Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lockback posted:

ASRock's VRMs are really good, I think you might be confused as Asus had some power delivery issues. Many ASRock had Vdroop issues that was a software thing and I think there are Bios Updates now for everything, at least there are for the Extreme4. The AVX offset doesn't let you set it to 0, which is a PIA for benchmarking, but if you are overclocking you probably want some sort of offset anyway.

Other than the AVX offset thing, I've been pretty happy with the ASRock board I got for my 8700k. It's been really solid delivering what it's set at.

Yeah, I must have been mixed up there. I think I will see about getting an Extreme4 as well.

What RAM did you go with? I usually do Corsair LPX but more out of habit than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

My mouse went all crazy in the Asus BIOS screen, turns out removing the USB gamepad fixes it. What is even more stupid however is the Asus BIOS doesn't let me save and exit using just the keyboard.

Heh, my Gigabyte X79 board does something similar. The BIOS setup doesn't even load if I have my DualShock 4 plugged in when the system POSTs. Just sits at the loading screen forever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

priznat posted:

Yeah, I must have been mixed up there. I think I will see about getting an Extreme4 as well.

What RAM did you go with? I usually do Corsair LPX but more out of habit than anything.

I did a G.Skill 3600 8GBx2 kit after poking around and finding people saying it clocked pretty well. I didn't even check the Memory QVL here and of course it wasn't on it:
https://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Z370%20Extreme4/index.asp#Memory

But it works fine. I'd say look at the Parts picking thread for something to get. Don't feel like you need to get 4GHZ+ speed, but usually something around 3200 is a sweet spot.

Kazinsal posted:

Heh, my Gigabyte X79 board does something similar. The BIOS setup doesn't even load if I have my DualShock 4 plugged in when the system POSTs. Just sits at the loading screen forever.

Did you have that in the back or one of the front mounted USBs? My board wouldn't update from a front-USB and support told me to use the back and that worked. Could be something with how those ports get power...

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ihmemies posted:

I'm sure the mem prices will crash eventually. Personally I've always managed to time my upgrades so I've paid the highest mem mfg cartel price and next year the same stuff is sold for half the price.

When I bought my 920 and x58, I paid like $400-$600 for 3x2GB of ddr3-2100. A year later the same set was selling for like $150/$200.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

SlayVus posted:

When I bought my 920 and x58, I paid like $400-$600 for 3x2GB of ddr3-2100. A year later the same set was selling for like $150/$200.

My story is nearly the same. Except it was 300€ for 1333Mhz... Next year 150€. I wish I had bought faster :)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

repiv posted:

don't bring a sword to a gunfight :smuggo:

These look like they're for edgy teens, but the first one looks like a box of crayons

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I love those in an awful garbage way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Apacer is the king of gun-ifying Pc stuff, mostly drives and DIMMs

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apacer-pt920-commando-nvme-ssd,5157.html

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Sinestro posted:

I love those in an awful garbage way.

tbf it's kind of hard to build a pc that doesn't look like something you'd find in an office without slipping into a bit of gamery bullshit so you might as well go the whole hog

and tbf i will never, ever see the surface of the motherboard unless i'm fiddling with upgrades or if something's gone wrong (gently caress case windows), so might as well give me something to laugh at while i'm rooting around the inside of the case

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
NZXT S340 without a window would be sweet.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

NZXT S340 without a window would be sweet.

I'm still using an Antec SX1030 from 2001 for my main computer. I could just never justify replacing it cause its fine!

Sure it weights 50lbs and its from before front panel audio/usb or 120mm fans like... existed..

But its got a KEY!!!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

I bought one of these at about the same time as you did because it was what Alienware or Falcon were using in those days. I was so happy to finally replace it in 2013. It's nice to not have a computer that weighs a ton.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jesus, I had one of those with fan holes cut all over it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cygni posted:

I'm still using an Antec SX1030 from 2001 for my main computer. I could just never justify replacing it cause its fine!

