Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
In my experience most of the people that work there are spouses of senior NCOs or are retired senior NCOs. That should answer a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Vahakyla posted:

Mustang, tell your situation to someone above you. It might work, no reason to not ask politely

gently caress you

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Justin Tyme posted:

I wish we had some goons that are civilian workers for CIF or something that can give insight as to why..... it is how it is exactly. They're all loving pricks and are rear end backwards to the point it might be on purpose.

they're retired SNCOs that make like $10 an hour IDK what much more to the story there is

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
There's no one in your battalion skipping out on leave to take advantage of the half-days, Mustang?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

J.A.B.C. posted:

Got an rear end-chewing today because we got bad info on a meeting.

Even worse, a new Cpt. In my shop ended up getting a worse rear end-chewing for my fuckup. I hate that poo poo, and now I feel like a scumbag because of it.

I want to vent but I'd probably get identified.

The Army defies logic.

He'll be fine. You'll be fine.

Bring some food to the office tomorrow.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Your Battle Buddy posted:

they're retired SNCOs that make like $10 an hour IDK what much more to the story there is

Are they government employee?

It's around 45,000 a year (GS7 or so) if it's a government job (weekends, holidays, paid time off, etc). And if they're disabled they get that, and preference for jobs.

It's not what I'm going to do when I get out, but if you're just wanting something it probably isn't THAT bad.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

spacetoaster posted:

It's around 45,000 a year (GS7 or so) if it's a government job (weekends, holidays, paid time off, etc). And if they're disabled they get that, and preference for jobs.

It's not what I'm going to do when I get out, but if you're just wanting something it probably isn't THAT bad.

nah that was just a random guess dude. Either way they're mostly prior NCOs on some kind of trip.

BACK IN MY DAY WE HAD TO PAINT ALL THE BRASS BLACK etc etc

edit: like I cant imagine the dude thats actually checking gear on the line is anymore than GS5

edit2: hey tell me whats up with star citizen if yoiu still follow it

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 3, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Your Battle Buddy posted:

edit2: hey tell me whats up with star citizen if yoiu still follow it

I only look in on it every 1,000 posts or so now.

The drama encyclopedia is still *kinda* up to date: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773270

If any of you want to read a funny gold thread on some of the drama read this entire thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3772600

Back to Army stuff:

Mustang posted:

By this point I’m pretty sure letting poo poo roll down hill is just an Army tradition. Doesn’t matter if there’s extenuating circumstances for why X happened, this shits gotta roll!

It’s almost like the Army is fueled by rear end chewings

If I were in charge of everything for a day the first thing I would do is stop the BS where you have to spend every penny of your budget at the end of the fiscal year no matter what.

"Oh poo poo we have 4.2 million dollars not spent and it's August! Quick, make up some bullshit to spend every single penny so we don't get punished for not using all of it!"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Zeris posted:

You know when you're on a run, ruck, or hike and you start feeding off the misery of the guys who are sucking the most?

Some folks just can't turn it off.
EMBRACE THE SUCK

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

This. I’ll tell soldiers “this is dirty” and gives no fucks for GS 7 pay and my disability.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I watched it happen years ago. It was required. They tried to say they weren't doctors, and had no obligation. Dude told them take the kid to the hospital, or he would shoot them in the face.
They took the kid.

No it’s not a war crime to threaten civilians lol. It’s probably punishable under UCMJ, but definitely not a war crime.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
That’s marginally better than the US healthcare system.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Zeris posted:

You know when you're on a run, ruck, or hike and you start feeding off the misery of the guys who are sucking the most?

Some folks just can't turn it off.

And there I was, thinking that the 15mm I was shorter after a leisurly 40km stroll was due to spine compression, turns out I was the problem because I failed to feed off the suck.

The things you learn as you grow up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spacman posted:

And there I was, thinking that the 15mm I was shorter after a leisurly 40km stroll was due to spine compression, turns out I was the problem because I failed to feed off the suck.

The things you learn as you grow up.

That’s abut how much height I lost in the army, too :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Nothing gets Natty guard dudes more at ease than constantly yelling WE'RE NOT DEPLOYING while ramming them through medical readiness and SRP poo poo the past three months.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

No it’s not a war crime to threaten civilians lol. It’s probably punishable under UCMJ, but definitely not a war crime.

I figured the issue might come in that they were IRC personnel.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
My old 1SG thats a senior drill posted some poo poo about how the militarty can't even get people to join who can pass that 1-1-1 test or whatever its called.

https://therussells.crossfit.com/2017/10/16/us-army-general-calls-lack-of-able-bodied-recruits-next-existential-threat/

71% can't join?

I was no stud but to me that number sounds a little bitch rear end ish to me. Boggles my mind I just stopped smoking weed for a month and ran every day and was fine and I was lazy as gently caress. 71 PERCENT? lol

edit- he posted the site I dont frequent it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

$2.4 million crossfit study. I can smell the retardation.

