Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Where can I put $50 on Lane Kiffin back to Tennessee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
New conspiracy theory: VFL resignation an inside job intended to provide Tennessee a way to fire Butch with cause.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

kayakyakr posted:

New conspiracy theory: VFL resignation an inside job intended to provide Tennessee a way to fire Butch with cause.

Literally was just thinking this haha

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

MourningView posted:

Ah yes the notoriously organized and keen gameplanning of Les Miles.

Literally the only strength of latter day Miles was his recruiting. That's an awful fit for what Kansas needs. You're not gonna recruit your way to wins at Kansas.
Better recruiting alone will get them to a better spot than they are currently. Even recent Les Miles is a step up from anything post Mangino.

They need a bigger name to actually bring talent to a terrible program and a name that's desperate enough to take a job like that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Still no idea why the #1 odds are at the bottom. Help?

It's just sorted by bet #. Gruden must have been a late add by whatever betting site that's on.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Benne posted:

Every 2-3 years, Jon Gruden makes some mumbling half-assed statements about how he'd be open to coaching again someday, and he conveniently gets a raise from ESPN shortly afterwards. It's like how Saban plants Texas rumors every time he wants a new boat.

Gruden's not even doing that this year. It's a hilarious pipe dream.

He said the exact words "Man, I miss coaching sometimes" on Sunday and I was instantly laughing at all the Vol fans who probably started chubbing up. He's either dropping hints or trolling UT hardcore.

The money they're going to spend to jettison Butch and hire Gruden is so high (I'm saying 16-18 mil a year for Gruden + assistants) that it just has to fail for the sake of hilarity. As funny as it is for him to dash hopes by not accepting the job, crushing their very spirits by accepting then turning out to be poo poo as a college coach is a thousand times better.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
KU's facilities are loving dreadful afaik and that stadium is a huge piece of poo poo. It's going to take a generational coach to even get them bowling again (or huge increase in commitment from the AD).

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The only downside to firing your coach this early is you have to wait like 6 weeks before you know who they're gonna hire.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Crotch Bat posted:

He said the exact words "Man, I miss coaching sometimes" on Sunday and I was instantly laughing at all the Vol fans who probably started chubbing up. He's either dropping hints or trolling UT hardcore.

The money they're going to spend to jettison Butch and hire Gruden is so high (I'm saying 16-18 mil a year for Gruden + assistants) that it just has to fail for the sake of hilarity. As funny as it is for him to dash hopes by not accepting the job, crushing their very spirits by accepting then turning out to be poo poo as a college coach is a thousand times better.

As hard as you are over this, which is really weird, the only people I’ve heard that want this are the guys over at r/ockytop. Even the 247 boards don’t want him.

There’s also no one here that does either.

I personally think it’s all a bunch of BS and we end up with someone that has only been mentioned in passing or someone no one thought of.

I also think UT is building a case to fire butch for cause and shirk the buyout, so there’s money saved.

I absolutely do not believe Gruden will be the guy and I’ll be really disappointed if he is.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 3, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LiquidFriend posted:

Better recruiting alone will get them to a better spot than they are currently. Even recent Les Miles is a step up from anything post Mangino.

They need a bigger name to actually bring talent to a terrible program and a name that's desperate enough to take a job like that.

Their recruiting has gone way up under Beaty. He's a good recruiter. You can only recruit so well at Kansas. They need someone who can develop the guys they actually can get, or scheme around the talent limitations that they're always going to have. That guy is probably not the person who managed to have a crappy offense with Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and an NFL backfield. You can't just drop Miles into the worst program in FBS and expect him to get even close to his down years at LSU.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Joey Freshwater posted:

As hard as you are over this, which is really weird, the only people I’ve heard that want this are the guys over at r/ockytop. Even the 247 boards don’t want him.

I personally think it’s all a bunch of BS and we end up with someone that has only been mentioned in passing or someone no one thought of.

