Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

SimonCat posted:

Because they are a corporation and they will lose business by not saving him time. You've taken a very odd stance where you seem to think the customer owes something to the corporation.

Nobody owes anyone anything which is what I was pointing out to you by reversing your statement.

On it's face this is a success of capitalism. They didn't meet his standards so he didn't give them money.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
In a few years someone will post about a store refusing to turn the lights on and they’ll be berated as bourgie scum for thinking they’re too good to carry their own flashlight.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snorkzilla posted:

I just loaded up a cart full to the top with my monthly grocery shopping at Meijer. ... This was at 6:00 AM on a Saturday. ... I can use a self checkout obviously but I don't feel like I should have to. The checkouts at this store are notoriously unreliable with scale issues. Maybe this explains why I was only one of two customers in the entire store.

Normal people don't try to run a full cart of groceries at 6 am on a Saturday. The reason there was only one other customer in the store is it was 6 AM on a Saturday. Hell a lot of supermarkets don't bother to open at all until like 7, 8, 9 AM on a weekend morning.

SimonCat posted:

Because they are a corporation and they will lose business by not saving him time.

But they won't lose money. So why should they care?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

A more reasonable thing to do (besides not shop once a month for groceries JFC how much sodium and noodles are in your diet) is to grab a manager to have them clarify or fix the problem. This is the exact reason they exist and there will always be one there

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I'm not a luddite, I have a degree in software design and a job in industrial robotics. That doesn't mean I can somehow make the self checkout not a piece of poo poo. You literally have to run back and forth on this thing making sure stuff is on/off the scale at the end properly and for what id bought I would have to bag every couple minutes. All while the produce scale is loving horrible and the scanner isn't great either.

I do once a month grocery shopping while the farmer market is open. Dry goods mostly on the monthly shop. Bread and milk on the weekly shop, produce from the farmers market.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

glowing-fish posted:

Ah, in Washington State, where I lived, it was really limited (but not in a bad way). Like Vancouver, Washington with a population of 180,000 people has 18 stores total. (Some of which are under the same management). Like each store is big and organized and they look well run. Like its concentrated in a few locations, rather than anyone being able to open a marijuana store on the corner.

Worth noting that this seems to have been relaxed a bit? They are all over the loving place in Tacoma and Seattle. Almost as ubiquitous as Starbucks now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Snorkzilla posted:

You literally have to run back and forth on this thing making sure stuff is on/off the scale at the end properly and for what id bought I would have to bag every couple minutes. All while the produce scale is loving horrible and the scanner isn't great either.

Our ancestors had to hunt and gather, but I'm sure bagging your own groceries is a somewhat similar burden.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I work at a museum that's free to the public. Just about every time I have to man the visitor services desk I have at least one argument with someone who is deeply, deeply insulted that the security guard wouldn't let them take their coffee cups or water bottles into the galleries with them, even though they promised not to spill. I've even had people storm out saying that we (again, a museum that is free to the public) just lost a customer. Sorry, madam, but those antiquities are worth a whole hell of a lot more than you and your Starbucks are

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

I work at a museum that's free to the public. Just about every time I have to man the visitor services desk I have at least one argument with someone who is deeply, deeply insulted that the security guard wouldn't let them take their coffee cups or water bottles into the galleries with them, even though they promised not to spill. I've even had people storm out saying that we (again, a museum that is free to the public) just lost a customer. Sorry, madam, but those antiquities are worth a whole hell of a lot more than you and your Starbucks are

Ok... what does this have to do with providing free labor to a grocery store?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SimonCat posted:

I don't know, but you're demanding the grocery store worker prefer extra free labor to the store beyond what they're obligated to do under their normal work terms, at 6 in the goddamn morning. That seems pretty hosed up to me.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ozmunkeh posted:

In a few years someone will post about a store refusing to turn the lights on and they’ll be berated as bourgie scum for thinking they’re too good to carry their own flashlight.

The Target closest to my office has a big sign at the entrance saying that half of the lights are turned off on purpose and it's to help the environment.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

SimonCat posted:

Just that a non-insignificant portion of the population are spoiled, unreasonable assholes who expect to be constantly catered to, I suppose.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Just LOL at the idea that I shouldn't shop at 6:00 am. I prefer shopping while the store is quiet. If meijer doesn't want people to come in then they should be closed. Or at least hang a sign outside that customer service is unavailable while the sun is down.

I wasn't in any rush, the dude could have gotten someone else to help or whatever he needed to do to get a register open. He could have been willing to stand nearby while every second item on the self scanner required him to come by and reset it. This is literally what happened. I got 6 items scanned and he had to hit the reset at his station three times and each time I had to get his attention to get him to do it. I asked him if we could use a regular register, he told me no and went back to his station. So I left and told him my cart would need put back.

