Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
That is some great advice, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Hm, that's interesting. Hopefully they find a solution to this soon. This issue won't stop me from playing. For now I will continue stretching out the late game over several sessions to avoid boredom between wars and megastructures.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I am building ports on all my systems (which is also weird, because theirs have something like 1.2-1.6x the power of mine), and they weren't advanced start, since they only had one planet when I encountered them initially?

I wasn't aware of the dynamic of building over fleet cap and hemorrhaging energy to fight a war, that might explain it.

Gotta think of energy as fuel. Positive income is nice but it's okay to go into the negatives as long as you've been keeping a strategic reserve. So it's okay if your enrgy is only +20 during peace time and goes -20 during war as long as you have 1000 in the bank to keep your fleet going.

e: I just made those numbers up..there's no ratio or whatever.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 5, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Realism touch: Internal factions demand an end to energy deficit spending except when their guy is in power. :v:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I accidentlly picked world shaper instead of mastery over nature for ascention pick 1. Is thaat a restartworthy booboo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Energy is basically your upkeep resource yeah, it's there to be spent on things like running your fleet and buildings, but as buildings have a fixed cost you're basically only going to change your energy balance suddenly based on colonization and deploying your fleet, so building an energy reserve and then burning through it is just part of the gameplay, though personally as I've said before I wish it was a bit more pronounced to encourage building up fleets while making you think more about whether you deploy them. At the moment I find it's costly enough to keep them in drydock that it kind of discourages you from building them unless you need to.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I accidentlly picked world shaper instead of mastery over nature for ascention pick 1. Is thaat a restartworthy booboo
I mean if you have autosaves you could jsut go back a couple of months if it JUST happened.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

At the moment I find it's costly enough to keep them in drydock that it kind of discourages you from building them unless you need to.

By this you mean keeping them in orbit of a starbase right? By "deploy" you mean "not in orbit"?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Nessus posted:

I mean if you have autosaves you could jsut go back a couple of months if it JUST happened.

It's been a little while frustrqtingly :saddowns:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

By this you mean keeping them in orbit of a starbase right? By "deploy" you mean "not in orbit"?

Yes that's right, when in orbit of a planet (with a starbase I think?) they get between about 30% to 50% reduced cost depending on, I think, technologies and modules on the starbase.

I don't play vanilla so I'm not sure what the normal values are but they're low enough either way that it still costs you a lot to keep your fleet on standby, so if you really want to save money you just have to not build fleets which I don't think is quite as interesting as the prospect of being able to maintain a standing fleet with limited upkeep provided you perhaps spec the planet and base for it.

I really would like some planetary tile buildings that have more effects like the shield generator, giving benefits to the planet that aren't resource based. Alphamod includes sensor arrays which are really neat and I'd like perhaps some kind of starship construction and maintenance tiles that give you benefits to building and parking starships there. Bit of a shame that all of that will probably be moved onto system starbases but perhaps you could have planets give bonuses to the system starbase too.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 5, 2017

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not sure I can continue playing Stellaris in its current state. The slow down as the game goes on, the precursor homeworlds not appearing, the war games event not completing properly; these all pale in comparison to this immersion destroying bug. For the love of christ, Wiz, LordMune, please fix this ASAP.

Hmm, those sections are a bit close to each oth- wait a second

What idiots built this ring world?! Certainly couldn't have been my engineers repairing that section and working from plans they were reading upside down.

Oh great, who signed off on that construction? Solar wind is going to push those sections apart due to their lack of structural stability.

Awful. Looks like it was built by the space-faring equivalent of that goon who sawed through his floor joists.

So yeah if you repair the damaged section in Alpha Refuge, and I assume other partially destroyed ringworlds, the damaged section gets flipped around compared to the rest of the ringworld. Obviously this is unacceptable and I hope you fired the idiot responsible for this blunder.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Groverworld is real

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Korgan posted:

So yeah if you repair the damaged section in Alpha Refuge, and I assume other partially destroyed ringworlds, the damaged section gets flipped around compared to the rest of the ringworld. Obviously this is unacceptable and I hope you fired the idiot responsible for this blunder.

I assume the Cybrex were really killed when they all moved in and got fried by the sun’s searing heat and radiation, and they were so embarrassed that in their dying moments they made up the whole “other races showed up and killed us because we were so badass at war.”

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Psycho Landlord posted:

Groverworld is real

New ringworld-exclusive edict: Insulated Stairs Initiative. Net Effect: does nothing.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
this thread :allears:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

LogisticEarth posted:

New ringworld-exclusive edict: Insulated Stairs Initiative. Net Effect: does nothing.

