Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

taqueso posted:

I'd assume people would wipe and reinstall to avoid spyware.

Judging by history this is always a good idea no matter the manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Thanks for the advice!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Police Automaton posted:

Judging by history this is always a good idea no matter the manufacturer.

For sure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Delthalaz posted:

Speaking of chinese notebooks, I am kinda interested in buying a cheap chinese computer but I don't want to buy a literal piece of garbage. Any suggestions for best bang for my buck?

I wish there was a nice good Z80 microcomputer system on Aliexpress :(

it is a thing i would enjua

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just buy a second-hand thinkpad or something off ebay.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Just buy a second-hand thinkpad or something off ebay.

oh sure but I want an 8-bit CP/M box or something. and I'm too lzay to buidl fone.

e: I have thinkpad and it.r gerat

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Does anyone have experience with Aliexpress lithium-ion cells? I'm guessing they're mostly fake

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Only buy unprotected cells and use your own protection circuits. The protected ones likely aren't.

The advertised capacities are fiction, check the reviews for actual values. You can do ok, just buy from vendors with good rep and always check the reviews.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jerry Cotton posted:

oh sure but I want an 8-bit CP/M box or something. and I'm too lzay to buidl fone.

e: I have thinkpad and it.r gerat

Sorry about your stroke. :smith:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well this is horrifying: DIY dental crowns
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/50P...2817106663.html

:stonk:

Those rough edges!

Oh god there's more. DIY veneers!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/70PCS-Bag-Teeth-Veneers-Resin-Anterior-Upper-Temporary-Crown-For-Dental-Oral-Care/32817381329.html

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 4, 2017

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
That is a very good idea and I don't know what could possibly go wrong with it

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
They also sell cheap laser hair removal machines. Third degree burns, but first class prices.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

SEX BURRITO posted:

They also sell cheap laser hair removal machines. Third degree burns, but first class prices.

back in the day we used an open bucket of petrol

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I’m from Malaysia and there is an epidemic of fake dentists learning from YouTube videos and giving people cosmetic braces in cheap hotel rooms. They probably bought their equipments from Ali Baba.

Taobao is apparently having a Malaysia sale, by the way. So maybe the Chinese can buy our hopefully legit stuff for a change.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
light up upside-down heart for your bicycle

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Two people I went to school with invented that product, put it on Kickstarter, and made a moderate amount of money off it...and then within three months it had been ripped off by thousands of Chinese factories and was all over Amazon for a quarter the price. Sad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

Two people I went to school with invented that product, put it on Kickstarter, and made a moderate amount of money off it...and then within three months it had been ripped off by thousands of Chinese factories and was all over Amazon for a quarter the price. Sad.

:capitalism:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"my friend invented truck nuts for bikes and the chinese stole it!!!"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pick posted:

"my friend invented truck nuts for bikes and the chinese stole it!!!"

literally yes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm sure products have been copied and sold before Kickstarters have completed, it's unfortunate but unavoidable if you carefully describe what your product is and how it works.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or if your product is simple enough that just looking at it steals the whole design

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm sure products have been copied and sold before Kickstarters have completed, it's unfortunate but unavoidable if you carefully describe what your product is and how it works.

I think that's how you get something manufactured with 0 risk now.
It's like automatic prototyping for working ideas.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goatface posted:

Even per square meter seems cheap. Also arbitrary given the three dimensional nature of the product.

You pay ^2 the price for two dimensions and ^3 for three.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I don't know if kids like having backpacks as gifts? I know nothing about kids, but I personally rocked this cool af Chameleon Backpack for a year until it started coming apart at the weight-bearing seams:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2311.0.0.jNVr2y
A year was honestly more than I expected to get out of it, and if I wanted to, I could re-stitch it since the material isn't coming apart, just the stitches are opening.
When I bought it, it was 14€, looks like it'll be 11,60€ in the upcoming sale. It comes out looking a bit more frumpled than the pics 'cause of the way it's packed. Still, I got many compliments on it.

If you're in a colder climate, for any relative you could get this warm fleece ninja hood:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mul...2311.0.0.nTMnxI
I ordered two; one for me and one for the husband, so I can confirm that they fit head sizes from small to massive. They've got a bit of a weird smell, but it's not overpowering. They look just like the picture, and most importantly, they do the job of being warm and comfortable when the snow hits. At 2,57€ a piece, great buy.