Sure it weights 50lbs and its from before front panel audio/usb or 120mm fans like... existed..

But its got a KEY!!!!

Something most people don't find out until they've owned both: heavier cases are *quieter*.

And I actually kinda miss lockable power buttons, even though most people leave their computers on these days.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Something most people don't find out until they've owned both: heavier cases are *quieter*.

And I actually kinda miss lockable power buttons, even though most people leave their computers on these days.

Exception: heavier cases with a bank of 80mm fans are most certainly not quiet

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Point.

Still doesn't change that if you really want to cut noise in your case down, stick a 5-10lb weight on the bottom and use rubber feet/lay it on a cheap rubber doormat.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wrap a steel ingot in a towel and put it on my NAS because it vibrates just enough that I hear a hum through the house unless I hold it down.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The Thermaltake Suppressor series are very quiet, have an enormous amount of fan/radiator mounts, have a relatively subtle/contemporary styling, and up until recently they offered versions with no window on the side panel (this version could even mount an extra fan on the side panel). They do a really good job damping all the vibrations and they have anechoic padding everywhere.

The F51 comes with a front 200mm fan as stock. I'm used to 120mm or 140mm fans, that thing is loving enormous. :stare:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 4, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Thermaltake Suppressor series are very quiet, have an enormous amount of fan/radiator mounts, have a relatively subtle/contemporary styling, and up until recently they offered versions with no window on the side panel. They do a really good job damping all the vibrations and they have anechoic padding everywhere.

The F51 comes with a front 200mm fan as stock. I'm used to 120mm or 140mm fans, that thing is loving enormous. :stare:

I'd almost be curious if a 200-240mm fan might actually be a detriment because the bigger the fan, the larger the potential dead zone in the middle. I know airflow is airflow, but *targeted* airflow is best.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Point.

Still doesn't change that if you really want to cut noise in your case down, stick a 5-10lb weight on the bottom and use rubber feet/lay it on a cheap rubber doormat.

I didn't realize how much of a difference that could make. I put a rubber stair riser under my PC because I was worried about dust; I was thinking about getting rid of it since it's not been a big problem but if it's helping I'll leave it!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Arivia posted:

I didn't realize how much of a difference that could make. I put a rubber stair riser under my PC because I was worried about dust; I was thinking about getting rid of it since it's not been a big problem but if it's helping I'll leave it!

Like craig and sincx hinted at - a lot of 'fan noise' is the resonance they transmit to the body/metal of your case. If the metal is denser/thicker, it's not as susceptible to it. You're never going to eliminate fan noise entirely, but if you can cut down on resonance by weight and rubber/silicon-mounting both the case and the fans themselves, you can cut down on that 'whine' that most people find the most grating aspect of 'computer noise.'

Some people go even more insane and line their cases with sound dampening material which not only cuts resonance, but adds weight, which also cuts resonance. A lot of people don't do themselves any favors with case windows, because the ultra-thin plastic/lucite they use is *terrible* for vibration.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was never a case window kind of guy before (they suck for sound isolation too) but I must say I do like the look of the tempered glass side ones, like from phanteks. I hear they give great sound isolation too.

I wouldn't go LED crazy on the innards or anything, the case just is pretty slick with the full glass sides.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Now I just slap the biggest heatsinks on, and put everything in a case that's pretty much mesh so it can run passive until decently loaded. No case fans. When it's loaded enough to spin the CPU fans up, they cool the vrms and ram too.

I think the only time I heard even a faint fan noise was playing Doom, but I don't mind then. Temps are good even on non delidded skylake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And I'm going to use this Air 540 until it falls apart. I mitigated the vibration from the window by putting stuff on top of it. But once you go side-mounted, you never go back. No HSF or GPU sag, ever.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Now I just slap the biggest heatsinks on, and put everything in a case that's pretty much mesh so it can run passive until decently loaded. No case fans. When it's loaded enough to spin the CPU fans up, they cool the vrms and ram too.