If Wiz or another paradox goon managed to sneak in a loving goverhouse reference in this game...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Any construction around a star named grover will spawn the model with a random 15 degree tilt.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

First, assess the situation. How far behind are you? You need to do this to determine your War Goals. You will have to use your current knowledge so if you are really unprepared, pick the cheapest possible option. I usually go for Destroy Frontier Outpost or Humiliate. If you can answer these questions with any certainty:

A) Are you near your fleet cap?
B) Are they 5k over you? 2k?
C) What techs are they using? What are you using?

Then you can decide if adding a planet or two is feasible. So now you have a goal: you will either fight for a draw or fight to win the war after a delaying action.

Next, send corvettes to scout the enemy empire. Your first target being the capitol because the fleet is usually based there (check diplo screen, the little planet near the bottom when the empire is selected will take you there). Send as many scouts as you can to find out where they have stations and fleets - your ideal targets are planets without stations. At this point you will also upgrade your fleet IF your tech differences are direct counters (i.e. you have missiles and they have a lot of PD). Upgrade all your ship designs. Time and money must be spent wisely: build as many of the biggest ship class you have available. Make sure to keep track of your energy if you don't have a good reserve. Then proceed to the next step.

If the enemy invades immediately, do not engage unless you can arrive at your system in time to hang out behind the planet (let the enemy fleet engage the station, then close range so you don't lose as many ships) and your space station adds enough firepower to almost even it out. This situation is unlikely as the AI won't declare war without a massive advantage so don't rely on it.

Now you send in the boys. Ideally each fleet is at least strong enough to take out a space station and a defense station. You need to have one fleet acting as a distraction. Make sure armies go with it in case the enemy fleet goes for your invasion fleet(s). It also helps if you try to run down their transports with a small fleet. If you can't spare an actual fleet, use like 5 corvettes to engage so the transports have to emergency FTL or the enemy has to send a fleet to bail them out. The AI will focus on rebuilding armies and retaking their own planets, during which time the Length of War will decrease and you can build up your fleet to reduce Relative Size of Fleet.

So now you occupy a couple enemy planets and hopefully your fleets are mostly intact (it's okay if you lost one). Depending on your previously defined goals, your next step is continue harassing or hole up in your empire and wait. If you can win the war, you move out when they try to recapture territory. Now this is when you target core systems as the enemy empire will have divided attention. You will replenish your fleet while their production dwindles. Once your fleet surpasses the enemy fleet, engage. Even if you take heavy losses, you can rebuild faster. You will win. If you hole up, you just wait and wait. And wait. Eventually a truce will be offered if you delayed them enough and you managed to keep the ship production going.

One crazy thing that works sometimes is to engage the enemy fleet right away if you're within 2k difference (only do this if your other neighbors are chill and your economy is good). You will get smashed but the enemy will lose almost as much, meaning you are now both fighting for a truce.

Fighting a war at a disadvantage is extremely difficult in Stellaris but if you pull it off, it is incredibly rewarding.

Source;
The Fart of War
3 DONG HORSE

e: added a bit about War Goals and heavily edited because I didn't realize my initial phone post was formatted so poorly and it triggered me

I think B) is the important one, I had ~17k while they were at 36k. My AI ally actually invited me to the war, and he was supposedly "superior" while the enemy we'd be double teaming was "superior". So of course my ally gets absolutely stomped, leaving me with a 36k doom stack just ripping around. My war goal was just to blow up a frontier station which I did, but couldn't peace out because I wasn't the main dude.

Kinda related, but what's the best way to deal with the war in heaven? I've got a Benevolent Interventionist who gave me some free poo poo, and an evil Human Remant both waking up. Just sign the peace treaty? I've only got a 50k fleet at this point (at cap) so zero chance of actually fighting (i assume).

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think B) is the important one, I had ~17k while they were at 36k. My AI ally actually invited me to the war, and he was supposedly "superior" while the enemy we'd be double teaming was "superior". So of course my ally gets absolutely stomped, leaving me with a 36k doom stack just ripping around. My war goal was just to blow up a frontier station which I did, but couldn't peace out because I wasn't the main dude.

Kinda related, but what's the best way to deal with the war in heaven? I've got a Benevolent Interventionist who gave me some free poo poo, and an evil Human Remant both waking up. Just sign the peace treaty? I've only got a 50k fleet at this point (at cap) so zero chance of actually fighting (i assume).

