Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

To the :c00l:
Astralis takes 4th, SK goes the distance. All is right with the world :sigh:

Wonder what happened with Faze though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
the plow happened to faze

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Faze's losses were to SK and VP and they took a map off each of them.

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

Dazed is stepping down from playing competitively. Lucky he had an army of screaming children calling for him to be unbanned.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

honestly GX is probably gonna be 10 times better with witmer than dazed. Dazed can't awp at even a premier level and his "strats" were basically just running defaults and hoping that brax or dapr made a nutty play.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
So they changed the way sound is calculated I guess and now everything that happens on the other side of a doorway sounds like it's been pressed through mud or something. It gives me a loving headache.

Who are these people that insist on making pointless lovely changes that nobody asked for

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The last time people complained about sound is when they introduced HRTF. People complained that it sounded murky, and at first, it did. But three games in you realized it led to better positioning.

The same thing will happen with this update. It's a step to make better positional audio so maps like Nuke aren't even more dogshit to play than they already are.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I like the new sound and I especially like that it's been standardized for everyone, but I think they could both stand to tone down the muffling a little bit and also put this kind of stuff on the beta branch before introducing it directly into the game

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Audax posted:

The last time people complained about sound is when they introduced HRTF. People complained that it sounded murky, and at first, it did. But three games in you realized it led to better positioning.

The same thing will happen with this update. It's a step to make better positional audio so maps like Nuke aren't even more dogshit to play than they already are.

I actually liked the HRTF when it was first introduced, but this new implementation makes it much harder for me to tell where weapons are being fired from if they're behind walls. I understand that it's somewhere near me, but I can't pinpoint where they could be like I was able to.

I've already played a few games with it and have gotten used to it and for now I can't say that I'm a fan of it.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

SealHammer posted:

Who are these people that insist on making pointless lovely changes that nobody asked for

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This Boston minor found the most generic electronic music they could for their stream

yolandi
Jul 3, 2014

Their community engagement has gotten a lot better of late I feel. Also most people are retards and valve is one of the most successful software dev companies of all time so there's also that.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I feel like the game has been fundamentally mismanaged on a macro level during its lifespan. I don't see Valve as devs, simply caretakers for intellectual property that they aren't personally invested in. That grants it the full weight of their massive :10bux: but equally means they have no desire or passion to improve it. I don't see any evidence of vision for the game or a willingness to actually develop it for the better.

Most of their wackydoodle interventions have been either neutral or detrimental, and now they don't bother at all.

The eSports success that the game has enjoyed was built on the league structures, organisations, and broadcast talent that was pre-existent and from the grassroots. Even despite the lack of support from Valve, it is still probably the best out there in terms of viewer experience. If they had ever fulfilled their promises about bringing in pros to help them build the game from the ground up, or made even token efforts to engage with the community, the game could honestly have grown far larger than it has today. They should have taken a far more active role in partnering to create events, in building a matchmaking system that didn't suck balls and actually had a meaningful place in the game. They seemed perfectly happy that the entire playerbase that would enter their Minor/Major system had no use for their MM system at all, and instead relied on 3rd party systems. Which is a joke for a company of their size.

Changes to the map pool consists of rehashing existing maps. They have irregular operations which suck extremely. They have legacy gamemodes for casual players that are worse than even lovely server mods created by 15 year olds circa 2008.

New player and veteran player experience is poo poo, and hasn't improved any more than a handful of QoL changes in 5 years. When I quit (never really quit) to play a game with less time commitment (Overwatch), I was blown away by how much better their system was. Blizzard are fluffy, pathetic control freaks who mollycoddle their audience, have a bunch of retarded treadmill mechanics, and are not who you want running a shooter game. Yet despite that, and despite the vastly inferior mechanics of the game (imo), the MM experience was just so much more fluid and user friendly than CS it just depressed me. I went seamlessly from being average as hell to knocking heads with legitimate pro players in their system. I could have taken part in a nation cup, they built a league structure that was a perfect ladder for people to climb. There was support for solo and teams. Plus, they had side game modes that were fun distractions and distinct, rather than a waste of time.

Anyway, that was a good rant for a game I don't play anymore.