I voted with my wallet and will never return. I can buy dry goods and staples on Amazon.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'd rather have a hangnail operation than have to scan an entire month's worth of groceries on a self-checkout machine.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I actually like the self checkouts... If they work correctly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
𝚄𝙽𝙴𝚇𝙿𝙴𝙲𝚃𝙴𝙳 𝙸𝚃𝙴𝙼 𝙸𝙽 𝙱𝙰𝙶𝙶𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙰𝚁𝙴𝙰
𝙿𝙻𝙴𝙰𝚂𝙴 𝚆𝙰𝙸𝚃 𝙵𝙾𝚁 𝙰𝚂𝚂𝙸𝚂𝚃𝙰𝙽𝙲𝙴

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Snorkzilla posted:

Just LOL at the idea that I shouldn't shop at 6:00 am. I prefer shopping while the store is quiet. If meijer doesn't want people to come in then they should be closed. Or at least hang a sign outside that customer service is unavailable while the sun is down.

I wasn't in any rush, the dude could have gotten someone else to help or whatever he needed to do to get a register open. He could have been willing to stand nearby while every second item on the self scanner required him to come by and reset it. This is literally what happened. I got 6 items scanned and he had to hit the reset at his station three times and each time I had to get his attention to get him to do it. I asked him if we could use a regular register, he told me no and went back to his station. So I left and told him my cart would need put back.

I voted with my wallet and will never return. I can buy dry goods and staples on Amazon.

This is the exact situation where you find a manager! And if they refuse THEN you walk out. This just sounds like you ran into a lovely employee.

Coincidentally Wal-Mart tried to run stores with really low numbers of cashiers and the theft rate was so high they had to bring them back

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The best thing you can do as a person is tell some unhinged jackass to shut up when they're doing it.

I do it every time I see someone berating someone at a retail store

It's probably happened like 3 times it still feels good

I like to go with "goddamn nobody cares" and it usually makes it 10x worse/funnier

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

In my area, you either have the choice to use the full size self checkout aisles where you scan, slide, and bag everything yourself (including taking breaks to bag things to put them in the cart because the checkout was backed up), or you can go to one of the two human staffed checkouts that despite being there for the sole purpose of checking things out are at least 3x slower than you doing it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Doctor Butts posted:

In my area, you either have the choice to use the full size self checkout aisles where you scan, slide, and bag everything yourself (including taking breaks to bag things to put them in the cart because the checkout was backed up), or you can go to one of the two human staffed checkouts that despite being there for the sole purpose of checking things out are at least 3x slower than you doing it.

I"m sorry you live in such a lovely area. Luckily Hy-Vee still has good customer service.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snorkzilla posted:

Snorkzilla posted:

I can use a self checkout obviously but I don't feel like I should have to. The checkouts at this store are notoriously unreliable with scale issues. Maybe this explains why I was only one of two customers in the entire store.

🤔🤔🤔🤔

"I want there to be no one around! Also I'm mad no one would bag my groceries for me! The store must be failing because no one was around!"

Snorkzilla posted:

If you wanted to force the guy to do work he didn't need to do, you should have paid him directly.

Nobody at that store will care or notice that you're refusing to shop there because you made unreasonable demands at 6 in the goddamn morning of some guy making 8 bucks an hour or whatever.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

This is the exact situation where you find a manager! And if they refuse THEN you walk out. This just sounds like you ran into a lovely employee.

Coincidentally Wal-Mart tried to run stores with really low numbers of cashiers and the theft rate was so high they had to bring them back

A good chunk of the time current policy at grocery outlets is to only run self-checkouts at non-peak times, and you are under orders not to open a register, and in many cases cannot because the tills are still in the safe. If they aren't you are still basically told not to open the register.

The employee likely was operating under such orders and would have gotten in trouble for bending them. Retail is loving stupid and I am so glad I am out.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm also lol'ing at people bitching out a guy for shopping during store hours.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Any 'manager' in a 24/7 store working graveyard is probably there just to stock and make sure the nightcrew does what they're supposed to do instead of loving around. Good chance they wouldn't even know how to use a register and that they'd be pissed off at everyone for annoying them with dumb garbage at the tail end of a long shift.

Don't expect registers to be open before 7AM, unless you're in a high traffic area. If the employees where you shop are aggressive, apathetic, and unhelpful, it's because their pay and benefits are next to nothing and they're painfully aware of how little they're valued. If you shop somewhere the employees are well compensated, you're more likely to get better service.

Also the bitch of the thing is that a lot of self-checkout guys are under strict orders to NOT open a register, for various reasons. The first reason is that it takes their attention off of the self-checkouts, which makes it easier to steal, and will frustrate anyone using them. The second is that it means having an open til with a drawer full of cash. The third is that many retail chains see self-checkouts as something they can use to drive down labor costs and they push rules that steer customers away from staff.

