagas, Space Crabs was only another mask, look deeper.

go on..

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
what happened to basement crew?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wasn't the specific issue that Grover became an inspector over the 837 electric outlets per room?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Bobbi Wickham is one of my top 3 favorite mods of all time. I love how she gently tries to bring reason to E/N OPs, eventually is worn down, then just gives up and starts dunking all over them.

Maybe not the funniest example, but probably the tightest microcosm of her modding style:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782004&pagenumber=28#post477948625

aaahahahahahaha

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

EmmyOk posted:

I'll give whatever gangtag someone wants for the best rundown of Groverhaus or link to a good one

Groverhaus, as I understand it, is an in joke SA thing that just gets funnier every time you see it referenced. If you look at the original thread you'll notice an astonishing lack of comedy. I assume this was because he was an admin so anyone doing any jokes would either get their thread deleted or banned. Eventually he got demodded and now the images (posted by another person) are what remains of the Grover's legacy. I can't really explain why those pics are funny maybe it's the idea of a guy who does everything subtly off and the combination of all the things is just hilarious. The idea of someone designing a staircase so when you lose balance you go flying out a window, or the pole sticking out the shed :grovertoot: is just kind of funny. It's possible the reason it remains part of SA is because how hard Grover and the rest of the admins try to shut people up about it, and people just continued anyway.

Anyway here is a thread talking about it if it helps.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
cool thread btw

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

what happened to basement crew?

We live on in the hearts of all

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Sid Vicious posted:

We live on in the hearts of all

:ohdear: Is that like Jesus or like heartworm?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

Here's all the pictures of it. Remember, this was such a hot button issue at the time that you could get banned for saying things like "why are you insulating your stairs" or "why is there a perfect human sized window a foot off the ground at the bottom of the stairs so if you fall you could go flying through it?"

Also that grill caught fire and burned the siding off his house. Also this smilie was made years later and is still awesome:
:grovertoot:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sneakyfrog posted:

dude that first one is rather dickish.

maybe like not do that those guys seem ok

they're assholes

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

Here's all the pictures of it. Remember, this was such a hot button issue at the time that you could get banned for saying things like "why are you insulating your stairs" or "why is there a perfect human sized window a foot off the ground at the bottom of the stairs so if you fall you could go flying through it?"

Also that grill caught fire and burned the siding off his house. Also this smilie was made years later and is still awesome:
:grovertoot:

Already posted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Groverhaus is pretty much textbook Streisand Effect in action. What would have been mere mockery turned into legend.

Also his predictions about how the Iraq War would go have become a minor forums meme.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Found a video of Grover working on his house.

https://youtu.be/IKxGN8UhpVo?t=171

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=112125

scroll to the end :poolgirl:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

You guys are leaving out that the thread for mocking this house and the people driving past the house to surreptitiously record video are part of what got LF shut down, along with the thread full of people making dumb poems about murdering the president.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

syscall girl posted:

they're assholes

you shouldnt call mods assholes (except in pms) jeez.

rude.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Groverhaus is a monument to one man’s unbridled entitlement.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You guys are leaving out that the thread for mocking this house and the people driving past the house to surreptitiously record video are part of what got LF shut down, along with the thread full of people making dumb poems about murdering the president.

Oh, is that why no one was allowed to type “Grover” or “Groverhaus,” or even remotely refer to poorly installing outlets without threat of a ban for a while?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Oh, is that why no one was allowed to type “Grover” or “Groverhaus,” or even remotely refer to poorly installing outlets without threat of a ban for a while?

Yes it is. The same people who encouraged the stalking and publishing his address were the ones who kept bring it up in the usual goonish nudge-nudge-wink-wink thing and getting banned because the admins knew what they were trying to do.

Goons. Goons ruin everything.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Good goon: laughing at the house designed in mspaint rather than using AutoCAD

Bad goon: finding and posting the county issued condemnation notice

Good Goon: MSpainting straight lines on the pictures to highlight how nothing in the house is level

Bad Goon: driving to the house and taking pictures

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Imagine 4 outlets on the edge of an insulated staircase. Say a sunwarmed thermostat is sent to the back of the line of outlets. The formerly first outlet becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls out the conveniently placed window.

Groverhaus works the same way.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Powaqoatse posted:

Imagine 4 outlets on the edge of an insulated staircase. Say a sunwarmed thermostat is sent to the back of the line of outlets. The formerly first outlet becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls out the conveniently placed window.

Groverhaus works the same way.

new Voight-Kampff test is kinda weird.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Powaqoatse posted:

sunwarmed thermostat

such an amazing oversight

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Spanish Manlove posted:

Good Goon: MSpainting straight lines on the pictures to highlight how nothing in the house is level

Goon version of Goofus and Gallant would be a fuckin sight.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ArfJason posted:

so many fantastic little details, you couldnt make it up

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

so many fantastic little details, you couldnt make it up

Personally, I'm a fan of the quick exit window on the stairs. Little trip or stumble and head first into stitches and broken bones.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Someone pointed out that putting a window at knee height at the bottom of a flight of stars means that anyone taking a tumble is going to stop their fall against a Grover-spec single-pane window, pretty much guaranteeing traumatic defenestration. [edit: beaten] At least he thought to insulate the stairs to keep the warm air under the staircase from leaking into the room.

Choco1980 posted:

Wasn't the specific issue that Grover became an inspector over the 837 electric outlets per room?

IIRC it was some tiny flyspeck town and his dad had friends on the city council, so he didn't have to pass any exams or review process, just ask his dad to make him a building inspector for the sole purpose of approving his own house because no actual qualified inspector would.

Was it him or another goon that installed a 1940's style power bar in the kitchen that just had long copper rails instead of outlets, to allow dozens of things to be plugged in at once? I forget if it was him or someone else but it gave electricians the fits.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Spanish Manlove posted:

Whats wrong with the condemnation notice? Thats a public record, nothing wrong with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Grover was not a building inspector (Which is obvious) and he did not inspect his own house.