I also think UT is building a case to fire butch for cause and shirk the buyout, so there’s money saved.

I absolutely do not believe Gruden will be the guy and I’ll be really disappointed if he is.

Right, hating some teams and wishing abject failure upon them is so totally crazy in the sports world.

Don't take it so personal. I want weird poo poo to happen to teams other than mine and your fanbase is ripe for ridicule.

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice

Joey Freshwater posted:

I'm in the same boat. The subreddit seems all on board for Gruden for some reason, including the moderators. All the weird "leaks" coming from guys who claim to have inside information just seem overly vague and cryptic for the sake of being cryptic. It's like a bunch of kids pretending college football works like some poo poo from House of Cards. I just want an actual coach that's shown success in both recruiting and maintaining a quality team, not a former NFL guy turned commentator. Every time I'm dumb enough to check the rumor thread on r/ockytop I just shake my head.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not taking it personal, you’re just acting like all vol fans want it to happen and that’s not entirely true. I then offered my opinion on the matter, which probably isn’t far off from what the other guys here think.

Outside of the news outlets running with every story about it and the weirdos at r/ockytop I honestly haven’t heard of a single rational person wanting him there.

e: why the gently caress does my phone keep making this stupid bullshit when I️ type I

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jon Gruden to Tennessee is yet another Russian disinformation campaign designed to divide and fracture the UT fanbase

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not taking it personal, you’re just acting like all vol fans want it to happen and that’s not entirely true. I then offered my opinion on the matter, which probably isn’t far off from what the other guys here think.

Outside of the news outlets running with every story about it and the weirdos at r/ockytop I honestly haven’t heard of a single rational person wanting him there.

e: why the gently caress does my phone keep making this stupid bullshit when I️ type I

Nobody here is representative of their fanbase in the slightest, we're all way smarter and more realistic about who our staff, players, and programs are at the end of the day. I agree entirely that Gruden is not only an odd choice but would have a good chance to bust (which is the funny part to me). That said, your fans would go apeshit if he was the pick, the grumbling of skeptical fans would pale in comparison to the cheers for the hire.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm sure Jon Gruden's strong ties to Tennessee as a ...

*checks Wikipedia*

"graduate assistant" in 1986-87 really gives him a leg up in the recruiting battles.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I'm sure Jon Gruden's strong ties to Tennessee as a ...

*checks Wikipedia*

"graduate assistant" in 1986-87 really gives him a leg up in the recruiting battles.

His kid or nephew or something goes to UT I can’t remember

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Auburn's AD announced today that he is resigning after this year and will step down June 1, 2018 (or sooner if they find a replacement before then). I would have to think this is good news for Malzahn, because I think people would want the new AD pick the next coach if there is a change. Now if Auburn loses to aTm, UGA, and bama that might be a different story.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike_V posted:

KU's facilities are loving dreadful afaik and that stadium is a huge piece of poo poo. It's going to take a generational coach to even get them bowling again (or huge increase in commitment from the AD).

What's different now from when Mangino showed up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Duckaerobics posted:

Auburn's AD announced today that he is resigning after this year and will step down June 1, 2018 (or sooner if they find a replacement before then). I would have to think this is good news for Malzahn, because I think people would want the new AD pick the next coach if there is a change. Now if Auburn loses to aTm, UGA, and bama that might be a different story.

Is Auburn an Adidas school?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

iospace posted:

Is Auburn an Adidas school?

Under Armor but there was some pretty heavy allegations involving sexual misconduct and some of the sports teams and him not responding in the way he should have

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

What's different now from when Mangino showed up?

It was easier to win in that version of the Big XII North than in the current Big XII where you have to play all the best South teams every year (in the orange bowl season they didn't play anyone who was even remotely good aside from mizzou, who they lost to, and VaTech in the bowl). And really Mangino wasn't that far above the KU standards of the time outside of two Todd Reesing years, which probably not coincidentally overlapped with Ron Prince at KSU, Dan Hawkins at Colorado, and Bill Callahan at Nebraska.

