Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hel posted:

I never really got the praise for Dragons Dogmas combat, outside of the far too rare fights against the big climbable stuff I found it pretty boring and generic. Is it just that picking certain classes turns the combat interesting?

it's that doing interesting things makes the combat interesting. If you just sword and board it's pretty dull but as soon as you use spells and explosive arrows and stuff it's super wacky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hel posted:

I never really got the praise for Dragons Dogmas combat, outside of the far too rare fights against the big climbable stuff I found it pretty boring and generic. Is it just that picking certain classes turns the combat interesting?

Some classes get more fun abilities than others. Like Magick Archers can light themselves on fire and hug enemies to death, etc.

Also being able to pick up and throw small enemies or climb on big ones is really fun. And some of the big magic spells are fantastic.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's that doing interesting things makes the combat interesting. If you just sword and board it's pretty dull but as soon as you use spells and explosive arrows and stuff it's super wacky.

You can do lots of cool poo poo sword and board in DD

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Endorph posted:

Zore posted:

Some classes get more fun abilities than others. Like Magick Archers can light themselves on fire and hug enemies to death, etc.

Also being able to pick up and throw small enemies or climb on big ones is really fun. And some of the big magic spells are fantastic.

Ok, I might try and replay it, I needed a podcast game anyway. Are there any specific classes etc. you recommend as specifically interesting?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you play it on PC you can just get that mod that replaces all the combat with Gwent.

Why would you want to make combat worse?

The only bad part of the combat for me was the level scaling. If you were too low, things just took significantly reduced damage while doing a shitload more. Level scaling is poo poo. Dragon's Dogma combat for Witcher 3 would be insanely good.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tae posted:

I mean, some people just don't understand why LP's exist so there's no use arguing

LP's are fine, but RPG lps really are kinda straining. Like, if it's not a SSLP or you're not skipping around a video LP, then yeah I'd agree that it's weird to think "This game is too tedious, I'll watch this tedious LP instead".

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I'd much rather watch an lp of people drinking every time someone says the word mana than play tales of symphonia

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Magick Archers rule so hard, it's a shame their stat growths are garbage

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Video LPs of RPGs are good for background noise at the very least.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I bought tyranny in the steam sale. From what I've read lore is god-tier stat but I want to make a spear-shield character, is lore still necessary then? Any other char gen advice?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

double nine posted:

I bought tyranny in the steam sale. From what I've read lore is god-tier stat but I want to make a spear-shield character, is lore still necessary then? Any other char gen advice?

Lore is important for both dialogue skill checks and making new magic spells, so its probably still important if you don't want to miss out on plot stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only LP’s I enjoy are ones that act as translations for games never released in English. Other than that specific niche they’re just kind of boring to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

I'd much rather watch an lp of people drinking every time someone says the word mana than play tales of symphonia

They could drink themselves to death sooner on Dawn of the New World and "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality".

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I wish someone would lp Xenoblade Chronicles x

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

double nine posted:

Lore is the best stat for everyone, regardless of spec.

Lore is god!

e: Tyranny is one of those games where tanking doesn't work in the traditional sense since the AI beelines after the char with the lowest armor.
You may also want to look up the opening char choices to make sure you don't lock yourself out of anything you care about. One character is much harder to recruit if you don't pick the right options during the prologue which give you a huge boost towards their recruitment. It's Sirin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 3, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hel posted:

Ok, I might try and replay it, I needed a podcast game anyway. Are there any specific classes etc. you recommend as specifically interesting?

I think everything except the two straight mage classes are fun, and some people argue that Sorcerer is good enough. Just avoid base Mage and you really can't go wrong, every other class gets cool poo poo. Maybe also avoid Warrior unless its highly specific playstyle is to your taste.

CaptainScraps posted:

I wish someone would lp Xenoblade Chronicles x

If I had a capture card I'd honestly do it, I love that stupid game to bits. I've 100%'d it two times! I'd need to get on it fast, or maybe it's already too late, I dunno. Is the Miiverse down yet?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ventana posted:

LP's are fine, but RPG lps really are kinda straining. Like, if it's not a SSLP or you're not skipping around a video LP, then yeah I'd agree that it's weird to think "This game is too tedious, I'll watch this tedious LP instead".

If they've played the game before and/or know what editing is, it'll be less tedious than playing it yourself. Which isn't even an RPG-specific bonus but it's likely to be more significant there.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The .hack GU remaster+addition is on steam. I never played the GU series. Apparently the combat is actually action?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They could drink themselves to death sooner on Dawn of the New World and "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality".

1: That's not actually true because they stop doing that every five minutes after the first chapter.

2: This is referencing a real and good LP in which a group of drunk idiots somehow stumble their way through Tales of Symphonia and only forget like half of the plot. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsz31gTLKEYTsvTxMSFX-FgJcnkTAMjLy

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tae posted:

The .hack GU remaster+addition is on steam. I never played the GU series. Apparently the combat is actually action?

