Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
You can dip it in near boiling water for 1-2 seconds to loosen the fixture in the ferrule, then reshape the brush and dip it into a brush restorer that sightly hardens and let it rest a couple days. If that doesn't fix it then it's permanently bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Tried my hand at some of my Armada junk laying around. Still working on the bases, but thought I'd share a pic before I try to varnish them

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok guys, it's time for The Second Ever C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge!!!

Last time we restricted the challenge to a single Gundam kit, but this time we're blowing it wide open. Pick any Gundam kit you like! But stick to the theme! That's right, this time we're doing a theme, and that theme is...

The Nixon Years!

That's right, the tumultuous time from 1968 to 1974. Vietnam, Watergate, Woodstock, the Moon Landing, the inspiration for Gundam modeling is practically endless.

The contest ends January 31st, so don't delay!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
My size 1 Series 7 brush is by far my most used brush. Most larger things I airbrush so I use the 1 for smaller details and all my edge highlights. Definitely holds a point better than that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Booyah- posted:

I got a windsor & newton series 7 brush in the 1 size recently and I'm not really liking it. I think I take pretty good care of my brushes by making sure paint never gets more than halfway up, not letting paint dry, and washing with masters soap after use.

Once I start painting with it it just seems to fray, and doesn't hold a good point. This is what the brush looks like after dipping in water and on a paper towel to paint with a different color:

If the brush is messed up I'm only out $15 but I'm definitely looking for something that can hold a fine point better than my synthetic brushes.

edit: also they have a "miniature" line, should I have gotten that?

I'm no horse expert but that does not look like red sable. I use the regular W&Ns. I have brushes that are nearly a decade old (they're on slop duty now though)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Nixon Years!

That's right, the tumultuous time from 1968 to 1974. Vietnam, Watergate, Woodstock, the Moon Landing, the inspiration for Gundam modeling is practically endless.

The contest ends January 31st, so don't delay!

Also the golden age of American muscle cars, I might need to make a hemi-powered Gundam in Plum Crazy Purple.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

This is my Grenadier before I've done any major highlighting. Just minor highlights so far, so minor tbh I barely notice but I think that's because it's dark in color.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So listen, I bought this StyLyBillNyLenseGuy poo poo and I want to know about folks experience using it because I've seen it talked up in here but I am not impressed.

My issue is that it takes 2 or 3 passes to get a good prime. Is that normal for this stuff? IDGI. I'm hoping that when I put paint on these models I'll get a rock hard erection because that vallejo primer covers great in a single pass and, frankly, masturbation is all about efficiencies.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Eldar progress!

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Thanqol posted:

Eldar progress!

Holy poo poo. Close ups of the wraiths please, those helmets look awesome.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

DiHK posted:

So listen, I bought this StyLyBillNyLenseGuy poo poo and I want to know about folks experience using it because I've seen it talked up in here but I am not impressed.

My issue is that it takes 2 or 3 passes to get a good prime. Is that normal for this stuff? IDGI. I'm hoping that when I put paint on these models I'll get a rock hard erection because that vallejo primer covers great in a single pass and, frankly, masturbation is all about efficiencies.

I personally have issues with the vallejo primer flaking off before I'm done painting a mini and i find the badger stuff to hold up much better and its even lightly sandable.

I don't feel that it takes me any longer to prime with one over the other but i always do a two thin passes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Decided to copy the name and the scheme of my random chapter for my Shadespire Stormcast Warband.

Really happy with how it turned out overall. Star Justicars Stormhost - Obryn the Bold. Gotta do the bases still.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally started airbrushing, and I wish I had years ago. I got about two squads of figures based in a yellow ocre (over black!) in about twenty minutes.

I ... might clear my backlog. Someday.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

moths posted:

I finally started airbrushing, and I wish I had years ago. I got about two squads of figures based in a yellow ocre (over black!) in about twenty minutes.

I ... might clear my backlog. Someday.

I may have to get one too, if just for primer and base coating now that it's getting cold and humid. I finally tried color primers this year, and that plus the slap-on texture paints from GW took care of the most tedious processes in painting for me.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Tried my hand at some of my Armada junk laying around. Still working on the bases, but thought I'd share a pic before I try to varnish them

I know first hand how tiny these are, they look amazing for their size!

Stephenls posted:

I made another thing.

