Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Jealous Cow posted:

I got two of the Samsungs that the wirecutter suggested and they have a horrible pulsing blue light.

Why the gently caress is everyone so hard for blue lights. Blue is the hardest fixing color of light to focus on and fucks up your night vision.

Why the gently caress would they put a light like that on something that’ll be used in a bedroom. loving rear end in a top hat design.

The HDD activity LED in my Corsair 250D PC case is bright enough to light up my room at night. One of the nasty side effects of ever more efficient LEDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

FaceID seems to struggle when I’m being a lazy gently caress and slouching on the couch. Unfortunately for me, this is all too often.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

fordan posted:

Didn't see these responded to but you can change it per app. Settings>Notifications>[App Name] and down at the bottom is an Options section where you can change "Show Previews" to one of "Always", "When Unlocked" (default), or "Never".

... thank you

i haven't really dug into the settings menu in a while

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Feenix posted:

How many months/point revisions do you estimate before that horrid swipe-up bar is allowed to be deactivated in Accesibilty or some poo poo?

I say 11.4 at latest.

Yeah that bar is really unnecessary and annoying. Granted, I keep finding myself trying to tap a home button but I’m pretty sure I’ll be trained to swipe up by the end of the night. I don’t need the UI to be that intrusive.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
both The Bar and The Notch have literally rendered themselves invisible to me unless i actively think about them. i suggest joining me in the land of "It Isn't A Big Deal You Big Sillies" :D

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The bar is annoying in games that have released a poorly optimized X update. Also in landscape mode in general. And it is unnecessary, even when it’s not in the way.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

fordan posted:

Didn't see these responded to but you can change it per app. Settings>Notifications>[App Name] and down at the bottom is an Options section where you can change "Show Previews" to one of "Always", "When Unlocked" (default), or "Never".

OH cool. Thanks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LEDs too bright people just buy some LightDims. Also available on Amazon.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

both The Bar and The Notch have literally rendered themselves invisible to me unless i actively think about them. i suggest joining me in the land of "It Isn't A Big Deal You Big Sillies" :D

The notch doesn’t bother me, but is necessary. The bar is way too bright/dark and does not need to be there for anyone who has used the phone for more than 5 minutes.

I’d rather Apple UI design didn’t center around my mom borrowing my phone for 30 seconds.

Is it hurting me? Of course not. But it’s unnecessary and can easily be removed with no ill effect.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How do we kill apps now?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Feenix posted:

How do we kill apps now?

Bring up task switcher, hold app until they start wiggling, red close button in corner of app

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
That's the biggest miss for me so far. I wish I could just swipe up to force quit apps like before.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dogen posted:

Bring up task switcher, hold app until they start wiggling, red close button in corner of app

Mine don’t wiggle. But thank you!!

Kailtor
Jun 7, 2005

fucking kailtor

Ask me about my lifetime subscription

:ughh: :ughh:

Dogen posted:

You can actually swipe up at that point, no x needed!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does Apple have a timeline for when they start offering the simless version of an iPhone? (If it the option wasn't already there at launch?)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kailtor posted:

You can actually swipe up at that point, no x needed!

That doesn’t force quit the app, I have found

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dogen posted:

Oh cool it’s like iOS 4 all over again.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

That doesn’t force quit the app, I have found

No you still have to hold on the card until the red 'close' icon shows up - but once that happens you can swipe up.

It's still annoying having to hold on the cards.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Feenix posted:

The notch doesn’t bother me, but is necessary. The bar is way too bright/dark and does not need to be there for anyone who has used the phone for more than 5 minutes.

I’d rather Apple UI design didn’t center around my mom borrowing my phone for 30 seconds.

Is it hurting me? Of course not. But it’s unnecessary and can easily be removed with no ill effect.

This. All this.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

No you still have to hold on the card until the red 'close' icon shows up - but once that happens you can swipe up.

It's still annoying having to hold on the cards.

The card management stuff is still a little floaty between the point where the phone knows you might want to bring it up but it’s not sure you want to commit.
Hopefully fixed soon, it’s about the one flaw I’ve seen on the X interface.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rage-saq posted:

The card management stuff is still a little floaty between the point where the phone knows you might want to bring it up but it’s not sure you want to commit.

It's super quick if you drag your finger up just a bit, like half an inch, pause for a split second, then release.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

enojy posted:

It's super quick if you drag your finger up just a bit, like half an inch, pause for a split second, then release.

If you have an app up yeah, but if you are on the dashboard it gets weird about it. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

rage-saq posted:

It’s been said already but if you make an upside down L either way you’ll drag the app right into the app switcher, and it should be advertised to do it that way as there’s no guessing to it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Anyone else on an iPhone X accidentally summoning the magnifier a whole lot? It’s not turned on in my settings, so I’m not sure if it’s a dumb design decision or a genuine bug...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

Anyone else on an iPhone X accidentally summoning the magnifier a whole lot? It’s not turned on in my settings, so I’m not sure if it’s a dumb design decision or a genuine bug...

How are you managing to do that? Triple clicking the side button? You can turn that off under Accessibility ... On my device, turning Magnifier 'Off' really does turn off the shortcut

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

comper posted:

It’s been said already but if you make an upside down L either way you’ll drag the app right into the app switcher, and it should be advertised to do it that way as there’s no guessing to it.