Jeza fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 4, 2017

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

But overwatch isn't fun??????

surc
Aug 17, 2004

if you playin overwatch I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but esea ain't one

E: like seriously overwatch is poo poo, csgo has bad MM but there are solutions which you mention in your post which make it way more fun, and community servers are still fun and I hope you're okay because this seems like an abrupt rupture after years of essentially the same poo poo for cs; obviously there are plenty of idiots playing cs just find a good community to play it with.

Also lol if you think overwatch MM is in any way better than csgo MM, you're gonna be posting the same poo poo about overwatch after playing it for a while.

Also also, lol if your criteria is "I went from being average to knocking heads with pros in mm seamlessly" for a good game. A low skill ceiling does not equal a good game.

surc fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 4, 2017

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

lol if you think that Overwatch's MM is vastly better then CSGO.

I too like to play a game where going on a losing streak drops me into a hole that will take weeks to climb out of.

The best thing CSGO ever did was not show you what your ELO is or what influences it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Overwatch is real fun though? I can make a mad scientist boy shoot grenades over a wall at a ballet dancing sniper.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Overwatch team fights look awfully similar to WoW raids last I checked

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’m relatively new to MM - what is wrong with CSGO’s matchmaking system? Is it that everyone is playing on esea? What caused that migration? I’m still in silver, without prime, and have so far had a super positive experience solo queuing in MM (no cheaters yet). Do things get worse as I climb the ranks?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
People are just mad cause bad.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I haven't played OW for many months. I wasn't making a comment about its gameplay, which I said was inferior to CS in my experience, simply that its matchmaking is actually integral to the game and a seamless path for players to walk to the highest echelons of the game, if they choose. The whole thing is streamlined and built into the structures they are building to try and make it eSport-y, though they may be forever handicapped by the game being kind of mushy to play unlike CS.

MM in CSGO was rife with cheaters, partially improved by Prime but still infinitely worse than services like ESEA with their invasive anti-cheat. The actual top of the MM pyramid in-game is actually just a stepping off point for good players. Getting GE is just like, you must be this tall to ride when playing the higher levels of ESEA or Faceit. The servers are awful, which is a huge reason why 3rd party sites can exist, and it drives the competitive scene outside of the game.

Ask any good player left in this thread, if there are any, and see how often their MM rank has expired from inactivity, or that they just play one game per month to keep it. It's just bad game design. The game itself, to play, is great. Of course it is. That's hardly credit to Valve, it's been a loving fun formula of a game for almost 20 years. I've played for over a decade myself.

Either way, I said I quit due to time commitments (and also because the people I play with retired), and that will kill enthusiasm for any game you've played for a long stretch. It's not a bash of the game. But I was responding to the idea that Valve have been a responsive and good developer. They haven't. They've taken care of the game, but barely improved it in its entire lifespan (not including the massively needed overhaul in 2012-3). The amount of attention lavished on DotA 2, their sister flagship title, is embarrassing in comparison.

This game is just going to very slowly sink down the whirlpool, which is a natural course for any game. But it sinks a loving lot faster when there's no incentive to come back and play it, no real fresh content. It took them EIGHT MONTHS to re-release a map that was already in the game.

To surc in particular, community servers are nothing to do with Valve, who in fact did their best to shunt that poo poo to the sidelines with the game's lovely UI. ESEA is great to play, but my point is not that ESEA is or isn't good, it's that it's loving retarded that you have to PAY a different company to get a good 5v5 experience. It's not how a AAA title should be run, and Valve should and could have put ESEA out of business years ago if they cared at all. As to the "low skill ceiling" thing in OW, that's a big comment to unpack. It's true-ish, at least I think OW has a lower skill ceiling. But there are tonnes of unique characters to play, and the game was <1 year old when I was playing, so of course, the road to getting near the top of the playerbase was much shorter than for a game like CS with piles of hardened multi-year players. The point was that new players, average players, good players, the best players all coexist on the same platform.

OW may be worse than CS gameplay wise for somebody with my taste in games. But this discussion was about devs, and I see vision and passion for the people behind OW. I see a bunch of people happy to let CS:GO tick over ad infinitum at Valve.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

giogadi posted:

I’m relatively new to MM - what is wrong with CSGO’s matchmaking system? Is it that everyone is playing on esea? What caused that migration? I’m still in silver, without prime, and have so far had a super positive experience solo queuing in MM (no cheaters yet). Do things get worse as I climb the ranks?

