Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralker
Sep 2, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I like that the Miami - VT game from tonight was a battle of two coaches who "can't win the big game" so no matter what happened someone gets to bitch about how their coach just can't get them over the hump.

VT lost because they got too aggressive on offense and lost on pretty much all of their gamble plays. VT's defense played high risk-high reward for the most part and it paid off, but their offense couldn't move the ball once they got past about Miami's 40. VT had something like 80 plays on offense and only 10 points, which generally means the offense worked like it was supposed to but unusual things happened (turnovers, missed 4th down conversions, etc.) so the scheme didn't actually pay out in points.

Fuente is a good coach, and I'm very unhappy that you guys have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

Quick, ask me if I'd rather be Iowa or VT this year. You think I care about lovely losses to bad teams? VT does that anyway. Iowa plays with more heart against better teams than VT ever does, that's what I loving care about seeing.

Great, take it all. Take the bowl streak, take the 10 win seasons, give me all the aches and pains you have as an Iowa fan and give me the big wins and the heart you guys pull out when the games actually matter. You think I give a gently caress about 10 win seasons?

Nothing about VT ever makes you jealous as a fan. Nobody sits down and wishes for VT's consistency. I don't care about it at all.
You're drunk dude.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

please check yourself into a mental health institution, CB, we care about your health

lmao get hosed you histrionic buffoon

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Alaois posted:

please check yourself into a mental health institution, CB, we care about your health

lmao get hosed you histrionic buffoon

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Bud Foster posted:

I've never been to a bad bowl game.

Behold the VT staff after losing in embarrassing fashion in yet another major game.

loving :laffo: if you can't see this stuff.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
is Butch Jones fired yet

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

is Butch Jones fired yet

He beat Southern Miss, gets extension.

He probably is already fired. Just finishing year.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

Behold the VT staff after losing in embarrassing fashion in yet another major game.

Virginia Tech of the fertile New River Valley recruiting grounds is not living up to its top-5 potential. :rolleyes:

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
last night I dreamed that Tennessee fired Butch, but all the good coaches were taken so they ended hiring Bert

I woke up laughing

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

is Butch Jones fired yet

Maybe if we drop games to Vandy and Missouri he will be? Or like was said earlier he’s already fired and finishing out. If you want to read some horrific circle jerking, head on over to r/ockytop where the only coach they want is Gruden.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I wish Kansas could beat VT again, but that's probably a once in a lifetime thing.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's gonna be okay CB team is way young. Fuente can't literally play for them, we left a ton on the field bumbling around. Team didn't look unprepared just not comfortable, we've been mediocre for a while that wasn't gonna get shaken off in one season. Iowa State also went out and lost to WVU so transitive win!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jesus christ, CB.

Uh, anyway, RE: Mike Riley, if the coffin wasn't already nailed shut, it's been welded shut after that loss. I don't remember the last game played in which we weren't straight-up outcoached (save for Illinois, but c'mon). Watching Iowa destroy Ohio State, who beat us as comprehensively as I've seen a team beat us in memory, didn't help matters much.

I just hope Bill Moos has a plan in case the draw of raising his kid near his grandparents isn't enough to bring Frost back home, or whatever the argument is.

swickles posted:

I meant more along the lines of keeping him a year to lower the buyout. Its a bad look if you can't land the top prospect coach who was the face of your school for a while. Better to just keep Riley and go after then top guy next year. It would be like if Tebow was the hot coaching name and he turned down Florida for another school.

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley. Recruiting is already starting to suffer and next year's schedule is how-the-hell-did-the-B1G-clear-this hard. A new coach will get some leeway with it.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Nov 5, 2017

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Real Name Grover posted:

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley. 

Have I got the coach for you!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I live in Chicago and have never seen a Nebraska fan. I've seen Florida, Georgia and Tennessee fans though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

tactlessbastard posted:

Have I got the coach for you!

That...might actually be a decent fit? I sure wouldn't be excited about it if I were a Nebraska fan but Bert was built to coach in the Big 10.

He's not getting hired even at a down and desperate Nebraska coming off this year though.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
There are at least three "official" Nebraska bars in Chicago, last I checked. Watch a couple games at Kirkwood and the Bird's Nest

Grittybeard posted:

That...might actually be a decent fit? I sure wouldn't be excited about it if I were a Nebraska fan but Bert was built to coach in the Big 10.

He's not getting hired even at a down and desperate Nebraska coming off this year though.

There was a weird afternoon in 2014 when FootballScoop broke that we were going after him. It made no drat sense and to this day I think it was totally bogus. I doubt Moos goes after him.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 5, 2017

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
It surprises me how many UGA (and SEC, in general) fans I see out in Colorado. I was at the freaking pumpkin patch with my kind in a Georgia t shirt one Saturday and got a go dawgs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I pretty reliably get at least one go Hawks just about every time I go out wearing an Iowa shirt or hat, usually from some rich old dude who moved to get away from the snow.

Latest thing is saw on Florida was that they’re going after Frost or Taggart. Taggart would be a really good fit for that job if you can get him to bail on Oregon after only 1 year.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Bill Davis should be fired imo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kittenmittons posted:

Bill Davis should be fired imo.

Your linebackers are seriously so bad. Like Iowa’s tight ends are pretty good but that whole game was TEs and RBs running wide open or RBs making a LB miss and getting like 10+ extra yards. The OU game was pretty similar too as far as LBs getting smoked in coverage if I’m remember right.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Please no one steal coach Kool or Manny. Manny will be a Miami HC someday.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crotch Bat posted:

keep going, i am almost there

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

If Taggart bails on Oregon after one year, man, I don't know.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Florida is not a better job than Oregon

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Oregon seems like a great gig. Can't imagine he leaves after one season,

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

vyst posted:

Florida is not a better job than Oregon

imagine having a billionaire booster wearing a headset during a game

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Real Name Grover posted:

At this point, the majority of the fanbase and boosters would take just about anyone over Riley.

Please hire Tim Beck, Ohio State went 23-3 when he was their OC and he’s a great recruiter, he’s totally earned a shot!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Sumlin is out?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Who are OC's worth going after should Tom Herman do the sane thing and jettison Tim Beck?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Sumlin is out?

According to the Read Optional whatever that is it's a done deal at the end of the season, I haven't seen anything saying he's gone now?

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
My favorite part about Sumlin is the whole #YESSIR, LLC thing.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kiffin at A&M seems like a really funny scenario in my head

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

KKKLIP ART posted:

Kiffin at A&M seems like a really funny scenario in my head

Oh god no

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

I never saw him as a good fit there anyway but that's easy to say now. No idea where Aggies go next, though. Maybe some hotshot OC/DC?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Chad Morris was the general consensus even before this year when he hadn’t done poo poo at SMU so I can’t imagine that’s changed now that he’s actually winning games

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I think it's Chad Morris or bust

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Thermos H Christ posted:

Please hire Tim Beck, Ohio State went 23-3 when he was their OC and he’s a great recruiter, he’s totally earned a shot!

Beck's name came up when KU fired Weis and a lot of us were like "ohpleaseohplease" (and then Pelini got fired two months later so whatever)

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:
Kiffin is ON TOP of the C-USA so there must be something to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

It surprises me how many UGA (and SEC, in general) fans I see out in Colorado. I was at the freaking pumpkin patch with my kind in a Georgia t shirt one Saturday and got a go dawgs

The south is insane about football.

When Georgia is playing well, "How 'bout them Dawgs" is an acceptable conversation starter. With anybody. With little old ladies. Especially with little old ladies.

• Locked thread