Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tae posted:

Stormblood was also pretty good from what I heard

It is, though it suffers a bit from having its focus split between Ala Mhigo and Doma, so in the end I feel that Heavensward was a better story. The story patches should be good though, if 4.1 was any indication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

It is, though it suffers a bit from having its focus split between Ala Mhigo and Doma, so in the end I feel that Heavensward was a better story. The story patches should be good though, if 4.1 was any indication.

I'd say HW is more consistently good but no part of it besides The Vault ending cutscene was quite as interesting and fun as the Azim Steppe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

xillia 2 would have been better if it dropped all the spirtual metaphysics and focused on being stuck in a poo poo job that involves destroying universes to keep the modern world going because capitalism destroyed the environment imo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dear RPG Thread,

I would like to know more about Tengai Makyou Zero, because of the translation patch that is out now, please. Can you help me?

Love,
Something Awful Forums User Bongo Bill

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This sounds a lot like my problems with the plot of FFX. Basically I hate the fact that the Fayth are spirit people that talk to you because they're the ones who enable Sin until finally asking you to help stop Sin, not because they feel bad about the fact that they're responsible for a one-thousand-year genocide against humanity, but because "we're tired, we don't want to summon anymore." They could have reached out to literally any summoner who encountered them and told them that all they had to do to defeat Sin forever was to beat up your summons after killing Sin, but instead they waited one thousand years until they got bored. There was nothing inherently special about Tidus, Yuna, or anyone else in the party granting them special powers required to kill Sin, it was just knowledge of Yu Yevon that the Fayth told them about. The Fayth could have prevented the whole game from happening and could have stopped Sin at any time but just didn't because they weren't tired yet.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'd say HW is more consistently good but no part of it besides The Vault ending cutscene was quite as interesting and fun as the Azim Steppe.

The Naadam was insanely good. Especially Sadu just being the Black Magiest Black Mage.

Bongo Bill posted:

Dear RPG Thread,

I would like to know more about Tengai Makyou Zero, because of the translation patch that is out now, please. Can you help me?

Love,

(okay that's Tengai Makyou 4 but whatever)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bongo Bill posted:

Dear RPG Thread,

Love,

you need to set up bsnes to use the patch

but also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrsryCp6Fk

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Happy fifteen hundred pages y'all

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Only if you don't use a custom page length!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I hope we reach the second page soon, this one's getting kind of slow to load

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Really Pants posted:

I hope we reach the second page soon, this one's getting kind of slow to load

Do you think we need a new thread? I can put one together.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This thread should last forever IMO.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Raxivace posted:

agreed

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if u wait a month between reading the thread its basically starting an old rpg save file after not playing it for a while like wait where am i supposed to be going

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I don’t think we need one but now I want one to make a new game plus joke

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's just the best RPG of that console (generation), with one of the best RPG villains of all time.

The art style is nice but the animations and love put into it are really just incredible.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Doubling back to this because I want to talk about it. There was a good LP thread going on a while back of the entire dot hack series that explained a LOT to me about the "lore" of the real-world, and it turns out that what's happening in the actual world is usually the most interesting part of the entire series.

What the games/anime (at least the anime that was shown on TV, the supplemental anime that come with the games is where most of this goes on I believe) do a very poor job of explaining to you is that the real world of .hack is in a sort of parallel dystopia of our world, as opposed to the primary difference being "Earth but also with VR helmets." At some point, a group of internet bad men shut down the internet temporarily, which crippled society for the short amount of time it was down because of all the things we have now that require the internet (think air traffic controllers as a simple but major example). As a result of this, what is functionally the UN took control over the entire internet and it's distribution, meaning only certain people were allowed to even use the internet, and even less were allowed to do any internet development. CC Corp, the ones who make The World, are basically one of the only (if not implicitly the actual only) companies in the world allowed to make online games, which also makes them a UN-approved business. That's why there's a cover-up of the comas going on, as another poster mentioned. During the original hacking, people were also put in comas, so the ability of the internet to put people into comas isn't a magical attribute of just the game, so that's why people aren't necessarily making as big a deal out of the situation as you would expect them to, but trapping people's consciousness in the game is new but is also way harder to prove, and is only discovered by a very small amount of people.

well, at least it's supposed to be a REALLY good game.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Raxivace posted:

Or at least for a few thousand pages when the thread breaking bug finally hits.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
The Trump thread in CSPAM regularly made it over 10k pages before it started having issues, this thread is pretty safe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Agean90 posted:

if u wait a month between reading the thread its basically starting an old rpg save file after not playing it for a while like wait where am i supposed to be going

I just start again from the beginning every time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i support a new thread just so it can be named "RPG thread: New Game+"

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

RPG Thread II: Grind Harder

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
RPG Thread 1.5 Remix: The Midquel Nobody Asked For

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
rpg thread: posting returns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Animes of Yesteryear, Tidday

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hopefully the next thread can go in new directions with a lower D-Ratio.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

The Animes of Yesteryear, Tidday

Yesterear

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RPG thread: Yes, you can post about non-JRPGs here

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
You don’t really need to read RPG Thread 1 before 2. They share the same world and have a few recurring characters but the plots are essentially stand-alone.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Getsuya posted:

You don’t really need to read RPG Thread 1 before 2. They share the same world and have a few recurring characters but the plots are essentially stand-alone.

My regdate may say 2007 but I'm actually a 3,000 year old forum dragon that only appears as a hot girl avatar.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The thread is 1500 pages old, barely looks 18.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
The official translation of the Thread sucks and completely erases most of the character building and quite a few subplots. Luckily I’m working on a fan re-translation so people can read it the way it was meant to be read.

Edit: also a rebalance patch

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually, RPG Thread 1 and 2 both suck really bad. Sorry for your bad taste though, I guess?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RPG Thread 2 gets good about 50 pages in.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Terper posted:

Actually, RPG Thread 1 and 2 both suck really bad. Sorry for your bad taste though, I guess?
It's actually good tho let me write a few posts failing to convince you why

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ill tell you what really sucks: these jokes

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Endorph posted:

Here’s a screenshot from the crappy English version. In the original Japanese Endorph is super nice and actually enjoys crappy running gags. The English version is a complete hack job.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Endorph posted:

i mean it's true but you shouldn't say it :mad:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Here’s a screenshot from the crappy English version. In the original Japanese Endorph is super nice and actually enjoys crappy running gags. The English version is a complete hack job.
a lot of translations have issues and joking around like this kind of makes me uncomfortable because it leads to people acting like anyone who has mild issues with something that's actually poorly done is some kind of weeaboo or obsessive nerd. translation is an art form that takes a lot of talent and skill and i respect the people involved too much to act like the idea of translations being good or bad is nerd punditry.

Not that some people aren't idiots about them, but like, half the time the people being idiots have a point. Like the Fire Emblem: Fates translation is really bad. Granted not because they cut the facepetting minigame, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

I BET RPG THREAD FUCKS LIKE A TIGER