Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

RottenK posted:

is Northam just spineless or is there some bigger reason for him making GBS threads his pants every time there's even a slightest chance that he did something to upset racist whites

It's because he came up in a political era when Virginia was a lot less blue, like basically all politicians here over forty, or hell thirty, and hasn't really internalized that it's okay to just let it roll off your back, the urban areas have got you.

This is why our governors always do better in office, by the way. They don't have to run in this kind of election again and their instincts aren't fighting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

A question that almost asks itself: "What common grievances lead to the interpretations Condiv and t_d derive?"

It's valuing purity, which is a very conservative way to think.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Here, let me repost this insanely asinine thing from the Trump thread:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

is Northam just spineless or is there some bigger reason for him making GBS threads his pants every time there's even a slightest chance that he did something to upset racist whites

The Muppets On PCP posted:

ralph northam is an empty suit whose sole reasoning for running is to punch his ticket for a future senate bid

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boon posted:

I do get that. I also understand that the inequality isn't uniform and the Democrats are a party where each vies to make they're priority THE priority.

But that's neither here nor there because it's ultimately all in the service of good. What irritates me is the idea that you move the party left through the threat of a general election loss. That's a theory, sure, but the practical reality of that is it's incredibly damaging to the very same people you want to help. It's akin to saying that the Dems should let the GOP gut the ACA so that we can get UHC. It's not a clear or even likely successful strategy. The general is not how the GOP moved right, they moved right through the primary process. If you want a VA specific example of that you need to look no further than the staggering primary of Eric Cantor.

I actually agree with the general logic behind voting for the lesser evil in the general election, but what I don't understand is why someone's primary (and in this case sole) reaction would be to get angry and irritated with the people who don't want to vote for pretty lovely Democratic politicians. There are two aspects to this that are dumb:

1. You don't change behavior on a large scale through explaining why it isn't pragmatic to not vote. If you actually cared about results, you'd focus on trying to get politicians to change their platforms and messaging in a way that made people enthusiastic towards voting for them. Like, when I see someone who doesn't want to vote for Democrats, my default response is "man, it sucks that the Democrats can't inspire any enthusiasm in people." I have trouble understanding the mindset that would instead default to "grrr, why can't these people just make the pragmatic choice and vote for the lesser evil." It's a weird place for a person to automatically direct their ire.

2. There's no evidence that leftists not voting is actually a notable problem (at least relative to any other demographic not voting). Nothing indicates that the percent of leftists who stayed home is different than the percent of any other politically engaged demographic within the Democratic Party. This begs the question of why these people are the ones receiving so much negative attention from mainstream liberals.

So while I actually agree with the general logic of "staying home in the general election doesn't help anything," I can't help but wonder why the same people who complain about lack of leftist support virtually never direct criticism towards Democratic politicians. I could understand if you were making the argument in favor of voting while simultaneously condemning Democrats for their actions that lead to this lack of enthusiasm, but that's almost never the case. It paints a picture of a person who is primarily driven by an irrational distaste for the radical left.

edit: Also, I feel there's a fundamental difference in the way mainstream liberals (I guess including yourself?) view Democrats and the way leftists do. It seems that many liberals view Democrats as "not ideal, but still pretty good," but leftists view them as "better than Republicans, but still really bad." The important thing to realize is that the Democratic Party is dramatically far from the sort of ideology and policy that the radical left desires. They aren't even in the ballpark of the sort of wealth redistribution that leftists believe is vital to the creation of a remotely equitable society. Heck, one could even convincingly argue that the Democrats cause more harm than good if you look back more than 10 years or so (there's a good chance Bill Clinton did more bad than good, for example).

I think this is why you end up with a disconnect where liberals view the radical left as being obsessed with "purity," when in reality a large portion of the left is compromising when it comes to politicians like Bernie Sanders. No one in the Democratic Party is advocating for what really needs to be done, but at least he seems willing to move things in the right direction. The rest of the party seems to consider a 5% increase on taxes for the super wealthy to be the bleeding edge of progressive policy.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 4, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at people who were jerking off about Tulsi being one of the good dems
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/926570874358173696

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So while I actually agree with the general logic of "staying home in the general election doesn't help anything," I can't help but wonder why the same people who complain about lack of leftist support virtually never direct criticism towards Democratic politicians. I could understand if you were making the argument in favor of voting while simultaneously condemning Democrats for their actions that lead to this lack of enthusiasm, but that's almost never the case. It paints a picture of a person who is primarily driven by an irrational distaste for the radical left.

