Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Mugaaz posted:

Recommendations on lighting, both stand up and desk options? (For painting, not pics)

I have a similar lamp to this and it's quite decent. Not bulletproof in build, but about the entry point to swing arm lamps that aren't reinforced with plastic. Very bright and white light and dimmable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I missed your painting dude, glad to see you painting stuff again.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I've had some paint in the ferrules of some of my sable brushes and was looking to restore them.

I have them sitting in Windsor and Newton brush cleaner/restorer and they'll be ready to work with when I get home. Is there a go-to way to clean out the paint from here? Internet says use a sewing pin to get the paint out slowly.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner, anything specific I can do with that?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I use The Master's Brush Cleaner for every day maintenance, and Weber's Turpenoid Natural to restore brushes when i gently caress them up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure there are edgelords in China who love Imperial Japan. There are plenty of neonazis in Russia, after all.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm sure there are edgelords in China who love Imperial Japan. There are plenty of neonazis in Russia, after all.

They're usually wehraboos or people who actually know the history of Nationalist China and are Nationalist apologists, which is a crime in China called historical nihilism. There's probably a lot of Imperial Japan edgelords in Taiwan though for obvious reasons.

There isn't a huge war gaming culture in Mainland China because the economy hasn't really allowed it until recently and the educational system doesn't really support having hobbies.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Quidthulhu posted:

More on camera talk, does anyone have a particular starter level DSLR they enjoy using to document their minis :v:

Hixson recently started, but has improved a lot. I'm sure he can tell you more.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

Hixson recently started, but has improved a lot. I'm sure he can tell you more.

Die in a fire

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Real talk though. Generally speaking, the more diffused light you put on the model the better the pics will turn out. Direct light blows out your highlights and can add glare.

This is why light boxes are nice. They come with lights and fabric to diffuse the light. A good alternative is just use indirect daylight coming through a window, or shoot outdoors on an overcast day.

For reference, this setup:

Produced this image:

As far as cameras, if you're going for a dslr anything with manual control works great. Go for a realllly narrow aperture, as low of a iso as it can get, and a long shutter speed. This widens the dof so you get the whole model in focus.

Also phone cameras are dang good now a' days. Screw around with the exposure and see what sticks. I know this started as a bulba-troll; but I hope it helps somebody :)

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
If you're using a phone camera the Open Camera app is pretty good, free, and no ads. My OE app was giving me horrible pictures with no exposure adjustment and blowing out highlights, but mucking with Open Camera got me more usable results.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

progress on the primaris ancient I asked advice for earlier. I think he's neaaaarly done, just need to do some cleanup and decide wtf I'm going to write on that banner in the middle. I was going to write the chapter name but because of the sculp it would probably read RAP TORS

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Hixson posted:

Real talk though. Generally speaking, the more diffused light you put on the model the better the pics will turn out. Direct light blows out your highlights and can add glare.

This is why light boxes are nice. They come with lights and fabric to diffuse the light. A good alternative is just use indirect daylight coming through a window, or shoot outdoors on an overcast day.

For reference, this setup:

Produced this image:

As far as cameras, if you're going for a dslr anything with manual control works great. Go for a realllly narrow aperture, as low of a iso as it can get, and a long shutter speed. This widens the dof so you get the whole model in focus.

Also phone cameras are dang good now a' days. Screw around with the exposure and see what sticks. I know this started as a bulba-troll; but I hope it helps somebody :)

Phone cameras are pretty nifty. Last year I did this guide to compensate for my older camera phone

richyp posted:

In terms of lightboxes, I made a ghetto box out of cardboard box that I cut the top and front off, then I taped the top of a sheet of white paper to the back, and the taped the bottom to the under side of the box making sure that the paper was curved rather than creased (so there's no sharp line on the picture). Here's a shot of it:

I'm then taking pictures from about 12-16" away from the box. Followed by lloading the picture into gimp, choosing "Colors->Levels..."

Click the white dropper:

Click on the white paper "lightbox" background in the image and voila:

The picture would be sharper if I had a tripod because my understanding is that the shutter speed is slow enough that any minor movement is making its way into the final picture.

