Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Neither. I would go for a 12" model, and simply not turn it up too loud. A 6.5" or 8" is not going to have enough low frequency extension to matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does anyone know of any IR outlets extensions that can be controlled by a Harmony 650? Just a single plug, trying to use it for a Raspberry Pi.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Question is with different drivers doing the same job, are they in phase? You could ironically be using more drivers to get less output if they're not moving together... Your subs could be stomping the gently caress out of the room but if the drivers on the towers aren't moving at the exact same time you could effectively be using them to suck low end out of the room.

I find it's far more effort than it's worth to accurately sort phase issues on setups like that when I can just set the crossover so the subs to do everything from 80hz down and only have to worry about room placement for them.

I figured Audyssey would handle a lot of that and the rest of it would naturally work itself out when I'm farting around with test tones and an audio meter in order to set the EQs on all four subs (and the levels on my center channel which is powered).

But we'll see. I didn't find my Audyssey mic until this morning so I haven't been doing any fiddling.

I think I did set the mains as small and the crossover to 80 and the subs on the mains were still getting a decent workout, and this would be my preferred arrangement, but I was drunk so I can't remember for sure.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Onkyo TX-NR676 y/n? It delivers the power I need. I seen a comment somewhere suggesting it wont do HDR @ 60hz, is that even a thing? It clearly states 4K@60 in the product overview

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got my replacement receiver from A4L and this one is working great. Second times the charm I guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

codo27 posted:

Onkyo TX-NR676 y/n? It delivers the power I need. I seen a comment somewhere suggesting it wont do HDR @ 60hz, is that even a thing? It clearly states 4K@60 in the product overview

I think you need 2.0a and I can't find any specs that list whether or not the 676 is 2.0a, so, uh, who fuckin knows?

I'd probably email Onkyo and ask them. I'd be surprised if it didn't have 2.0a but I don't really keep up with HDMI specs because my PJ is 1080p so anything will work.

Other than that, I like Onkyos a lot so go for it.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I am considering upgrading my stereo amp + old bookshelf speakers (2.0?) setup to 3.0 or 3.1. If possible, I’d like the option to upgrade this setup to 5.1 after we move - probably in 1 to 3 years. Is wireless 5.1 (e.g. Play-Fi or Sonos or ??) now or in the near future a practical and good solution? The idea appeals to me, but if it just sucks then I can wait or deal with hiding wires.

My TV is in a small room, and we often use it to play music via Apple TV or Chromecast. I’m more concerned about decent quality (clarity more than volume) and a minimal interface (fewer knobs, remotes, screens, and wires) than I am with best bang-for-buck. I’m coming around on the idea of a soundbar with HDMI inputs like the Paradigm PW (though a bit cheaper would be nice). If the consensus is that these are terrible and the wireless doesn’t work, then I can suck it up and buy a real receiver.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

scrubs season six posted:

I'd probably email Onkyo and ask them.

Cant find a fuckin contact option anywhere on their site. You need to enter your model number AND serial number to register for their forums. Thats a piece of poo poo

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Also curious about the 3.0 expandable option.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Having a newborn makes everything take forever. Finally tried this, no dice. It initialized and said "complete setup on TV" or whatever exactly it said but no HDMI output to TV to make it possible.

Time to contact Denon, since this is already a refurb unit hopefully I can get a replacement unit.

HDMI board was confirmed as being dead. Denon had no boards left to fix it so I just received a refurb avrx1300w.

Looks like just the slightly newer and better of my same old unit, had the 1100w before. Is there any reason it is poo poo or bad or that I should complain?

Related question, are any of the receiver control apps good? Paid or free.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I forgot to mention this code: SIMMONS10 gets you 10% off at sonos until oct 29th I think. Well, it worked for me a couple days ago.

I bought a pair of One's, saved a good chunk there

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

Related question, are any of the receiver control apps good? Paid or free.
The one for my Integra is OK but in most ways less good than just using the actual remote.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is getting a separate pre/pro and amp worth the splurge over a $500-$600 receiver? Am I wrong in thinking it makes sense to buy a decent amp and upgrade the component responsible for switching video/supporting whatever new audio standard comes out?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Got my sonos “ones”

Wonder how they’ll work. I’m guessing like a play 1 with Alexa/echo dot

:thunk:

I’m officially that dude with speakers everywhere

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Residency Evil posted:

Is getting a separate pre/pro and amp worth the splurge over a $500-$600 receiver? Am I wrong in thinking it makes sense to buy a decent amp and upgrade the component responsible for switching video/supporting whatever new audio standard comes out?

Economies of scale and slowness of new feature adoption make it not worth it to buy a separate pre-pro.

Buy a receiver instead. If you need more power, get one that has preamp outputs and get a power amp.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KozmoNaut posted:

Economies of scale and slowness of new feature adoption make it not worth it to buy a separate pre-pro.

Buy a receiver instead. If you need more power, get one that has preamp outputs and get a power amp.