I think usually people don't feel the need to repeat every single point they agree with before addressing the point they disagree with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

I think usually people don't feel the need to repeat every single point they agree with before addressing the point they disagree with.

I'm talking about the greater context of a person's posts/rhetoric. There's nothing wrong with someone arguing why they think voting is better than not voting, but I'm talking about a greater trend where many posters in D&D literally never criticize the Democratic Party while giving a disproportionate negative focus to the left*. There's also a strong tendency to not only disagree on a point, but to insinuate bad things about the left as a whole in the process.

*Honestly I don't really mind if someone just wants to bad-mouth Republicans or whatever; I can understand if someone just feels more comfortable attacking an easy target like Trump. The problem is that the same people often get really irritated when the left attacks Democrats

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

shrike82 posted:

lol at people who were jerking off about Tulsi being one of the good dems
https://twitter.com/TulsiGabbard/status/926570874358173696

Who was doing that?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

TheScott2K posted:

Who was doing that?

There was only one person who was actually really assertive that Gabbard is cool and good and that's call to action, as far as I know.

But yeah gently caress Gabbard, she's pretty awful and she's probably gonna be one of the 20+ Dems that runs in 2020 so.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wasn't she at the infamous Putin dinner?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

you're thinking of Jill Stein

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

No there was a Dem there too I thought. Or I'm seriously misremembering something.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No she's the one who is in bed with Indian far-right parties and is anti-war in the same way Steve Bannon is, i.e. gently caress Muslim people but America First.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/05/tulsi-gabbard-president-sanders-democratic-party

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

There was only one person who was actually really assertive that Gabbard is cool and good and that's call to action, as far as I know.

But yeah gently caress Gabbard, she's pretty awful and she's probably gonna be one of the 20+ Dems that runs in 2020 so.

I, GreyjoyBastard, think it would be really cool if a Hindu politician became prominent and successful in the United States.

*finger on monkey's paw curls*

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Boon posted:

Yeah okay, we all get that, but 350 million people don't just shift opinion on a dime. We can't even get ~50 presumably educated and engaged people in this thread to agree.

The question is how it benefits anyone to be the person coming into discussions and saying "whoa let's not demand too much, change happens slowly." If you think an idea is good, you should advocate for it. No one benefits from preemptively setting expectations low (or, even worse, condemning people with higher expectations).

You can argue that people should vote for politicians who are merely a lesser evil without simultaneously telling people they shouldn't demand more. Change won't happen unless politicians see a bunch of constituents demanding something. If every constituent said "well, I understand why it might not be possible to do (insert good thing) yet" the politicians would have no reason to change anything.

I feel like the real reason for this stuff is "some liberals have the general impression that modest expectations signal that a person is reasonable and mature." It's basically people acting out this flawed mental image they have of what it means to be the mature and reasonable "adult in the room." It's the same reason liberals are often looking for excuses to compliment conservatives; they perceive "being willing to agree with their enemies sometimes" as something that signals maturity. But this isn't how you make change happen. You make change happen by enthusiastically expressing your support for the things you actually want to happen (or anger towards the things you dislike). If everyone in the country just said "well, we must be reasonable and not set our expectations too high" nothing would ever be accomplished.

edit:

Boon posted:

Here's what I don't understand. If all of this is true, why are we not arguing for mandatory voting as the utmost priority. Why has no one mentioned that in the last... 100s of pages? It SIGNIFICANTLY changes the money issue and if you're right, the elected candidates.

Why would you tell people to temper their expectations and then come out with a proposal that's at least as radical and unlikely to happen as anything they've proposed?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: joke didn't work, I failed myself and god tonight.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I, GreyjoyBastard, think it would be really cool if a Hindu politician became prominent and successful in the United States.

*finger on monkey's paw curls*

:agreed:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I used to defend Tulsi but the hits against her just kept piling up. First Zack Snyder, now this :sigh:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Mantis42 posted:

I used to defend Tulsi but the hits against her just kept piling up. First Zack Snyder, now this :sigh:

Did Snyder do something other than make bad movies I haven't heard of?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

CineD gaslit me into thinking his films were subversive.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

lol there there

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since elections are about mobilizing your base (a strategy that has given Republicans great success in the house since at least 2000) being an overly compromising wet blanket candidate is setting yourself up for failure.