Now I skip the white balance part and have a white paper lid for my ghetto box that my painting light shines through (Can't even seem to get a decent SLR picture any more as my phone seems to tweak the settings better):

richyp posted:

How close are you taking the photos? Try about 10-12" away in front of a plain background (I use white, some people prefer dark) with a lamp over the mini. I put some paper towel over mine to reduce the shadows it casts. With my cell phone camera's autofocus mode I seem to get better images than my SLR in Macro this way.

The lamp doesn't make a huge difference to the overall image but it helps at night and avoids the yellow from the overhead lights.
Here's my ghetto setup (sorry for Sigmar pics):

and an image from about 10" head on of the box

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I made another thing.

Specifically it is a set of scans of the swatch book I've made so I can see the colors of all my paints, plus commentary and explanation of how I made it. Sample pages:

This thing took me months. The Imgur album is 50 images long. I hope some people find it useful.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 2, 2017

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
holy poo poo dude

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Good work

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

BULBASAUR posted:

holy poo poo dude

Thanks!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Stephenls posted:

I made another thing.

Specifically it is a set of scans of the swatch book I've made so I can see the colors of all my paints, plus commentary and explanation of how I made it. Sample pages:

This thing took me months. The Imgur album is 50 images long. I hope some people find it useful.

These are awesome too!

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Stephenls posted:

I made another thing.

You beautiful bastard, this is awesome.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They're usually wehraboos or people who actually know the history of Nationalist China and are Nationalist apologists, which is a crime in China called historical nihilism. There's probably a lot of Imperial Japan edgelords in Taiwan though for obvious reasons.

There isn't a huge war gaming culture in Mainland China because the economy hasn't really allowed it until recently and the educational system doesn't really support having hobbies.

I saw a teen walking down the street in Chengdu with an Imp guard starter box and I regret not saying sup. :smith:

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

I saw a teen walking down the street in Chengdu with an Imp guard starter box and I regret not saying sup. :smith:

There was a girl in her 20's getting on a bus in Shanghai with a rulebook for 40K and she got on the bus before I put two and two together. :suicide:

The GW store in Shanghai was surreal because it was exactly the same as one in the US, prices and everything. Everything down to the fixtures and one guy working the store.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Cross-posting from 40k thread. C+C welcome. Could use any tips to get better!

Mugaaz posted:

I painted a mans. Just got done with Mortarion for my DG army. Been working on him slowly since his release. This is about as good as I can paint.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Stephenls...you're all right.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Mugaaz posted:

Looking pretty amazing! To be hyper critical - your smoke should probably be brighter at the flame source, blacker further away, kind of weird that it does the opposite. The base could possibly use more depth, and variation on the red areas- too samey. Around the green pools, a transition may be effective - brown and/or green wash around the liquid to show that it effects the surroundings. On the gold areas, you could use an even brighter highlight for some details- it's a bit flat at the moment.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Wazzu posted:

Looking pretty amazing! To be hyper critical - your smoke should probably be brighter at the flame source, blacker further away, kind of weird that it does the opposite. The base could possibly use more depth, and variation on the red areas- too samey. Around the green pools, a transition may be effective - brown and/or green wash around the liquid to show that it effects the surroundings. On the gold areas, you could use an even brighter highlight for some details- it's a bit flat at the moment.

I agree with you for normal flame. Not sure about this noxious gas though, feels like it would be more like a chemical gas that is dispersing instead of a flame.

I tried to put some variation in the red, but yeah there definitely a bit samey. I tried some stuff, but I don't have any ideas on what else to do.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Those wings are loving top-notch, though. Super-disgusting, which is right on target.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

I painted a mans. Just got done with Mortarion for my DG army. Been working on him slowly since his release. This is about as good as I can paint.
Dude - you do realize that you did a great job, right?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does this look right? should I blend the dust up a bit higher?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mugaaz posted:

This is straight up the best painted Mortarion I've seen. Those wings are incredible.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Dude - you do realize that you did a great job, right?

I think it looks awful and he should ship it to me for immediate inclusion in games destruction.

Those wings are amazing, like gross fleshy beetle wings from my nightmares.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Pendent posted:

This is straight up the best painted Mortarion I've seen. Those wings are incredible.

Thank you, appreciate it goonbro

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Pretty simple paint job for poxwalkers but I think it's effective. First time using blood for the blood god and I really like this stuff!

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

I'm a beginner and this (along with RichyP's earlier post about choosing starter paints) helped me tremendously. After waffling between a few blues, greens, and light browns, one glance at this gallery revealed the exact shades I had in mind.