Yep, its still a playstation 2 era game, but its fun once you grind up some weapons, get into 2 or 3 and have multiple weapons to switch to on the fly and flip out like a whirling durbish of death.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The plot in GU is also really quite fun, if extremely shonen, and it has REALLY good music and an incredibly solid dub. It's just a nice solid game all around. Really good world building too, with the e-mails and news stories and the Terminal Disc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I did like the imageboard that would draw fanart of your characters, that was nice.

Also, the return of Piros.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Apparently the new version is a bit easier thanks to all the QOL changes. Not that it was very challenging to begin with.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mill Village posted:

Apparently the new version is a bit easier thanks to all the QOL changes. Not that it was very challenging to begin with.

Nah, but there is a in game cheat mode that you can access that isn't DLC if you just want to play a game and not care about anything. As well as a whole new "fourth game" after the end of the third.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Crabtree posted:

Nah, but there is a in game cheat mode that you can access that isn't DLC if you just want to play a game and not care about anything. As well as a whole new "fourth game" after the end of the third.

Unfortunately it's not really a fourth game, apparently. It's really more of a short 3 hour thing that is also extremely limited, just meant to tie up some loose ends and continue to tease the possibility of more .hack games forever. From what I hear of it, it could really have just been an OVA for how much it actually adds to the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Infinity Gaia posted:

it could really have just been an OVA for how much it actually adds to the game.

It was actually based on an OVA or short novel.

Also hearing that the .hack PC port's pretty bad.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Mokinokaro posted:

Can't be worse than the SAO:HR port, which is admittedly a very low bar to clear.

Why am I still playing this garbage game? Why is this garbage game so bizarrely addictive?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really enjoy LPs of games I played as a kid just for nostalgia.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mokinokaro posted:

The port seems to be hit or miss with some people, so I don't even know if its badly optimized across the board or they didn't exactly care to make sure a refurbished 10 year old game could play well with certain OSes and cards.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well obviously the game was only designed with Altimit operating systems in mind. :v:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 26, 2018

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

Well obviously the game was only designed with Altmit operating systems in mind. :v:

A reminder that in the world of .hack, a super virus destroyed the original internet and made people go to some new form of computer and OS system based off of Linux.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

GU combat is action yeah, but it's very simplistic and repetitive. and the damage formula is like terranigma, where if you are underleveled you do 1 damage and take 999 damage.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The person that created the virus too was a ten year old kid that was given the death penalty for creating it.

The President of the United States also resigned from office due the to the spread of the virus, though frankly these days that might be worth sacrificing the entire internet.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Polsy posted:

If they've played the game before and/or know what editing is, it'll be less tedious than playing it yourself. Which isn't even an RPG-specific bonus but it's likely to be more significant there.

That's true but the assumption I was working off was a typical youtube LP, so generally someone who's not played the game before (both the Lper, and the viewer), and frequently doesn't know how to edit. SA LPs are generally better about this, but then again I'd presume any SA lp would be a hybrid which fits what I said before.

I think I actually found some youtube LP of Nier 1 a while back that was edited pretty well, but then again I never would consider that game very long compared to other RPGs. Helped a lot in the side quests though.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Raxivace posted:

The person that created the virus too was a ten year old kid that was given the death penalty for creating it.

The President of the United States also resigned from office due the to the spread of the virus, though frankly these days that might be worth sacrificing the entire internet.

To be fair, it did not only destroy the stock market but almost cause a goddamn nuclear Apocalypse due to the missiles just being armed and randomly targeting everything, but still, murder a child for murdering the internet. President resigns in shame because of a random Pluto's Kiss Virus.

This super virus also destroyed the web page that was probably on loving Anglefire that crazy french woman who wrote a really tacky Poem, The Epitaph of Twilight, made to make sure that this BRILLIANT MASTERPIECE would be free to see for everyone. Another reason why super programmer Harold Hoerwick, had to make sure that his crazy crush's art lived on alongside their creepy AI child.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 4, 2017

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Sounds like a win-win, really.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If it just forced him to resign, that would be questionable.
Now if the computer virus infected him and we got to watch him slowly die on what was left of the internet now that I could get behind.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Okay maybe I'm done with Type 0. The story has a nice military theme and seems to be deep, but in reality it's like you're just getting little barely-connected vignettes, and I sort of realized I didn't really care how the story turned out. The battles were just way too finicky to be fun. I really wanted to like this because the story seemed cool, but the jank-rear end combat has completely turned me off.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Bought Persona 5 even though I am getting Ys 8 from Gamefly tomorrow. Elex is also on its way from there. It's pretty entertaining so far but I probably should've waited for an Xmas sale because I'll most likely switch over to Ys 8 and do Persona later. I tried playing Pillars Of Eternity last month and it was a loving novel. I am already reading some fantasy novels (Black Company series and The Book Of The New Sun) so I sent that back quickly. I had also rented Battle Chasers and I think I might come back to it in the future. It was fun and I enjoy the universe well enough.

Also I have no life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
elex is really good but its too buggy, i had to refund it :(