At my last store the self-service podium had a note on it, written by the store manager, taped to the loving monitor. It read, "YOU ARE NOT TO CHECK OUT A CUSTOMER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. GUIDE THEM THROUGH IT, DO NOT DO IT FOR THEM, OR YOU WILL BE WRITTEN UP."

More than once I saw people punished for giving better customer service.

Retail is loving dumb

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Any 'manager' in a 24/7 store working graveyard is probably there just to stock and make sure the nightcrew does what they're supposed to do instead of loving around. Good chance they wouldn't even know how to use a register and that they'd be pissed off at everyone for annoying them with dumb garbage at the tail end of a long shift.

Don't expect registers to be open before 7AM, unless you're in a high traffic area. If the employees where you shop are aggressive, apathetic, and unhelpful, it's because their pay and benefits are next to nothing and they're painfully aware of how little they're valued. If you shop somewhere the employees are well compensated, you're more likely to get better service.

Also the bitch of the thing is that a lot of self-checkout guys are under strict orders to NOT open a register, for various reasons. The first reason is that it takes their attention off of the self-checkouts, which makes it easier to steal, and will frustrate anyone using them. The second is that it means having an open til with a drawer full of cash. The third is that many retail chains see self-checkouts as something they can use to drive down labor costs and they push rules that steer customers away from staff.

At my last store the self-service podium had a note on it, written by the store manager, taped to the loving monitor. It read, "YOU ARE NOT TO CHECK OUT A CUSTOMER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. GUIDE THEM THROUGH IT, DO NOT DO IT FOR THEM, OR YOU WILL BE WRITTEN UP."

More than once I saw people punished for giving better customer service.

Retail is loving dumb

Six in the morning is not the graveyard shift.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SimonCat posted:

He's the one who came in here bitching about having to bag his own groceries and asked if he was being reasonable or not. My opinion is that if bagging your own groceries is the worst thing to happen to you all week, you had a pretty good week.

But if he wants to act huffy and go "Well, you've lost a customer!" well that's his right, but literally no one cares.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's frustrating but understandable the the service experience is degraded either early or late in the opening hours of the store. I bitch about it too -- usually because things haven't been properly stocked -- but there's no real way around it. Put up with the crowds if you want lots of open lanes, and for everything to already have been stocked.

It's better to have longer hours and just accept that the shopping experience is going to suffer at either end, rather than shorter hours where everything is 100% perfect.

They aren't going to pay an extra guy to run a checkout lane for your convenience -- the alternative is "gently caress you, we're not open until 9AM" or something.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

SimonCat posted:

Nah it very well could still be the night crew working at six. Have you ever worked a day of shift work in your life? You seem to know absolutely nothing about it.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Nah it very well could still be the night crew working at six. Have you ever worked a day of shift work in your life? You seem to know absolutely nothing about it.

I get up at 5am and work 6am to 6pm when I'm on shift, sometimes not getting home till 8pm if I have a late call.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

SimonCat posted:

I mean the store I work at is 24/7 but it doesnt mean you can expect good sevice at basically anytime night crew is still working

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Amused to Death posted:

I mean the store I work at is 24/7 but it doesnt mean you can expect good sevice at basically anytime night crew is still working

B-team comes out at night, eh?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SimonCat posted:

I get up at 5am and work 6am to 6pm when I'm on shift, sometimes not getting home till 8pm if I have a late call.

If someone asked you to turn on a register would you do it or would you bitch out?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

SimonCat posted:

B-team comes out at night, eh?

I could say the same applies to customers

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine being so entitled that not only do you think you deserve to have stores open long hours for the sake of your convenience, but that the level of service be exactly the same at any time during the store's day.

Sure it would be nice if that were the case, but it's just not practical.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm surprised Snorkzilla was shopping at Meijer at all, I didn't think they carried Soylent in bulk.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
The night crew isn't there primarily for the customers. Expect regular service during regular service hours and the convenience of limited service but still able to get in the door and do shopping during the rest of the day. I don't see why this is a hard problem to get.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

SimonCat posted:

A lot of overnight positions start somewhere around 10-11PM and end around 5-7AM. :shrug:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

If someone asked you to turn on a register would you do it or would you bitch out?

I said I do shift work, not that I work at a grocery store.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Answer the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SimonCat posted:

I said I do shift work, not that I work at a grocery store.

If a customer asked you to mildly to majorly (depending on where the till is) break company policy for their own convenience in a way that'd absolutely get you punished, would you? Because that is basically the situation here.

Depending on how loving with a till could throw accounting off for the day, that ckuld even end up with the guy fired depending on the store.