Also, while Terry Allen wasn't a very good FBS coach, that program is in way worse shape now than it was when Mangino got there. Gill and Weis were both a complete disaster.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 3, 2017

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Todd Reesing, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Kansas, if they want a football program that's not a dumpster fire (that doesn't mean bowling every year), they probably need to look outside the box. The hot MAC name is going to get better offers. You aren't poaching someone from a top MWC or AAC program (and you don't want their dregs). You need someone that'll bring in talent, produce watchable football, and who knows how to develop players.

I know the perfect man for the job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Kansas, if they want a football program that's not a dumpster fire (that doesn't mean bowling every year), they probably need to look outside the box. The hot MAC name is going to get better offers. You aren't poaching someone from a top MWC or AAC program (and you don't want their dregs). You need someone that'll bring in talent, produce watchable football, and who knows how to develop players.

I know the perfect man for the job.

The most recent hot MAC names went to Iowa State, Syracuse, and Minnesota. Those are definitely better programs than current KU but I still think they could make a run at Candle if they wanted to.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Duke cares about football as little as Kansas and was essentially neck-and-neck with them for bottom of P5 status in a given year, if they can turn it around there's no reason Kansas can't. If anything, they need a situation like Cutcliffe where a coach is less likely to leave them to move up. Find an older assistant that might want to end his career as a HC and go in that direction unless you want to constantly replace up-and-comers as bigger P5s steal from you. With Kansas the way it is now if all the guy does is 6-6 each year he could coach there for life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

Duke cares about football as little as Kansas

Pretty close. Also I had no idea Duke cancelled their football program once, well I don't know if cancelled is the right word. They played a few games every year between 1890 and 1895 but only had a coach in the first year, sounds like they were a club team playing for fun. Then nothing from 1896-1920, in 1920 they played four games. In 1921 they played their first season of what looks like a full schedule.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
dumb Duke football fact: due to WWII, they hosted the 1942 Rose Bowl.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

General Dog posted:

Where can I put $50 on Lane Kiffin back to Tennessee?

My #1 choice, it’s just meant to be. Life is a circle.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nate fisher posted:

I don't think Lane is a wizard or anything, but I think if he'd stayed at UT you guys would have competed for the SEC several times after Meyer left.

He seemed to fit UT well in recruiting, and his lone season seemed hopeful.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nate fisher posted:

If Petrino can come back to Louisville and Lebron can come back to Cleveland, then why the hell not?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

nate fisher posted:

It probably wouldn't be that bad of a hire, because unemployed-with-nothing-to-do Art Briles is "consulting" his son on running that mysteriously improved offense for Lane.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I thought he was a good gamble the first time around

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I don't expect Kansas to go bowling, but I do expect them to beat this Baylor team. Fire Beatty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I don't expect Kansas to go bowling, but I do expect them to beat this Baylor team. Fire Beatty.

You just extended him before this year!

(No seriously why in the world did Kansas extend him?)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I guess Barry Odom's getting another year

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I don't think this does it for sure, but one more win (against any of Tennessee, Vandy or Arkansas who are all horrible) probably does.

So yeah, he's pretty likely to survive.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Benne posted:

I think he still has to win 2 more for another year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

To reassure the good by KU standards recruits he was getting commits from I think. The narrative before this year was that he was moving in the right direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

I guess the school is valuing stability more than anything, and there's certainly merit to that especially compared to the last couple coaches, but... I mean, this team can't even beat a historically abysmal Baylor team, and it's his third year. The team, as a culture, is not progressing. The quarterback play is as dire as it's ever been. It just feels amateurish. This is a team that used to get three or four wins a year, and round robin changes that, I get it, but... are there really not two more historically winnable games for this team? I just don't think this team is acceptable even in KU's tradition. That's the feeling I get, anyway.

• Locked thread