Specifically it is a set of scans of the swatch book I've made so I can see the colors of all my paints, plus commentary and explanation of how I made it. Sample pages:

This thing took me months. The Imgur album is 50 images long. I hope some people find it useful.
You are insane. The good kind of insane.

Edit:

Finished assembly on my brainslug hovertanks, all turrets are magnetised and on the AA weapons i replaced the resin hinge with steel wire and 1mm magnets. The AA tanks look better with the weapons raised but have very low clearance when they sit in their dropship so making the weapons movable was the only way to get the best of both worlds. After that i couldn't resist cramming in even more magnets and everything now lightly snaps into place on their little shelves and has no risk of sliding out when moving the dropships. Next up is repairing small casting defects and prepping the infantry.

Bistromatic fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 5, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Not quite painting related but: is there a US store that's best for getting foam to make trays with? The pre-cut stuff from places like Battlefoam seem like a lot to pay for a tray that isn't even quite what I'm looking for.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Sojenus posted:

Not quite painting related but: is there a US store that's best for getting foam to make trays with? The pre-cut stuff from places like Battlefoam seem like a lot to pay for a tray that isn't even quite what I'm looking for.

Joanne's has big cuts of green foam that do the trick. I think they'll even cut it in-store for you.

You'll need a firmer bottom for the foam they offer though, so I'd suggest tracking down this stuff called Funky Foam to hot glue the green foam to. I've seen it at Walmart before, as well as Michaels under a different name, so it's fairly common.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I used Foam by Mail dot com for my foam.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Cross-post from 40K thread:

bonds0097 posted:

We have an 1500 pt tourney coming up locally and decided, because I'm an idiot, to paint a whole new army for it. Here is 1 of 3 Wraithlords for my Spearhead detachment (yes, I know). I managed to knock this out in under 48 hours from sprue to completion so I'm feeling pretty confident about getting it all done by Dec. 2nd.

The bases are meant to be Hive Fleet Kraken themed as Iyanden's big bad.

Full Album

The metal wraithguard was my test mini for the scheme. Tweaked the yellow a bit and was happy with it, my reference was this: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fiG_1hFGXEs/Ub9qirpbcCI/AAAAAAAADQs/Bf0mErHuTPc/s1600/m3260087a_4xl.jpg

bonds0097 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 6, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

I used Foam by Mail dot com for my foam.

Woah, they do custom cuts. Have you ever had them do trays with specific cutouts? What foam are you using?

bonds0097 posted:

These are awesome.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bonds0097 posted:

I like how subdued that yellow is, job's a good'un.
Also, your imgur link doesn't work =S

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Irate Tree posted:

I like how subdued that yellow is, job's a good'un.
Also, your imgur link doesn't work =S

Whoops, fixed.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I painted a thing.

It's my Imp for Frostgrave :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, scammers can sell through Amazon too, so it's not necessarily a pedigree on the item you're buying. That being said, you may just have a bad brush - I'd contact the seller (though it will likely just route you through Amazon) and explain that the brush won't hold a point and is frayed. Just be courteous, and you'll either get a refund or a replacement (at that price, they will likely just give your money back.) Amazon is really good about returns for the most part (as long as it is still within the window.)

At that point, buy another brush and see if it is any better - you either had a bad brush or a bad seller.

Amazon's having a huge problem with this right now, because they do combined stock for the same SKU from multiple resellers. So sometimes you can get a lovely counterfeit from a reputable seller because Amazon are dickbags and don't pay attention.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished painting up some more Templars and it made me realize two things:
1. I really don't like painting capes, and can never for the life of me get smooth transitions
2. My phone camera blows and everything not directly centered looks like it's smeared in vaseline

First is Marshall "Too Old For This poo poo" Löwe:

Next is a Devastator Squad, featuring grimdark baby:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sojenus posted:

I've had good success with the Game Plus pluck foam.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Booyah- posted:

I got a windsor & newton series 7 brush in the 1 size recently and I'm not really liking it. I think I take pretty good care of my brushes by making sure paint never gets more than halfway up, not letting paint dry, and washing with masters soap after use.

Once I start painting with it it just seems to fray, and doesn't hold a good point. This is what the brush looks like after dipping in water and on a paper towel to paint with a different color:

If the brush is messed up I'm only out $15 but I'm definitely looking for something that can hold a fine point better than my synthetic brushes.

edit: also they have a "miniature" line, should I have gotten that?

This happens to all my brushes no matter where they come from and it makes me nervous about painting cause it's basically like setting money on fire.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

This happens to all my brushes no matter where they come from and it makes me nervous about painting cause it's basically like setting money on fire.

