Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's no real satisfaction/feedback when you hit something and higher level enemies are mostly just more dangerous because they're globs of higher numbers and not because they're more aggressive or have better moves.

Like a level 30 bandit that oneshots you isn't actually any more dangerous than a level 3 bandit that you can fistfight to death if you feel like it, the level 30 bandit just oneshots you because it oneshots you.

A lot of those options are extremely fiddly or boring to mess with and don't actually expand your options in combat any, they're just 'do 6% more damage to birds'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I don't get that criticism. What's wrong with the combat system?
I spent something like 200-250 hours on the game and thought the combat was very satisfying all the way through the end.

There's a whole lot of option that are given to you in terms of skills, abilities, gear bonuses, potions and concoctions that you can use for your build that I was still experimenting with stuff up until the end.
Also the combat itself constantly requires your attention to get those well-timed dodges and parries or you'll get your poo poo pushed in from anything that isn't human (at least on the Hard difficulty).

The combat system is fairly repetitive and has very little depth and if you're not aiming for a sword-build then it 'requires your attention' insomuch as you can basically press one button over and over to win every fight. While Witcher 3 has a good variety of enemies it doesn't have enough variety to sustain a game of its absurd length and one of the biggest appeals of the early game (discovering new monster types as part of Geralt's job as lovely Fantasy Exterminator Man) loses something when you run out of stuff to discover. You fairly quickly reach a point where loot stops being satisfying, enemies stop being challenging, and you're basically a human buzzsaw of death and the harder difficulty modes do little to make it more fun. You're just fiddling with numbers a bit more at best, which can be a little fun, but loses its appeal to a lot of people by hour 50, let along hour 200.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most difficult part of TW3's combat is trying not to fall asleep in between refreshing Quen.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

There's no real satisfaction/feedback when you hit something and higher level enemies are mostly just more dangerous because they're globs of higher numbers and not because they're more aggressive or have better moves.

Like a level 30 bandit that oneshots you isn't actually any more dangerous than a level 3 bandit that you can fistfight to death if you feel like it, the level 30 bandit just oneshots you because it oneshots you.

A lot of those options are extremely fiddly or boring to mess with and don't actually expand your options in combat any, they're just 'do 6% more damage to birds'

Except there is a very large variety of enemies that all have their very distinct from each other moveset that constantly get introduced thought the game?
Sure the lvl 10 Drowner is the same as the lvl 50 Drowner except with bigger numbers but what do you expect? Every RPG does that.

Also not counting a poo poo ton of special effects you get from skills, like being able to parry arrows, or concoctions or a million varieties of bombs that can radically change the way you play your main active moveset is at the very least doubled by the end of the game since you alternate versions of all of attacks and Signs.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Endorph posted:

This is my main criticism of the game. That, and the boring/fiddly loot and crafting system. I played it for 30-40 hours and have no desire to ever touch it again.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Also you don't have to have 'well timed dodges' because dodges are completely i-framed and you can chain cancel them. It's completely brainless once you understand how it works.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The most difficult part of TW3's combat is trying not to fall asleep in between refreshing Quen.

Are you sure it's Witcher 3 you're talking about here and not Witcher 2?
Because in Witcher 3 Quen was nerfed to only ever be able to block one singular hit and some attacks from big monsters still knock you down.
There's just no way you'd have enough Stamina to tank though most of the non-human fights.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Sure the lvl 10 Drowner is the same as the lvl 50 Drowner except with bigger numbers but what do you expect? Every RPG does that.
And that gets very tedious in a game that's hundreds of hours long?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

Are you sure it's Witcher 3 you're talking about here and not Witcher 2?
Because in Witcher 3 Quen was nerfed to only ever be able to block one singular hit and some attacks from big monsters still knock you down.
There's just no way you'd have enough Stamina to tank though most of the non-human fights.

Drink Tawny Owl. Enjoy being invincible.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

And that gets very tedious in a game that's hundreds of hours long?

You're not fighting Drowners constantly throughout the whole game.
After about 15 hours or so they become a lot more rare as completely different monsters get introduced instead.

Last DLC for example has barely any drowner fights as a part of any quest.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you play it on PC you can just get that mod that replaces all the combat with Gwent.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

After about 15 hours or so they become a lot more rare as completely different monsters get introduced instead.

and all of the different monsters are just as trivial once you have mastered the combat, which for me happened around 20-30 hours.

After that the combat was just mindless repetition to get into the good parts of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you play it on PC you can just get that mod that replaces all the combat with Gwent.

How does that work? Do the bosses have stacked decks while the cannon fodder enemies are easy to beat?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah I’m just going to watch an LP. I’ll look for a player that makes choices I approve of.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

How does that work? Do the bosses have stacked decks while the cannon fodder enemies are easy to beat?

quote:

0.2 - Added basic scaling system and better recognition of enemies. The decks do slightly scale on selected game difficulty, so be aware of that. The campaign should be fully playable.
0.1 - Gwent game is triggered by an enemy or the player taking damage. Enemy deck is fully randomized. On win, all enemies within 30 units are killed. On loss, player dies.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Andrast posted:

and all of the different monsters are just as trivial once you have mastered the combat, which for me happened around 20-30 hours.

After that the combat was just mindless repetition to get into the good parts of the game.
Yeah. Like who complains about Dragons Dogma combat when it's just as easy but it has a million other entertaining ways to slay and so much better feedback.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Yeah. Like who complains about Dragons Dogma combat when it's just as easy but it has a million other entertaining ways to slay and so much better feedback.

