Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
If children’s movies aren’t traumatizing they are no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neon Noodle posted:

If children’s movies aren’t traumatizing they are no good.

I agree!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I showed Watership Down to my niece and nephew this summer, ages 6 and 8 respectively. I was on repeat viewings of it by the time I was 5, so I figured they could handle it. And yeah! No troubles whatsoever! But said nephew was absolutely terrified of the blue screen before Thomas the Tank came on. You never know what'll set a kid off.

And they both loved Kehaar. :3:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Das Boo posted:

I showed Watership Down to my niece and nephew this summer, ages 6 and 8 respectively. I was on repeat viewings of it by the time I was 5, so I figured they could handle it. And yeah! No troubles whatsoever! But said nephew was absolutely terrified of the blue screen before Thomas the Tank came on. You never know what'll set a kid off.

And they both loved Kehaar. :3:

lot of those title cards really spook the gently caress out of kids - there's the THX that about a loud as a foghorn even if you got your TV on the lowest volume. I seem to recall the Spider-Man sitting on DiC's end title card (??? Maybe, I can't recall if it's dic or something else, just it's after Muppet babies) looking very sinister

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The Harveytoon jack in a box mascot thing used to scare me as a wee baby.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Robindaybird posted:

lot of those title cards really spook the gently caress out of kids - there's the THX that about a loud as a foghorn even if you got your TV on the lowest volume. I seem to recall the Spider-Man sitting on DiC's end title card (??? Maybe, I can't recall if it's dic or something else, just it's after Muppet babies) looking very sinister

https://vimeo.com/18332484

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I assume :thejoke:, but that jingle's completely inoffensive to me?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've searched for literal years, and years, for a certain piece of music that I know, and which was hugely nostalgic to me, but I had no idea where it was from. Today... I know :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mL4Go4yAYQ

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The logo that creeped me out as a kid was the weird spinning Mickey on some disney movies

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Pick posted:

I've searched for literal years, and years, for a certain piece of music that I know, and which was hugely nostalgic to me, but I had no idea where it was from. Today... I know :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mL4Go4yAYQ
Oh, Homeward Bound! Or as my sister and I used to know it as a kid, Dog Dog Cat!

I remember really liking Dog Dog Cat. I almost don't want to rewatch it, because I suspect Dog Dog Cat won't hold up and I'd rather have the memories.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This new trailer for Coco I think has done the best job of selling the movie to me compared to all the others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvr68u6k5sI

This trailer does have the weird thing A LOT of having a lot of characters saying things that aren't for that scene though.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

*kicks down door*

Gnomeo and Juliet 2: Sherlock Gnolmes trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BLtnXESorg

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*kicks down door*

:popeye:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*kicks down door*

How does this happen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Macaluso posted:

How does this happen

2017 is punishment for our sins.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Macaluso posted:

How does this happen

I'm more surprised that it took them this long to get around to a sequel

quote:

Gnomeo and Juliet (2011)

Production budget: $36 million
Domestic box office: $99,967,670
Foreign box office: $94,000,000

Edit: Gnomeo and Juliet was financed by Disney and released under their Touchstone label, this sequel is produced by Paramount and MGM and will be distributed by Paramount. Both were developed by Elton John's production company Rocket Pictures which used to have a first look deal with Disney but it looks like they've jumped ship since then.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 7, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

How does this happen

Hell is real and we're in it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gnomeo and Juliet was actually better than it had any right to be, which is to say it was an okay movie and not an abomination against God.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Frederator's started releasing the new batch of shorts co-produced by them and Sony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzEYgQW8f0

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*kicks down door*

no!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Gnomeo and Juliet was actually better than it had any right to be, which is to say it was an okay movie and not an abomination against God.

That would be my review of the movie too, although if you like Shakespeare or something you might be madder.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Why does Elton John make lovely cartoons

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
New Thread title?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Why does Elton John make lovely cartoons

If I had the money you know I would.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Macaluso posted:

How does this happen

Media is produced either by appeal to a mass market that favours the blandly safe or by the capricious whims of the investor class, which sometimes has the worst possible result of all where it imitates the blandly safe while also failing to achieve the mass appeal.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

*kicks down door*

“I’m okay!” followed by multiple farts. People who cut trailers must be completely self-aware, or not paid nearly enough.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

“I’m okay!” followed by multiple farts. People who cut trailers must be completely self-aware, or not paid nearly enough.

where they can get it they take their tiny revenge on the guys who took that awesome aspirational film editor job they were applying for before they got this one

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

since that possibly scammy Oz movie, I am forever bugged by trailers where it's clear the Action/Funny Line bit and the other character reacting are in completely different scenes

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Who cut the frog cheese?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Robindaybird posted:

since that possibly scammy Oz movie, I am forever bugged by trailers where it's clear the Action/Funny Line bit and the other character reacting are in completely different scenes

Uh, that has been around forever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*In another subforum entirely*

Didn't see THAT coming.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Waffleman_ posted:

*In another subforum entirely*

Didn't see THAT coming.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
im the super de-essed, vocoded and sped up vocal mix

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Macaluso posted:

This new trailer for Coco I think has done the best job of selling the movie to me compared to all the others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvr68u6k5sI

This trailer does have the weird thing A LOT of having a lot of characters saying things that aren't for that scene though.

Getting a grim fandango vibe from this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
No ship sherlock

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm not feeling any of the Coco trailers at all. It might just be bad editing but they just don't feel funny at all. Or adventurous. Or heart-warming. Just nothing.

Perhaps it's the creepy skeleton eyes?

OK the scene where granny kisses Coco is on point.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's funny how the solution is basically just animating fewer frames, letting them use the same techniques animators have been using since forever.

Is that Grandizer? My brother loved the poo poo out of that.

General Jare!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Renoistic posted:

I'm not feeling any of the Coco trailers at all. It might just be bad editing but they just don't feel funny at all. Or adventurous. Or heart-warming. Just nothing.

Perhaps it's the creepy skeleton eyes?

OK the scene where granny kisses Coco is on point.

I feel the same and it's bizarre. I am terribly interested in afterlife depictions and Dia de Los Muertos is such a colorful, boisterous interpretation that's so perfectly suited for animation. (As Book of Life demonstrated, script aside.) But a month out and I've seen nothing that excited me. And yeah, I dislike the skeleton designs. Jack didn't need eyes, what makes you so special?! Glowy pupils also acceptable.

Gosh, I wish Book of Life was good and not just pretty.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shbobdb posted:

Is that Grandizer? My brother loved the poo poo out of that.

General Jare!

Part of the same franchise, though this seems to be the remake of the first Mazinger Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
God, I hope that American theaters take a cue from the Mexican ones. I already have a day scheduled to watch Coco next month and if they attach the short to it, it sounds like it might be the worst 21 minutes I have ever spent in a theater, and I have had some pretty loving bad theatrical experiences.