Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
IDK what The Read Optional is but they're reporting that Butch knowingly played a player with a concussion in the Kentucky game last week.

https://thereadoptional.com/source-butch-jones-tennessee-played-player-with-concussion-in-loss-to-kentucky-1497e5b70938

quote:

Butch Jones is done at Tennessee, but things could potentially get messy before he exits Knoxville.
Communications received by The Read Optional show that Tennessee’s staff knowingly played a player with a concussion. Brett Kendrick, the team’s starting right tackle, played at least two quarters of Saturday’s loss against Kentucky with a concussion, per a source with knowledge of the situation.
“He is resting in a dark room. He doesn’t remember anything about the second half of the game”. A text received by The Read Optional reads. “They left him in until the last 22 seconds and only pulled him out because he finally threw up on the sideline.”
Kendrick (#63) was visibly wobbling throughout the second and third quarters. He missed assignments and often appeared unaware that the ball was even snapped.

Sources within the program confirm that Kendrick suffered a concussion and is currently in the concussion protocol. Sources also confirm that Kendrick told a member of the Vols staff that he was feeling woozy. It is unclear when and what Jones knew himself.
Kendrick was not made available to the media after the game, with the school citing a “schedule conflict.” A source confirmed no such schedule conflict existed.
Kendrick was not made available to the media on Monday or Tuesday. He has spoken to the media at least once a week throughout the season prior to the Kentucky game.
Endangering a student-athlete opens up the potential for the school to fire Jones with cause. As we reported earlier today, Jones’ agent Jimmy Sexton is pursuing Jones’ next landing spot. A buyout has been agreed in principle with Tennessee.
This is not the first time a Jones staff has been accused of endangering or mistreating players. In 2015, former Cincinnati kicker John Lloyd accused Jones personally of “hitting” players “multiple times”:
“No surprise Butch Jones “allegedly” struck a Vol football player during practice.” Lloyd wrote on Twitter in 2015, via The Sporting News. “I’ve seen this man hit players multiple times at Cincy lol. That man probably made the video crew delete over three hours of questionable actions at UC. Karma…”
Gridiron Now reported in 2015 that Jones was involved in “physical altercation” with a senior offensive lineman at Tennessee.

There's a couple gifs in the article but I'm not sure what they're trying to show - I'm not the best at reading what an Olineman is supposed to be doing at any given time unless it's really obvious he hosed up. The first one he looks lost but the second he doesn't seem out of it but it's relevant because it was when he was taken out of the game. Kendrick is #63:

Also, SDS is reporting that the buyout is in place and they're looking for somewhere for him to go:

quote:

Many Tennessee fans are waiting anxiously for news that coach Butch Jones has been fired, but that doesn’t seem likely to come before this weekend’s game against Southern Miss.

That doesn’t mean the wheels aren’t turning when it comes to making a change in Knoxville, though, and one report says a change could be coming soon.

According to Trey Wallace of The Read Optional, Jones’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, has been working on a buyout that has reportedly been settled:

https://twitter.com/TreyW_Radio/status/925500923710967808

Where Jones would end up should he be canned by the Vols remains to be seen, but there should be some interest in the Tennessee coach who has led his team to back-to-back nine-win seasons.

It seems as if it’s only a matter of time before Jones is out at Tennessee, but if Tuesday night’s report is true, things could be in motion to make it happen sooner rather than later.

Same guy from The Read Optional tweeted the above and wrote the article about Kendrick. If the concussion thing is true, is that enough to fire Butch with cause? If the buyout/landing place thing is true, it makes sense why this has taken so long - they're looking for someone to split the buyout with them.

Ehud posted:

Why would anyone want Gruden to coach their college football team? I have never understood that.

Big name, "offensive guru". If you think about it for more than a minute it makes less and less sense though. I think he'd be a great recruiter just because of his name but unless he got a really good support staff to help develop players he'll fail. He was terrible at developing young guys while in Tampa.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ehud posted:

Why would anyone want Gruden to coach their college football team? I have never understood that.

He has a big name, therefore all the recruits will be begging to play for him.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Because middle-aged college fans would run through a wall for the long-time host of QB Camp™ presented by ESPN.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Brian Kelly to NFL, Butch to ND

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

rare Magic card l00k posted:

He has a big name, therefore all the recruits will be begging to play for him.

I know you're being facetious, but seriously- do high schoolers give a poo poo about Jon Gruden?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

General Dog posted:

I know you're being facetious, but seriously- do high schoolers give a poo poo about Jon Gruden?

No.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

This year’s senior class was 7 or 8 years old when he last put on a headset and in diapers when he won a Super Bowl, so definitely not. He’s just the MNF color guy to them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

He's a popular name, does the QB camp stuff, MNF etc etc. They know who he is from that. They don't know what it was like for him to be a coach - they length of their knowledge is probably "won a super bowl". I can imagine that it would hold a lot of weight for them and he's got a strong personality.