All the effort that went into this is appreciated.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Does this look right? should I blend the dust up a bit higher?

No, I think that looks good.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

No, I think that looks good.

I agree, don't go any further.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys! I'll leave it there then. Decided to just match the basing of my Deathwatch with my AdMech, so if i ever field them together it'll be themed. Now to just replicate that dust effect on all my stuff!

It wouldn't make sense to dust the blackstars, right?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I got a windsor & newton series 7 brush in the 1 size recently and I'm not really liking it. I think I take pretty good care of my brushes by making sure paint never gets more than halfway up, not letting paint dry, and washing with masters soap after use.

Once I start painting with it it just seems to fray, and doesn't hold a good point. This is what the brush looks like after dipping in water and on a paper towel to paint with a different color:

If the brush is messed up I'm only out $15 but I'm definitely looking for something that can hold a fine point better than my synthetic brushes.

edit: also they have a "miniature" line, should I have gotten that?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

I got a windsor & newton series 7 brush in the 1 size recently and I'm not really liking it. I think I take pretty good care of my brushes by making sure paint never gets more than halfway up, not letting paint dry, and washing with masters soap after use.

Once I start painting with it it just seems to fray, and doesn't hold a good point. This is what the brush looks like after dipping in water and on a paper towel to paint with a different color:

If the brush is messed up I'm only out $15 but I'm definitely looking for something that can hold a fine point better than my synthetic brushes.

edit: also they have a "miniature" line, should I have gotten that?

The Miniature line has a shorter bristle and doesn't have enough "belly" to hold paint, IMO. The regular series is good.

I'm not sure what is going on with your brush - I have never had a W&N look like that, and I don't use brush soap that often. Did you get it from a legit seller? Maybe it's counterfeit? This may sound pedantic, but when you put the brush in the paint, do you drag it across, or stick it straight in? Do you shape your brush on the palette before touching it to the model? Do you store your brush with the cap on?

I'm not saying you do this, but that looks like a brush that someone has mashed down on a model, like a kid will do with a cheap watercolor brush.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Nov 3, 2017

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

The Miniature line has a shorter bristle and doesn't have enough "belly" to hold paint, IMO. The regular series is good.

I'm not sure what is going on with your brush - I have never had a W&N look like that, and I don't use brush soap that often. Did you get it from a legit seller? Maybe it's counterfeit? This may sound pedantic, but when you put the brush in the paint, do you drag it across, or stick it straight in? Do you shape your brush on the palette before touching it to the model? Do you store your brush with the cap on?

I'm not saying you do this, but that looks like a brush that someone has mashed down on a model, like a kid will do with a cheap watercolor brush.

That's what I thought it looked like too. I got it on amazon so I imagine it's legit. It definitely had some fray hairs when I got it though. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013E68T4

I always dip just the top half of paint in the brush, then twist it on the pallette slighty to make sure its a good point. I don't store them with brush caps when using them every day, but they are horizontal on a table arrange so that the brush can't be knocked or bumped by anything.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Booyah- posted:

That's what I thought it looked like too. I got it on amazon so I imagine it's legit. It definitely had some fray hairs when I got it though. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013E68T4

I always dip just the top half of paint in the brush, then twist it on the pallette slighty to make sure its a good point. I don't store them with brush caps when using them every day, but they are horizontal on a table arrange so that the brush can't be knocked or bumped by anything.

Well, scammers can sell through Amazon too, so it's not necessarily a pedigree on the item you're buying. That being said, you may just have a bad brush - I'd contact the seller (though it will likely just route you through Amazon) and explain that the brush won't hold a point and is frayed. Just be courteous, and you'll either get a refund or a replacement (at that price, they will likely just give your money back.) Amazon is really good about returns for the most part (as long as it is still within the window.)

At that point, buy another brush and see if it is any better - you either had a bad brush or a bad seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Zuul the Cat posted:

Thanks guys! I'll leave it there then. Decided to just match the basing of my Deathwatch with my AdMech, so if i ever field them together it'll be themed. Now to just replicate that dust effect on all my stuff!

It wouldn't make sense to dust the blackstars, right?

I put some dust on the tops of the door ramps on mine. I should get to taking some more photos of my DW.