Do you use a brush cleaning soap? My $7 synthetic brushes have held up extremely well as long as I use the soap to clean and condition them (a much simpler process than it sounds.)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Booyah- posted:

Do you use a brush cleaning soap? My $7 synthetic brushes have held up extremely well as long as I use the soap to clean and condition them (a much simpler process than it sounds.)

I am extremely careful with my brushes (and all my tools). I have the brush soap but it still doesn't stop a $10 brush from getting the tip curl after two hours of use.

edit: here's a somewhat recent example:

Cat Face Joe posted:

I gotta get into some actual sable brushes as well as this happened to my synthetic after maybe five hours of use.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 8, 2017

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

I am extremely careful with my brushes (and all my tools). I have the brush soap but it still doesn't stop a $10 brush from getting the tip curl after two hours of use.

edit: here's a somewhat recent example:

Yeah the tip curl happens pretty quick to me too. Ugh!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You guys aren't using hot water to clean your brushes at the end of a session, are you? That kills brushes like that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You guys aren't using hot water to clean your brushes at the end of a session, are you? That kills brushes like that.

I was going to ask that.

Also, remember that you do have to shape your brushes - when you clean the paint off, you need to reform the point with your fingers (or by sticking them in your mouth, like most of us do.)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You guys aren't using hot water to clean your brushes at the end of a session, are you?

No.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, remember that you do have to shape your brushes - when you clean the paint off, you need to reform the point with your fingers

Yes.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

berzerkmonkey posted:

(or by sticking them in your mouth, like most of us do.)
It's not been a proper painting session if I don't have a few stripes of various colours on my lips from liking the brushes after I've forgotten to clean them first.

E: Speaking of paint in your mouth:
https://youtu.be/VXz5e0JItvY
This is quality marketing that I'm sure we can all relate to.

Not that I'd ever buy it when I could just rinse out some random jar instead if I was afraid of the occasional sip of paint water, but still.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 9, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Groetgaffel posted:

It's not been a proper painting session if I don't have a few stripes of various colours on my lips from liking the brushes after I've forgotten to clean them first.

E: Speaking of paint in your mouth:
https://youtu.be/VXz5e0JItvY
This is quality marketing that I'm sure we can all relate to.

Not that I'd ever buy it when I could just rinse out some random jar instead if I was afraid of the occasional sip of paint water, but still.

Everyone hated that water pot when it originally came out. I think that commercial just made it a little more palatable.

Thanks to Stephenls great photo, I picked up a jar of Agrellan Earth to experiment and see if I want to do my Gorechosen bases up in a 'parched earth" scheme. How are you guys applying it? The WHTV video has Duncan applying with a standard brush - that seem about right? Also, I know AE is said to be pretty similar to crackling pastes - are there any recommendations for alternatives that have actually been put to the test?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Everyone hated that water pot when it originally came out. I think that commercial just made it a little more palatable.

Thanks to Stephenls great photo, I picked up a jar of Agrellan Earth to experiment and see if I want to do my Gorechosen bases up in a 'parched earth" scheme. How are you guys applying it? The WHTV video has Duncan applying with a standard brush - that seem about right? Also, I know AE is said to be pretty similar to crackling pastes - are there any recommendations for alternatives that have actually been put to the test?

I tend to apply that sort of thing with sculpting tools instead of brushes. Easy to spread around or even out and way easier to clean.

I use mason jars for my paint water. Though I guess hip people drink out of those too.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

My mom used to do tole painting, so I've got one of these

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
Cross-posting from the Shadespire thread:

bonds0097 posted:

Here are my big dumb sigmarines:

bonds0097 posted:

One more warband done. Back to Eldar for a bit before I take care of the other two.

Was really happy with the rust effect on the weapons.

Full Album

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Also, I know AE is said to be pretty similar to crackling pastes - are there any recommendations for alternatives that have actually been put to the test?

I asked a few pages ago and had this recommended. I've used the Deco Arts stuff previously and found it didn't shrink as much so the segments tended to be larger with less gaps and other finer, more eggshell cracks. The GW stuff has the advantage of being pre-tinted as well which saves the extra step of having to paint over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Anyone got some good resources on making your own technical paints?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgzCb7QS6JA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOuFf8D1EZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jTZ6QZV-z0

This guy has a few, but not all of them and some are less compelling than others

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmQ7oWHRtU