Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what it is... or are there more vehicles with that as a repair option? :stonk:

That's 100% what it is.

The only other shock mount repair kits I've seen are things like this that have such great features as "actual metal" and "yeah you should probably use bolts and not pop rivets"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
That's a strut tower repair kit.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

...sometimes I surprise even myself.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Roadkill has really made me hate where I live. There is nowhere that cool to drive for nearly a thousand miles from me.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what it is... or are there more vehicles with that as a repair option? :stonk:

Yea, maybe I worded it wrong, just wanted to point out that it wasn't some janky aftermarket solution, that it was indeed a janky Chrysler designed solution.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

`Nemesis posted:

janky Chrysler designed solution.

there are other kinds of Chrysler solutions?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i guess after all these years Toyota finally perfected their electric razer aesthetic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba15LZah7NX/

:swoon:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf62Gc8cNUs

Currently watching this, privately owned Back To The Future III DeLorean. Never knew they used Beetle running gear for the "action" car, but I suppose it's all simple, tough kit that will work properly for bashing about in a desert.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf62Gc8cNUs

Currently watching this, privately owned Back To The Future III DeLorean. Never knew they used Beetle running gear for the "action" car, but I suppose it's all simple, tough kit that will work properly for bashing about in a desert.

ACVW stuff was also DIRT cheap in the late eighties.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrYenko posted:

ACVW stuff was also DIRT cheap in the late eighties.
I remember they made a Beetle "Skyline" for the Fast & Furious films, too, for bashing down flights of steps etc.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well you know when Marty nearly missed the lightning strike because it wouldn't start? Yeah, they were a bit crap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thief posted:

i guess after all these years Toyota finally perfected their electric razer aesthetic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba15LZah7NX/

:swoon:

My gaze is always captured by the Nike swoosh drls

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I really, REALLY hate that grille design. It just ruins a whole bunch of cars for me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah i hate the new lexus grilles too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Koenigsegg Agera RS hits 284 mph

:stare:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

That's pretty fast, I guess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boo-ring. The Blue Bird did that in 1935 :cmon:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Must have some hella tall final drive. It does 190-250 in about the same amount of time it does 0-60.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It also went 0-248mph-0 in like 33 seconds on the same day.

e: There is another video from that day floating around, p sure it's just the 160 highway to Spring Mountain Raceway coming up from Vegas.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 5, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Godholio posted:

I really, REALLY hate that grille design. It just ruins a whole bunch of cars for me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

just
goddamn
When the driver actually floors it

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 5, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd love to see some outside tracking video. It'd look like that bit at the start of Cannonball Run where they used sped-up footage.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Godholio posted:

is it just a branding thing or what?

it'd be funny if someone did the exposed oil cooler thing and took advantage of the countless mounting options

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Thief posted:

is it just a branding thing or what?

it'd be funny if someone did the exposed oil cooler thing and took advantage of the countless mounting options

I'm picturing 14 randomly sized and shaped coolers with a rat's nest of hoses.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm picturing 14 randomly sized and shaped coolers with a rat's nest of hoses.
That would be if Bugatti decided they weren't being true to their French heritage.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

just
goddamn

When he walks on it after he's at 180MPH I just went :stare:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rigged Death Trap posted:

just
goddamn

When your braking signal is a kilometer from the finish you know you're moving.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

:catstare:

I’m the shift into sixth at 230MPH.

Jesus.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

two hundred and eighty four miles per hour

goddamn

Wonder what Bugatti is doing

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

slidebite posted:

When he walks on it after he's at 180MPH I just went :stare:

I sat there with my jaw hanging open because holyfuckingshit that was incredible.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

KakerMix posted:

two hundred and eighty four miles per hour

goddamn

Wonder what Bugatti is doing

Being very quiet since lately every time they brag about a record, Koenigsegg pokes them in the eye. They bragged about doing 0-400-0 in 40 someodd seconds in mid september on their fancy test track. 2 weeks later Koenigsegg did it on a decommissioned runway in crappy shape in the mid 30s. Bugatti stopped bragging about that spec immediately after. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Godholio posted:

They made it 'better'...

I read an interview with the dude that designed it and he struggled to say anything other that it was 'interesting' so it's safe to say that someone higher up asked them to do it.

Also in cooler news:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

just gonna leave these here

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Is the "slow" speedup just to make sure everything is cool and traction is ok? I don't get why he doesn't punch it until the second to last gear. Most top speed runs I've seen, they're on the gas the entire time and not putting around through 3/4 of the gears.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A car with the power to pull that hard through 230mph will probably very happily blow the loving tires off at 100mph.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Watch the 0-400kph-0 video if you want raw acceleration, this was purely a top speed run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1g07RpTPFE&t=105s

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

DiggityDoink posted:

Is the "slow" speedup just to make sure everything is cool and traction is ok? I don't get why he doesn't punch it until the second to last gear. Most top speed runs I've seen, they're on the gas the entire time and not putting around through 3/4 of the gears.

Probably so he doesn't crash and die.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You have to drive round most of Motegi Twin Ring circuit to get to the Honda museum...!!

https://jalopnik.com/the-honda-collection-hall-is-a-salute-to-ingenuity-and-1820141525

Also take a look at those cars and tell me with a straight face they make anything near as cool as any of those loving cars today.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

just gonna leave these here

There's a cool old VW shop in Kansas City with a yard full of old buses that has this hanging behind the register. My girlfriend spotted it and laughed for about five minutes straight at the pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MrYenko posted:

A car with the power to pull that hard through 230mph will probably very happily blow the loving tires off at 100mph.

I don't think they have proper traction control yet, which is kind of funny.