This is me trying to give you an answer on what an AD is thinking, not that I believe any of this. I think kids will know who he is but who knows if they'll give a poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

This year’s senior class was 7 or 8 years old when he last put on a headset and in diapers when he won a Super Bowl, so definitely not. He’s just the MNF color guy to them.

Also, do high schoolers watch Monday Night Football?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Bo Pelini, get Bo Pelini you retards.

This is strong commitment to your gimmick

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

This is strong commitment to your gimmick

Oh yeah, I honestly forgot about him bringing in Rape Linebacker DL at Youngstown.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LiquidFriend posted:

Mangino has to be in the shittiest of health by now.

Kansas needs to overpay for a proven guy like Les Miles. Sure he won't do LSU well recruiting, but even a pile of 3 stars with a plan is better than what they've got now.

Ah yes the notoriously organized and keen gameplanning of Les Miles.

Literally the only strength of latter day Miles was his recruiting. That's an awful fit for what Kansas needs. You're not gonna recruit your way to wins at Kansas.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Same guy from The Read Optional tweeted the above and wrote the article about Kendrick. If the concussion thing is true, is that enough to fire Butch with cause?

I bet if they can prove it beyond the shadow of a doubt they can fire him, maybe not with no buyout but a greatly reduced one, for endangering the wellbeing of a student athlete or something like that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/925729709551386630

:awesome:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lol Nebraska

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I don't really want Scott Frost as the next Nebraska coach but I also don't want any other school to hire him

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Seaniqua posted:

I don't really want Scott Frost as the next Nebraska coach but I also don't want any other school to hire him

Why don't you want him

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

Why don't you want him

Holding out for Tom Osbourne.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I think the new AD is going to throw everything at him — it just makes too much sense. I don't know if he comes home, though. Nobody does.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

First was a designed roll-out so his responsibility was to not let the end slant left. It was a bit of a bust by the guard who needed to feel the end pinching down inside and give a bit more of a chip.

Second he just got beat by a speed rusher off the edge. The QB drifted back in the pocket further than either tackle anticipated.

Nothing indicating on either play that he was concussed.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The second one looks like he's messing around with his mouth guard or something before and after the play, which might be a sign that something wasn't quite right upstairs. Or it could be a sign that he just dropped his mouth guard.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hypothetical question to Iowa State fans. Let's say Campbell leaves. I'm less convinced than a lot of people that he will, because I know they're really supportive of athletics and will give him a good contract, and none of likely open jobs except maybe Nebraska seem like a slam dunk fit for him. But ISU is also a super hard place to sustain success, he's young and ambitious, and he very well may never be in this position again. If he leaves, do you just keep things rolling and promote Manning to HC? He seems like the obvious star of the staff and I'd think you'd want to keep some continuity with the best team you've had in over a decade, so to me that's the clear move (you could also just go after Candle, who's doing super well at Toledo and has already worked with a lot of staff, but I think you probably lose Manning to a better OC/OL job then). I'm interested in what ISU fans think though, and if they'd want to chase a bigger or more experienced name.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

none of likely open jobs except maybe Nebraska seem like a slam dunk fit for him.

Elaborate on this? Because he's gotten results in a hard-to-recruit place?

I don't disagree or anything — I honestly don't know much about the guy other than he was at Toledo prior to Ames.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

MourningView posted:

Strong is probably the worst coach in Texas history.

In terms of W-L record and a number of other statistical categories, there's no "probably" about it. For example, in year two of the defensive guru's reign we had the worst defense in school history. But again, saying it's because he was bad at the media/PR game is just incorrect. Charlie Strong played the media/PR game incredibly well. He was extremely successful at building a personal brand/narrative as A Good Man Doing Things The Right Way. A tough but fair disciplinarian who was the father some of these kids never had, instilling Core Values and molding fine young men. Urban Meyer and Tom Herman have those exact same core values posted on their walls, but they don't have the media eating it up the same way. Before year two, when Strong was trying to hire a new OC and word came out that the deal had fallen through, there was an uproar from people accusing the school of not supporting Strong and giving him everything he needed to succeed. The AD and the President of the University had to get on a plane and and go beg the co-OC from Tulsa to take the job as the sole OC at Texas.

And what a lot of people still seemingly don't understand is that after three losing seasons and a loss to Kansas, when the writing was on the wall and everyone agreed he had to go, Charlie Strong was still significantly more popular than Mack Brown had been at the end of his run at Texas. Quite a few people eulogized his tenure in a way you really didn't see with Mack. Many fans had bought into him as a righteous figure, someone who represented a kind of idealism about what college football could be and all too often isn't, someone who deserved to succeed. Quite a few talked about how hard it was when they finally had to accept that the noble experiment had failed. Most wished him well in his future endeavors.

And this is TEXAS we're talking about, for gently caress's sake. One of the grumpier, more entitled fanbases you're going to find. I guarantee if Herman has three losing seasons in a row, sets multiple "worst ever" school records, at least one all-time FBS worst-ever record, and loses to Kansas late in season three, his rear end will be gone and nobody will question whether we gave him enough time or feel the need to talk about what a great guy he is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I think SA being my primary CFB interaction outside twitter has colored my perception a bit. I just assumed Texas fans wanted Charlie out-out-out and it was national media that was apologetic.