The dems bench is mitt Romney's and Jen Bushes

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

You must never go there, it's a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The infamous Putin dinner.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No there was a Dem there too I thought. Or I'm seriously misremembering something.

Tulsi met Assad for lunch.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

R. Guyovich posted:

The infamous Putin dinner.

Hosted by Bill Cosby.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm against mandatory voting on the simple facts that it obscures the unpopularity of our parties amongst the general public, and forces them to participate in powering the Lesser Evil, lowest bidder style.

If it's a guarantee that everyone will vote, then the least worst candidate only has to worry about being a microbe better than the second least worst candidate, rather than compelling others to vote for them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

JeffersonClay posted:

That ad says he advocated for life sentences for violent sexual predators and longer sentences for gang members but don't let reality get in the way of smearing a democrat 3 days before a critical election.

Phew, and here I was worried that the ad was bad!

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Neurolimal posted:

I'm against mandatory voting on the simple facts that it obscures the unpopularity of our parties amongst the general public, and forces them to participate in powering the Lesser Evil, lowest bidder style.

If it's a guarantee that everyone will vote, then the least worst candidate only has to worry about being a microbe better than the second least worst candidate, rather than compelling others to vote for them.

Even in places with mandatory voting, you can still vote for an alternative party or spoil your ballot.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Falstaff posted:

Even in places with mandatory voting, you can still vote for an alternative party or spoil your ballot.

If you dont even want to vote, you're not going to bother doing either instead of checking the least disgusting box. Path of least resistance, and all that.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Except people do that. Australia's vote in 2010 saw 6% of their ballots spoiled.

It's not even hard to do - you just submit your voting card without having filled anything out and bam - spoiled ballot. If you want to talk about paths of least resistance, to me that's what qualifies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

If you dont even want to vote, you're not going to bother doing either instead of checking the least disgusting box. Path of least resistance, and all that.
Writing down whatever is way easier than actually ticking a box. Like, tick literally nothing, or write down 'jesus' or 'harambe.' the brainpower required to decide which box is least disgusting is way more effort than either of those.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Falstaff posted:

Except people do that. Australia's vote in 2010 saw 6% of their ballots spoiled.

It's not even hard to do - you just submit your voting card without having filled anything out and bam - spoiled ballot. If you want to talk about paths of least resistance, to me that's what qualifies.

You can draw a really big penis on your ballot.

Do it right and it also counts as a valid vote!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Writing down whatever is way easier than actually ticking a box. Like, tick literally nothing, or write down 'jesus' or 'harambe.' the brainpower required to decide which box is least disgusting is way more effort than either of those.
The effort required to walk to the polling station clearly dominates both, I am quite sure.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Yeah donkey vote is always an option, no shame in it, just make it clear what you're doing so you don't get the scrutineers in a tizzy come tallying the votes. Anyway continuing the Australia example, even with mandatory voting we have two distinct major parties and various smaller parties that are to the left, the right and inbetween of the them that have representation in the lower and upper houses. Being forced to vote doesn't inspire mediocrity by itself, it requires a voting system that only allows for it. Preferential voting and actual 3rd party presence on the ballot do a world of good and if you're picturing the overhaul of your electoral system to have mandatory voting but can't picture either or both of those coming with it, well that's a little sad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
With all due respect, 6% spoilage doesn't really compare to the what, 70% nonvote in america? Not to mention I sincerely doubt Aus's nonvoters would equal 6% without threat of fine. Have you seen their politicians?

I'm not saying 'this becomes impossible', rather 'this rewards and encourages unsavory behavior'.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Tulsi met Assad for lunch.

Yes that's it. Thanks.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Neurolimal posted:

With all due respect, 6% spoilage doesn't really compare to the what, 70% nonvote in america? Not to mention I sincerely doubt Aus's nonvoters would equal 6% without threat of fine. Have you seen their politicians?

I'm not saying 'this becomes impossible', rather 'this rewards and encourages unsavory behavior'.

We currently have a totally optional and unnecessary same sex marriage postal survey that exists for stupid loving reasons, there's no need to fill it out at all and it's a bigger hassle to participate because you have to find a post office box to drop it in at. 78% of us managed to do it so far and we're not done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

we get pretty near 50% voter participation in presidential election years.

• Locked thread