You don't even have to make the "L" shape. Just drag up from the bottom of the screen about a half inch and stop, then release. It's only slightly different than the swipe up to go home gesture which doesn't stop at all before you lift your finger from the screen. The best way I can describe the difference is the go home gesture is a flick, while entering the app switcher is more of a slide with a definite end point.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pivo posted:

How are you managing to do that? Triple clicking the side button? You can turn that off under Accessibility ... On my device, turning Magnifier 'Off' really does turn off the shortcut

No, it’s some touch gesture involving multiple fingers that I can’t quite figure out. Triggers most often when playing a clicker and I’m tapping repeatedly with multiple fingers, sometimes happens when I’m pulling it out of my pocket...
I turned Reachability on, I don’t know if that turns other accessibility stuff on with it or not.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

No, it’s some touch gesture involving multiple fingers that I can’t quite figure out. Triggers most often when playing a clicker and I’m tapping repeatedly with multiple fingers, sometimes happens when I’m pulling it out of my pocket...
I turned Reachability on, I don’t know if that turns other accessibility stuff on with it or not.

Oh. I have a feeling you mean Zoom, not Magnifier. It is a three finger double-tap, then drag to move around. You can disable that shortcut under General > Accessibility > Zoom, at the top under Vision.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Pivo posted:

Oh. I have a feeling you mean Zoom, not Magnifier. It is a three finger double-tap, then drag to move around. You can disable that shortcut under General > Accessibility > Zoom, at the top under Vision.

ayyyyyyyy
I don’t know how I looked at the accessibility settings panel and just completely overlooked zoom.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

fr3lm0 posted:

You don't even have to make the "L" shape. Just drag up from the bottom of the screen about a half inch and stop, then release. It's only slightly different than the swipe up to go home gesture which doesn't stop at all before you lift your finger from the screen. The best way I can describe the difference is the go home gesture is a flick, while entering the app switcher is more of a slide with a definite end point.

You don’t have to, it just works better for people who don’t like that split second pause where they aren’t sure if it’s working (it is) so that’s who I was responding to.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

sleepwalkers posted:

So there was a hack a couple years ago to use zoom as a way to triple tap to darken the screen even lower. Yesterday while using stage lighting on a photo I was taking my screen got really dark. I even rebooted it. Then I hit Power 3 times and it resolved. So yes, I had it happen at least once randomly.

[Edit] app switcher: apple’s method is ok. Upside down L is way better. Diagonal from bottom, up and to the right is best.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

fr3lm0 posted:

That’s not the part I’m complaining of, when I do this gesture on the home screen it just kind of pulses up and back, but if I start to swipe up and pull it very slowly sometimes it figures out I want the switcher. It’s annoying and should work just the same as when in an app, where it’s quick and easy to pull up.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Feenix posted:

So there was a hack a couple years ago to use zoom as a way to triple tap to darken the screen even lower. Yesterday while using stage lighting on a photo I was taking my screen got really dark. I even rebooted it. Then I hit Power 3 times and it resolved. So yes, I had it happen at least once randomly.

[Edit] app switcher: apple’s method is ok. Upside down L is way better. Diagonal from bottom, up and to the right is best.

apparently if you just swipe up, stop your finger, then release, then it works without you having to wait for the switcher to appear. though the L is probably a more fluid motion

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Is it ok to ask about accessories in this thread? If so...

I have a speaker that has a male lightning connector, so you can plug in your iPhone and listen to stuff louder. What I’m wondering is, is there a Bluetooth adapter you can buy that has a female lightning port, that I could plug into the speaker then connect my phone to wirelessly?

I appreciate that such a thing might not exist, given that the demand for it is probably fairly niche, but I figured it was worth asking just in case. TIA.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I keep taking screenshots when I'm just trying to turn off the screen. Squeezing the button on the right naturally puts my thumb on the volume up button.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

I keep taking screenshots when I'm just trying to turn off the screen. Squeezing the button on the right naturally puts my thumb on the volume up button.

This has been the case since they moved the sleep button onto the side directly opposite the volume buttons (iPhone 6?).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Generic Monk posted:

apparently if you just swipe up, stop your finger, then release, then it works without you having to wait for the switcher to appear. though the L is probably a more fluid motion

I’m finding that initial method to be a little inconsistent and/or taking longer than I’d like...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cultural Marxist posted:

Is it ok to ask about accessories in this thread? If so...

I have a speaker that has a male lightning connector, so you can plug in your iPhone and listen to stuff louder. What I’m wondering is, is there a Bluetooth adapter you can buy that has a female lightning port, that I could plug into the speaker then connect my phone to wirelessly?

I appreciate that such a thing might not exist, given that the demand for it is probably fairly niche, but I figured it was worth asking just in case. TIA.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but why can't you just get a Bluetooth speaker? A BT to Lightning audio port would be a very weird product, whereas Bluetooth speakers are incredibly common.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but why can't you just get a Bluetooth speaker? A BT to Lightning audio port would be a very weird product, whereas Bluetooth speakers are incredibly common.

Maybe he likes the speaker he has.

In any case, no, I'd be very surprised if such a product existed for the reason you stated.

There's BT to 3.5 mm headphone jack if the speaker has that port, though.

You might be able to cobble some adapters/dongles together to get to where you want, but I have no idea if such a thing would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

withak posted:

This has been the case since they moved the sleep button onto the side directly opposite the volume buttons (iPhone 6?).

The screenshot shortcut before the X was sleep+home not sleep+volume