Oh, yeah I was assuming a 1v1 fight. In this case, the AI is really bad and I am pretty sure you are hosed. Next time an ally declares war, hit the "rally to this fleet" button at the top of the little fleet box so the AI fleets join you. I am sure this isn't' intended but the AI will occasionally engage without the player fleet even if it will die without your support (because the war was only even when your fleets added up). It's weird because when you fight against an enemy alliance they always meet up. I've only noticed this with AI empires allied with players. Sorry for your loss. :(

This is a good learning experience though. Make sure to keep up with your allies' relationships with their neighbors/rivals. Check your ally's DPs and NAPs and who they are rivaling, compare relative fleet powers*, and how they are positioned (i.e. lots of border touching = likely conflict). Sometimes it's worth bailing on a defensive pact if you think war is brewing.

*it'll be relative to you if you only have vision of your ally. For example, if your ally is superior with 17k, you have 11k, and the enemy is superior, then you can ballpark the enemy fleet from 16-21k. If you check on that once every few years, you should be able to keep up in fleet power without overspending, too.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 5, 2017

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

TGLT posted:

To add to that, I actually really liked the Zuul and they highlighted just how different empires were in SoTS. Everyone else is playing some sort of 4X calculated strategy game, but Zuul are playing deathmatch. Say in a four arm galaxy game with four people, by the time the three other empires were really solidfying their hold midway up their arm the Zuul were already bleeding their whole arm dry because they had to, because over-harvesting pretty quickly ruins planets. And their FTL fed well into that - their hyperlanes weren't just artificial they were also unstable. After a decent number of turns they'd just collapse, and honestly you rarely had a reason to remake them. Zuul were all about forward momentum.

The different FTLs in SOTS only worked because their respective empires were designed with them in mind. That doesn't fit well with Stellaris's focus on randomly generated and custom empires.

Zuul had the best voice acting too. "The universe is healing, Dominus. Shall we wound it again?"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Depends on what you wanted to do! If it was a part of your strategy, sure, restart or go back to an earlier save. I'm always taking the science-pick first and I sure as hell would restart if I accidentally click on mastery over nature for example

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Uh Wiz I'm digging around in the deposit files and I think there was a copy-paste error with the spawn modifiers for Alien Pets and Betharian Stone, unless the intended implication is that Betharian Stone is secretly animal poop.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Powering an empire on precursor coprolites sounds like a neat idea, though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

iirc it's the fleet icons that are the biggest part of the problem, although saying that that isn't an engine problem is strange.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

Uh Wiz I'm digging around in the deposit files and I think there was a copy-paste error with the spawn modifiers for Alien Pets and Betharian Stone, unless the intended implication is that Betharian Stone is secretly animal poop.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Running a negative energy income is fine, even for extended periods of time - you can easily cover the deficit by just trading to refill your stockpile.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's important to note that Lanchester's Square Law models combat in Stellaris quite well. Due to shields and carryover HP, the exponent is even higher than 2. If the opposing force got a chance to take your inferior fleets piecemeal, their effective fighting strength was at least 4:1 compared yours and your ally's fleets in those separate engagements.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Main Paineframe posted:

Running a negative energy income is fine, even for extended periods of time - you can easily cover the deficit by just trading to refill your stockpile.

I've gone through whole wars like that, peddling star charts, active sensor links, and spare minerals all around the galaxy while I fight.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

kaffo posted:

I love the Xenophobe's voice. It's the utter spite you can hear when he talks about aliens "Dirty xenos have invaded our land!"
So good :smug:
I just checked - Xenophobe has 13 different variants of "enemy declared war," which all seem to match a pattern of:

The nauseating xenos have declared war on us
The abominable xenos have declared war on us
The contemptible xenos have declared war on us
The loathesome xenos have declared war on us
The revolting xenos have declared war on us

(and so forth.)

Likewise, it seems, for players declaring war - "We have declared war on the ______ xenos."

edit: Huh. The egalitarian advisor has an alternate "primitive enlightened" line in distinctly different voice. Weird.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 5, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

God, that ringworld model is so loving ugly.

Don't see an improved one on the workshop either. :smith:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Oh, yeah I was assuming a 1v1 fight. In this case, the AI is really bad and I am pretty sure you are hosed. Next time an ally declares war, hit the "rally to this fleet" button at the top of the little fleet box so the AI fleets join you. I am sure this isn't' intended but the AI will occasionally engage without the player fleet even if it will die without your support (because the war was only even when your fleets added up). It's weird because when you fight against an enemy alliance they always meet up. I've only noticed this with AI empires allied with players. Sorry for your loss. :(

This is a good learning experience though. Make sure to keep up with your allies' relationships with their neighbors/rivals. Check your ally's DPs and NAPs and who they are rivaling, compare relative fleet powers*, and how they are positioned (i.e. lots of border touching = likely conflict). Sometimes it's worth bailing on a defensive pact if you think war is brewing.

*it'll be relative to you if you only have vision of your ally. For example, if your ally is superior with 17k, you have 11k, and the enemy is superior, then you can ballpark the enemy fleet from 16-21k. If you check on that once every few years, you should be able to keep up in fleet power without overspending, too.

