Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

Imagine having the Gundam Wing narrator be the narrator of your life.

"Look, she is randomly choking on her own saliva again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Raxivace posted:

Imagine having the Gundam Wing narrator be the narrator of your life.

"Making your kids physically fight you like in Fight Club is child abuse, Tyler Durden dad."

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

"Normally, someone convicted as an accessory to three murders shouldn't be able to adopt two children but clearly that happened."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I feel like your's are fake, but I do regularly choke on my own spit.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

5 years and counting working in child welfare/CPS gets you a lot of stories you wish were fake but aren't. :smithicide:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok guys, it's time for The Second Ever C-SPAM Gunpla Challenge!!!

Last time we restricted the challenge to a single Gundam kit, but this time we're blowing it wide open. Pick any Gundam kit you like! But stick to the theme! That's right, this time we're doing a theme, and that theme is...

The Nixon Years!

That's right, the tumultuous time from 1968 to 1974. Vietnam, Watergate, Woodstock, the Moon Landing, the inspiration for Gundam modeling is practically endless.

The contest ends January 31st, so don't delay!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no i thought you were creating a fiction where these where your children oh no

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Can I just stick Richard Nixon's head in a jar on top of the Big Zam or does that not count because it's from the year 3000

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

Can I just stick Richard Nixon's head in a jar on top of the Big Zam or does that not count because it's from the year 3000

There was a discussion about Watchmen in the C-SPAM thread and the conclusion that was reached is that fictional Nixon presidencies count. So you'd be fine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
How can we talk about Gundam dubs without bringing up this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Goddammit Nappa...

I might have an IBO AMV in the works for next year's con.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

WE'VE BEEN UNDER ATTACK BY MORBL SOOTS FROM GUNDEENIUM ALLOY MADE IN OUTER SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE

Seriously, when I first saw this video, I couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does anybody recognize the Gundam with the giant hand?

Maybe the Saviour? The backpack also reminds me of the zaku warrior's blaze backpack.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given the suspiciously Freedomy silhouette behind it, I’d assume it’s a Justice with the Blitz’s arm.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Given the suspiciously Freedomy silhouette behind it, I’d assume it’s a Justice with the Blitz’s arm.

The legs and front skirt armor are way bigger than on the Justice.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Another random question, sorry.

Many years ago now, before I started the Gundam franchise proper but after I had watched G Gundam in high school, I read somewhere that we see a lot of cameos from other known mobile suits when everyone is fighting the Devil Colony. It just randomly occurred to me that I heard one of these suits was Wing Zero.

But Wing came out after G, right? I certainly don't remember this but it was 11 years ago now and I had no idea what Wing Zero looked like in 2006.

So was I misinformed? Are there at least other famous mobile suits we see cameos of during that big finale?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Another random question, sorry.

Many years ago now, before I started the Gundam franchise proper but after I had watched G Gundam in high school, I read somewhere that we see a lot of cameos from other known mobile suits when everyone is fighting the Devil Colony. It just randomly occurred to me that I heard one of these suits was Wing Zero.

But Wing came out after G, right? I certainly don't remember this but it was 11 years ago now and I had no idea what Wing Zero looked like in 2006.

So was I misinformed? Are there at least other famous mobile suits we see cameos of during that big finale?

IDK about wing zero specifically but there are some Gundams in the backgrounds that are clearly prototypes of the Wing gundams. I also found this https://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/fly-in-the-sky-mobile-fighter-g-gundams-last-shoutout/ which points out some of the references.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Here's a website that points out all the cameos. The regular Wing is in there, not the Wing Zero. presumably by that late in G Gundam, Gundam Wing was far enough along in pre production that the animators knew what the Wing was going to look like.

edit: here's another shot of the Wing. I guess the animators knew what was up but the colorists, not so much

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
How has ZZ gone from Moon Moon to an African ethnic/anti-colonialism conflict turned proxy war

I want Mashymre back :(

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's what happens when you're not an anime.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Droyer posted:

IDK about wing zero specifically but there are some Gundams in the backgrounds that are clearly prototypes of the Wing gundams. I also found this https://ghostlightning.wordpress.com/2011/09/30/fly-in-the-sky-mobile-fighter-g-gundams-last-shoutout/ which points out some of the references.

At least one of these is wrong (labeling the F91 as the GP03S) and a handful are missing from G Gundam itself. Is there a completed version of this list?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

A lot of people will be like "yeah, duh", but I was just thinking how Gundam is basically just Star Wars. I would say it's "Star Wars but with giant mecha", except Star Wars actually has giant mecha already. Then I would say "well, it's anime Star Wars", but then again, Star Wars is practically just a live action anime.

Amuro Ray and Luke Skywalker are extremely similar characters with basically the same character arc. Newtypes are basically force sensitive people. The bad guys are totalitarian Nazi stand-ins. Both have lightsabers. Both are retro-futuristic. In the second series of each, the "good guy" faction turns heel - i.e. the Republic becomes the Empire and the Federation creates the Titans.

Char Aznable is literally wearing Darth Vader's helmet. Both are giant toy commercials with huge amounts of shameless merchandise. Both Char and Darth Vader are more popular than the actual heroes and they're the guys who always show up on the cereal boxes and poo poo. Instead of "Luke, I am your father", it's "Sayla, I am your brother."

Basically the area where they differ is mostly thematic. Star Wars typically has very black and white morality with clear good guys and bad guys and the good guys usually win. The Japanese cartoon for children is amazingly way more nuanced, doesn't really have clear cut good guys and bad guys, has very anti-war messaging and is often way more bittersweet and somber.