I think the only time I heard even a faint fan noise was playing Doom, but I don't mind then. Temps are good even on non delidded skylake.

These days I am all about positive pressure. I have filters on my inlets to keep pet hair out of my case, and the air forces itself out of the cracks/whatever. Doesn't take much pressure, iirc hospitals run negative-pressure rooms at like a hundredth or a thousandth of a PSI. Mesh panels are an active impediment to that.

I really need to replace my stock 140mm radiator fans though, they are getting noisy. What is the best choice there for a 140mm static pressure fan with low noise?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

These days I am all about positive pressure. I have filters on my inlets to keep pet hair out of my case, and the air forces itself out of the cracks/whatever. Doesn't take much pressure, iirc hospitals run negative-pressure rooms at like a hundredth or a thousandth of a PSI. Mesh panels are an active impediment to that.

I really need to replace my stock 140mm radiator fans though, they are getting noisy. What is the best choice there for a 140mm static pressure fan with low noise?

ML140s (specifically the Pros) are known for being both a good static pressure fan with good performance and low noise - you can save a little money going with the 140mm non-Pro two-pack on Amazon, but the Pros come equipped with rubber vibration dampers, which is nice to have up against a finned metal radiator.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cygni posted:

But its got a KEY!!!!

My dad is still rocking that case for his computer right now. We bought it back then so we could retire our Inwin Q500, which I later decided to use for the computer in my room. Thing is still going strong, probably because it's a giant hunk of metal

Nothing better than lugging a mid-90s full-atx tower with 4 ATA hard drives and 2 optical drives to a LAN party

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I'm using Silverstone Raven 02, with three 180mm intake fans for positive pressure. I ran the case for 5 years without ever cleaning it, except fan filters. Motherboard and all components were basically dust-free, there was a little bit of dust in some places of the case but it took only like a minute or two to blow& wipe away. Seems good.

The case lays on some kind of packaging material to stop the fan echo from my wooden desk. I have 4mm bitumen? carpets on side panels some other surfaces to add weight, and 4cm bitumen/foam on front and back. It is heavy as gently caress but still a regular 7200rpm drive will cause it to resonate, so I've suspended it with two elastic bands.

Now with Maximus X Hero motherboard, the computer is actually pretty quiet thanks to better fan controls. Cpu fan at 200rpm and case fans around 500 (DC, so they won't go any lower). The case fans move around 10cfm per 100rpm. After tweaking fan curves, the only thing which keeps noise in gaming and regular use is the mechanic HDD's clicking and gpu fans. Asus strix gtx 970 has very loud fans. Maybe I should try to adjust the fan curve to allow it to go over 70C? By default it apparently aims for around 65C.

The PC is in a corner of concrete room. Would it help to reduce the echo from fans if I added some sound absorbent panels to walls? I have no idea how to place them though :)

E: Oh uh sorry this was an intel thread :F

E2: Out of curiousity, Noctua NF-A14 moves 82cfm at 1500rpm so these ap181 fans do the same at 800rpm. Of course they're quite loud at that point already. No idea about the loudness of Noctua'd fan at full speed.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Nov 4, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Ihmemies posted:

E: Oh uh sorry this was an intel thread :F

We occasionally talk about weird poo poo in here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ihmemies posted:

I'm using Silverstone Raven 02, with three 180mm intake fans for positive pressure. I ran the case for 5 years without ever cleaning it, except fan filters. Motherboard and all components were basically dust-free, there was a little bit of dust in some places of the case but it took only like a minute or two to blow& wipe away. Seems good.

Seriously positive pressure is the poo poo. I have been running my S340 mid-tower build without touching it at all for like 1.5 years and there's only a very slight dusting in there despite having 3-4 furball machines running around the house. Some of whom like to sleep on it... I end up cleaning the front filter about once a year when I notice my temps climbing. My AIO and the case have been in continuous service from a previous PC for 3 years and I've never blown the dust out. I consider this to be an absolutely unmitigated success in terms of :effort:. My temps have always been insanely reasonable. With my 4690K or my overclocked 5820K 6-core on a 140mm AIO I rarely break 60C except with Prime95, and my GPUs have operated at like 75C absolute tops under load even with a (in succession) 280X, 780 Ti FE, 780 Ti Classified, 980 Ti Classified, and 1080 FE.