Also I didn't realize quite how bad Texas D was during his tenure—was it lack of D recruiting under Mack? Inability to counter Big XII spread Os? Seems strange to me. His Louisville D was fine w much less talent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

I think SA being my primary CFB interaction outside twitter has colored my perception a bit. I just assumed Texas fans wanted Charlie out-out-out and it was national media that was apologetic.

Also I didn't realize quite how bad Texas D was during his tenure—was it lack of D recruiting under Mack? Inability to counter Big XII spread Os? Seems strange to me. His Louisville D was fine w much less talent.

Raw YPG numbers are always going to be dramatically inflated on offense and deflated on defense because of the style of play in the Big XII and the sheer number of plays in the average game there, so that's some of it. Per play his defense wasn't too bad in either the first or second year, I don't remember now. It collapsed in year 3 even by Big XII standards.

Real Name Grover posted:

Elaborate on this? Because he's gotten results in a hard-to-recruit place?

I don't disagree or anything — I honestly don't know much about the guy other than he was at Toledo prior to Ames.

Right. He's the type of coach they need to look for, and I think his preferred style of play would fit the Big Ten west well. He's also spent the bulk of his career in the Midwest and gets a lot of his best players from the Ohio/Michigan area so he might run into issues with recruiting if he were at a SEC school other than maybe like Kentucky.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Hypothetical question to Iowa State fans. Let's say Campbell leaves. I'm less convinced than a lot of people that he will, because I know they're really supportive of athletics and will give him a good contract, and none of likely open jobs except maybe Nebraska seem like a slam dunk fit for him. But ISU is also a super hard place to sustain success, he's young and ambitious, and he very well may never be in this position again. If he leaves, do you just keep things rolling and promote Manning to HC? He seems like the obvious star of the staff and I'd think you'd want to keep some continuity with the best team you've had in over a decade, so to me that's the clear move (you could also just go after Candle, who's doing super well at Toledo and has already worked with a lot of staff, but I think you probably lose Manning to a better OC/OL job then). I'm interested in what ISU fans think though, and if they'd want to chase a bigger or more experienced name.

Jury's still out on Candle for now, he's still very much running on Campbell's recruits.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Jury's still out on Candle for now, he's still very much running on Campbell's recruits.

Sure but it's a similar pedigree to Campbell when he got the job and you could probably keep the same system and some of the staff. He was a really good assistant for Campbell and would be coming in with at least a little bit of HC experience. There really hasn't been much dropoff at all for Toledo even with pretty much the entire staff outside of Candle following Campbell to ISU. They're probably the best mid-major outside the state of Florida this year

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 1, 2017

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

MourningView posted:

Sure but it's a similar pedigree to Campbell when he got the job and you could probably keep the same system and some of the staff. He was a really good assistant for Campbell and would be coming in with at least a little bit of HC experience. There really hasn't been much dropoff at all for Toledo even with pretty much the entire staff outside of Candle following Campbell to ISU. They're probably the best mid-major outside the state of Florida this year

Toledo has a fun offense to watch as well. I enjoyed playing them.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Spurrier on Frost:

quote:

“[Frost has] done a super job," Spurrier said, speaking to the Orlando Sentinel's Mike Bianchi on his "Open Mike" radio program. "What do they lead the nation in scoring? I tell you, that would make some Gators happy if we could score 40. Or 30. Thirty would be a highlight day."

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Totally.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
30 points?!?!? In one game?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Never change, Spurdog. :swoon:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

I guess roll with Manning because he’s probably the best option to keep recruits and keep some consistency in the program. He’s probably close to landing a mid-major job somewhere anyway and he’s familiar with the program. I would be reasonably fine with that since it would be a lovely situation no matter what.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/926514785751052289

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:laffo:

It's gonna own when he's not coach and people lose a lot of money and rip their hair out

It'd also own if he is coach and then fails miserably, because why the gently caress do you think Gruden would be a good college coach

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/926466630124699649

Things are never boring.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's gonna own when he's not coach and people lose a lot of money and rip their hair out

It'd also own if he is coach and then fails miserably, because why the gently caress do you think Gruden would be a good college coach

There are a loud online vocal minority that believe this. The majority believe it to be bullshit. They did the same thing in 2012.

Fun fact a father of one of my son's friends spent an hour back in 2013 trying to convince me that we came like an inch to hiring Gruden back in 2012. I lost a lot of respect for him that day.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's funny either way -- a fanbase thirsty enough to a) want Gruden and b) believe there's a non-zero chance he'll coach in colleg - or should he coach, all signs point to it being a spectacular failure given his experiences with rookies.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Still no idea why the #1 odds are at the bottom. Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Every 2-3 years, Jon Gruden makes some mumbling half-assed statements about how he'd be open to coaching again someday, and he conveniently gets a raise from ESPN shortly afterwards. It's like how Saban plants Texas rumors every time he wants a new boat.

Gruden's not even doing that this year. It's a hilarious pipe dream.

• Locked thread