Gotcha, but then why pay for a crappy amp that you're not using? Or are you saying there are no good processors that you can get for less than a receiver with preouts?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KozmoNaut posted:

I generally agree but that said I think this is a terrible time to buy an expensive [$1000+] receiver because HDMI 2.1 is starting to be a thing and it looks like that will finally stabilize the market for a bit. It also seems like it takes a year or two for the companies that make receivers to actually get it right, there's models coming out now that still have HDCP handshaking problems.

Pre outs are such a scam, in that you generally have to pay at least $800 to get them while the ability to do so is literally built into every single receiver. I kind of wish pre-pros were more of a downmarket thing but I understand people hesitant to buy more components, etc. Something like this size with pre-outs in place of whatever tiny amp they stuffed in there would be a killer product.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

It also seems like it takes a year or two for the companies that make receivers to actually get it right, there's models coming out now that still have HDCP handshaking problems.

This is because HDCP is loving dumb and should never have been a thing. Even pro grade companies can't get it right...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Residency Evil posted:

No. KozmoNaut pretty much hit the nail on the head though. The problem with separates is that they're not considerably better, and instead of buying a $1000 receiver that will be outdated in 2 years, you're buying a $1200 preamp + processor and $1000 amp that will be outdated in 2 years. OR a $1000 amp, $1000 preamp, and a $1000 processor... etc

Residency Evil posted:

Gotcha, but then why pay for a crappy amp that you're not using?
Because it's a package deal. It's cheaper to just throw everything into one product than make and sell 3 separate devices.
You buy the preamp and processor and get the amps for free.

Alternatively it might be cool to just get a pre-pro if you had all active speakers :shrug:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i can't really find a answer but do you guys know if a Sonos playbase can interface with a receiver correctly? I want a receiver for the HDMI switching etc :(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

i can't really find a answer but do you guys know if a Sonos playbase can interface with a receiver correctly? I want a receiver for the HDMI switching etc :(
Not really, there *might* be something with an optical out but it's not a common feature and not worth spending hundreds of dollars to get. I think it's designed to only take signal from a TV, yes? You could get a stand-alone HDMI switch if you're running out of inputs from your TV.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah it only works with optical, which is dumb. I love the stupid thing but kinda wish I went a more traditional route, oh well lol.

HDMI switcher it is

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

KozmoNaut posted:

100% this. I bought an Emotiva XPA-5 a long time ago when they were having a great sale and when I went to upgrade my receiver years later I still just ended up getting a receiver.

A lot of pre/pro companies have product cycles of like 5 years vs annual for receivers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just rewired my whole system with high speed HDMI and Ethernet and... 60hz hum from my sub. Fortunately I had a ground loop isolator handy but it’s still annoying. The sub is the only 3 prong thing in the whole system.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

It's the high speed cabling allowing the hum to collect at the speakers where previously it was held up by your slow speed cables and therefore less noticeable.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

dude having sonos all over your place is dope. I didn't realize you could group them all then adjust each one individually. Music everywhere

bubblewrapsky
Nov 1, 2010
feeling really lost here and looking for a little direction. I never owned a real amp/receiver before and would appreciate any help

Currently im using some Yamaha NSF51 paired with NS-F51 centre /rear. These are all run using individual cheap car amps hooked up to a htpc. I'm happy with the sound i get out of them but i really think its time i moved to a real receiver.

I live in the uk where audio equipment is either expensive or not available so I've been using Amazon to get an idea of what's available. My only real must have is 10bit hdcp support.

So far ive been looking at:

Pioneer VSX-831-B 5.2 Network AV Receiver with Bluetooth - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01EJ5WC4S/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_WXB.zb2AAV7CD

Onkyo TX-NR575E AV Receiver Black 4K HDR WIFI Bluetooth Chromecast https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y2GWV3K/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_B8B.zbDQB9Y35

How far off am I? Does any one have any recommendations for the low-mid range thats available in the uk?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Hey I just want to say thank this thread for the help a few months ago because my system kicks rear end and I notice how much better things are every time I was something, versus the built in speakers I got used to

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

If you buy a receiver with preamp inputs,, you can use it as a straight amplifier after the processing section becomes dated.

Very useful for things like whole home audio or adding additional amplification channels when a new surround format comes out.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Scrapez posted:

If you buy a receiver with preamp inputs,, you can use it as a straight amplifier after the processing section becomes dated.

Very useful for things like whole home audio or adding additional amplification channels when a new surround format comes out.

I'm using an old pre-HDMI Onkyo with Multichannel (5.1) inputs attached to the 5.1 channel outputs on a USB Xonar and works a treat with all the modern formats etc. I can still use Pro Logic II/DTS:X emulation on stereo sources too by hooking up the TOSLINK cable to the SPDIF out and just switching inputs.

When I eventually get a newer HDMI receiver I'll probably look at using it for HHA, or just a surround amp for my PC, but right now it does the job real well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I'm still using an old Pioneer VSX-1015 connected to my Samsung 4K TV via optical, works just fine.

