Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Relin posted:

you can enjoy the suffering of idiots who bring it on themselves, while at the same time realizing that the plutocracy enabled this way of thinking and then desire to help elevate their position in life. hth

I don't disagree with this it's the part where we go from schadenfreude to writing them off as not worth helping that I find gross because real talk if I hadn't been exposed to leftist thought at the right time I would almost certainly be one of those people right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

trump

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

got any sevens posted:

for millennia people just killed other tribes to solve their problems

why'd we stop doing that

The modern world just means you could the other tribe a free bucket of opioid pills for their town.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't disagree with this it's the part where we go from schadenfreude to writing them off as not worth helping that I find gross because real talk if I hadn't been exposed to leftist thought at the right time I would almost certainly be one of those people right now

it's all okay then. no one thinks you are worth helping either.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

same

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I don't disagree with this it's the part where we go from schadenfreude to writing them off as not worth helping that I

lol shut the gently caress up

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i didn't even much care for the first benghazi, and now this

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

if I hadn't been exposed to leftist thought at the right time I would almost certainly be one of those people right now

if you are from a southern or flyover state and you're willing to slam your head against a wall of ignorance then yes, be the local grassroots change. its probably the only way anything will change in sons of those states

but dems from california, or new york, or massachusetts, say, trying to reason with these people? a complete waste of time

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if you are from a southern or flyover state and you're willing to slam your head against a wall of ignorance then yes, be the local grassroots change. its probably the only way anything will change in sons of those states

but dems from california, or new york, or massachusetts, say, trying to reason with these people? a complete waste of time

Is that a confederate themed av/username?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This post is real stupid on every possible level good job

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

lol

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Let's start with the assumption that it's Dems who are trying to reach people and not the left, and then move on to the implication that new York isn't red once you get out of the city and doesn't have a whole bunch of lovely broke communities, rural and Urban, scattered across upstate

New York only goes blue in presidential elections because of the city, my dude, the rest of the state is pockets of blue scattered among a hellscape of red depressed areas

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Let's start with the assumption that it's Dems who are trying to reach people and not the left, and then move on to the implication that new York isn't red once you get out of the city and doesn't have a whole bunch of lovely broke communities, rural and Urban, scattered across upstate

New York only goes blue in presidential elections because of the city, my dude, the rest of the state is pockets of blue scattered among a hellscape of red depressed areas

https://i.imgur.com/HcoMo6N.gifv

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

this dude is a true comrade

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I've gotten a rabid conservative in southern Indiana to admit Hillary would have been a better president based on the GOP's hatred for public lands and conservation. He probably won't vote Democratic because he's still pretty racist, but there's a chance now he might not vote at all. He's also started bitching publicly about Trump to other conservatives, which I'm hoping will demoralize them.

Trick is to try to commiserate over something specific that affects us and then loop around to why the GOP is the problem on that front, and ultimately every front. Sometimes its best to not even mention the direct politics until you've had that conversation a few times so they internalize the point without feeling attacked at first.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

no, let's not. i was throwing you a bone and now you're trying to talk about upstate new york, which is among the least politically relevant areas in the country. i just couldn't care less, even if this were the thread to talk about it (it's not)

Burt Sexual posted:

Is that a confederate themed av/username?

eh.. it's actually more of a subtle/crude sexual double entendre.. from long before the alt-right, back when a username that literally means "mentally retarded southerner" could in no way be interpreted as pro-confederate. tbh i have been thinking of a change recently

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

no, let's not. i was throwing you a bone and now you're trying to talk about upstate new york, which is among the least politically relevant areas in the country. i just couldn't care less, even if this were the thread to talk about it (it's not)

eh.. it's actually more of a subtle/crude sexual double entendre.. from long before the alt-right, back when a username that literally means "mentally retarded southerner" could in no way be interpreted as pro-confederate. tbh i have been thinking of a change recently

Then why did you respond dipshit

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:chaostrump:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Grammarchist posted:

I've gotten a rabid conservative in southern Indiana to admit Hillary would have been a better president based on the GOP's hatred for public lands and conservation. He probably won't vote Democratic because he's still pretty racist, but there's a chance now he might not vote at all. He's also started bitching publicly about Trump to other conservatives, which I'm hoping will demoralize them.

Trick is to try to commiserate over something specific that affects us and then loop around to why the GOP is the problem on that front, and ultimately every front. Sometimes its best to not even mention the direct politics until you've had that conversation a few times so they internalize the point without feeling attacked at first.

Trouble is that they'll flip back more often than not when they're back among their peer group.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Grammarchist posted:

I've gotten a rabid conservative in southern Indiana to admit Hillary would have been a better president based on the GOP's hatred for public lands and conservation.

:psyduck:

When has the GOP ever been in favor of conservation and protecting public lands? Nixon?

For my entire lifetime their position on national parks has been "drill it, strip mine it, pave it over and fill it with Wal-Marts"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:trumppop:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Agean90 posted:

Case and point:

Where was this from?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Grammarchist posted:

They weren't going to vote for Trump either until the loving Comey announcement. It got every single fucker up and out of their chairs.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grammarchist posted:

Not voting at all is loving ideal because it means no R votes downballot either and I'm goddamned sick of Hollingsworth sending me postcards about how he loves are guns and are troops

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

texas

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

When has the GOP ever been in favor of conservation and protecting public lands? Nixon?

perhaps you have heard of this fellow Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

It's crazy that I've lived my entire lifetime with a Republican party that is fundamentally unable to actually create anything lasting or good, only destroy destroy destroy

Strange how the GOP has like a 5% approval rating with people under 35 lol

Boomers: "Whatever, once they become homeowners they will vote R! Also why won't these durn kids buy my home for 450k that I paid 50k for!"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

it's in my HOA agreement that I have to tick the 'R' box as soon as I start owing taxes at the end of the year instead of getting a return

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this is the most disappointing thread on the forums

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Right pre-Nixon.

Ever since Reagan the GOP has been about murdering the earth as profitably as possible.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
whoops

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
My entire family is convinced Trump is winning and they're getting all the things they wanted despite their life being the exact same, taxes n all.

Rushi has issued a correction as of 08:27 on Nov 7, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Rushi posted:

My entire family is convinced Trump is winning and they're getting all the things they wanted despite their life being the exact same, taxes n all.

people that watch fox news have no grasp of reality

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

i don't think anything else we could possibly post in this thread will top this image

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BraveUlysses posted:

i don't think anything else we could possibly post in this thread will top this image

don't be so sure, we have plenty of time for trump to crush a west virginia coal miner under the wheel of his motorcade just to prove it won't lose him any votes

Princess Died
Jun 29, 2017

:perfect:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Grammarchist posted:

80% of canvassing, right here.

The remaining 20% is parking and theorycrafting how to set up the first 80%

People subconsciously know what issues they have with their own party. You don't, but americans tend to want to put their best foot forward with a friendly looking stranger. As a result, you can usually get someone's easiest, most obvious gripes pretty quick: "Well I know he's a billionaire, but..."

Past that it's just practice.

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Nov 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/politico/status/928089728938889216?s=17