Man Witcher 3 with Dragon's dogma combat would be so great

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 3, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Andrast posted:

Man Witcher 3 with Dragon's dogma combat would be so great

Don't forget the awesome and varied upgrade paths! W3's upgrades were so boring.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You don't have to play Witcher 3 but I don't understand watching lps of RPGs, it's boring as poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

corn in the bible posted:

You don't have to play Witcher 3 but I don't understand watching lps of RPGs, it's boring as poo poo

I guess its a difference of active and passive watching. Some people like to have something going in the background while they do other stuff and only half pay attention to it. I imagine this is what watching an lp of an RPG is like.

Sort of like having a podcast on while doing something else?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jack Trades posted:

How is your main takeaway from that post "fighting drowners suck"?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zore posted:

I guess its a difference of active and passive watching. Some people like to have something going in the background while they do other stuff and only half pay attention to it. I imagine this is what watching an lp of an RPG is like.

Sort of like having a podcast on while doing something else?

If you need something to distract you from the other thing you're doing why are you doing either thing

This is madness

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The open world in the Witcher 3 is also really poorly used. There's not really anything interesting to find and all it really does is add 10 hours to the game in travel time.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

If you need something to distract you from the other thing you're doing why are you doing either thing

This is madness

Generally the reason I do stuff at work is because I like being paid.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I’ve actually grappled with that question many times but it just boils down to my brain yelling at me that ‘just’ playing a game is a waste of time but consuming two games at once by playing one and watching another is efficient and good. I specifically like turn-based games because they make it easier for me to watch stuff while playing them but I’ve managed to play difficult action games while watching LPs as well.

I realize it’s weird but it’s apparently how I’m wired and how I enjoy my free time. If I had to pin a possible cause down I’d say it’s because watching my older brother beat games that were too hard for me at the time was a large chunk of my childhood, so it’s possible that watching other people play RPGs is comforting on a deep psychological level.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't like any game with scaling enemy levels, but I do like combat in Witcher 3, it feels lethal and requires me to keep on my toes for every encounter. Wandering into a hoard of bandits will get my poo poo kicked in, arachnid warriors (whatever the things are called) mean I need to keep dodging to avoid taking a major hit, and my magical options give me the ability to choose between a heavy defense by way of Quen or focus more on attack using Igni or simply debuff the enemy via, uh, the other one with the slow field. I like the options. Crossbow is dumb though. And I wish there was an easier way to apply oils and stuff that didn't require dipping into the menu.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, some people just don't understand why LP's exist so there's no use arguing

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
People even read screenshot LPs of RPGs where you can't feasibly do anything else at the same time, can you imagine? And don't even get me started on the crazies who make those things!

In any case sometimes you just want to see someone else play through a game, whether you've played it yourself before or not. It's not some weird or unusual thing whatsoever.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Last time the topic of Witcher 3's combat came up, I said I wish it played like Dragon's Dogma and I still believe strongly it'd be unstoppable GOAT if it did.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
If Witcher 3 played like Dragon's Dogma I would take back everything bad I ever said about it.

it would have to include pawns though.

"DROWNERS ILL LIKE FIRE WITCHER"

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 3, 2017

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Just let me Igni myself and hurl my flaming witcher body at a noonwraith.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

Last time the topic of Witcher 3's combat came up, I said I wish it played like Dragon's Dogma and I still believe strongly it'd be unstoppable GOAT if it did.

Can't argue with that.
Dragon's Dogma is a masterpiece.

I still vividly remember one hilarious moment when I was gonna shoot a lizard man with an explosive fire arrow that explodes on physical hits, missed and shot the ground in front of me, then one of the lizard men tried to hit me with a jumping attack but hit the arrow instead and was promptly knocked off the cliff by the explosion.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

GUST didn't think so.

I dunno, they didn't seem to think most of Firis cast needed a reason for you to care about them, either.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jack Trades posted:

Can't argue with that.
Dragon's Dogma is a masterpiece.

I still vividly remember one hilarious moment when I was gonna shoot a lizard man with an explosive fire arrow that explodes on physical hits, missed and shot the ground in front of me, then one of the lizard men tried to hit me with a jumping attack but hit the arrow instead and was promptly knocked off the cliff by the explosion.

:stare:

I've always thought about buying this game and clearly I need to next time it's got a nice discount on steam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

:stare:

I've always thought about buying this game and clearly I need to next time it's got a nice discount on steam.

The game gives you a ton of very fun skills to play with.

One of my favorites is a loving magic MIRV homing missile that locks on to something like 20 monsters and/or monster body parts and looks like something out of Zone of the Enders.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i need to play dragon's dogma past the first three hours or so. I tried it once and when I was fighting a big oni on a cliff, I climbed up on his back and then he charged off the cliff and killed both of us.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GulagDolls posted:

i need to play dragon's dogma past the first three hours or so. I tried it once and when I was fighting a big oni on a cliff, I climbed up on his back and then he charged off the cliff and killed both of us.

quintessential dragon's dogma experience

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think doing the thing where a magic knight can shoot a hundred homing death orbs a second killed my PS3.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

playing dragon's dogma on ps3 kills the ps3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I never really got the praise for Dragons Dogmas combat, outside of the far too rare fights against the big climbable stuff I found it pretty boring and generic. Is it just that picking certain classes turns the combat interesting?