This upgradeitis a lot of people have is bullshit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Anyone know for certain which 4k / hdcp 2.2 compliant receivers work with the Comcast X1 remote?
I need a stereo receiver for the living room to power a couple bookshelf speakers, but the wife really wants to use the cable remote to control the volume since she already uses it for the voice control.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone know for certain which 4k / hdcp 2.2 compliant receivers work with the Comcast X1 remote?
I need a stereo receiver for the living room to power a couple bookshelf speakers, but the wife really wants to use the cable remote to control the volume since she already uses it for the voice control.

Going to go way out on a limb and assume Comcast hardware doesn't play nice with CEC. I guess you have to go here, the list of brands looks pretty long. In my experience the stuff like power and volume is fairly standard within a given brand.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

Going to go way out on a limb and assume Comcast hardware doesn't play nice with CEC. I guess you have to go here, the list of brands looks pretty long. In my experience the stuff like power and volume is fairly standard within a given brand.

Yeah I already consulted the extensive list but I was hoping for a more personal affirmation that the poo poo is in fact fully functional or if anyone has had problems or limited functionality, to what degree they work.
That or just a recommendation for a stereo / 2.1 receiver you all like.

I think you recommended me this a while back:
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8270&class=Stereo%20Receiver&source=prodClass

Just wondering if anyone else has any other opinions/experience.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wibla posted:

I'm still using an old Pioneer VSX-1015 connected to my Samsung 4K TV via optical, works just fine.

This upgradeitis a lot of people have is bullshit.

That's about the same era of Sony whatever the gently caress I have... :hfive:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you recommended me this a while back:
https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-8270&class=Stereo%20Receiver&source=prodClass

Just wondering if anyone else has any other opinions/experience.
I have the Integra version of it, pretty sure they're 99% the same. I love the thing but I'm not sure if it's worth it over just running a surround amp in stereo unless you're dumb like me and buy inefficient speakers. I can say the remote is complete balls though. There's also a Pioneer built on the same platform with a smaller amp and better remote.

If you don't need to switch HDMI though the receiver and are just running audio out from the TV I'd just get something used.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's about the same era of Sony whatever the gently caress I have... :hfive:

:hfive:

I'm sure lossless audio is better, and though I'm fairly picky on audio quality, I also spent a few years derping around the oceans as a sonar operator so my hearing isn't 100% anymore :v:

I am looking at upgrading, but not necessarily to the newest generation, I'd rather buy used and get more bang for the buck. E.g. a Pioneer LX-52 or 72 or thereabouts.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

codo27 posted:

scrubs season six posted:

I think you need 2.0a and I can't find any specs that list whether or not the 676 is 2.0a, so, uh, who fuckin knows?

I'd probably email Onkyo and ask them. I'd be surprised if it didn't have 2.0a but I don't really keep up with HDMI specs because my PJ is 1080p so anything will work.

Other than that, I like Onkyos a lot so go for it.

I was looking at this one too. As far as I can tell (from Wikipedia) the 2.0a spec added support for HDR. Period. So if the receiver supports HDR (which it does) it must have at least 2.0a.

The manual on the website also says it supports 4K/60 and 4:4:4

Zero One fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 8, 2017

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
It's that time again, the seasonal dump of Polk's cheap speaker series on Amazon (and subsequent ripple sales, silent price matches across Newegg etc). I'm not linking anything, this isn't affiliate bullshit, I'm just sharing my cheat sheet for what's a good price that you can get from Amazon or another comparable retailer. This info worked for me at getting people to have slightly better audio at very modest prices. Better than soundbars, that's for sure.

Here's your buying guide of historic price floors. If your current price is this or lower, pull the trigger. These are all the entry Polk products, they're on sale for the next month.

T50 Floorstanding - 75, single
T30 Center - 65
PSW10 10" Sub - 70
T15 Bookshelf - 50, pair

Then there's the sales on the slightly nicer line, which tend to only last for like a week and actually will sell out. You'll probably see any sales on this poo poo pop up on slickdeals or featured in an email

CS10 center - 80
TSi100 Bookshelves - 115 pair
Tsi200 Monitor size - 180 pair
PSW505 12" Sub - 160

Polk's Floorstanding speakers above 100 bucks have got to be the most absurd level of product churn imaginable. I typically see like 5 years of annual product revisions and minor 25/50 price differentials on any retailer's site at any given time. Amazon right now has 5 pages of Polk floorstanding speakers. I can't be bothered to get to the bottom of them, but suffice to say if it has 3 5.25s and a tweeter it's probably going to run 150 on sale.

I haven't done a similar price dive yet on Klipsch but those are showing up on sale frequently nowadays too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I'm interested in buying some speakers for my roommate this Christmas. Earlier in the year he got a Sony str dn1070, so I'm reading that the fancy Dolby stuff is not gonna happen, but I'm still kinda curious if there is a recommended speaker set for 7.1 capabilities.

They're definitely gonna have to be budget options, as I'm already strung thin with buying gifts for relatives and other friends, but I can reach out to some friends and see if they want to help out if there's a baseline pricewise I should start with.

Basically, he's used his receiver only for his vinyl record player, and while he's been interested in setting up a complete system he's been a little overwhelmed with the options available. So I know temporary speakers are kinda frowned upon, but I gotta get this guy started somewhere.