"Obesity is causing healthcare to become more expensive, we're going to fix it by breaking more soldiers with exercise that is bad for the joints."

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
a lot of kids had a lot of trouble with the 1-1-1, or the PFA (Physical Fitness Assessment)

Mainly the run.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

man, does it suck to run a mile - ray smuckles

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

If I have to deal with another loving drunk soldier covered in his own loving piss and poo poo again...... Would post pictures, but people would get pissy. This time it was a fully clothed idiot.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 3, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

$2.4 million crossfit study. I can smell the retardation.

"Obesity is causing healthcare to become more expensive, we're going to fix it by breaking more soldiers with exercise that is bad for the joints."

I wonder if it'd be so bad to make physical standards something that's handled at a unit level and just shovel money into legit physical fitness and dietary training?

Like I know some guys that could make some really fit Soldiers, but can't because everyone has to be able to do really well on the APFT all the time.

What did we do before? Just train hard and people would get into shape? That sounds ok to me.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Remove scoring from the APFT entirely: All events are pass/fail, height/weight/bodyfat are recorded as pass/fail.

Take out the measurement dickwaving and you'll improve the programs.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

Remove scoring from the APFT entirely: All events are pass/fail, height/weight/bodyfat are recorded as pass/fail.

Take out the measurement dickwaving and you'll improve the programs.

I thought it already was that? You can't punish anyone for scoring a 60 in every event, or passing height/weight by 1 pound.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I thought it already was that? You can't punish anyone for scoring a 60 in every event, or passing height/weight by 1 pound.

You can't "punish" but you can do a hell of a lot of stuff that isn't "punishment" or "restriction."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

You can't "punish" but you can do a hell of a lot of stuff that isn't "punishment" or "restriction."

Which is exactly what would probably happen if we went with nazgul's idea too.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Which is exactly what would probably happen if we went with nazgul's idea too.

Probably true.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Oh you sweet, sweet summer child.

I was being rhetorical.

The whole things gotta be revamped with specific attention paid to being in shape to do your job. Not just a good runner or sit upper.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ah, gotcha. Political threads have murdered my capability to detect sarcasm lately.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Make Shine the new SMA. His quickstart guide worked for a fatbody like me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

Ahah ahaha of course you can

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Ahah ahaha of course you can

No kidding. :shrug:

Anywho. It's all over for me now anyway. My retirement award is submitted and I'm going to rent a u-haul (that's a sarcastic joke guys) to carry all my crap to supply.

I've started taking time off to go and substitute teach elementary school and I'll be headed to college to get my certification once I'm done with Army.

Also, teachers don't even pull into the parking lot until 0745 (so I'll be doing the gym stuff that I want to do before work) and are pulling out of the parking lot before 1500 most days.

I just want to add that teaching also gets you weekends, holidays, and summers off and there is a literal 800 pound gorilla of a union protecting you.

Also as a man, administrators will literally fight over you, parents want their kids in your class, and you're the defacto coolest teacher in the school (to the kids).

Also, if you're single, elementary schools are packed with 25ish year old single women who just finished graduate school (and the single mom's will try to jump you too).

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
if you didn't score at least a 240 in both units i was in you had to do remedial pt and would never get any schools ever

might have been 260

either way it blew

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vasudus posted:

if you didn't score at least a 240 in both units i was in you had to do remedial pt and would never get any schools ever

might have been 260

either way it blew

I had that once.

As an intel sperg working in a strategic unit in loving Yongsan.

To be fair, the company commander had literally no responsibilities, duties, or any personnel at the company beyond an o-room and a motorpool, so I imagine that policy was just "Hey, I need an OER bullet".

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Lol my recruiter put me on a treadmill and set it to the pace that would get me to pass the 1-1-1. He said to yell at him when it hit a mile then went and I dunno, drank coffee or cranked one out or whatever

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Retardog posted:

Lol my recruiter put me on a treadmill and set it to the pace that would get me to pass the 1-1-1. He said to yell at him when it hit a mile then went and I dunno, drank coffee or cranked one out or whatever

My ROTC 1-1-1 was all to spec and attended by a CPT and LT, but it wasn't insane or anything. Also they told me about it. When I talked to a Marine ROTC recruiter, he just said he could meet at the picnic tables by the track. He did not say that he expected me to do a full-up Marine physical fitness test, was pissed off as hell when I showed up in jeans and a t-shirt, and then told me to just enlist and do college via correspondence, and make sure I annotate him as the guy who got me to enlist. I said no thanks and walked away from that meeting immediately afterward, and this 22 year old goldbar recruiter yelled after me about how I'd wasted his afternoon. oohrah devildog.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got yelled at all the time for lovely PT scores. I’ve always been a sprinter so long distance running sucked. I also have to focus on my breathing like 100% or else I cramp so I’d get yelled at for not sounding off cadence.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We got “punished” at one point in OCS by not being allowed to sign cadences. Best week ever imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Honorable discharge for PT failure, or honorable discharge for finishing your contract. Hmm.