(I like to buy on firesale, I ain't scared of no power bill.)

It is like the easy-mode of building. All fans on input, except for maybe one on top. Add filters on the input fans. Clean filters once per year. You're done.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 4, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cygni posted:

But its got a KEY!!!!

My first homebuilt was a Lian Li PC-60 in 2001 IIRC, and I paid the seller extra to cut a window and 120mm blowhole in it.

I've still got it, though it hasn't had a build inside it for at least 7 years. Funniest part is that I was kinda worried about spending that much on a computer case because at the time there was some "omg ATX form factor is dying!" sentiment.

I've since bought four more ATX cases, all of which cost substantially more than the Lian Li.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately, I own this motherboard because it was the only mITX one with dual m.2's at launch.

As my finger can tell you, every lovely motherboard is inspired by the cutting edge of the sharpest katana.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

canyoneer posted:

The first new computer I ever bought came inside one of these, but yellow:

It's standard ATX and I kinda still love it, but at 30lb without anything inside and with 5 80mm fan mounts I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to seriously use it again. Maybe I should break out a Dremel and try to do a 120mm conversion in the back, or just get a bunch of Noctuas and a fan controller.

The actual computer still works too, but Socket 478/Pentium M is even longer in the tooth than 80mm fans I think. I booted it up on Windows 10 and then gave Skyrim and WoW a few minutes each just so I could see what was possible, but I couldn't think of an actual use for a desktop that is slower than my cell phone so it's sitting in an antistatic bag now.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 4, 2017

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Eletriarnation posted:

The first new computer I ever bought came inside one of these, but yellow:

It's standard ATX and I kinda still love it, but at 30lb without anything inside and with 5 80mm fan mounts I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to seriously use it again. Maybe I should break out a Dremel and try to do a 120mm conversion in the back, or just get a bunch of Noctuas and a fan controller.

The actual computer still works too, but Socket 478/Pentium M is even longer in the tooth than 80mm fans I think. I booted it up on Windows 10 and then gave Skyrim and WoW a few minutes each just so I could see what was possible, but I couldn't think of an actual use for a desktop that is slower than my cell phone so it's sitting in an antistatic bag now.

Ha! I just built a system with one of these:

The factory custom-loop water-cooled version of the one you have. I bought it at a thrift store for $75, they couldn't figure out how to add coolant so it overheated right away. I chucked in a used 4790K/mobo and eBay 980ti w/waterblock, and it sits cheerfully under the desk just like in 2006.

In today's mITX world, it's just so cheesy and unfashionable I had to do it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have been running my S340 mid-tower build without touching it at all for like 1.5 years

Glad to hear the S340 is solid because I just blew a bunch of money to get the S340 elite hyper beast imported from the UK. I got s/n 3/1337 :smugmrgw:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

scrubs season six posted:

My first homebuilt was a Lian Li PC-60 in 2001 IIRC, and I paid the seller extra to cut a window and 120mm blowhole in it.

I've still got it, though it hasn't had a build inside it for at least 7 years. Funniest part is that I was kinda worried about spending that much on a computer case because at the time there was some "omg ATX form factor is dying!" sentiment.

I've since bought four more ATX cases, all of which cost substantially more than the Lian Li.

:lol:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

zip drive, live drive AND an LCD fan controller?? :worship:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Cygni posted:

But its got a KEY!!!!

Yeah that's what my first built PC and first actual gaming PC was in, it had an Athlon 1.4GHz overclocked to 1.8GHz and the GeForce 3 which had just been released at the time. Was a hell of an upgrade from a lovely Celeron 366 with integrated graphics.