Instead of rallying to me (my fleet was upgrading at the time) my ally just bee lined into enemy and died. Actually ended up white peacing in the end, I just ran my fleet in circles (hyperlanes only) and the ai just chased me around then gave up.

Fought the same enemy again (again invited into the war) and managed to get 1 whole planet, but also destroyed the 3 outposts that were pushing my border in.

I'm playing on a medium galaxy, so at this point there's only 4 regular empires (dunno how many there were to start with, a few def got eaten) and 2 FE. The friendly observer FE that wanks everyone to sign a peace treaty wakes up; not awful I guess. But then the dastardly Human Ascendancy wakes up and tells me to be their thrall, I say no, they declare war, I alt-F4, reload game and sign the peace treaty.

War in heaven starts up with myself + AE vs tiny poo poo empire + Human AE. Then the remaining 3 empires form a league of non-aligned powers, whic one of them for some reason leaves the next month and is immediately attacked by the Bad AE.

So of course my AE ally has his whole 250k+ fleet attacking the poo poo empire that has maybe 10k, meanwhile I'm the Bad AE is blowing up all my starbases and his dam jump drives and hopping over all my hyperlane defenses (not that they'd be any good).

Currently situation looks ok, I really just want to survive to repair my busted up ringworld since I've never done that before. Gotta get those cheevos!

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Meldonox posted:

I was reading an article about the upcoming patch making all FTL travel the same and it got me wondering, did the asymmetric mobility make things an unbalanced mess in.. what was it, Sword of the Stars? I haven't played a ton of either this or that so I'm not really familiar with how well or poorly it balanced out.

It honestly struck me as a weird excuse to enforce the strategic meta for multiplayer.

Also I still wish there was a slider for average distance between empires beyond "everyone jammed except that one empire that spawned on the other side" and "lol, enjoy your 50/50 of being either alone or almost inside a fallen empire's boundaries".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

well after getting impatient around 2235 I just spawned the Contingency in and had a lovely fun time of things not being really difficult at all because between me and the now-awakened machine empire there was around 800k fleet power stomping on them

but holy poo poo does whittling down that 20k planet health take a long rear end time

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Followed the thread's advice and finally won a war! Also discovered that "liberate planet" does not mean I get the planet!

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Followed the thread's advice and finally won a war! Also discovered that "liberate planet" does not mean I get the planet!

Liberate just changes their civics to match yours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

IAmTheRad posted:

Liberate just changes their civics to match yours.

Temporarily until the factions based on the existing pops ethos change it back.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Baronjutter posted:

Temporarily until the factions based on the existing pops ethos change it back.

At the end of the entire war, the planet becomes an independent empire. All planets liberated in a single war become a new empire. And then ethics diversion takes place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

IAmTheRad posted:

At the end of the entire war, the planet becomes an independent empire. All planets liberated in a single war become a new empire. And then ethics diversion takes place.

I've found about 50% of the time they eventually just switch back. So you take that spiritualist authoritarian empire and liberate them into an egalitarian materialist empire. They are good and your friends, but all their pops are still authoritarian and spiritualist. After many many years a few pops might actually switch to the new state ethos but not enough, and the huge faction pressures result in them embracing authoritarianism or spiritualism. Before you know it they are evil again and hate you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah the biggest thing for new players is that fleet power is weirdly fake in the early game and your 3k of corvettes can easily bite it to 1.5k of destroyers or something just because each individual destroyer takes longer to die.

Then later on everyone has battleships and the best thing I've found is to install the mod that lets you forcibly tell your destroyers (or cruisers if you wish) to hang out in front of the battleships. I did pretty well this past game by giving my destroyers a kinetic artillery and point defense and having them chill out 10 units in front of the battleships.

Baronjutter posted:

I've found about 50% of the time they eventually just switch back. So you take that spiritualist authoritarian empire and liberate them into an egalitarian materialist empire. They are good and your friends, but all their pops are still authoritarian and spiritualist. After many many years a few pops might actually switch to the new state ethos but not enough, and the huge faction pressures result in them embracing authoritarianism or spiritualism. Before you know it they are evil again and hate you.

You know who doesn't have this problem? Hive minds, robots, and fanatical purifiers :getin:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, "Liberate Planet" is entirely in the "we will, in fact, be greeted as liberators" sense and works approximately as often and as well as it does in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Baronjutter posted:

Almost like democratic crusading and nation building doesn't work. :v:

I guess the liberation war goal would work as intended if you actually try and liberate empires that are ethically aligned with you, but have been conquered. Kind of a niche situation.

• Locked thread