For the boyfriend/husband Obligatory Underwear Gift I recommend these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add...2311.0.0.8tGXUo
They're fun and they look great. They've kept their colours through several washes, and the husband said they're really comfortable and to order more.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

The trick is to make the kickstarter, wait for the Chinese factories to copy it and sell it on Aliexpress, and then send the copies to your backers.

I haven't heard of this happening yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

evobatman posted:

The trick is to make the kickstarter, wait for the Chinese factories to copy it and sell it on Aliexpress, and then send the copies to your backers.

that move is called the superchina

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
This is nifty. It is a watermelon slicer that cuts out popsicle shaped chunks.

http://s.aliexpress.com/RraqUFvM

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bored posted:

This is nifty. It is a watermelon slicer that cuts out popsicle shaped chunks.

http://s.aliexpress.com/RraqUFvM

I wonder how much it was before the sale? I'm guessing around 1€.

e: Anyway if you want it buy this which is the 100% exact same one from the same factory and costs less: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...2716257020.html

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

evobatman posted:

Alternatively, how great would it be if Chinese factories started using kickstarter for marketing their own new products?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Has anyone gotten/used the knockoff Lego plates from Ali? I got a killer deal on Legos due to a prime day glitch and want to make the boy a Lego table but the plates are $6.99/small area, so $$.

If they suck, I’ll buy real ones but I’m hoping the fake ones aren’t terrible. (I’m not worried - he’s passed the point of putting stuff in his mouth and we let him get stuff from the dollar stores, so I’m sure it’s not too far off from Ali stuff).

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
To contribute to Pick's recent gift-chat post:

For your friend, housemate, teenage niece/nephew/cousin: Patches and enamel pins! These are trendy af right now and come in a range of styles. Don't pay more than a dollar or two per item. Just type 'patches' in the search bar.

For your mom / aunt / female colleague who likes cute things: This weird animal planter. It comes with a ball of dirt and some Chinese Mystery Seeds but you could probably swap those out for real seeds.

For your raver friend / relative: A sound-activated light-up mask. These sell for $20-$40 on other sites but I got one for $8 from AliExpress. It works perfectly and will keep you warm if you're going to a festival or doof.

For your nephew / niece / teenage cousin who is going through an awkward goth phase: Really anything from the Halloween section (keyword when searching is 'decor'). Maybe a spiderweb tablecloth for their bedside table altar or a sick skull or dragon ornament?

For your crafty relative: embroidered sequin patches. They come in heaps of different designs. Again, don't pay more than a few dollars per item but they're a great gift for anyone who likes crafting or similar twee stuff.

For your goony friend that still lives in their parents' basement: a wolf goblet! Just look at this loving thing.

Wild card! What to get for someone you know nothing about : A 5D mosaic or 'diamond painting cross stitch'. These are kits that come with a million rhinestones and a pattern that makes a pixelated image once you put them together. Like an incredibly finicky paint by numbers. You can get literally any design you can think of so if you don't know anything about a person except 'likes cats' search for 'cat 5d mosaic' and you'll instantly have thousands of potential presents.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

cyberia posted:

For your nephew / niece / teenage cousin who is going through an awkward goth phase: Really anything from the Halloween section

let's see what happens when i type in Halloween

hmmmm

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/6mNaPMe.png :nws:

hmmmmmmmmmm

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

That's an interesting shell design.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

so that's why they call it a clam

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:backtowork:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Good luck finding the pearl, I hear it's invisible on those things

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

If something is being sold as a lot, is there any way to order a single item, beyond asking the seller? I want some patches but not 100 of them at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Lullabee posted:

Has anyone gotten/used the knockoff Lego plates from Ali? I got a killer deal on Legos due to a prime day glitch and want to make the boy a Lego table but the plates are $6.99/small area, so $$.

If they suck, I’ll buy real ones but I’m hoping the fake ones aren’t terrible. (I’m not worried - he’s passed the point of putting stuff in his mouth and we let him get stuff from the dollar stores, so I’m sure it’s not too far off from Ali stuff).

I've been buying knock off lego products from various companies on Ali express and the quality is decent. Not a hundred percent as good as regular lego, but good enough.