When you get to the upper end of it its just wretched with cheaters. Like last week I think on the csgo reddit a supreme guy living in Europe posted his last ten games and in 9 of them there was at least one guy cheating. Faceit isn't as intrusive as ESEA so its not as good but you don't get nearly as many shady dipshits making genius reads off zero information. It can really get absolutely disgusting when you're putting like 40 minutes into a match at a time and if you play like 3 matches and took the time to warm up for 10 minutes or whatever you're evening is just gone being a bot for some tiny dick rear end in a top hat trying to prove himself. The valve matching maybe because its doesn't have as smooth a curve as Jeza says Overwatch's has you end up with just a lot of people who 100% do not give a poo poo, are actively throwing, have nothing to say ever because they're still tilted from their last or should never have been placed in the server with people who can routinely poo poo on them. Anyone who cares is on third party already. And if you're bad when you get there you get better or leave. I don't like paying the sub just because it feels like I'm wasting my money like people who join a gym who and never go but that's a me thing.

I haven't played in a while either but I'm doubting the experience got better. I have no idea what the solution is either and I have no idea how much or how little valve puts into the game. I'm fine with or was fine with the amount of maps but in general I think they put too much into looks and not enough into function. Like offhand those stupid bits of arch you can get stuck on in mirage.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Goofballs posted:

When you get to the upper end of it its just wretched with cheaters. Like last week I think on the csgo reddit a supreme guy living in Europe posted his last ten games and in 9 of them there was at least one guy cheating. Faceit isn't as intrusive as ESEA so its not as good but you don't get nearly as many shady dipshits making genius reads off zero information. It can really get absolutely disgusting when you're putting like 40 minutes into a match at a time and if you play like 3 matches and took the time to warm up for 10 minutes or whatever you're evening is just gone being a bot for some tiny dick rear end in a top hat trying to prove himself. The valve matching maybe because its doesn't have as smooth a curve as Jeza says Overwatch's has you end up with just a lot of people who 100% do not give a poo poo, are actively throwing, have nothing to say ever because they're still tilted from their last or should never have been placed in the server with people who can routinely poo poo on them. Anyone who cares is on third party already. And if you're bad when you get there you get better or leave. I don't like paying the sub just because it feels like I'm wasting my money like people who join a gym who and never go but that's a me thing.

I haven't played in a while either but I'm doubting the experience got better. I have no idea what the solution is either and I have no idea how much or how little valve puts into the game. I'm fine with or was fine with the amount of maps but in general I think they put too much into looks and not enough into function. Like offhand those stupid bits of arch you can get stuck on in mirage.

Thanks a lot for the insight! That stinks about cheaters in the higher levels - is there any point to looking into ESEA/Faceit at my rank, or should I wait until later? I was playing with a goon last night who suggested that playing with silvers is a terrible way to get better, but I also don't want to poo poo up PUGs; otherwise I'll keep up with MM until the cheating gets prevalent, and try to join in on more goonmans.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeza posted:

To surc in particular, community servers are nothing to do with Valve, who in fact did their best to shunt that poo poo to the sidelines with the game's lovely UI. ESEA is great to play, but my point is not that ESEA is or isn't good, it's that it's loving retarded that you have to PAY a different company to get a good 5v5 experience. It's not how a AAA title should be run, and Valve should and could have put ESEA out of business years ago if they cared at all. As to the "low skill ceiling" thing in OW, that's a big comment to unpack. It's true-ish, at least I think OW has a lower skill ceiling. But there are tonnes of unique characters to play, and the game was <1 year old when I was playing, so of course, the road to getting near the top of the playerbase was much shorter than for a game like CS with piles of hardened multi-year players. The point was that new players, average players, good players, the best players all coexist on the same platform.

OW may be worse than CS gameplay wise for somebody with my taste in games. But this discussion was about devs, and I see vision and passion for the people behind OW. I see a bunch of people happy to let CS:GO tick over ad infinitum at Valve.

I don't in any way disagree with you about MM being poo poo in CSGO, or that Valve could have done a good job with it and did not because they don't want to put in the time or money. My comments come from the fact that Valve's MM is not, and has never been, "The System" for playing CS. Counter-Strike has always lived and died by its community servers and third party systems. That's all the game was from Alpha through Source, that's where the communities of good players and pros came up.
Counter-Strike is not a AAA game. Valve doesn't pour the money into development, or into marketing, to make it qualify as AAA. Almost all the publicity and effort has come from those third party companies and services, or the community itself.

