Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

mutata posted:

I need to play Chaos Theory again. And Blacklist. And I want another Splinter Cell.

I would love a new SC too. If you haven't played the gamecube/PS2 double agent, by the way, check it out. It's based on chaos theory and is much better than the PC game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I love and will protect my retarded sons

Maybe someday they will actually learn how to take a picture.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'll have you know Prompto is a professional selfie taker.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there some Cloud Strife costume DLC or is that what that guy on the right always looks like?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Is there some Cloud Strife costume DLC or is that what that guy on the right always looks like?
prompto just looks like that but 'spiky blonde hair' isn't really exclusive to cloud

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

Say what you like about SH:Homecoming, it still had a bangin' Yamaoka soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsArSDDwOv0
Origins had a really nice soundtrack too, it had this eerie dream-like ambiance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KCo6VzPcNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu5fMBaG9w4

Jay Rust posted:

The latter and he's more like Zell from 8 than Cloud.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sure but it’s iconic to the series, I was just curious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll have you know Prompto is a professional selfie taker.

Every shot is overexposed as hell.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I want to play Valkyrie Profile but they never put it on PSN, I don't have a PSP, and prices for original PS1 copies are ridiculous.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

The latter and he's more like Zell from 8 than Cloud.

that's great. Zell was my absolute favorite.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

I want to play Valkyrie Profile but they never put it on PSN, I don't have a PSP, and prices for original PS1 copies are ridiculous.

You can emulate it, that's how I played it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
when i played FF15 i told him i wanted to see more pics of the sexy British dude and he obliged by showing me tons of action shots of his butt

prompto is a good boy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Prompto wasn't a character I expected to like but I came away from the game liking him a lot. Helped that his Brotherhood episode was pretty good too.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Raxivace posted:

Prompto wasn't a character I expected to like but I came away from the game liking him a lot. Helped that his Brotherhood episode was pretty good too.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I cant wait to play it on PC. I haven't played any of the episodes yet. The music in this game owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Speaking of ff9, I found out that someone modded ff9's pc version at some point to, among other things, let you get beatrix in the party permanently.

I wonder how hard it was to do that. She was already a character but idk how much modding it'd take to change her over to a permanent slot. I know there was a thing with certain characters sharing the same stats so that, for example, if you grinded Marcus up to level 99, his stat growth would transfer over to Eiko, and idk if Beatrix was similarly tied to another character's stats/levels or not. I also dunno if her already being a temp party member made it easier or not.

What I'd like to see is someone somehow add Lani in as a party member but I suspect that that's nigh impossible (or at least highly highly improbably since she was only ever a boss), and plus I'm probably the only person who cares enough about Lani to wanna see her get fleshed out more as a party member.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

Every shot is overexposed as hell.

Prompto could literally be using that filter. Now as for why :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raxivace posted:

It's a strong as hell cast, even the token beefcake was funny and cool

Noct is kinda boring but ehhh that's true of 99% of JRPG protags

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

precision posted:

It's a strong as hell cast, even the token beefcake was funny and cool

Noct is kinda boring but ehhh that's true of 99% of JRPG protags

Just let the boy fish. It's all he wants, not all this other bullshit.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I find that the protagonist tends to end up as one of the more boring members of the cast in most things.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gladio seems like the most boring too me because over the entire course of the game I can't think of one interesting thing he was really involved in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are a lot of stories where they can't really write a fun protag but it makes the really good protags stick out to me much more. i'm grateful that pretty much every falcom game where the protagonist is an actual character has them as one of the most fun characters in the cast, it's true for pretty much all the trails games and the duos in zwei 1 and 2 are both emblematic of all the best stuff in that series. even popful mail is pretty cool cause she's just a bounty hunter who wants to go beat up a guy for cash

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Gladio seems like the most boring too me because over the entire course of the game I can't think of one interesting thing he was really involved in.

that time he got weirdly mad at noct

Or that more justified time but then dragged it out over a whole dungeon

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Koudelka and Yuri from Shadow Hearts will always be my favorite JRPG protags. (Though Papa Nier is close.)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I find that the protagonist tends to end up as one of the more boring members of the cast in most things.

This is why Berseria is good

It's also why One Piece is the best anime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dunkey did his odyssey video today and now i guess i'm aborting that botw restart to play more odyssey instead. like half that video was--not just levels i've never seen before but entire mechanics i'd never seen or tried. wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Z2I9x4Pd0

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

dunkey did his odyssey video today and now i guess i'm aborting that botw restart to play more odyssey instead. like half that video was--not just levels i've never seen before but entire mechanics i'd never seen or tried. wow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Z2I9x4Pd0

I was scratching my head when you said you had no desire to keep playing after the ending. There's so much cool stuff in that game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what can i say, i'm an endless font of bad decisions and poor opinions but by god i'm willing to be corrected

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

glam rock hamhock posted:

*me shouting "hunter x hunter is better" from the far-off distance*

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

still though we better get a monster hunter on the switch soon in america or i'm gonna riot

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

there are a lot of stories where they can't really write a fun protag but it makes the really good protags stick out to me much more. i'm grateful that pretty much every falcom game where the protagonist is an actual character has them as one of the most fun characters in the cast, it's true for pretty much all the trails games and the duos in zwei 1 and 2 are both emblematic of all the best stuff in that series. even popful mail is pretty cool cause she's just a bounty hunter who wants to go beat up a guy for cash

My favorite JRPG protags are Justin from Grandia and Jack Russel. Protagonists are generally reactive as characters but Justin is the one who drives the entire plot and that's great. And Jack Russel don't give a gently caress about poo poo, he's like the Towelie episode of South Park where the kids get involved in a convoluted plot and they deliberately ignore everything that doesn't have to do with their game system.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gladio is weird in that Brotherhood plants the seed that he always kind of resented Noctis. Plus there are the weird fights in the game already mentioned.

OTOH there’s the entire rest of FF15 where they go on goofy fishing trips and stuff together.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

still though we better get a monster hunter on the switch soon in america or i'm gonna riot

We're already getting MH World on PC (notably without loot boxes). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

Koudelka and Yuri from Shadow Hearts will always be my favorite JRPG protags. (Though Papa Nier is close.)

MY MAN. I really need to get around to replaying those games.

So I've never actually just gone to Kotaku because, well, I don't think I have to explain that, but... why is it impossible to find their review section? Like literally impossible? There seems to be no section at all for Reviews.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

chumbler posted:

We're already getting MH World on PC (notably without loot boxes). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

In the hellish dystopian cyberfuture of 2017 I just can't believe a PC MonHun can be good

(actually i've read/watched literally 0 media about it, I prefer not letting my internal hype engine run for games that are a ways out)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kotaku doesn't really have reviews anymore, they only review very, very big releases and they don't give scores or even really big recs, they're just rundowns of the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Koudelka and Yuri from Shadow Hearts will always be my favorite JRPG protags.

:yeah:

Johnny Garland was a big step down from Yuri, but Yuri is also a really tough protagonist to top.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

glam rock hamhock posted:

Your example doesn't match your argument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad Sony isn't giving me any good free games this month so I can try to knock out my backlog of... let's see... 20 games (and that's just the ones I bought this year)

Giving the Until Dawn VR game away free is really loving tempting me to just bite the bullet and get a PSVR :shepspends:

• Locked thread