Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

chitoryu12 posted:

They probably should have realized they were making a mistake when the plane repeatedly struggled to make the climb and they had to override the computer that was preventing them from killing themselves.

Four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Volcott posted:

Four times.

And even more importantly, going into a dive to try to restart the engines and cover their asses instead of declaring an emergency and glider-landing at any of the six airports they still could have reached safely once they had regained control of the plane.

E: also failing to follow the correct procedure to restart the engines, not that it mattered since they had throughly destroyed them on the way up.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 4, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not in cold weather though. Giant House Spiders are happy living outside all summer, but move back into houses in the fall. They also have the best name.

Giant House Spider

https://www.falsewidowspider.org.uk/british-biting-spiders/giant-house-spider

I love these guys. They're so big you can HEAR them walking on your floor. They're also kinda bad at climbing so generally stick to the floor. They are very easy to catch and scoop up in a little box and since they're lovely climbers just a cup or anything with smooth sides will contain them. They move in predictable straight lines and will always move forward if you touch them or blow on them. Most importantly they're harmless but guard your home from actual dangerous spiders! They love getting them selves stuck in tubs, sinks, and shower stalls, because once again lovely climbers.

I didn't know they were an introduced species in north america though. Oh well, they're keeping other invasive species at bay!

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 4, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Have you ever flown a barrel roll at night?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

I love these guys. They're so big you can HEAR them walking on your floor. They're also kinda bad at climbing so generally stick to the floor. They are very easy to catch and scoop up in a little box and since they're lovely climbers just a cup or anything with smooth sides will contain them. They move in predictable straight lines and will always move forward if you touch them or blow on them. Most importantly they're harmless but guard your home from actual dangerous spiders! They love getting them selves stuck in tubs, sinks, and shower stalls, because once again lovely climbers.

I didn't know they were an introduced species in north america though. Oh well, they're keeping other invasive species at bay!

Yeah, it's cool they will keep hobo spiders out of your house.

We didn't have them where I grew up though. And then even when I moved to Victoria I lived on the second floor and never saw them, because lovely climbers. So when I finally moved to a ground floor townhouse I screamed like a little girl the first time I saw one.

Oh gently caress! What the gently caress is that! My god look at the size of those fangs*! Aaaahhhhh!

Furious googling reassured me that it wasn't a wolf spider or hobo spider, and the giant fangs were actually pedipalps. Still a little unnerving to run into them at night. And they only come out late at night.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: You Should Be Imprisoned If You Link to Facebook > OSHA: extreme destruction of both bodies in impact

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

They're so big you can HEAR them walking on your floor. They're also kinda bad at climbing so generally stick to the floor.

I honestly couldn't say whether I'd prefer huge spiders at my feet or above my head. Either way seeing a huntsman makes me want to die from the terror so nope nope nope nope nope

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

Holy poo poo.

David Riggs is the textbook example of why there are no old, bold pilots.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Reducing the number of actively flying CRJ-200 is God's work.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

quote:

However, on the Amarillo charts, there is one reference to L51: it’s the length of the runway, 5,100 feet.
:sbahj:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BUD HOLLAND HAS A POSSE

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And took two other people, both teenagers, with him. gently caress this guy. A complete disregard for your own mortality is one thing, but don't bring other people along on your idiot ride.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

a friend was the first at the scene for this

yeah it was exactly as you imagine

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

Fear the Reaper.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That combineation isn't going to work.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

at what point does the FAA step in and yank your license? does it take a near-miss uploaded to youtube going viral?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/n9AxcD4.mp4

As cool/useful as these are, I also feel like they're an OSHA complaint waiting to happen because they look like they would restrict rapid movement.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Power Bottom posted:

As cool/useful as these are, I also feel like they're an OSHA complaint waiting to happen because they look like they would restrict rapid movement.

quote:

"The chair holds about 220 pounds per leg"

So, not made for an American workforce then.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Power Bottom posted:

Also because no one is going to use the full harness after the first week. Look at all the straps you have to undo to poop! Folks would definitely modify it to make it more convenient and less safe.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Power Bottom posted:

Hmm... I do enjoy sitting, but I think having my ankles strapped to the legs of the chair is something to be saved for special occasions.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Power Bottom posted:

Surely they have heard of chairs?

I feel that this device isn't offering anything that a standard chair doesn't do already.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you force your feet to point straight forward, the tightening of your posterior chain adds so much support that standing still becomes just like sitting on a stool made out of your own rear end. No exoskeleton neccessary.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

spog posted:

Surely they have heard of chairs?

I feel that this device isn't offering anything that a standard chair doesn't do already.

Oh yeah, what if you're out jogging and want to take a break and there's nowhere to sit and it's been raining so everything is muddy

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

shame on an IGA posted:

If you force your feet to point straight forward, the tightening of your posterior chain adds so much support that standing still becomes just like sitting on a stool made out of your own rear end. No exoskeleton neccessary.

not to mention you're now carrying around the exosuit as you walk and creating pressure points where the straps bear on you. reminds me of the apocryphal story of the russians using a pencil where the americans develop a hightech pen to write in microgravity.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Azhais posted:

Oh yeah, what if you're out jogging and want to take a break and there's nowhere to sit and it's been raining so everything is muddy

You just jog to the nearest non-muddy chair. gently caress your breaks!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

not to mention you're now carrying around the exosuit as you walk and creating pressure points where the straps bear on you. reminds me of the apocryphal story of the russians using a pencil where the americans develop a hightech pen to write in microgravity.

Especially the part where the reason NASA specifically didn't want to use regular pencils was because getting graphite dust everywhere in microgravity sucks rear end, and grease pencils (which both NASA and the Soviet space program made extensive use of) were prone to smudging, so some random pen company guy invented the crazy high-tech space pen on his own dime and gave them to NASA for free?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Maybe the space pen guys just sell the general public normal pens. How would you test them?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've got a pressurized pen and it's poo poo, which is kind of surprising since it was a promotional item from the pen company. It's Japanese though.

Volcott posted:

Maybe the space pen guys just sell the general public normal pens. How would you test them?

Under water.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Volcott posted:

Write on a vertical surface for a while. Normal ballpoints are gravity fed and run out of ink pretty quickly.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

A couple of videos from that link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJohKWO0Lm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MVDY8o7Bs

:stare:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LET'S NOT

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Ill bet hes using a space pen to write on the ceiling

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

JB50 posted:

Ill bet hes using a space pen to write on the ceiling

No, you use Australian pencils.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Also because no one is going to use the full harness after the first week. Look at all the straps you have to undo to poop!

You just need pants with a long zipper up the middle, or maybe those split pants that some Chinese toddlers wear. At that point you only need a bucket and somewhere private.

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

at what point does the FAA step in and yank your license? does it take a near-miss uploaded to youtube going viral?

I guess not

Is it still a near miss or is it a crash when you start hitting treetops?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Sausages posted:

I guess not

Is it still a near miss or is it a crash when you start hitting treetops?

Call it whatever you CFIT

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

Those are the dumbest pilots I have ever seen.

Oh there are so many contenders.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinnacle_Airlines_Flight_3701

Edit: Beaten. Okay, try this one:

https://youtu.be/Zkg_Y1ZmbWc

This one is justly famous:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pcZXZ9WzBc

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

VectorSigma posted:

I almost rear-ended one of those things at highway speed once.

Because it was on the highway.

In the middle of the night.

With no lights.

I hate farmers.