You're comparing a system where the community and method of play was centered around it from the start of the game with Overwatch, to a thing that Valve tacked on like 15 years after the game was designed and released with Counter-Strike. It's silly to do so, even if Valve dropped the ball hard when they tacked it on.
You're not comparing the actual systems for playing the games, you're comparing what Valve likes to pretend is the system so they can take ownership and credit for the game. (This is also why I was real gamer-outraged when CSGO came out and valve wanted $30 for it, because it's not really their game.)

In my mind, the real problem is what you hit in the first line of your response, that the UI is so focused on pointing new players to MM, and hiding community servers much more.

I also think having un-moderated MM as the focus rather than community servers (or services) which usually had active admins has served to encourage a lot of the lovely aspects of the Counter-Strike player-base to grow and become worse.

Also, I was just kind of being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat because it was late into my Friday night.

surc fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 4, 2017

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

giogadi posted:

Thanks a lot for the insight! That stinks about cheaters in the higher levels - is there any point to looking into ESEA/Faceit at my rank, or should I wait until later? I was playing with a goon last night who suggested that playing with silvers is a terrible way to get better, but I also don't want to poo poo up PUGs; otherwise I'll keep up with MM until the cheating gets prevalent, and try to join in on more goonmans.

I wouldn't worry about cheating at silver level. Your worst case scenario is guys from higher ranks on new accounts deciding to have some fun with you but its probably way less common than it was and possibly educational if you look at what they did to you in the demo viewer. When you get into the eagles its time to go third party but thats a ways off.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
if you're like me you can just immediately get esea and through a series of fluke calibration matches end up at B+

surc
Aug 17, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

if you're like me you can just immediately get esea and through a series of fluke calibration matches end up at B+

Don't do this though.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

ThePeavstenator posted:

Have you actually played ESEA since being ranked?

meeler09
May 24, 2007
Csgo owns because I can play shitfaced every weekend with my friends in silver 5, while getting 30 kills and losing. I almost want to buy a second account to see if I'm a bad teammate or not.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
You probably are just baiting your teammates and getting kills after the round is already lost if you aren't ever winning with your friends in silver; either that or your friends just run in constantly and die immediately.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I'm a notorious master baiter, but the secret to getting to global by baiting is to just redefine it as trading kills

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I've been playing a lot of ESEA as of late and I'm really beginning to see an improvement in my overall gameplay. Here's a few clips from some pugs I tore up earlier this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rvagx5pTZY

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I kind of want to get back in to playing a little bit so I've invested in a Zowie ec2-a to replace my fourth (fifth?) dying Rival and give me some external motivation

For some reason I love the rival but geez how are they still unable to sort out their sensor issues after all this time

nice

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
This sensor issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93MzP8aZew. Not sure why anyone would voluntarily use a Rival, that happened to me multiple times every match.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Smol posted:

This sensor issue? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v93MzP8aZew. Not sure why anyone would voluntarily use a Rival, that happened to me multiple times every match.

That's the one! Happened to all my rivals eventually and to one of them straight out of the package. It owns!

I like the shape, feel and weight, but it has to be battered wife syndrome that has kept me coming back when it consistently fails atleast once per match

stump collector
May 28, 2007
it happens on the new ones too, went to lan with a buddy and that poo poo started at the event and he was blindsided

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I got a Rival for Christmas last year and never had that happen. Must be just some production runs.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
It's a tilt/slam issue, most 3310 sensors have that problem. 3360 should have solved it. He's lifting his mouse then slamming it down at an angle.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Audax posted:

It's a tilt/slam issue, most 3310 sensors have that problem. 3360 should have solved it. He's lifting his mouse then slamming it down at an angle.

I don't know, Flusha may be my idol but I don't think I lift my mouse all that much. If anything I don't lift my mouse to readjust my grip enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Yeah it sometimes happens when you flick and lift your mouse to reposition it (e.g. rotate 90-180 degrees and lift the mouse back to the center of the mousepad). Probably happened more to me than some since I have a relatively low sensitivity. Never had the same problem with my other mice (ZA11/FK2), but they’re much smaller & lighter, so perhaps I just use them differently. Idk what sensors they even use.

Smol fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 6, 2017