Amuro also doesn't really have a mentor figure like Obi-Wan or Yoda. He just kind of figures stuff out on his own. The closest thing to a mentor Amuro has is Bright, but Bright isn't much older than Amuro and is also totally inexperienced and has to figure everything out on his own. Kai is sort of like Han Solo, except instead of being smooth and charismatic, he comes across as a creep no one likes at first.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another difference worth noting is that there has been good Gundam stuff made after 1983.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want a steel battalion or Mechwarrior style Gundam game

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another difference worth noting is that there has been good Gundam stuff made after 1983.

I liked the original two Star Wars Battlefront games.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The prequels are good.

:smug:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Prequels gave us the RedLetterMedia reviews so at least something good came out of them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would even defend the Thrawn Trilogy, even though I don't know if Gundam had anything as dumb as "Luuke" Skywalker.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh, snap! I actually agree with you lol

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want a steel battalion or Mechwarrior style Gundam game

There's that Gundam POD game, but it's only in arcades in Japan. It looks wicked cool. From what I can tell, you're sitting in a cockpit and have death matches with other players. You have like, a card and an account you bring to the arcade so you can get your own personalized mobile suits and stuff.

I don't have any VR stuff, but the two things that desperately need to be made for VR are a new X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter game and a Gundam sim. Both would work great because they're cockpit simulators. I have dreamed of climbing into the cockpit of an X-Wing or a Gundam since I was a kid.

And I don't want like, a small 1 level tech demo like the thing in the new Star Wars Battlefront. I want full on sims like X-Wing \ TIE Fighter \ Mechwarrior \ Steel Batallion where all the buttons work and do stuff and it's like you're really piloting said vehicles. And you can play online with other people and form squadrons in mock battles. And they're continually updated like an MMO and periodically add more ships \ mobile suits \ maps \ etc. And you can do all the famous battles from the movies and shows and poo poo.

Those are my dream video games. If someone can make those for me, I will never need any other video games ever again. I would give my left nut for those. Hell, I might even give both nuts. And maybe a leg. Or two.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 8, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MechaX posted:

I would even defend the Thrawn Trilogy, even though I don't know if Gundam had anything as dumb as "Luuke" Skywalker.

In terms of a clone with a stupid name?

Bring Stabbity or Full Frontal.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Different theme, but you could play the Zone of the Enders VR remaster on the PS4/PC and get fairly close for the space battle versions of things (what with all of the mechs constantly being in motion/in the air/never standing on the ground for long except for when the player mech is charging up an even more ridiculous attack).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Vq0OOuMGo

EDIT: Also, cockpit jokes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

MechaX posted:

Gundam has some really dumb loving stuff in it. ZZ is pretty dumb. But... I'm pretty sure Star Wars has Gundam beat by a longshot when it comes to the sheer amount of stupid poo poo.

Of course mind you I'm talking UC Gundam as that's what I'm most familiar with. I've only watched a couple alternate universe shows all the way to the end. But they can get extremely dumb. I like G Gundam and Wing as much as the next guy, but they're really dumb.

I have not watched SEED Destiny or AGE and I probably never will. Other people will have to elaborate on those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Personally, I just want a Gundam Virtual On game.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The third-generation spaceship captain in AGE is called Netorare Anus.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The KOTOR games are good. They haven't aged that well but back when they were new, they were amazing.

I actually like a lot of the old EU though so whatev.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ive actually played the gundam POD game and while its fun, its not nearly as crunchy as a mechwarrior game. Very arcadey, basically a vustom interface for an early gundam vs. Game.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I think about the Prequels in connection with Turn A a lot, because they're so similar in so many ways.

It's an "Auteur" coming back to the franchise he created after a number of years away (and depression). In the meantime, other authors have taken it over and what they're doing is having increasingly diminishing returns.

They're trying to do something new with visual design and storytelling. I think in Tomino's mind and in Lucas's, they're both thinking, how far can I stretch my world and still have it be recognizably Star Wars or Gundam?

Can Star Wars be a noir detective story? (Yes) Can it be a love story? (No)
Can Gundam tell a story that's about peace, rather than war? (Yes)

The main difference between Turn A and Phantom Menace is that even when Turn A is doing new things, they're still usually exciting, Gundam-y things.

I know I'm being super reductionist but the biggest difference between Tomino and Lucas as creators is that Lucas loving loves making everything toyetic, while Tomino despises that he has to lower himself to making a toy commercial.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I would think that the biggest difference is that Tomino and Lucas is capable of making something worth watching while Lucas surrounded himself with better filmmakers (and he then floundered when he dropped them all and made the prequels)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mimir posted:

Can Star Wars be a noir detective story? (Yes) Can it be a love story? (No)

Improbable Lobster posted:

I would think that the biggest difference is that Tomino and Lucas is capable of making something worth watching while Lucas surrounded himself with better filmmakers (and he then floundered when he dropped them all and made the prequels)

I don't think that's fair to Lucas. Or the people who work with Tomino. People say, oh, Empire Strikes Back, that was all Kershner and Kasdan, but then ignore that neither of those dudes did anything very impressive when they weren't working with Lucas. Similarly, Tomino is a genius, but an anime takes a ton of work. Look at the list of Gundam episodes, Tomino isn't the credited writer of a single episode.

I think a better distinction is that they both produce a ton of ideas, but Lucas needs people who can pare down and interpret his ideas, while Tomino needs people who can execute and enhance his ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

The prequels are good.

:smug:
:agreed: